Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bullet-"proof" briefcase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.redferret.net/?p=25638

closest thing in SR is the body armor bag in Arsenal.

well, hell. Checking the company that makes them reveals this:

http://www.bulletproofvestshop.com/product...-Bag-Black.html

Given the upheaval in the middle east, i may start looking into getting myself one and some handguns to go with it.
Fatum
There's a lot of concealed wear armor vests that provide the same level of protection.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 12 2011, 04:52 PM) *
There's a lot of concealed wear armor vests that provide the same level of protection.

vests do not cover your face and arms. spin.gif
Fatum
K, there are separate armour pieces for that, too.
The briefcase doesn't even cover your torso reliably.
Smokeskin
I almost bought a set of bulletproof luggage a few years bag. My gf thought it was pretty silly, if there were terrorists at the airport, not getting holes in our clothing would be the least of our worries...

Yes my dear, the bulletproofing is for the clothing wink.gif
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 12 2011, 11:52 PM) *

Which might need a license, probably not allowed to go on a plane, might give you annoying attention at security, and is inconvenient to wear.

By comparison, bulletproof luggage has almost no downsides.
Fatum
Whether the armour needs a license or is allowed on a plane depends on the country you're in (and I believe the case will raise questions, too).
And it's certainly less inconvenient to wear than a briefcase with similar added weight (and in fact, I believe the added weight would be heavier than the vest since the briefcase aims to cover your whole silhouette), same way as it's easier to wear certain weight in a well-fit backpack than in a briefcase.
Also, wearing personal armour is certainly less inconvenient than eating a stray bullet because you weren't fast enough to take cover behind the armour unrolled from the case or because it ricocheted and hit you from the wrong direction.
CanRay
I've heard of Kevlar Backpacks being suggested for schoolchildren.

And one Gun Control Group demonstrated the "Protective Ability" of school textbooks to encourage "Gun Free School Zones" in Colleges and Universities.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 12 2011, 11:52 PM) *

Guess so, seems the company also makes armored clothing (their jeans jacket makes me think of the old SR standby that i keep adding my characters).
InfinityzeN
Kevlar is pretty worthless without a plate. A single high powered (.40, .45, .357, .41, etc) round to center mass will result in catastrophic blunt trauma if all your wearing in kevlar. I'm talking broken/cracked ribs and massive bruise. This is because the kevlar will keep the bullet out of your fleshy bits, but will not slow down or spread the impact than a couple of inches. The reason is to pass the test, the armor can allow the round to penetrate no more than 7mm.

Class IIIA should be what your going for if you want good pistol protection. Get one that is also certified for stab protection.
Fatum
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Feb 13 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Kevlar is pretty worthless without a plate. A single high powered (.40, .45, .357, .41, etc) round to center mass will result in catastrophic blunt trauma if all your wearing in kevlar. I'm talking broken/cracked ribs and massive bruise. This is because the kevlar will keep the bullet out of your fleshy bits, but will not slow down or spread the impact than a couple of inches. The reason is to pass the test, the armor can allow the round to penetrate no more than 7mm.

Class IIIA should be what your going for if you want good pistol protection. Get one that is also certified for stab protection.

Broken ribs and massive bruise is still better than a bullet hole.

Also, are there class III concealed wear vests?
CanRay
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Feb 13 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Kevlar is pretty worthless without a plate. A single high powered (.40, .45, .357, .41, etc) round to center mass will result in catastrophic blunt trauma if all your wearing in kevlar.

Very true, but most people use a 9mm. The plate also makes the vest a little less concealable as it's more rigid and bulky than just the vest. A very loose shirt would help with that, but that provides hand grips for hand-to-hand combat (A bigger concern when firearms aren't as available or likely.). Checks and balances I guess.

I thought the .45 ACP had a bit of an issue with penetration due to low velocity. The TDI Vector gets around this by rate of fire, doesn't it? Or am I thinking old brass and powder here?
AppliedCheese
Re: .45 ACP Pen.

I believe in Norway several lend-lease tommy guns were having problems due to all the heavy winter clothes that people were wearing (granted, this is when heavy winter clothes meant tens of pounds of wool and fabric, not a gortex shell), to the point where at longer ranges some of the rounds didn't even penetrate, and at shorter range they were substantially less "knockem dead .45"
CanRay
The .30 Carbine round bounced off of winter coats at 150-200-yards. Of course, it's a pistol round fired from a carbine barrel, and wasn't really designed for such type of shooting.

