Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Average pay for a run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
I've played a good number of games under different GMs and normally we get paid say $5k-$20k. I started reading through some prescripted runs I'm running and I noticed the first one, First Run, pays $20k per person plus a big favor from Novatech (a VERY big favor), Dragon Hunt which is a basic PI style job (in theory) pays $50+k, plus medical costs!! Glancing through several other runs, I'm seeing runners get $5k+ regularly as a bonus alone. Have my previous GMs been stingy with me all these years? Or is FASA just being generous with my money?

Crimson Jack
To make it worth my players' time, I normally have to keep the runs above 100k or else they just turn it down. We have 4-6 players in our group, so you figure that's a minimum of 25k each... eh.
Kagetenshi
There's always a balance between gameplay and realism. On the one hand, most jobs just wouldn't pay that much for a group (though a solo runner could rake in a fair amount), but on the other, it's no fun if it takes you a decade to save up for your next deck or piece of Beta-grade cyberware.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
I usaully pay between 5 and 10K per run, with about 2 runs per month game time. throwing in the occasional Big one every 6-8 runs
Crimson Jack
I dunno, I've got quite a few SR game modules that have 100k+ paychecks as the reward for the run. Doesn't seem too outlandish to me.
nezumi
I think I should have specified per person per run : ) Otherwise we're going to have a lot of big numbers out there. I'm running a ten person group, so that IS a lot of money.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (nezumi)
I'm running a ten person group, so that IS a lot of money.

But would it really be? The Johnson probably doesn't care if it takes one runner or one hundred runners to pull off a job...he's going to set a price based on other things. It's not like he says "You know, this looks like about a 15K per person job, so I'll just count up the runners at the meet and do the math from there." He is going to put together a flat rate, and the runners are going to have to divide it up from there.

Granted, you have the metagame stuff to think about. But with ten people on a single team they shouldn't expect to each get a month's worth of living expenses out of a single run. That's why it's a good idea to have a small a team as possible...less splitting up of paydata.
Connor
I've always figured hiring runners is like hiring a band. You don't pay each musician in a band and you could care less if they're a four-piece band or they bring in another 5 guys to play random instruments. You just have a set amount of money you're going to pay them and they get to divide it up between the members as they see fit.

Likewise, a Johnson isn't going to care if one shadowrunner or twelve pull off the job, as long as it gets done to his satisfaction and such. Similarly, he's got a certain amount of money he's going to pay, as a lump sum, regardless of the size of the team.

I figure jobs should be able to range in price quite a bit. Although, if the job only pays nuyen.gif 5000 then it shouldn't take more than a day to do and shouldn't involve anything too terribly complex, like border crossings, smuggling, etc.

A nuyen.gif 100,000 job should be quite a bit more complex, or just that much more important. If you're being overpaid something is obviously up and there should defnately be other interested parties that are going to want to know what you're up to.

Both of the jobs could be simple wet-work or smash-and-grab or extractions, but obviously the nuyen.gif 100,000 job is going to be the more difficult and the one with the most long term consequences.

That being said, most of the runs our group does range from about nuyen.gif 25k to nuyen.gif 100k, with the rare few being even more lucrative than that. Unforutnately from a player standpoint once you're out of the 'low-level' street game taking jobs that don't pay much and runs that are just not usually worth the time. Economics are involved here. The usual Shadowrunner has expenses that have to be met. Gear, transportation, wear and tear, time, etc. Those things factor in and you don't want to take a job that's going to cost you more in the long run unless it's going to boost your rep or some other intangible that you feel makes up for the difference.

wow, that got long... talker.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
There is an advantage to saying that a job is payed by headcount. You can save money if someone dies.

Johnson view: Call a meeting, offer half of (allocated resources/# of runners) each. Let them negotiate up a little. Do not offer health benefits or life insurance. If more people show up asking for money, split the result of above math by the new number of runners. If less show up, then you got the job done under budget and should get a raise.
Steel Machine
Here is a side question, does any one else have players who at times negotiate seperate payments? I.e. the "Mage" feels like he is worth more therefore if the group at large is offered 5k a piece he'd drive a 7.5K bargain.

