Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character concept attempt: dark magical girl
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
warrior_allanon
when i ran a D&D campaign a few years ago i developed a habit of basing my re-appearing NPC's on webcomic characters, this is an attemp at making one as a PC, see if you can identify the comic and the character devil.gif

Human Mystic adept (400bp)
Body 3
Agility 4
Reaction 4
Strength 4
Charisma 4
Intuition 3
Logic 3
Willpower 3
Edge 2
Magic 5
Skills (Active)
Close Combat
CCSG: blades 4
CCSG: clubs 4
CCSG: unarm 4
Etiquette 3
Leadership 3
Con 3
Spellcasting 4
Perception 4
Dodge 4
Gymnastics 4
Skills (Knowledge)
Web comics 3
Gang ID 5
Cult psych 5
Magic theory 5
Language
Japanese N
English 2
Adept Powers
Astral percept
Nimble fingers
Killing hands
(Strikes)
Inertia
Critical 4
Penetrate 3
Counter 2

Spells
Shatter
Increase reflex
Mana bolt
Stun bolt
Heal
Contacts
Fixer (piro) 1/1
Gear
Middle lifestyle-1month
Survival knife
Extendable baton
Stun baton
Armor clothing
Leather jacket
Commlink- Hermes Ikon w/Mangadyne Diva OS
R4 Si3 F2 Sy3
+AR gloves
+Sim rig (modified hot sim)
+Sub vocal mic
+Micro transceiver
+R4 Fake SIN
+R4 Fake License (stun baton)
Glasses
+Image link
+lowlight
+Thermal
2070 Dodge scoot (used)
Tanegar
Tohya, from Megatokyo. The fixer's name gives it away. smile.gif
Alister
so, is this wolf-girl?
Udoshi
If you're going for a real magical girl effect, you really ought to be a Possession tradition, and make a habit out of Self-possessing. (possibly pick up Channeling).

Use spirits with Energy Aura(sparkles), of course.
Natural Weapon(it came from hammerspace!) is a close second.

In terms of general character advice, I would advice droping the Close Quarters skillgroup, and picking one skill for your close quarters defense. (this nets you 24 points)
Using those free points, I would strongly consider buying Restricted Gear: Power focus 4, a power focus 4, and binding it in character creation. Its 29BP, but it makes SUCH a difference for a mystic adept. The +4 dice to spells really make up for some shortcomings in your Magic Split, and can be used to give yourself more adept powers without sacrificing your dice pool in spellcasting or summoning. As a magical girl, you're pretty much obligated to have a power rangers power up symbol, or similiar.

If you're considering using this advice, I would definitely go with the Unarmed skill. Natural Weapon counts as unarmed, which means various Adept Unarmed Powers work with it - as long as you're using Channeling, because then its you in control. I think. Would need to rules-dive to find out.

For your spells, I would strongly reconsider your lineup
You have Shatter, a Physical type physical damage Direct touch spell
You have Manabolt, a Mana type Physical damage Direct LOS spell.
Then you have Stunbolt, a Mana type Stun damage Dired LOS spell.

Remember that Mana spells only work on Living or Astral targets, and Physical spells are necessary to affect physical objects. You generally want one LOS spell for anti-astral/spirit work, and one for blowing up physical targets.
Stunbolt is awesome. Its drain is favorable, and its strictly better than banishing in terms of effectiveness and drain.
Change manabolt to Powerbolt. I think you'll find i works better for physical threats.

I'm a fan of Death Touch, personally - you can overcast it at force 12 for only 4 drain. Shatter is good too, though. An interesting tactic with Multicasting opens up when you have both Heal and damaging touch spells - if you multicast both, and succeed, sets of wounds can only be Healed once. If you heal an enemy with a very weak, low-hit heal, then you can effectively block OTHER mages from stepping in to save their life with magical Healing. Kind of a worse death touch, really.
TheOOB
You are missing two of the four skills no shadowrunner should ever be without, without a really really good reason. If you are going to run the shadows, you need infiltration, etiquette, pistols, and perception. You don't have infiltration or pistols

Infiltration: This is shadowrun, shadow is in the name. Runners do illegal things, and often don't want to be seen doing them. Also, in SR, the person who gets surprise usually wins, so being stealthy will win you more fights then the best armor.

Etiquette: If you piss of mister J you can kiss that extra reward good bye. And when your face is going a confidence scam, you at least don't want to ruin it.

Pistols: Guns are the most effective means of fighting in Shadowrun, bar none. Pistols are cheap, reliable, have decent range, concealable, legal in most areas, and deadly. Even if your combat focus is in another area, you should pack heat and know how to use it. A Colt America loaded with stick and shock rounds can still take out most people in one shot.

Perception: Surprise wins fights, this works for you as often as against.

Others notes. You don't need the Close Combat Skill Group. Pick one of the skills to be good with, and ignore the rest(or put a couple of points into unarmed if your focus is clubs or blades). You have three of the skills in the influence skill group, just take the group instead, it's cheaper and you get four skills. You don't need a close combat skill, and gymnastics, and dodge. Close combat skills work just as well as dodge for melee defense, and gymnastics does everything dodge does except provide the free melee defense. You should drop dodge.

Also you're really not using the "Mystic" part of Mystic Adept. With the low amount of magic dedicated to magician pursuits, combat spells are garbage...in fact pretty much any spell the requires an opposed test should be avoid, they won't be reliable and certainly not worth the drain. Focus on health and detection spells, as well as manipulation spells that effect the environment. Also take summoning at 4. It will be the most valuable 16 BP you'll spend. Spirits are the reason to play a magician or mystic adept. Even low force spirits have a number of incredibly useful powers.

Eq wise, no have no good armor, you spent a good penny on your comlink and accessories with no skills to use them properly, no ranged weapons, and no contacts worth anything(you should at least have a tailsmonger to buy magical goods, and at least one contact with enough loyalty to let you crash with them while stuff blows over).

I realize this character is ment to be based on another character, but this build is not a shadowrunner...there needs to be a few changes so they don't die within the first couple runs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012