Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC - Shadow's Dawn: Diving into the past
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PoliteMan
[quote name='PoliteMan' date='Jul 29 2011, 04:48 PM' post='1092269']
[The ninth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Invisible Castle]

They're all so fat! Scrawny little arms, oily skin. They're like demented little dolls. At this rate, none of them will even have the courage to face me.

Immortal Li stand awkwardly for a few moments, trying to find an appealing group, then turns and follows Boris. At least the Blood Elves aren't so...slimy.
sabs
[The ninth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Invisible Castle]

Marduk walks proudly in, as their fellowship are introduced, head held high. He makes his way through the crowd, making small talk, as he makes his way towards a familiar figure. "Passions blessing upon you Stolaus, I'm surprised they managed to pry you away from your expedition for this." The older human he addressed smiles, "Marduk, my old friend. Well, when the First Governor invites you to such an event, it is, impolite to refuse."

The two catch up on current events, Stolaus prying Marduk for more information about the great deed accomplished, and drawing a small crowd Marduk goes into a very academic focused retelling of the epic story.

Aria

Ryl strode confidently into the hall. Despite her apparent youth she stood out amongst the crowd of pretty young things draped over the venal and obsequious toadies that littered this place.

She was resplendent in her silks and the blood pebbles adorning her pale bare skin glittered silver, rather than red, giving the lie to her human façade. A light scimitar slapped gently against her leg, its scabbard decorated but the hilt functional and unadorned. Moving deftly through the crowd she looked out for anyone outside of their group that she might know. This place was a gathering of the great from across the known world and given her travels there were bound to be people here that Ryl might have had a passing acquaintance with.

Studiously avoiding a merchant prince that she had bested on more than one occasion she moved slowly towards the group from Wyrmwood, or the Blood Wood as it had now become…she preferred the old name, it spoke of the true order of things…The Queen’s machinations had brought them here and it would be worth keeping an eye on her.

Smiling she approached a familiar face on the edge of the Blood Elves’ delegation. Aria was a Questor and Truth Seeker that Ryl had had cause to turn to in the past

“It has been a long time…”

Alyena

Alyena pauses just inside the door and scans the room. She takes in the different groups and notes who is courting whom and those that are politely ignoring each other. She grimaces slightly, never very comfortable with such politicking, then gives herself a mental shake.

"So you wouldn't be here given a choice" she thinks to herself "but as you didn't have a say in the matter make the best of it. The real action starts soon"

With this thought she weaves her way past the other guests in search of a drink. Eyeing the tiny morsels of canapes, each barely a mouthful, she shakes her head, glad she ate before she came. As she does so a familiar figure appears out of the sea of colour.

"Alyena, what a pleasant surprise!" There is a definite twinkle of mischief in the newcomer's eye.

"Karim, if any had access to the guest list, it would be you." Alyena couldn't help but smile at the old human before her. Their paths had crossed several times before as he was the head of the Great Library's Nethermancy school. They had formed an unlikely friendship almost at once. She tilted her head, an equally mischievious smile playing at the corner of her lips as she waited for the next comment.

"So, tell me, when are you going to stop roughing it out in the wilds hunting horrors and other such monsters and come teach at the School?"

The Alyena grins as she wins a silent bet with herself. "Ah, Karim, I am not yet ready to hang up my sword. Unlike some of us" she pokes him in his not inconsiderable belly "I am still fit enough to outrun them if need be"

"Well then lets see what I can do about that. I happen to have a stash of nibbles that will tempt even you into fattening up" as he says this he gallantly offers her his arm. Laughing together, they cross the room to a quiet corner.

pbangarth

Mandala waits for his friends to enter the Great Hall before him. Their entrances as heroes stirs the crowds in the Hall with murmurs and gentle applause. At last only he is left behind. He smiles. Showtime.

