Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hacker attempt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
warrior_allanon
this is my first attempt at a hacker and he's very closely based on the character that robin williams did the voice for in the movie "Fern Gully"

Batty Coder
Ork hacker

Body 4
Agility 4
Reaction 4
Strength 3
Charisma 3
Intuition 4
Logic 4
Willpower 4
Edge 4
Essence 4.38

Skills (active)
Pistols 3
Long arms 4
Dodge 3
Etiquette (m) 3 (matrix +2)
Perception 4
Etronics SG 4
Computer
Data search
Hardware
Software
Cracking SG 4
CCombat
EW
Hacking
Pilot GC 3

Skills (knowledge)
20th Cent TV 3
Corp Matrix
Sec procedure 3
Chat rooms 2
OS 3
Gang ID 2

Skills (language)
English N
Or’zet 2
Japanese 2

Qualities:
Buggy ware I (Augmentation pg21) Internal commlink on glitch will pick up a random TV/trid show and cross with his skill wires to make him act out a character from the scene

SINner (SR4) has a legitimate SIN number

Combat monster (runners companion) must make a will save to keep from entering combat, (physical or matrix) if injured/wounded

Codeslinger (SR4) adept at attack programs

Cyberware:
Skillwires R5 (expert system alphaware)
Sim module (modified for hot sim alphaware)
Datajack
Cyber eyes R3 (alphaware)
+vision magnification
+image link
+flare compensator
+low light
+thermal
+smart link
Internal commlink (alphaware)
Base: Meta link (upgraded/customized)
Response 6
Signal 6
Firewall 6
System 6

Gear and Lifestyle
2 month middle lifestyle
Meta link commlink (external Customized)
Response 6
Signal 6
Firewall 6
System 6
Fake SIN (rating 4)
Active soft (Rating 3)
1- hidden arm slide
1- concealable holster
Armor clothing
Armor Jacket
2-Ares Predator 4
+ Silencer (2)
+ Ex Explosive ammo (60 rnds)
+ Regular ammo (30 rnds)
SM-4 sniper rifle
+ internal smartlink
+ Silencer
+ Ex Explosive ammo (30 Rnds)
if you want his programs list i'll give it to you but its basically the archetype list with most of them at 5
Seth
A few points (I just rolled up a hacker and got critiqued too)

• To get response 6 requires a restricted gear quality as availability is greater than 12. Keep the other attributes Firewall/system...at 6, as you can upgrade the response later.
  • Skillwires 5 also requires restricted gear. (Consider buying some skill wires...see comment below on pirated programs)
  • Consider optimised for stealth for the commlink (they roll and need stealth threshold to spot you when you log in, so the higher the better)
  • The programs can have options, and ergonimic/optimised are useful, Mute is awesome on Exploit.
  • Don't forget the AR gloves, simsense link etc that let you actually use the commlink (I did as well...)
  • PuShEd adds 1 to just about every computer operation
  • Look at Nanotech: neocortical is interesting (I don't like it...other people do)
  • Intuition is the most important matrix stat IMO (cybercombat kills...strike first).
  • Look at the encephalon and decide if you like it
  • Code slinger quality for hacking on the fly is nice
  • I don't think you have bought programs...consider pirated s/s (p94 of unwired IIRC) as its 10% the price, but has a monthly maintenance

Hope thats helpful
PoliteMan
Ok, a couple quick things:
-Get the hacking skill up to 6. You need it.
-Ok, I can see reasons to have both Pistols and Long Arms but I can't see any reason to have Pistols, Long Arms, AND Skillwires. Drop Long Arms and just skillwire it.
-Ok man, why do you have alphaware when you have an Essence over 4? You badly need more ware.

That's the obvious stuff. Now there's a character decision to make. You have the basic hacker package but that's really more of an add-on than a character template in itself. If you want to rock the Matrix you need a lot more ware and kit to be a dedicated hacker. If you want to do Hacking+Fire Support with that Sniper Rifle, look into things like Muscle Toner. If you want to take that Pilot skill somewhere, go Hacker+Rigger (I could really see this with the "Batty" theme, love that movie BTW). Let us know how you want to go with this guy.