Also does anyone offer incentives to take good as payment? In the past I have had players take up to 125% the value of the payment in negotiable goods. (Which has ranged from in one case weapons, to another in which they were paid in water.)

In my own opinion the meet is the most dangerous portion of the business deal for Mr. Johnson. Its the time he has the most to lose with the least to gain. I generally set my (average) Johnsons up like this:

Mr. J. is an expendable assett-he knows that if he is captured or comprimised he'll be written off as a loss and terminated if at all possible. Johnson's generally have a three man security detail-a Physad and a team leader (Usually some sort of Merc style archetype) and a driver who can be a rigger. Mr. Johnson in my games carries a few basic items-a roll of quarters, a signal locator, a pair of sunglasses, a pack of gum/box of certs, and a pocket secratary. Mr. J knows his people are in the crowd somewhere or watching-a lot of Johnsons make records of the runners for future reference: pictures, holos whatever is possible. (Its not always possible just so we know.)

I haven't had anyone jack up a Johnosn in game for a long time-my players believe their characters are professionals, and a true professional doesn't go around roughing up the furniture. (And thats generally what Mr. J's are a useful piece of the background to sit on, but not something worth bothering over.)

Now obviously this doesn't cover everything or every type pf Johnson, so there are exceptions, variances and etc.
Firewall
I was kinda gettin used to 10-20 k nuyen.gif until the current GM offered 250k nuyen.gif each. And that was before I noticed lots of research files in the lab. A serum that can reverse UGE? How much is that gonna be worth? (in the end, no idea; the IC was better than I was)
Kagetenshi
I'm definitely going to be negotiating for more than my teammates, what with having drones around and all.

~J
toturi
I can see free lance runners or runners just starting out as being paid on a contract basis. But I also see experienced runners being paid by the hour like an accountant or a lawyer.

Different Johnsons and different corps have different ways to dealing with runners. Sometimes if the runners get their jobs through a fixer, i can see how the fixer will allocate only a certain number of runners from his stable to handle contract jobs, or put more guys if it is a per head job.
Voran
Heh. Some of the older published adventures had some sweet potential payouts.

Biggest one I've seen so far is in the Mercurial adventure. You could potentially gross over 2 million at the end of that run. (Subject to fencing stuff afterwards)

A decker could find a nice 750k fund ready for transfer in one of the nodes in the building Mercurial was being held in. And in one of the physical rooms was an enemy decker with a Fairlight excalibur.

The funny thing was the run itself was only going to pay 5k+ per runner to start. But after all the betrayals and double crosses in the adventure, looting and pillaging help make up for the headache nyahnyah.gif
Firewall
Wha..? I played the Mercurial adventure and only got about 80k nuyen.gif from it all. Grr... Damn my GM (who later became my wife)... An Excalibur though... (though I was the only one to get more than 5k, so maybe I did find some of the extras)
Voran
Oddly enough, I found a decker in that adventure could potentially end up with WAY more loot than the rest of the team. There were some big funds available in various matrix nodes, even assuming you gave back the 180k you were paid by the weasel manager to steal from the goodguy, you could get 120k from the weasel, 750k from the guys holding Mercurial, and another good chunk of change from raiding that chiba cyberfacilities files.

Plus the fairlight.

And...it occurs to me that maybe I should have put *SPOILERS* in this, but...frankly, the adventure was from 1989! smile.gif
Firewall
It is odd, Mercurial was the first ever campaign I played. Firewall, the character, was made for that campaign and I had very little idea of quite what I was doing as I rolled him up in the middle of a freezing cold field.