The Troubadour (Is there any other?) steps forward and graces the room with his smile. Resplendent in the scintillating silver armour in which he materialized himself, the lights of the room highlighting the intricate scrollwork in the metal as if it were water, he allows the crowd to adore him. He bows deeply to the gathered host, acknowledging their Excellencies with his Radiance. Graciously, he nods and curves an uplifted hand to acquaintances from cities he has visited. Youths of both sexes and many races catch their breath as he smiles and winks to them... such promise in so simple an act.

Nearby, the delegation from Urupa chuffs and whispers as he chooses them, the first to welcome him into Barsaive from the Unknown East, as the first to approach in this gathering of greatness and light.

"So honoured are we, O Hero, to welcome you into our midst this day."

"Nay, esteemed ones from my beloved Urupa. It is my greatest pleasure and honour to once again bask in the friendship of your great city."
He alters his voice, intoning rather than speaking.

"The sun rises over scintillant seas,
My heart soars with pride and joy,
To live among men such as these,
Urupa, Urupa, my home."

The delegation melts into applause. He takes the arm of the rotund wife of the Chief Councillor and asks, "Dear lady, would you be so kind as to be my guide? Please introduce me to your esteemed company."
Seth

As the 10th hour approaches the twin storms close upon the Invisible Castle. The Great Shield of course allows the party goers the option of seeing one of the finest electric storms this decade. Bolts of coruscating lightning strike from the clouds to ground, but just as often from cloud to cloud. The sound would be deafening if not for the magical wards. Small fires are starting in the city, but with the downpouring monsoon like rain it isn't likely that they will spread far.

A large contingent of the party has moved out to the central courtyard to get a better view of the pyrotechnics. Karim looked worried as he spoke to Alyena. "This storm looks like the analog of a fight happening elsewhere. I note the First Governer hasn't appeared, and I fear that she may be one of the participants. But who could the other be?". Lightning flashes and in the flash he is illuminated as a man with a Harliquin mask. "Stay with Fearghas... the spear..."

Aira looks to Ryl: "Much will change tonight. Titan forces will clash, and I see that you are at the heart of it. Take care young one. " the tones of prophecy enter her voice
"The end of days is close
Now and Then merge and become one
The snake strikes to protect his name
Reflected echos reveal the thorn queen's regret
Hero's in a hill of blood awake
Lightning crackles, her face is replaced with that of a hooded man
Verjigorm returns"

Stolus looks worried at Marduk. "You are clever Marduk, we need you in the Great Library. As you know times are difficult, and the doom sayers are doing great business. I ran your horoscope this morning, and I have to say that the doom sayers may be right. Your horoscope was difficult to read. It was as though there were two of you. There is a cusp upon us, and you are at its heart. Why don't you give up this crazy horror hunting, and settle down. Let the younger ones earn their wings..." The lightning flashes and in image of a dead Stolus crushed by fallen masonry appears. "He dies tonight if you don't save him. Stay with him and he will live..." hisses a sibilant voice

Boris and Immortal Li join the blood elf delegation. Looking dangerous yet beautiful, the head of the delegation was Princess Naralerial. Her revealing outfit did little to hide her charms, as well as the deadly thorns that protruded and glistened. She turns from talking with Count Azeel of the House Jaron, and greets them "Well the Hero's of the hour, accompanied by our good Boris". The lightning flashes and she reachs over and kisses Boris on the cheek whispering something while she did so.

Fearghas enters somewhat later than the others. The Eunuch announces "Accept my deal, stay with the party and live" in a flash of lightning "Fearghas the Light Bearer". A swarm of young ladies mobs him, drawn and repelled by the glistening thorns adorning his handsome body.

Illura the wife of the Chief Councillor, smiles at Mandala. Lightning flashes and her smile widens, her teeth grows and they snap for Mandala "Of course" she says. "This is my first son..."

Alyena

As the storm moved to rage overhead the party goers 'oohed' and 'arred' as if it was entertainment laid on solely for their benefit.
"This storm looks like the analog of a fight happening elsewhere. I note the First Governer hasn't appeared, and I fear that she may be one of the participants. But who could the other be?" Alyena turns as Karim speaks just in time to see his face lit by a lightning flash but other features take over his. A voice whispers in her mind "Stay with Fearghas... the spear..."