PS. Look into Move-By-Wire 2. Yes, it's expensive and a ton of Essence but it boosts Reaction, Dodge, meat IP, and acts as Skillwires 4.
Thanee
QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 3 2011, 11:37 PM) *
[*]To get response 6 requires a restricted gear quality as availability is greater than 12. Keep the other attributes Firewall/system...at 6, as you can upgrade the response later.

Not only that... the commlink also can only be upgraded to base value +2, so the Metalink isn't high-level enough to begin with, in order to reach Response 6 in the end.

[*]Skillwires 5 also requires restricted gear.

...and Skillwires 4 is good enough, anyways, since Skillsofts are limited to Rating 4.

[*]Consider optimised for stealth for the commlink (they roll and need stealth threshold to spot you when you log in, so the higher the better)

That doesn't help. Optimization only gives you bonus dice when using the program, it does not increase the Rating (which is the threshold when you roll against Stealth).

[*]I don't think you have bought programs...consider pirated s/s (p94 of unwired IIRC) as its 10% the price, but has a monthly maintenance

There's a comment about it at the bottom. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seth
That doesn't help. Optimization only gives you bonus dice when using the program, it does not increase the Rating (which is the threshold when you roll against Stealth).
There's a comment about it at the bottom

Thanks didn't spot either of those
Sengir
QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 3 2011, 11:37 PM) *
[*]Don't forget the AR gloves, simsense link etc that let you actually use the commlink (I did as well...)

He's got a sim module wink.gif
Mardrax
QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 4 2011, 04:02 PM) *
He's got a sim module wink.gif

Way I read it, you're going to need an implanted comlink to go with that, if you're going to implant it at all. The module is something to plug into a comlink to allow it to process simsense, after all. Also, it might be listed as a separate cost in the table, but it's only mentioned as in "may be implanted at additional cost" under the comlink entry. Simrig might, and probably would be a different story.

Reading fail. He's got an entire tricked out implanted 'link, in fact.
sabs
Well, the real trick with skillwires:

Skillsoft R4
+PlusCode R3
+Personalized
effectively a 5 in a skill, using 1 'skillwires' slot.

So, with Skillwires of 6, you could have 6 effectively R5 skillsofts running at all times.
It costs money of course, an extra 6000 per skillsoft.
And really 10k/skill vs 16k/skill is.. not that much more, especially compared to the karma costs.
Alternatively:
If you have enough software skill:
it's a threshold 6(1 Month) extended test to code them yourself.
completely doable.

DataSearch of 6 specialty Pirate Havens if your GM will let you pirate such things.
otherwise:
Software 6 specialty Skillsoft programming.
It's quite doable for a hacker to have. And, I even have a viable gun bunny build who can do that kind of work pretty effectively.

sabs
He has a Datajack.

Datajack means never having to say your sorry.
Put the datajack in your shoulder. Run the wire to you commlink.
Done.
Thanee
QUOTE (sabs @ Feb 4 2011, 04:22 PM) *
And really 10k/skill vs 16k/skill is.. not that much more, especially compared to the karma costs.

Especially since it's 40k/skill vs 46k/skill since SR4A... however, it adds up fast. biggrin.gif

Pirating Personalized Skillsoft is at the very least a little weird...

If you have tons of those (pirated or written yourself), you will have some serious issues with degradation, too.

Bye
Thanee
sabs
oops yea, forgot it was 10k/rating smile.gif

God damn, Skillsoft clusters are SO worthwhile.
You pirate the skillsoft, and then add in personalized
Thanee
God damn, Skillsoft clusters are SO worthwhile.

Only because they are based on the old SR4 cost. If you use them correctly (and recalculate the cost), they are 4x more expensive as the listed price.

You pirate the skillsoft, and then add in personalized

Ok. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
sabs
Two Threshold 6 interval 1 month programing tests just aren't that hard.
Sengir
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 4 2011, 04:06 PM) *
The module is something to plug into a comlink to allow it to process simsense, after all.

It does not need to be plugged into the link, just connected to it via PAN. So an implanted sim module and a commlink in your pocket are perfectly fine wink.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (sabs @ Feb 4 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Two Threshold 6 interval 1 month programing tests just aren't that hard.