And, having a Swiss Army Surplus Mountain Greatcoat from the '50s or '60s (15-20 Pounds of Canvas and Fur!), I can certainly see how it would be good as armor.
Mardrax
Note use of gambesons and similar padded armors in the late medieval to renaissance era. Not much more than wool and linnen, but they'll dissipate quite a bit of blunt force.
CanRay
And silk for use against arrowheads and early pistols... Yeah, you got penetrated, but it didn't go far inside, and you just pulled on the shirt and *POP*, so you don't have festering clothing in the wound, either.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 13 2011, 01:25 AM) *
Whether the armour needs a license or is allowed on a plane depends on the country you're in (and I believe the case will raise questions, too).
And it's certainly less inconvenient to wear than a briefcase with similar added weight (and in fact, I believe the added weight would be heavier than the vest since the briefcase aims to cover your whole silhouette), same way as it's easier to wear certain weight in a well-fit backpack than in a briefcase.
Also, wearing personal armour is certainly less inconvenient than eating a stray bullet because you weren't fast enough to take cover behind the armour unrolled from the case or because it ricocheted and hit you from the wrong direction.

I assume your unique perspective comes from not living in the West, where people don't routinely wear body armor, and not really understanding the issues of convenience, which has much less to do with weight than bulk and heat.
Fatum
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 13 2011, 09:26 PM) *
I assume your unique perspective comes from not living in the West, where people don't routinely wear body armor, and not really understanding the issues of convenience, which has much less to do with weight than bulk and heat.
Oh of course it's much more convenient to haul a heavy, and, what's worse, useless, case with you at all times than wear concealed armour if you're as worried about your security as
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 13 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Given the upheaval in the middle east, i may start looking into getting myself one and some handguns to go with it.
suggests.
Also, protip: concealed armour is called concealed for a reason.
Smokeskin
Fatum, look at the facts. I have no chance of getting a license for body armor, even if i did it wouldn't allow me to wear it in an airport in a foreign country, and concealable armor really isn't concealable under my typical vacation uniform which is a t-shirt, and this weight issue you keep bringing up with bullet proof luggage really is non-existant, and the usefulness of a luggage shield is obvious.

But hey, keep on trying to convince people to wear body armor when flying. It's hilarious smile.gif

InfinityzeN
There are class III concealed vest on the market. Also the .45 ACP rounds used today tend to have noticeably greater ft-lbs of energy. The 200 grain XTP +P rounds I use in my carry weapon have roughly a third more power then classic ball rounds. Even current 230 grain ball rounds pack 5~6% more energy. Also light plates are normally only 1~2mm thick and don't effect the concealability of a vest. They do however add weight. The choice comes down to are you willing to trade taking more damage if your ever shot for the lighter carry weight.

To use SR terms, class III armor is just barely enough to keep the heavier pistol rounds in the stun (extensive bruises) rather than lethal (broken bones) range.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 13 2011, 07:59 PM) *
Oh of course it's much more convenient to haul a heavy, and, what's worse, useless, case with you at all times

Glue books to the inside! Make it more penetration-resistant, while giving yourself and any possible assailant something to read as well. Suggested reading would be the Little Book of Calm.
Fatum
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 14 2011, 12:42 AM) *
Fatum, look at the facts. I have no chance of getting a license for body armor, even if i did it wouldn't allow me to wear it in an airport in a foreign country, and concealable armor really isn't concealable under my typical vacation uniform which is a t-shirt, and this weight issue you keep bringing up with bullet proof luggage really is non-existant, and the usefulness of a luggage shield is obvious.

But hey, keep on trying to convince people to wear body armor when flying. It's hilarious smile.gif
Where did I say anything about wearing it specifically when flying? Maybe about wearing on vacations? Are you arguing with yourself again?
Try to haul a 6 kg briefcase with you at all times. It only seems to be light for the first fifteen minutes, this I am saying from experience.
And no, usefulness of a 175 by 40 cm shield that covers you from one side is hardly obvious, minding that as a bystander you're mostly getting ricochets anyway.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 13 2011, 04:56 PM) *
I thought the .45 ACP had a bit of an issue with penetration due to low velocity. The TDI Vector gets around this by rate of fire, doesn't it? Or am I thinking old brass and powder here?