I could kick myself in hindsight, I was running overwatch and never bothered to explore. The team was running through without searching and I was too busy with I/O and slaves to look properly.
Daishi
Payment usually works out to 20k to 100k per member. With a lump-sum offered by the Johnson. One job every two-three months is common, and with the overhead of being a shadowrunner, that's not too bad, I think. One the things I've always kept in mind was the stolen car metric. If my character used his skills to make more money stealing cars over the same time period as the run, would he bother taking the run?
Voran
If at all possible, I usually try to pick up the various fallen weapons and portable gear. WHile it may not be useful for me to try and fence all of the stuff, they make wonderful bribes to gangers and others. Sometimes you get to pick up gear you didn't have in the first place.

Taking foci off fallen mages is nice. Have you seen the cost those things go for?

simonw2000
Oh yeah
Darkest Angel
You get a lot for them, but unless you can break the bond to the mage right away you're walking around with a tracking device - a ritual link can go both ways, and they still have the mage's body.
Kagetenshi
So death doesn't break the bond? Do you have a page reference?

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)
You get a lot for them, but unless you can break the bond to the mage right away you're walking around with a tracking device - a ritual link can go both ways, and they still have the mage's body.

Huh, why do They have the body??? First rule of SR: "Bodies ARE loot." biggrin.gif

P.S. If I was ever offered 250k for a run i'd turn it down because that kind of salary is waaay above the threshhold where it is cheaper to kill your employee than pay them.
Firewall
QUOTE (blakkie)
If I was ever offered 250k for a run i'd turn it down because that kind of salary is waaay above the threshhold where it is cheaper to kill your employee than pay them.

You think? The Johnson also sent along a heavily cybered dwarf with us who doesn't seem to flinch when things explode. And they do. Here is an example of what we are up against, from last night. Three simultaneous events.

1) I hear a scream, two AK-97s emptying their clips on full-auto and a tearing of cloth. I turn to see the mage standing behind the Samurai looking sheepish. The samurai is lying on the floor shaking and screaming while his cyberware (which was, up to that moment, installed) sits in a heap next to him.
2) The Shaman and the adept come running past me as the door they just used hits the wall behind me and is followed by 5 nagas.
3) I look inside the safe and read the words, 'This side toward enemy'...

250k nuyen.gif does not seem enough any more.
blakkie
...bringing us to reason #2 for turning down 250k runs, they are quite obviously suicide operations. smile.gif
lacemaker
I've been playing since first edition and I've noticed a real reduction in the size of payments in published adventures since that time.

A lot of the early adventures had runners ending up with between 50 and 100 K nuyen for a run, while the shadowrun companion suggested a scale for cash to karma which (apart from it being a very stupid idea to allow karma to be bought for cash) would have had me giving out 30+ karma pretty often...

I tend to accept the higher payment scale as both desirable and realistic. A key part of improving characters in shadowrun is letting them buy the cool stuff they couldn't afford (or get hold of) at char gen. If you've got them clearing 2 k a month after lifestyle costs that aspect of the game pretty much disappears until you specifically decide you're going to give them a run which lets them get their alpha wired 2... I've never had a problem with players ending up too comfortably off, even with largish payoffs there's plenty to spend it on, and you can introduce more realistic expenses in the course of a run.

As for realism, corporations will be willing to pay a great deal for shadowruns which will influence revenues to the tune of millions, tens of millions or even hundreds of millions of nuyen, and even smallish runs will typically have impacts on this scale - you need to cut the pay when runners are working for private citizens, but that's not a huge problem.

From the runner's end, pay scales in the 10K nuyen range per month are simply unrealistic - you're talking about guys with a million dollars worth of gear, magical ability found in one person in 10,000 and/or world calss skills in a variety of areas. Instead of risking their lives running the shadows most ordinary runners could be earning massive amounts of money using their skills in other sectors. Adopting low pay scales many teams could make more stealing cars. And I just hate it when a team feels it has to stop and steal the pistol of every downed security guard because fencing random gear could doubling their pay for the mission...
Steel Machine
I think each group has to find their own happy medium-if million dollar runs don't unbalance your group, then I see no problem with it. If ten thousand nuyen is a god send, well as long as you're having fun, who cares?
Capt. Dave
I agree completely with lacemaker on this one. In the game I GM, I use a fairly generous pay scale, and in exchange my runners no longer drag bodies and equipment to a Bulldog Step-Van they bought for the purpose.