It takes all her control for Alyena not to jump as Karim continues to look her way. She nods slowly answering him in a thoughtful tone.
"I believe you are right. I feel that this is a night to be somewhere warm and dry" she pauses ever so slightly "and safe. My instincts tell me there is more to come, I must seek out the Princess and my other countrymen. Go home old friend, perhaps we can meet for sherbet tomorrow and laugh at our fears?"

They embrace briefly and go their separate ways.
Aria

Ryl blanched at the name that issued from Aria’s lips. Nobody else seemed to have heard it given the lack of panic around her. Although she knew of the name in passing, mostly by its grim reputation, she didn’t know enough detail…Marduk, he would know. His studies into the horrors was second to none, probably why he came across as unhinged to most people!

Excusing herself from the blood elf delegation she began to weave through the crowd to where she could hear Marduk’s distinctive voice. She reaches out with her mind and places the sibilant hiss of dragonspeech into his...

~I need to speak to you now!~
Sephiroth

Fearghas's gloom lifted for the moment as he found himself enveloped in the dazzling lights and blatantly ridiculous displays of wealth in the throne room. It was quite a spectacle to behold, it was. He found himself smiling as he was surrounded by the young ladies in the room, and his charming confidence returned to him. He let the ladies stare at his well-toned, thorn-covered body in their fascinated and flirtatious way, silently glad that his disguise was holding up so far. "My, what beautiful young maidens here live in the land of Thera. Long has it been since I've been graced by such beauty," he said, the small lie sliding off his tongue effortlessly. "I may perhaps like to dance with these fine young ladies later this evening, if such an opportunity we can take..." His voice dropped off as he paused, as if visualizing again something he had just heard to make sure he had heard it right (which, by a happy coincidence, was exactly what he was doing). He glanced at the Eunuch behind him, but the official was already walking further into the throne room, and didn't seem to look as serious or manacing as the words Fearghas heard uttered from his lips just then.

Catching himself, he smiled again to keep the women from worrying or thinking about his private musings. "I fear I may have forgotten something in the coach, but ah well, it will be fine. And what is your name, my lady?" he said with a twinkle in his eye as he took the hand of a young elven lady with lovely green eyes and dark black hair, moving almost flirtatiously close to her. In his mind, though, he was a touch concerned. Something is wrong here.
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Invisible Castle Central Courtyard]

Alyena searches for Marduk and Mandala. Its hard to find a dwarf in a do like this, but Mandala was easy to see surrounded by a throng listening to the stories that he was telling. "Change of plan" she whispered "I need to be with Fearghas...sorry", and she heads to find Fearghas and Dannrhil.

"The 10th hour and all's well" was the somewhat uncertain and probably not correct cry that could be clearly heard over the diminished thunder. As one the members of the Circle of Oroborus and Boris surreptitiously pulse their marker sticks.

Ryl and Aria moved into a quieter area of the inner courtyard to continue their discussion, the Ooohs and Aahs increased. The lightning began to strike the great shield itself as the twin storms moved directly overhead, and began slowly to circle. More than one person made an obeisance to the Passions and left the party. Karim was not alone as he left.

Dannrhil looks to be mesmerised talking to a guard In the flash of lightning the guard's face has a snake like mask. As the 10th hour is announced he breaks out of the trance and follows Fearghas and Alyena towards the restrooms, the first stage of their route towards the first air defence. Fearghas looks obliquely at Alyena and waves her off. "Change of plan" she said offering Fearghas her arm. As they pass the door to the rest rooms (a very modern facility with the capacity to seat 20 at once, running water to remove the waste, sponges for cleaning, and a singer to entertain the guests), the ten guests in the room turn to face them. Lightning flashes overhead and the guests and the singer all have the faces of snakes. The guests stand and charge the trio. The Singer puts down her harp and begins to thread a spell. Lightning flashes again and Dannrhil now has the face of a snake. There is a despairing look in Dannrhil's still human looking eyes as he morphs into an even more snake like Drake.