IIRC, the development of the .38 round in the 20's was in response to the lackluster penetration of the .45 ACP. Police used to carry 1911's and could not take down mobsters who were wearing WW1-surplus flak jackets. The .38 had enough velocity to penetrate, and further research on stopping power gave rise to the .357.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
I was very sad today when i asked one of my SWAT buddies if you could even obtain a license for Class III (or any body armor for that matter) in CA... he said its super illegal, and if you get caught with it, your ass is going to jail. I really hate CA sometimes, I know you can have it in AZ, had to leave my damned SKS and class 3 wpns there when I left frown.gif.
nezumi
What the hell are you doing in Kalifornia? When I read it split off to become it's own nation-state, I chalked that up as GOOD news.

I read an interesting article about a 'home-made' ballistic vest. They reproduced kevlar using something like silicone gel mixed in with... ceramic chips? I can't remember. I always wanted to test it, and it sounds reasonable to me. Price should be under $200, but definitely hotter and heavier than the real thing (and still not class III).
CanRay
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 15 2011, 04:07 AM) *
I really hate CA sometimes...

Try Canada. Whole damned country... Don't get me started.

*Sighs* And it's only going to get worse.
hobgoblin
Why not everyone move to arizona and have it declare itself independent? silly.gif

seriously, i just found the idea of a bullet proof briefcase a very cyberpunk/SR one.
Fatum
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 16 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Why not everyone move to arizona and have it declare itself independent? silly.gif

seriously, i just found the idea of a bullet proof briefcase a very cyberpunk/SR one.

Know what's cyberpunk?
Google.
Mardrax
A dystopic, almost oniscient Big Brother, acting like it has nothing but the good of humankind in mind?
What's that Android phone in my ears? I can't say that? Oh.
*ahum*
Naw. Google might be cyber, but there's nothing punk about it. wobble.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Feb 16 2011, 11:57 AM) *
Naw. Google might be cyber, but there's nothing punk about it. wobble.gif

You saw what happened in Egypt, right? The .gov takes one of their people, and days later they unveil the 'dial in Tweet' service to ensure that the people can continue to coordinate protests. I keep wondering if David Gavillan made a startup instead of working with Echo Mirage.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 16 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Know what's cyberpunk?
Google.

And that is why i have stopped using its search as much as possible, and ever made use of any of its other services.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 15 2011, 03:07 AM) *
I was very sad today when i asked one of my SWAT buddies if you could even obtain a license for Class III (or any body armor for that matter) in CA... he said its super illegal, and if you get caught with it, your ass is going to jail. I really hate CA sometimes, I know you can have it in AZ, had to leave my damned SKS and class 3 wpns there when I left frown.gif.

Your swat buddy is misinformed.

The relevant law is

QUOTE (California Penal Code )
12370. (a) Any person who has been convicted of a violent felony, as defined in subdivision © of Section 667.5, under the laws of the United States, the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, who purchases, owns, or possesses body armor, as defined by Section 942 of Title 11 of the California Code of Regulations, except as authorized under subdivision (b), is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for 16 months, or two or three years.

(b) Any person whose employment, livelihood, or safety is dependent on the ability to legally possess and use body armor, who is subject to the prohibition imposed by subdivision (a) due to a prior violent felony conviction, may file a petition with the chief of police or county sheriff of the jurisdiction in which he or she seeks to possess and use the body armor for an exception to this prohibition. The chief of police or sheriff may reduce or eliminate the prohibition, impose conditions on reduction or elimination of the prohibition, or otherwise grant relief from the prohibition as he or she deems appropriate, based on the following:

(1) A finding that the petitioner is likely to use body armor in a safe and lawful manner.

(2) A finding that the petitioner has a reasonable need for this type of protection under the circumstances.

In making its decision, the chief of police or sheriff shall consider the petitioner's continued employment, the interests of justice, any relevant evidence, and the totality of the circumstances. It is the intent of the Legislature that law enforcement officials exercise broad discretion in fashioning appropriate relief under this paragraph in cases in which relief is warranted. However, this paragraph may not be construed to require law enforcement officials to grant relief to any particular petitioner. Relief from this prohibition does not relieve any other person or entity from any liability that might otherwise be imposed.

© The chief of police or sheriff shall require, as a condition of granting an exception under subdivision (b), that the petitioner agree to maintain on his or her person a certified copy of the law enforcement official's permission to possess and use body armor, including any conditions or limitations.

(d) Law enforcement officials who enforce the prohibition specified in subdivision (a) against a person who has been granted relief pursuant to subdivision (b), shall be immune from any liability for false arrest arising from the enforcement of this subdivision unless the person has in his or her possession a certified copy of the permission granting the person relief from the prohibition, as required by subdivision ©. This immunity from liability does not relieve any person or entity from any other liability that might otherwise be imposed.

