Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Settings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hound
So I'm getting ready to start a new campaign soon-ish ( like a few weeks at least, maybe more) and I'm thinking of trying something different, setting-wise. The main city I use is usually Seattle, though I ran one of my favorite campaigns in Hong Kong, and had a small stint of missions in Denver (the whole border-crossing thing came out to be more of an inconvenience than an awesome game mechanic, though maybe that was just my group.)

Also, my runners are almost always just random runners that happen to get thrown together and end up becoming a team. I've never been particularly good at the beginning part of campaigns, and I have never had any runners express interest in starting a campaign with some kind of theme in mind. Like having the characters be a pirate outfit, a barrens gang, a mafia hit squad or any number of other things that I think could be interesting.

So my broad question is, what do you guys think are some interesting settings, both physically and thematically, for a shadowrun campaign? If you can, please include a note as to where one can find more information about whatever you're talking about.

More specifically I'm kind of interested in running a campaign based in Amazonia. The war-torn nature vs technology thing just sounds really fun to me, but I can't really find any good information about it. Would you be able to recommend a specific book or whatever that I might find information about it in?

Thanks in advance smile.gif
Wolfgar
Well, the new pdf WAR details Bogota, Columbia as a battle ground between Aztlan and Amazonia, and while the book itself is receiving criticism, it could suit your purposes. "Shadows of Latin America" never came out as a book, but some the chapters are available on this forum.

As for your more general question, you could try running a game where the players work for Lone Star (or Knight Errant) as beat cops or detectives, or they could work for Doc Wagon as a High Risk Extraction team. They get to run on the other side of things, exploring the 'legitimate' side of the setting. They would have to follow orders, however, to stay legitimate employees and get paid.

Oh, and Sixth World Almanac has a geography section in the back detailing different nations, but that's broad information. I suggest starting there if Amazonia ends up not doing it for you.
Hound
hm, I see I hadn't thought of possibly having them be legit. I could see that being pretty entertaining. Thanks smile.gif
Tyro
This is as close to SOLA as we're ever going to get, I'm afraid. Still, it's better than waiting for Holostreets!

[Edit:] It's still up! Why have they never removed this?
Hound
wow thanks a lot! really cool of them to release the work they have done on the book for free, though of course I'd prefer if they released the actual book.
Tyro
QUOTE (Hound @ Feb 8 2011, 11:57 PM) *
wow thanks a lot! really cool of them to release the work they have done on the book for free, though of course I'd prefer if they released the actual book.

I spend far too much time (from an outsider's point of view) on these forums. The SoLA drama has been something of an in-joke for years. Unfortunately releasing the actual book had become an impossibility; many of the freelancers who wrote the material no longer do any Shadowrun work for various reasons, and most of that material is unfinished.
Xahn Borealis
They said something on Facebook recently about updating the website. Maybe this holostreets thing might actually happen. And maybe all Lofwyr wants is to be loved.
Tyro
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Feb 9 2011, 08:24 AM) *
They said something on Facebook recently about updating the website. Maybe this holostreets thing might actually happen. And maybe all Lofwyr wants is to be loved.

And Buttercup is just an innocent little girl ^_^
CanRay
A little girl that hovers over conference tables and swears at businessmen for a half-hour without repeating herself!
Xahn Borealis
How is that possible? You'd run out of languages.
CanRay
Oh, it's possible. I've heard it happen. In just English. Take into consideration that cursing someone out doesn't necessarily require you to actually curse.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 9 2011, 10:37 AM) *
I spend far too much time (from an outsider's point of view) on these forums. The SoLA drama has been something of an in-joke for years. Unfortunately releasing the actual book had become an impossibility; many of the freelancers who wrote the material no longer do any Shadowrun work for various reasons, and most of that material is unfinished.

Some of it is being incorporated into the alt.War project.
Tyro
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Feb 9 2011, 11:06 AM) *
Some of it is being incorporated into the alt.War project.

Projects like that really set these forums apart smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 9 2011, 07:05 PM) *
Oh, it's possible. I've heard it happen. In just English. Take into consideration that cursing someone out doesn't necessarily require you to actually curse.

And, being a spirit, she'd probably know some wierd languages that Man Was Not Meant To Know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012