"Hey! No fighting!" cry the guards at the end of the corridor, Lightning flashes and they are wearing Jester masks Lowering their Halbards to an attack position, they proceed to charge!

Boris and Immortal Li slip into the kitchen, the first room on their route to the second Air Defence. Somewhat to Li's surprise the cooks are all wearing jesters masks. As one they turn, and with one voice they say "Go Back!". Each of them take a kitchen implement: a sharp knife, a meat skewer, a rolling pin... and begin to advance upon the two. Boris mutters under his breath "Deja vu", and with a smooth practiced motion tossed a fire charm into the deep fat fryer at the back of the kitchen. The cooks turned, the masks falling off their face as they moved to deal with the instantly raging inferno, and the two moved through the kitchen towards the back door. The four guards at the back door look seriously concerned at the two adepts walking towards them. One of them runs out of the door, while the others drop their Halbard's into a position designed to let them attack while keeping most of their body away from their targets "Stop!" they shout.

Marduk and Mandala exchange glances. "I'm sorry Ladies" says Mandala "I'll be back soon". Marduk and Mandala head into the reading rooms. At the reading rooms there are many podiums to rest the books and scrolls on, and a half a dozen guests reading from the scrolls. Lightning crashes and the guests are wearing Jester masks. With one voice they cry "Go Back!". Half of them grab scroll cases, the others pick up large, heavy wood covered books, and they move towards the duo.
Alyena
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Invisible Castle]

As Alyena and Fearghas begin to make their way towards the Air Defense the storm continues to rage above them. The strange double images over people's faces can still be seen in the lightning flashes. As they pass into a side corridor the people, guards and guests alike, turn on them, each chanting the words "Go back"
More worrying is the fact that Dannrhil appears to be under the strange influence as well. Though he seems to be trying to fight it, he is turning into a Drake and moving towards them.

Alyena weaves her summoning and calls upon a Spirit of Man, with barely a struggle it bows to her will. In the blink of an eye she shares some of her power.
"Possess this one and defend us"
The Spirit flashes to Dannrhil, merges with him, then turns to the attackers.
sabs
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Invisible Castle]

Marduk eyes the group and sighs. "Have you noticed, my good friend. That our plan seems to have separated all the warriors from those of us who endeavor to much more peaceful pastimes." Thinking quickly, Marduk stops in his tracks, and spreads his arms wide. His eyes begin to swirl, and he begins to speak in tongues. "Jaz sem grozo pirat haljo. strah je um morilca e začimba, ki jih sama, da sem poslal moj um v gibanju" His presence grows, and draws the attention of those around him, mesmerizing them.

pbangarth

Mandala marvels at the effect of Marduk's threatening posture and gibberish. In a language long forgotten, he muses to himself, "Dayam! I gotta get me summa dat mojo!"
Aria

Ryl looked at Aria

"The storm is upon us at last my friend...tonight will see the end of things! One way or the other. I must fly..."

And so saying she moved to the central courtyard and with a practised swish, and much to the amazement of the guests still milling here, disrobed. Standing naked for a moment she drank in the mana and shifted to her true form. The powerful scales rippled in the reflected light of the tempest overhead, each ebony segment alive with a fire of its own. She spread her wings and vaulted into the air with a sharp cry that caused the bloated onlookers to shrink back

~Master at Arms, prepare the Storm Swift. I come~
Sephiroth

Fearghas's eyes take in the details of the restroom and corridor quickly. Ten Embassy guests rising and charging at them, seemingly with an almost hive-mind mentality. Harp player Adept threading a spell with similar hostility. Dannrhil to his left, changing into his peculiar unique drake form (strange magic, Dannrhil has. Fearghas had never seen anyone else with the ability to assume a drake form who was not a dragon's pet) and seemingly falling under the same weird influence. Four guards running at them from down the hall to the right, their polearms held in the typical battle stance.

