Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CNNs Anderson Cooper an Immortal Elf?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Laodicea
http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes...-jane-mcgonigal

(edit with text i intended to put but got in a hurry:) I know Colbert played D&D when he was younger from some interviews he has done. I wonder if he still plays. I'm also wondering if this reference wasn't an accident, but an intentional if well concealed nod to Shadowrun. I also know that Stephen is a Redditor and supplied numerous well concealed Reddit references before he outed himself on his program during an interview in which he talked about Reddit.
CanRay
Please bare in mind that the Internet is International, while this website seems to think it exists only in the USA.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I "love" these websites that don't exhibit things because you are not from the country. I mean, this in a sense, is comparable to the same lack of free speech and free information policy access that the chinese, cuban or other dictatorial countries have...
Laodicea
Sorry for the xenophobic hyperlink. I'm trying to find another link to the same content, but it's proving difficult.
X-Kalibur
That's rather the whole point of Stephen Colbert though. He parodies the extreme right wing so hard that they don't even know they're being made fun of. Hence the apparent xenophobia.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 11 2011, 06:42 PM) *
That's rather the whole point of Stephen Colbert though. He parodies the extreme right wing so hard that they don't even know they're being made fun of. Hence the apparent xenophobia.

Which made his keynote at that correspondant's dinner all the more impressive.
FooBot
its less about being xenophobic and more about copy right laws and streaming internationally.

Same reason we Americans cant get Spotify or access the videos on BBC.co.uk
Mardrax
Nothing to do with free speech. Everything to do with transmission rights.

Edit:
Bah. Ninja'd nyahnyah.gif

I must say I can't like it much either though.
CanRay
Yeah, I know. Canadian Transmission Laws are outright insane. As I can't talk on-topic, I'll just point out one of the insanities of it.

It is illegal in Canada to intentionally attempt to contact Extraterrestrials. No, I'm not joking.
Mardrax
Of course. We all know what happened when Celine Dion landed.

Did I say that? ;p
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 11 2011, 11:40 PM) *

She got her own Vegas headline.
CanRay
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 11 2011, 06:40 PM) *

Did I say that? ;p

Don't remind me... I still can't get her voice out of my head, not matter how hard I poke my brain with the Q-Tip.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Don't remind me... I still can't get her voice out of my head, not matter how hard I poke my brain with the Q-Tip.

I take that to mean that it is legal to contact them domestically then rotfl.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 11 2011, 07:32 PM) *
I take that to mean that it is legal to contact them domestically then rotfl.gif

That would be up to the Judge.
Draco18s
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 11 2011, 01:42 PM) *
they don't even know they're being made fun of

I think that's why I don't like Colbert anymore.

Yes, I realize that he has a right-wing bent (and that its satirical). And I'm a registered Democrat, but....still.

The fact that people don't even realize that he's making fun of them irks me.
CanRay
Yeah, but that's hardly his fault. He's making it fairly obvious to anyone that can think without heavy mental blinders on.

Now, my question is, if he were Canadian, which party would he follow? nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Yeah, but that's hardly his fault. He's making it fairly obvious to anyone that can think without heavy mental blinders on.

Oh, I know. It just irks me.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
i don't understand how you cannot see that he is very satirical towards the conservative elements of society, what bugs me is that much of his stuff is cherry picked just as much as Rush or Glenn Beck etc. Too much of the commentary and tv based entertainment in the US is downright inane.

For clarification yes, I'm conservative, I just think that much of his stuff is clumsy and aimed at a low-brow population, as is the stuff from Rush et al.
CanRay
It's politics. EVERYTHING is aimed at the lowest common denominator. They're called "Voters". nyahnyah.gif And the more you get, the more you get.

"Vote early, vote often." - Mr. Johnson's suggestion for voting for Dunkelzahn.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 07:30 PM) *
Yeah, I know. Canadian Transmission Laws are outright insane. As I can't talk on-topic, I'll just point out one of the insanities of it.

It is illegal in Canada to intentionally attempt to contact Extraterrestrials. No, I'm not joking.

So...
E.T can't call home??

