Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Miniatures
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ggodo
So, I know that Shadowrun isn't meant to be played rigidgrid like D&D, but since I have the battlemat and an endless love of minis I've been using rough sketches of the area and minis to give an idea of what's happening in combat. The problem is the High Fantasy and Space Marines don't do a good job of being cyberpunk. The orks do ok, but not everyone's even remotely orky, and the Tyranids should never be a player race. Where do you guys find cyberpunk miniatures? I've seen some official Shadowrun ones around, but they're hard to find these days and lack variety. Any help would be much appreciated.
pbangarth
I've used some Mechwarrior figures in the past. They might be more easily found.
Squinky
You could get some greenstuff and tear up some of those 40k bits you have lying around smile.gif

Hasselfree has some decent although armored dwarves. Other stuff as well.
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/

Reaper miniatures Chronoscope line has some decent stuff. And a nice preview gallery.
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures

Em4 has some stuff.
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html
The future skirmish line they have has some unique items:
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Future_Skirmish.html

You can also find low cost heroclix and heroscape miniature singles online and repaint and or greenstuff up for a custom.
Raven the Trickster
We've been playing with a lot of Star Wars miniatures, which I've been finding on the cheap since the game was canceled recently. They are somewhat lacking in orcs and even moreso trolls though. They also tend to take a little bit of modification and repainting to work just right.
Drace
I use to use tons of minitures back in the day, before I ended up having to sell them because of space and lack of cash. Mostly had a mish-mash with tons of GW stuff. Heres a few sites and ideas for ya though. (And I know you said no 40k, but a few here can be used I think, better than space marines atleast.) Also, trying to put up stuff that doesn't need alot of converting and shit.

Necromunda:All are armed models, but good for low level runners, armed civilians, grunts and most of them are great as gangers(kinda makes sense).
-Orlocks: Make great guerillas, mercs, and the older ones (which I prefer) are good for alot of civilian and labour work characters
-Delaque: Spy/conspiracy based antagonists/contacts, smugglers who watch too many trids etc
-Van Saar: Guards, mercs, military, militias and anything that you feel would be uniformed up in bodysuits and milspec-ish gear
-Ratkins:Tribal and NAN models, tribal gangers, low end Z-zoners
-Scavvies: Glow city gangers and craptastic gang scum (rusted stilletos come to mind here), poor grunts from 3rd world countries
-Arbites: SWAT, HTRT members, High-end gov't/corp troops
-cawdor/redemption: Hard to find a spot for them, but used them for the UB back in the day. Could be used for cults and the like though.

Tau: Mostly for High end, heavily equiped milspec troops. Used the fire warriors, path finders, and stealth suited troops for High end grunts and important chars, with a few head swaps for the helmetless troops. Used the drones as well, drones (one of the easiest things to make actually, see lower down.). Also, used the kroothound as a basis for a few different paranormal animals, some had the spines clipped off though.

For any other GW stuff though, I used it on a item per item basis. Some necron stuff became drones, some tyranid and DE stuff were paranormal/mutated animals or biodrones. IG was easily troops, but were too bland.

Rezolution:While alot of the models are damn amazing, and beautifully, done, they are even better since alot of it can be used in SR. A guy happens to be floating? Hell he is probably the mage, geek him. The huge guy with the big gut and the small gun to compare it to? Well he is an ogre or with some green stuff a troll.

Grenadier models:While technically not around, they have some less than decent models out there, but hey, ya may like them....

em4minitures - Future Skirmish: Yet again, pretty damn nice models, and some better 'civilian' models to boot. Got reporters, business men, musicians and the like all mixed in. Plus only a few bucks each.

Wyrd games:Some models, not much, but some that could fit in, depending on your campaign.

Copperstone:Another good site, has some of the same stuff as grenadier did, so may have the rights to their crap now, even named future wars aswell, so more than a possibility. So far, only ones I own (and still do) are the bio-chem soldiers. Also have random bits and gear for scenery

And one of the last ones Ill put up here, Heresy Minis, which has some nice models, but not much of it is that cheap, when compared to other places, and very little (but some) fits.

Oh and for the SR minis, here is the site that has them Ironwind and if you need to find some more stuff, Noble Knight has alot of OOP models on there site for sale to check out.
Kronk2
Look into AT 40, Hot Wheels, and Micro Machines.
______
EDIT FOR CORRECTION!!
_______
It is AT 43!!!
Here is the link
ggodo
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Feb 22 2011, 10:10 PM) *
Look into AT 40, Hot Wheels, and Micro Machines.

WHat is AT 40? all I'm getting off Google is American Top 40 and rather neat little car.
To the rest of you, thank you very much. I was completely unaware of quite a lot of these. Rezolution looks delightful, and EM4 has everything I could possibly want. The hunt for trollish stuff continues, but, hey, I got Nobz, and I can't spend all my money on miniatures.