With a practiced motion, Fearghas cupped his hands together over his mouth and blew into them, then spun around in place and thrusted a hand high into the air, the other hand touching the smoothly cut emerald gemstone embedded in the spell matrix amulet he wore around his neck. The effect was instantaneous. Solid pillars of thick black smoke erupted in a two meter diameter circle with himself at the center. They stood motionless for a fraction of a second, and then with a blur of motion they suddenly accelerated into a circular path, melding into a single wall of black fumes rotating at a dizzying pace around Fearghas and Alyena. They were at the center of a miniature tornado, the smoke safely obscuring line of sight to the spellcaster in the room and no doubt making the guards and other guests pause at the incredible display. He found Alyena's hand in the chaos of the scene. "Dunno what their problem is," he said to her quietly in the beautiful elven tongue which they shared. "Maybe they're upset that I slept with their sisters or something, although really, what kind of a reason is that? Come, ready yourself in here. This'll only buy us a few extra seconds of time. Make haste, friend."
pbangarth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Reading Rooms -- The Invisible Castle]

"Ever so, wise one. It seems like a law of nature."

Mandala's Stunball rocked the mob of opponents, yet they continued their attack! Five of them circled Mandala and focused their anger and hatred towards him.

Clever little fellows, using that ploy and not just beating on me.

All but one was easy to dodge, but that capable one also failed to connect, as Mandala imagined himself faster and more agile than even this fellow. He maneuvered and twisted so as to see how his friend was doing.
pbangarth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Reading Rooms -- The Invisible Castle]

The assailants in the Reading Room were annoyingly resilient. And now they were inextricably intermingled with the two of them. Oh, well. Marduk and Mandala had practiced this before. Time to test it!

Mandala, though muzzy a bit from the drain of using his matrix power, liquidly turned and sidestepped to put all of the assailants into his field of view. And, of course, Marduk as well.

"Watch out, old friend."
Mandala gathered the mana and channeled yet another blast of energy at the crowd in front of him. This one worked very well, coursing through him with hardly a tingle. The astral lit up with the power of this blast.

Come on, Marduk. You can handle this.
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Storm Swift]
As Ryl approaches the Storm Swift she can see that the storm is intensifying. The lightning bolts crackled unpleasantly close, and the wind is becoming severe. As Ryl approaches the docks, she is met by the Storm Swift rising to meet her.

"Everything ready Cap'n" nods the Master at Arms. Like all the crew he is wearing oil skins, and the rain is pouring off his form.

"Right on time Captain Ryl" the White Rose is sitting on a table on the main deck. On the desk is a model of the castle, the wind is blowing mightly, and only a few other items are still there. In the center of the table, is a beautiful but disturbing box embossed with interleaved snakes.

Standing, the rain dripping off her white armor, she walks to the port side of the ship. Raising her arms she focuses hard and an explosion of Golden Beauty floods out of her. The ship rocks as the Master at Arms has to compensate for the loss of mana, and the lightning crashes even louder. Like a fog the aura rises towards the Invisible Castle.

"Do you know why it is an Invisible Castle?" beads of sweet mix with the rain "The First Governors were afraid that the Sphinx would awaken should the obvious wealth and grandeur be displayed." As she says this the fog reaches the Great Shield, and it evaporated like a bad memory. The severe outlines of a simple Castle guarding the City of Great Thera shimmers. For a few moments the form of a simple austere castle is juxtaposed with the true form of the castle, then the Invisible Castle was just the very Visible Castle, with wealth and grandeur oozing out of every pore.

"Turns out they were right. " Tossing a rod made of a single ruby to Ryl, she places one hand on a lanyard. "Do you mind doing the honors, I'm not the best person to use magic right now. The words to use are on the side." Ryl looks at the single gem that is 12 inches long. Intricate dwarven runes are carved in the side.

Over the port bow Ryl saw the giant form of the Sphinx, created by the famous Dwarven scholar-magician Jaron during the heady years of the City's expansion before the Scourge. More than one hundred foot long and forty feet high, this huge stone beast was staring with glowing blue eyes at the First Governor's palace. And now those eyes were looking at her.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle Reading Rooms]

Marduk and Mandala look at the sleeping forms of the readers. Just a few seconds ago this room was full of active screaming forms that were lusting for their blood. Now it has some sleeping bodies in almost a doggie pile. The silence in the room is almost physical. The two look at each other then move over to the door. On the other side of the door they hear the two guards in Theran saying "did you hear that?" "hear what?".