No, surely not. It's the time that adds up. smile.gif

Even the 1 week tests for patching are close to undoable due to time constraints (usually; whatever usually means here biggrin.gif).

Bye
Thanee
sabs
This is why I like to actually buy Skillsofts legitimately. A 1 time cost is much better, much cleaner.

Whipstitch
Two questions: What books are being used and how many bps were spent on gear? I ask that because turning some Strength into Muscle Augmentations/Toners is a decent way of nabbing a die or two if you've got some wiggle room with your essence and BP caps and because just from glancing at your sheet I would assume you're using BBB only.

Anyway, as a general optimization trick I tend to just pick one type of Firearm skill and stick with it, particularly for characters that aren't intended to carry the team to victory in a full-on fire fight-- I prefer to leave the Heavy Weapons+Automatics type combos to the guys that interested in packing an assault rifle with an under-barrel grenade launcher, for example. That's because ultimately those skills can be more than a little redundant, particularly since by the RAW there's precious few advantages for using a sniper rifle instead of a H/MMG or assault cannon. Also, as has been pointed out, some of the stuff you've picked up isn't available at character generation without the Restricted Gear quality, including your fancy brief case rifle.
Thanee
QUOTE (sabs @ Feb 4 2011, 06:05 PM) *
This is why I like to actually buy Skillsofts legitimately. A 1 time cost is much better, much cleaner.

Yep, if you can afford the 40k~46k each, that is certainly better, especially since Registration and Copy Protection are not much of a problem there.

But it's expensive.

Bye
Thanee
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
Lol thanee something looked odd about your character in our game. Im using SR4, not SR4A (you can see that in the books list) you may want to go check that out if you calculated those costs as such.

Thanee
Oh? Ok, I guess I didn't notice that. grinbig.gif

No problem, I don't think it will affect that much besides the Skillsoft costs (and who am I to complain for getting those for a quarter of the price biggrin.gif).

I will have a look later and revise as necessary. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
warrior_allanon
thanks everyone, i'm fixing to print this off so i can fix the character.

This is my first hacker attempt and was really a wild card mental idea for me as well, usually i run a straight up Gunslinger Adept, who, since i've actually been playing him since 3ed is absolutely killer, (i think i posted his stats somewhere, but shifted to 4ed he is an absolute bad 4$$)

on my cyber side i tend to try and squeek by with as little essence loss as i can get away with because it leaves room for improvements later on.

as for the stuff about the comlink, i didnt realize you were that limited, i didnt catch that in the main book upgrade (hardware) section. Also, as for what books i'm using, i'm using all the core rulebooks so keep the suggestions coming i should have his new build up by next monday at the latest.
sabs
Cyberware I find important for a Hacker;

Encephalon (II if you can, I for sure) +2 matrix skills, logic linked.
Math-SPU +2 math, encryption, etc.
SimSense Booster
Nanohive

Bioware:
PuSHeD +1 Logic Linked Skill tests
Cerebral Booster R2 +2 Logic

Nanites:
Neocortical R3 +3 Logic linked skill tests, when not under stress

I like to use used-stnd because even though it uses up a bit more essence, it's MUCH cheaper..
Those implants give you anywhere from +3 to +8 depending on the matrix action and the stress level.

Commlink:
Avalon 4/4 (with a response upgrade of 5, don't worry about the signal upgrade yet.)
Custom Interface
Optimized: Exploit (probably)
Hardened
Biometric lock (nice to have)

Software:
Common Use:
Analyze 6 + Ergonomic / Edit 6 / Browse 6 / Command 6 + Ergonomic / Encrypt 6 / Purge 6 / Reality Filter 6 + ergonomic / Scan 6

Find out if your GM will let you buy pirated software during character creation, or if he's going to saddle you with paying full price for 'Registered' software at character creation.

Hacking:
Armor: 5
AttacK: 5
Biofeedback Filter: 6 OR 5 + ergonomic
Black Hammer Optional
BlackOut Optional
Data Bomb Optional
Decrypt: 6
Defuse: 6
ECCM: 5 + ergonomic
Exploit: 6
Medic: 3
Sniffer: 5 or 6
spoof: 3 to 6
Stealth: 6
Track: 3 to 6

But this is money intensive..

Drone:
Micro-tapper bug x 2 if you can swing it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012