(e) For purposes of this section only, "violent felony" refers to the specific crimes listed in subdivision © of Section 667.5, and to crimes defined under the applicable laws of the United States or any other state, government, or country that are reasonably equivalent to the crimes listed in subdivision © of Section 667.5.

Notice the part that I've bolded. It is only illegal for a person who has been convicted of a violent felony to wear body armor in California, and even then such a person can get an exemption.
CanRay
(b) Any person whose employment, livelihood, or safety is dependent on the ability to legally possess and use body armor...

Would "I drive on the LA Freeways. A lot." count? nyahnyah.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 19 2011, 01:28 AM) *
Notice the part that I've bolded. It is only illegal for a person who has been convicted of a violent felony to wear body armor in California, and even then such a person can get an exemption.

Is it an exemption so that ex-convicts could serve in the SWAT or wha?
Stingray
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 19 2011, 10:25 AM) *
Is it an exemption so that ex-convicts could serve in the SWAT or wha?

..being convicted felon, right to own a gun (2nd am. (USA) ) is denied for them
but as negotiator (unarmed) for SWAT...( i do not know...)
Fatum
Why would you need a right to own a gun to serve? State owns the guns they issue to you.
CanRay
I'm pretty sure you need to pass a criminal background check to be a police officer.

If you don't, well, it just leads even more credence to people believing that they're "The World's Largest Street Gang".
nezumi
I suspect SWAT buddy is speaking of reality, at times diametrically opposed to the law.

In California, like a number of states, it's perfectly legal for any citizen to get X, Y or Z - assuming they can get a judge to agree they have 'need'. In order to establish 'need' normally requires you be someone of note, like the mayor, or the mayor's body guards. You know, the sort of people an officer would recognize walking down the street and so not arrest. There are plenty of stories in my area of people who tried to establish need for concealed carry - regular threatening phone calls from an enraged ex being the one I remember best. The judge ruled, since phone calls leave no physical evidence of the message, they can't be submitted as evidence of a threat, and the request was denied.
Chrome Tiger
We have the same thing here in Michigan. The big caveat to purchase and owning body armor is committing a violent felony. And even if you have committed said violent felony, you can get an exemption if you can show to a judge that your employment or livelihood depended on it.

And let me tell you as a side note... Owning a Blackhawk MOLLE rig with level IV rifle plates in it helps give you a very firm understanding of armor encumbrance rules. wink.gif
CanRay
I own a Swiss Army Surplus Mountain Greatcoat from the... '60s, I think? Treated canvas and Fur. Lots of fur.

That alone taught me encumbrance rules.

Also, the usefulness of my Tilley Vest when I was doing field work as a computer tech showed me just how much gear a person can really hump without a backpack if he's wearing the right type of rig. (It's a type of hiking vest, BTW.). My boss scoffed at it when I first put it on, then stopped when I pulled out everything we needed for the job out of it alone.

I only added more as the job went on. I figure I was about 15 pounds of gear alone for my "Standard Carry", and had specialty items for specific jobs that I could load up into it. In all the runs we did outside of the office, we only had to go back to the car for equipment once, and it was something that didn't fit into a briefcase, forget the pockets of a vest.

I got a lot of weird looks from clients, but they turned into looks of admiration as we got the job done quickly and professionally despite how weird I looked.

It's downstairs right now, stripped down to bare minimum of equipment as part of my GoTH plan, ready to be filled with whatever's needed for the drekpot I'm dropped into. Planning on moving it upstairs as flooding is a potential issue.
Chrome Tiger
I have a photo/field vest that is probably very similar to what you have. I can pack that thing to insane levels. I use it for photog outings as well as doing search and recovery/disaster management for the Sheriff department (my part time volunteer gig when needed). One of the best articles of clothing I have ever purchased, really. And laugh if you want, but I bought it at Disney's Animal Kingdom a few years back. I looked like a damn tour guide, but it was nice not having to carry my full camera bag around.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 22 2011, 09:17 AM) *
I suspect SWAT buddy is speaking of reality, at times diametrically opposed to the law.