The guard's spring to attention as Marduk and Mandala open the door. "Greetings of the hour to you honored guests. Can we help you" the older one says. The guards words falter as suddenly torrential rain and howling winds can be heard slamming into the beautiful open windows of the library. With a huge crash the windows slam shut, shards of illuminated glass falling to the floor. The guards looked stunned.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle Guest Facilities]
Fearghas's illusions and Dannrhil's form deflect the attention of the guards. The guests wielding chamber pots and the odd concealed knife look confused by the magic, and the singer's voice falters. The beautiful windows smash with the force of the winds and glass and rain howls through them. The sound of the storm intensifies and screams can now be heard throughout the castle
sabs
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle Reading Rooms]

"Mandala, my good friend. One of these days that won't work nearly so well." He gives him a grin, and then moves towards the door, and of course, more guards. "Gentlemen, my friend and I were in need of a little stroll, and I find nothing more relaxing than books." This approach would probably have worked better had the windows not shattered. Marduk looks aghast. "What mayhem is this? The Books! We must check on the books!" With that hoping to slip past the guards while they are stunned.

Aria
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Storm Swift]

Ryl landed deftly on the aft deck, narrowly avoiding the lashing ropes in the rising gale. She acknowledged Rose’s words and took the rod in a scaled claw. This would require words it would seem. Her form shimmered and then she was standing naked on the deck, rain shimmering off her from the heat of her transformation. Ignoring any discomfort, and the possible embarrassment of her crew – they should be used to this sort of thing by now and there was no time to assuage delicate sensibilities - she moved to the rail, belatedly swathing herself in the, by now dripping, silks of her usual garb.

She looked from the rod down to the huge sphinx lurking below them. This should be interesting…

Speaking the crude dwarven words written in runes on the flank of the rod she imbued the sending with as much of her Will as she could muster…

"The time of waiting is over.
The empire is corrupt.
Sphinx your time has come
Awaken and fulfil your destiny"

Turning back to her crew, ready and waiting behind her, she projected her thoughts into their minds rather than try to compete with the horrendous wind noise

~It is time to strike at the ancient foe. Remember what they have done to you and your families. Stoke your rage and let it burn like frost. We strike with purpose and clarity not with blindness. My master will be proud of you today, you do not need to know that I am proud of you…I fight by your side for all time!~
pbangarth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle, hallway outside the Reading Rooms]

Mandala places a hand on the back of Marduk, points with one arm and uses it as a wedge past the guards. "This way, old friend. Important books are just around the corner." They move at normal speed while in view of the guards, and slip around the T-junction ahead, turning to the right.
Seth

Following Ryl's stirring mental projection, the crew cheer then fall to their tasks. The good ship Storm Swift forges ahead through the storm, the wind and rain affecting it not at all, but the lightning and thunder grew closer and louder.

The point of the prow, and the pennants on the lanyards, the tips of the masts, and even the points on the helm began to glow with that strangest of phenomena that we now call St Elmo's fire.

"Ships ahoy, Captain"
came the cry from the look about. "How many, and where away" replied Ryl with a shout. "Everywhere Captain!" was the disturbing reply. Looking around Ryl could see a fleet of ships launching from the floating Imperial War College, a mile away to port. Below, behind and ahead, rising into the storm, were a swarm of small civilian craft. The lightning crashed and the faces of the crew of the small boats became the faces of Jesters.

The starboard however was clear, as the Sphinx began to move. It arches its back and stretched. The mouth opened in a giant yawn, the ginormous retractable claws flexing. With a shake of its head, and a flick of its tail, the Sphinx roared. The roar could be heard even above the clamor of the storm, and then it leapt towards the now Visible Castle. As the huge claws descended, the walls of the castle were crushed.