That is just sad frown.gif
CanRay
E.T. would be an illegal alien, and fall under different laws. As E.T. is not a citizen of Canada, (s)he wouldn't fall under that particular law.
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 05:48 PM) *
It's politics. EVERYTHING is aimed at the lowest common denominator. They're called "Voters". nyahnyah.gif And the more you get, the more you get.

"Vote early, vote often." - Mr. Johnson's suggestion for voting for Dunkelzahn.

fair enough on that one canray, I remember reading those old Jim Crow tests they used to keep blacks out of politics etc. I think that when it was applied in one way to one person that it was terrible, however I wonder if that wouldnt be good for us to institute for voting rights these days (to everyone mind you). We have too many uniformed passive and vegetated brains mucking things up as things are currently.

Basic things too like terms and some minor laws etc that people SHOULD know, very much along the lines of the idea that those who dont work for their liberty neither deserve nor comprehend such.

When a movie star or pop culture personality can be counted an "expert" on political issues, society starts to scare me.
CanRay
Yeah, well, blame Radio and Television. "The Medium is the Message." after all.

Before, people had to learn how to think just to be able to communicate properly over any distance. It's called "Reading". The only intelligence required to work a Radio/TV is how to push/turn a button.
Draco18s
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 11 2011, 08:32 PM) *
i don't understand how you cannot see that he is very satirical towards the conservative elements of society

I can see that. I can. I even said as much. What bothers me is that element of society can't see it.
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 12 2011, 12:22 AM) *
I can see that. I can. I even said as much. What bothers me is that element of society can't see it.

Work tech support. You'll find out just how stupid society really is.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Work tech support. You'll find out just how stupid society really is.

*Sigh* I have.

"I.. I.. Its not working!" *click*

Another call, same professor, same problem. He told me he was in room 604 of a 4 floor building.
CanRay
Then you know the stupidity of society.

Sorry I had to bring the memories back. I hope you get out of your corner soon, and stop gibbering madly even quicker.
Yeah I hear ya on that customer service in general is the suck. Lot's of stupid people breathing air and taking my resources nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
You got off lucky. I lost parts of my little remaining sanity, and large chunks of my soul.

And, um, it caused other problems later down the line, too...
Slide7X
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 12 2011, 01:08 AM) *
... and large chunks of my soul.

How much of your Essence did they Drain? grinbig.gif or should it be frown.gif ?
CanRay
QUOTE (Slide7X @ Feb 12 2011, 03:35 AM) *
How much of your Essence did they Drain? grinbig.gif or should it be frown.gif ?

frown.gif

Definitely frown.gif

Let's just say the other "Problems" I mentioned are rather severe, and leave it at that. And that I'm not exactly exaggerating about the "Curled in a corner, gibbering madly" cracks I make.
nylanfs
Idiocracy is coming smile.gif

Love that movie wink.gif
sunnyside
The genius of Colbert is that his character is obviously a parody of the right, but in that guise he gets an excuse to drop great jokes making fun of or demeaning the left, and, because of the parody, he gets away with it, even with his guests.

As a result you can have a room full of hardcore libs and hardcore conservatives and they'll all be laughing through the whole show in spite of themselves.

And you simply don't get that from any other show that gets into politics.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 12 2011, 12:58 AM) *
Sorry I had to bring the memories back. I hope you get out of your corner soon, and stop gibbering madly even quicker.

Oh I'm fine. That professor was only a head-desker.
I was also fortunate that I was dealing with staff and faculty (total about 400 people). So there weren't a whole lot of idiots.
CanRay
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Feb 12 2011, 10:45 AM) *
And you simply don't get that from any other show that gets into politics. In the United States.

England and Canada have been doing it for quite some time now. I'm not sure about the rest of the Commonwealth, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Laodicea
I think this is my most successful thread if success is measured by there being not 1 on-topic posting in it.
CanRay
Hey, I'd like to post on topic. But some idiot laws prevent me from seeing what the topic is all about!
Slide7X
rough, my apologies CanRay.
sunnyside
I haven't been watching for a while, but that show wasn't as good as I remembered.

Still though, I appreciated the gaming references. And in that photo Cooper does look a little elfish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012