Edit:

After looking through Copperstone's stuff I simply must have the robo-hitler. How's that for your Prime Runner?
Drace
Ha, was looking at that for a cyborg-scientist for a run I was going to do in a mock up sr4 minigame I am trying to work on between sleeping and doing nothing.

There is some damn nice models out there, now if I just had a job to get some money to buy some, then got layed off again to collect ei to have time to play.....
ggodo
QUOTE (Drace @ Feb 22 2011, 10:57 PM) *
There is some damn nice models out there, now if I just had a job to get some money to buy some, then got layed off again to collect ei to have time to play.....

I know that feeling, I'm a student, so I'm waiting for the point where I can afford them and have the free time.
Critias
Spinespur has a few that might work.
Kronk2
QUOTE (ggodo @ Feb 23 2011, 02:51 AM) *
. The hunt for trollish stuff continues

Try some of the Ogryn figures from Warmachine
ggodo
hmmmm. . . Warmachine . .. I'll look into them, but PP and GW seem to be really expensive.
Squinky
Ebay is a decent place to find stuff that might be worth a re-paint. Also, GW orks and greenstuff can make a decent Troll.

There is usually some models from the Assualt on Blackreach set priced fairly, or you can look for old bags of bitz.
chinagreenelvis
Official SR miniatures: http://www.ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=15
sunnyside
Not minis exactly, but I've enjoyed using character pics stuck to a coin or chip. This allows more custamizability based on the characters in question (especially if you have an artist, but there is already a ton of stuff on the net ). It also lets you get a lot of flavorful and accurate mooks on the table without a lot of expense or time.

I've found this works well because this isn't 40K where you're always hunching over the table to check line of site or something.

Rather it's more likely that you've got some whiteboard and/or some print outs of floorplans. So you just slap down the 2D map and start moving around the coins and scribbling down details or structural damage as appropriate.

Another thing I like about coins is being able to flip them over. After some perception checks you can put some coins upside down to represent a spot where they've heard something or kinda can make something out, than flip them over to show what they are when appropriate they get better info.
BishopMcQ
CthulhuTech is launching a minis skirmish game this August. While I don't know the exact figures that will be in the sets, if there are mortals (NEG etc) they'd probably work well. Not an answer for today, but maybe for the future.

Also, if your FLGS has a loose figures bin like mine does, you can sometimes find Necromunda figs which work really well for gangers and the like.
ggodo
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Feb 23 2011, 08:27 AM) *
Another thing I like about coins is being able to flip them over. After some perception checks you can put some coins upside down to represent a spot where they've heard something or kinda can make something out, than flip them over to show what they are when appropriate they get better info.

On that front I'v been using those glass almost hemispheres as the hearing counters, and grabbing the appropriate mini hen players get a good look at it. My group's art talent is currently touring Europe, so sketches are going to be sketchy, and I just love minis.

Bishop, I love the Cthullhutech minis idea, I love the Cthullhutech setting, and probably would be playing it if I could find the books anywhere and GM 3 games at once. It's bad enough having to swap between d20 and d6s without adding d10s and math into it. Those minis need to come out.
phlapjack77
I really like sunnyside's idea of using coins with character pictures on them - I would say, go that route. Cheap, simple, useful and kinda cool.

If you want actual miniatures, I've bought from these guys before, pretty good service. Star Wars minis worked well.

Miniature Market
pbangarth
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Feb 25 2011, 04:36 AM) *
I really like sunnyside's idea of using coins with character pictures on them - I would say, go that route. Cheap, simple, useful and kinda cool.

Yeah, dimes for little people, quarters for the trolls. Or, in Canada, loonies and toonies for the big ones. And if times get bad, you can spend your PCs for a loaf of bread.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 25 2011, 11:51 PM) *
Yeah, dimes for little people, quarters for the trolls. Or, in Canada, loonies and toonies for the big ones. And if times get bad, you can spend your PCs for a loaf of bread.

Nickels for normal size people, pennies for innocent bystanders...dollar coins for big-bads? Maybe the Sacajawea ones for the coloring...

This could be the start of something huge!
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 25 2011, 11:51 AM) *

I remember hearing a story about soldiers serving overseas using bullets as Minis. One MGer used a tracer round for his character.

One game, he showed up and it wasn't there, "What happened?" "I had to fire him."
Fauxknight
QUOTE (ggodo @ Feb 23 2011, 01:51 AM) *
WHat is AT 40?

AT43, all prepainted plastics, but they look pretty decent.

Infinity has some nice ones I've been wanting to pick up for Shadowrun.
spica2501
Inifinity miniatures are perfect for Shadowrun.
Raven the Trickster
QUOTE (spica2501 @ Feb 25 2011, 04:27 PM) *
Inifinity miniatures are perfect for Shadowrun.

They aren't necessarily good for everything, but they have probably the best hacker minis you can get.
Squinky
Those Infinity miniatures look awesome! Thanks for the link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012