The White Rose laughed and shouted in exultation. "Onwards! The night of the Sphinx is now, and we must fulfill our destiny!".
Aria

With the storm whipping her hair into her eyes Ryl stood proudly at the helm while her crew worked with calm efficiency despite the awful conditions. The Storm Swift raced before the winds at a breath taking pace, although only just keeping pace with the giant sphinx crashing below them.

Seeing the craft rising to intercept them Ryl ordered a tack that would avoid their clumsy paths, although given the numbers trying to bracket them it would be impossible to avoid them all. Choosing the route that would limit their angles of approach the Storm Swift surged forwards

~Master at Arms, run out the cannons, let’s show these Theran dogs what it is to face the Swift! First Mate you have command, starboard tack and take us down to the deck, let’s not make this easy for them. I will deal with that one…~ she gestured at the hulk coming in above them

~You all know what to do. I place my faith in you~ and so saying she shifted once more into her true form, revelling in the electricity that licked her scales

~Rose, please go below, things could become difficult up here for a while~

Unfurling her wings she leapt from the deck and rose in a graceful spiral that would bring her on an intercept with the incoming vessel. She winced as they angled in towards the rigging and then with a roar let fly an incandescent stream of fire at the hapless attacker. She winced inwardly as their keel scraped through her rigging but thankfully there seemed to be no significant damage thanks to the Swift's maneuvering.

Below her the stern cannons shook and bolts of raging elemental fire rained down on the craft trying to drag them back

Her marines, with Misra leading them, strode forwards to deal with those with the audacity to step upon the [i[Swift’s[/i] deck without permission, whilst her crew scrambled into the rigging to repair any flapping lines
Seth

As the wrecks of the last boat are swept from her decks by the rising storm, the crew fall to their well rehearsed damage control tasks. Most of the damage had been caused by the civilians with their axes, as some superb Airmanship had avoided the main threat.

The White Rose smiled, and withdraw her magical aura to conserve her energy.

Below the Sphinx began its slow but inexorable demolition of the now Visible Castle. The castle guards were trying to start a defense, but it seemed mostly futile. Mighty spells shook the mana sphere and lit up the town for a mile around even in the powerful storm. Weapons were thrown, and the powerful air defenses began to rain fire and lightning upon the Sphinx. It was all to no avail, the Sphinx appeared to ignore their attacks, as its claws destroyed the first building.

The twin faces of the storm clouds continued to circle, but from the snake headed cloud game a new shape. Up till now the storm had taken the form of lightning and rain. Now came a much bigger threat: part of the cloud split off and began to spin, reaching towards the ground as the traditional form of a twister took shape. Behind it another and yet another reached towards the ground.

"Ware ahead" cried the lookout, the wind not affecting his magically enhanced voice, although there was a slight shake in it.
Alyena
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Stairwell]

Shaking off the Singer's spell Alyena moved swiftly along the corridor towards the stairs, leaving Dannrhil, possessed by her Spirit, to deal with the guards and guests.

As she and Fearghas started up to the next floor things went from the sublime to the ridiculous. A horde of grinning Jester's heads came bouncing down towards them. For one moment Alyena just stared, before trying to duck out of their way. That moment coat her, the heads came faster than expected and those that hit sank their teeth into her. Even with armour and shield the damage they inflicted was painful and threatened to cause further trouble.

Alyena's hand flew to one of her Charms and as the blood that seeped from her flesh came into contact with it, it flared into life. The pain was eased and the wounds healed, leaving her suffused with a crimson glow, the promise of future aid. It came not a moment too soon as the stairs changed, forming into a ramp and threatening to tumble her back to the bottom. This time she managed to brace herself against the wall and keep her footing.

Muttering under her breath Alyena tugged at the skirts of her formal gown, they came free with surprising ease, revealing leggings and the boots that had been there all the time. Feeling better attired to face the next threat, she called her spirit to her. As its power meshed with her's two guards appeared and loosed spears at her and Fearghas. With a rather nasty grin Alyena avoided the blows and prepared to counter attack.
pbangarth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle, hallway past the Reading Rooms]

The hallway ended in a T-junction, each ensuing branch seeming to lead into a warren of halls and doorways. If their memory served them, right was the direction to go.