In California, like a number of states, it's perfectly legal for any citizen to get X, Y or Z - assuming they can get a judge to agree they have 'need'. In order to establish 'need' normally requires you be someone of note, like the mayor, or the mayor's body guards. You know, the sort of people an officer would recognize walking down the street and so not arrest. There are plenty of stories in my area of people who tried to establish need for concealed carry - regular threatening phone calls from an enraged ex being the one I remember best. The judge ruled, since phone calls leave no physical evidence of the message, they can't be submitted as evidence of a threat, and the request was denied.

Swat buddy was mistaken, though. There is no licensing requirement for body armor. It might get some strange looks from the police, but they can't actually arrest you for it, not legally.

By the same token, you can openly carry a weapon in California cities provided that the weapon isn't loaded (and you can have a loaded magazine on your gunbelt). This will get you some funny looks at might even get you stopped, but the police can't arrest you for it. They might, anyway, though, if they haven't been informed of the law.
CanRay
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 22 2011, 01:47 PM) *
By the same token, you can openly carry a weapon in California cities provided that the weapon isn't loaded (and you can have a loaded magazine on your gunbelt). This will get you some funny looks at might even get you stopped, but the police can't arrest you for it. They might, anyway, though, if they haven't been informed of the law.

Police arrest people for taking pictures with their cell phones. In public places. Where there's no expectation of privacy.

There's a lot of "haven't been informed of the law" going around, and they keep making sure they aren't informed.
Thirty Second Artbomb
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 15 2011, 12:07 AM) *

Here, have the only reference I could find to body armor in the CA penal code.

QUOTE (California Penal Code Section 12022.2)
(a) Any person who, while armed with a firearm in the commission or attempted commission of any felony, has in his or her immediate possession ammunition for the firearm designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor, shall upon conviction of that felony or attempted felony, in addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed for the felony or attempted felony, be punished by an additional term of 3, 4, or 10 years. The court shall order the middle term unless there are circumstances in aggravation or mitigation. The court shall state the reasons for its enhancement choice on the record at the time of the sentence.
(b) Any person who wears a body vest in the commission or attempted commission of a violent offense, as defined in Section 29905, shall, upon conviction of that felony or attempted felony, in addition and consecutive to the punishment prescribed for the felony or attempted felony of which he or she has been convicted, be punished by an additional term of one, two, or five years. The court shall order the middle term unless there are circumstances in aggravation or mitigation. The court shall state the reasons for its enhancement choice on the record at the time of the sentence.
© As used in this section, "body vest" means any bullet-resistant material intended to provide ballistic and trauma protection for the wearer.

(d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2012.

Emphasis mine. Additionally, please note that Class III body armor is an entirely different beast than Class III firearms: classes of body armor describe how well they protect you, with Class III being one of four classes of protection; "Class III firearms", by contrast, are a variety of Toys What Go Bang Or Boom that are regulated by the National Firearms Act, and you only require a "Class 3 license" if you intend to import, manufacture and sell, or just plain sell NFA-regulated items. If you simply wish to own one yourself, you need:
  • approval from the ATF
  • a signature from the county sheriff, or city/town chief of police
  • to pass an extensive background check (including submitting a photograph and fingerprints)
  • to fully register the firearm
  • to receive ATF written permission before moving the firearm across state lines
  • to, finally, pay a tax - typically $200, but it varies depending on the device you want to get your mitts on.

And of course, the device you want has to be legal to own under the destination state's laws in the first place, or the state troopers are going to want to have Words with you...

Please, please note that I am not the most well-educated person on this subject. After all, I'm stuck in California too. All of my information comes from a series of google searches, a firehose of raw boredom, and a ham-handed compression of the information on Wikipedia about the NFA. Don't you just love the internet? wobble.gif
nezumi
I would encourage anyone following hyzamarca's line of thought to grab his AR and trot down to wal-mart and see what happens. While he not may technically be arrested, for most of us it will seem eerily similar.
Chrome Tiger
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 22 2011, 02:06 PM) *
I would encourage anyone following hyzamarca's line of thought to grab his AR and trot down to wal-mart and see what happens. While he not may technically be arrested, for most of us it will seem eerily similar.

Yeah, I will let someone else do that. All it takes is one nutjob 'vigilante' citizen that does not understand the law or a police office with the same lack of understanding, and it would make for one upset and possibly wounded/kill legal firearm carrier.
CanRay
I'd offer, but I'm Canadian, we can't even buy firearms at Wal-Mart. frown.gif

Canadian Tire, on the other hand...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 22 2011, 02:06 PM) *

A pistol in a belt holster is more reasonable. And there is an organization of people who do just that in California.

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012