PC1: Hey, Dave, can I somehow filter out these Boosted Reflexes from this guy and sell them?
ME: That's awful.
PC1: Yeah...but can I do it?
ME: How 'bout I up your pay per run and we don't do this every time?
PC1: Sounds fair.
PC2: Umm...then can we sell the van back at full price?
ME: I really hate you guys sometimes.
PC2: Yeah...but can we?

GMs - Pay your runners well, because you'll regret it when they cheerfully announce they have a new van, and suddenly rival the Yakuza in organlegging and
"used" cyberware sales.
blakkie
QUOTE (Capt. Dave @ Mar 23 2004, 01:26 PM)
GMs - Pay your runners well, because you'll regret it when they cheerfully announce they have a new van, and suddenly rival the Yakuza in organlegging and "used" cyberware sales.

...and the downside to that happening is? The Yaks have to get their merchandise from somewhere. wobble.gif I think i remember a thread here a long time back talking about how team had bought a refrigerated van for storing bodies to deliver the bodies is optimum condition. wink.gif

In our group we definately end up dealing in organlegging and "field tested" cyber sales (spotty $$ there due to damaging), and ripping lose anything man-portable (and a few things not man-portable). Also day jobs come into play, like pimping....though that example didn't work out that well for the SO's character since he was constantly getting shook down for more money than his 2 girls were pulling in. frown.gif

We actually do tend to see carjacking by our group and the occational armed robbery. It kinda takes me back to my very first session of SR. The GM put me in my house some ways from the rest of the group, I hadn't taken a car. They were in the Barrens. The Barrens didn't sound to me like a place that had bus service, or even a place that taxis would regularly visist...without a good deal of cash. So faced with the prospect of walking, i naively just walked a block over from my house and jacked a car.

From the runner's end, pay scales in the 10K nuyen range per month are simply unrealistic - you're talking about guys with a million dollars worth of gear, magical ability found in one person in 10,000 and/or world calss skills in a variety of areas. Instead of risking their lives running the shadows most ordinary runners could be earning massive amounts of money using their skills in other sectors.

But don't forget what 'runners are, they are outlaws. Many are in the shadows and living life as a wage slave, or in another "legitemate" occupation, because:
1) "Normal life" is too boring.
2) Living in society at large is not possible due to past legal issues.
3) They are effectively unemployable due to personality quirks, such having a tendancy to rip off people's head and spitting down their gaping necks.
4) Living outside the shadows is not feasible due to physical/social conditions (like being HMVV infected, or being a big freakin' rat).
5) They got sucked into 'running by the thought of making it rich through no work.
6) Did I mention the boredom factor?

Of course you tend to get into Way of the Gun type scenarios, and the like. But many people living as far on the wrong side of the law as runners do are eventually going to end up in a very messy situation, even in the 6th world. I believe Harvey Keitel's character summed it up best in Thelma & Louise:

Max: You know, the one thing I can't figure out are these girls real smart or real real lucky?
Hal Slocumb: Don't matter. Brains'll only get you so far and luck always runs out.
Steel Machine
Yeah, I would be inclined to agree with that, but maybe not everyone is intrested in replaying Reservoir Dogs each game. (Their loss I say, but it is their game too.) It always becomes a choice of whats fun and what isn't-and sometimes people forget the GM needs to have fun too.
Smiley
You're right, brains DO only get you so far and luck DOES run out. That's why the pay scale has to be worth the risk.

There are, of course, other factors. e.g.:

How new to the streets the runners are
What they've gotta do
How much they can charm outta Mr. J
Various expenses (like the Bulldog Stepvan for... acquisitions. But i digress.)
The resistance they're going to meet
Accomplishments above and beyond the call of duty

Bottom line, every run is going to pay a little different.
BitBasher
Here is a side question, does any one else have players who at times negotiate seperate payments? I.e. the "Mage" feels like he is worth more therefore if the group at large is offered 5k a piece he'd drive a 7.5K bargain.
No, because the shadow market is a buyer's market. As a general rule there are always more teams than jobs, so either the group can agree, or they can cause the johnson too much grief, the johnson fishes the job to the next team on the list and the team misses a potential payday.

Also does anyone offer incentives to take good as payment? In the past I have had players take up to 125% the value of the payment in negotiable goods. (Which has ranged from in one case weapons, to another in which they were paid in water.)
I do that, works well.
blakkie
QUOTE (BitBasher)
No, because the shadow market is a buyer's market. As a general rule there are always more teams than jobs, so either the group can agree, or they can cause the johnson too much grief, the johnson fishes the job to the next team on the list and the team misses a potential payday.

Buyer's/seller's market is very clearly a GM's subjective decision. Even the concept of buyer's/seller's market is a term related to past market conditions.

Making waves doesn't bode well, since 'runners are selling Johnsons "convience". But assuming there is an unlimited supply of 'runners, or even that able 'runners outnumber potential jobs and are easily accessable, is certainly pushing it. It was my understanding that 'runners (as opposed to just some street banger) were relatively unknown phantoms, ergo you couldn't just phone up a number you saw in an ad on the local vid to find them?

Kagetenshi
Aren't there something like 200 of them in Seattle? Meaning that any given J has a certain amount of choice, but it's hardly an open market...

~J
Smiley
That definitely WOULD explain why you see all the same names popping up in the books.

As far as buyer's and seller's market... Again, it depends on the job. A group might have every skill needed for a particular run and be seemingly tailor-made to handle it. In this case, a little negotiation might be warranted.

If it's just a thug run, anybody could do that.
Kagetenshi
Hell, you could just go to gangers for that and be done for the price of some assault rifles and maybe a BTL or three.

~J
Smiley
Precisely.
toturi
And have the said gangers would run right into the security detail and get torn up.

I believe that there is only a very small pool of runners in any place. If I remember my Canon correctly at the very best 1 percent of any local population and I think that includes wannabes.
Modesitt
Huh, why do They have the body??? First rule of SR: "Bodies ARE loot."

Let me tell you about last night...

The job itself went smoothly. We had to destroy a convoy of 3 or 4(I can't remember) vehicles. We buried explosives in the road and blew it up without a single casualty on our side.

However, when setting up, Something Invisible hit us. More specifically, my character. He heard a rattling in the bushes, then something hit him for a moderate wound that was invisible. Odd, I had to make two body rolls. Oh well, who cares. Phys Adept has the Astral Sight thingy, so she sighted the Invisible Thing and fired one 3-round burst from her SMG. It drops dead.

It looks sort of like a troll.

The decker/sammy thing says "Dude, let's throw this in the back of the citymaster, I bet we could get a bounty for this!" He drags it back to the citymaster while my char was patched up by the phys adept.

After the job, we drove back to outside Seattle to meet up with the guy we were renting the citymaster from(The run itself took place in elvish hellhole territory, so we had to hire a smuggler to get us and our equipment in). Along the way, the GM asks all of us to make 2 body tests.

When we meet up with him and his cronys, he closes the back of the citymaster and says he'll bill us for repairs. The decker presses him "Hey man, tell us what it is." "Oh, that's a bandersnatch. It's what happens when you infect a troll with HMHVV." "..." "It can infect you by bodily contact, wounds, anything."

Meditate on that. We had just spent several hours driving with the rotting corpse of a troll infected with HMHVV that was already predisposed to being pestilent in the back of the car.

We're planning to donate part of the proceeds from the job to HMHVV research.

We are never, ever going to try to take bodies and sell them again. Loot, MAYBE, but the bodies themselves will stay where they fucking fall.
Smiley
QUOTE (toturi)
If I remember my Canon correctly at the very best 1 percent of any local population and I think that includes wannabes.

EVERYONE is a wannabe at some point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012