No sooner had they sped into that corridor, that chaos erupted. Guards and guests leapt from doorways hurling missiles both mundane and magical. A guard in some kind of reptilian headgear hurled a spear. Mandala dodged and deflected with his psychokinetic power. What... a jester? Hurling a chamber pot? What madness! Again Mandala avoided the missile, but unfortunately the contents bespoiled his garments.

He was beginning to rue his pacifist tendencies.

Yet more. A party guest emerged from a door and hurled snakes that hissed and snapped at Mandala, to no avail because of his spirit nature. Finally, one wild throw of several flaming daggers by yet another jester connected, but Mandala's armor and extreme, twisting effort made the blow glance off of him.

How do beings who have to stay corporeal live with it?

Two snakes remained. No danger to him, but their poison could harm Marduk. Using his hands like horse blinders to block his view of Marduk, he hurled a bolt of energy at the snakes.

Then Mandala turned to Marduk. "Are you alright? Let's fly from this madness."
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle, hallway past the Reading Rooms]

The sense of being hunted increased, and now they could hear the sliding of scales behind them, as something slighered after them at a slightly slower speed than theirs.

Mandala and Marduk press deeper into corridors. The attacks against them from the two contestants in the clouds continue. Given the speed that they were travelling at, it was difficult to avoid bumping into things. A door opens in front of them, and a silk clad lizardman couple who are rather worse for wear lurch out, blocking the corridor

"Hey what's going on " spluttered the woman. "Hands off my wife" said the man in a rather drunk voice. There was the sound of thunder in the distance the wifes face distorted, became snake like, and snapped at Marduk. The man's hands blurred and he pulled a small but nasty magical blade dripping venom from his sleeve and stabbed it towards Mandala

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle, the endless stairway]

Fearghas and Alyena continue up the stairway. They too felt a sense of dread as though something was following then, although they could sense nothing. The relentless attacks continued.

As they moved past a beautiful stained glass window, it shattered sending shards flying into the stairwell. The scene outside was that of a warm summers night overlooking the courtyard that they had just been partying. Surreally, there were a couple of guards visible standing to attention, doing their guarding thing, but no party or storm was in evidence.

On the next stairwell, the floor collapsed, and below was not the stairwell, but a ball pool full of brightly covered balls, each with a Jester's face on it.

Continuing up the stairs, a doorway in front of them smashes into pieces, and a minotaur crashes through it. The minotaur shakes its body to get rid of the debris, then roars and attacks the two of them. It's Hoplite armor glinted with the hint of magic, the shield it was wielding in its left hand had unpleasant looking spikes on the front of it, and the large axe left trails of light behind it was swung through the air.
Aria

Ryl watched with satisfaction as her blazing breath caught in the rigging of their pursuer and the vessel plunged away from them to crash into the streets below. The Swift’s fire cannons dispatched the craft grappeling them and the marines made short work of the borders. The damage was superficial and the repair crews would have it contained in short order.

She wheeled around and settled onto the mast head like a giant storm crow, her claws digging into the hemp ropes to restrain her against the wind. As the lookout cried out she looked up in alarm at the sudden vortex appearing before them. Flinging herself into a backflip she tumbled down towards the deck, her wings lashing out at the last moment to break her fall.

Roaring her defiance she took the wheel from her startled first mate and wrenched the Storm Swift over onto a port tack…if that twister caught them it would turn her light craft into so much whirling kindling. This wasn’t something they could fight, even their weather worker couldn’t do anything about something so large, it was time to run before the wind…she reached out with her wings to brace herself and dug her claws firmly into the deck. If they survived it would take the ship’s carpenter replacing the boards for the [i]Swift[i] to be ship shape again.

~Brace yourselves!~
Seth

The twisters descended. Many of them, stopping just above the city. The Storm Swift lived up to its name, and shot away from one to another, sling-shotting around one and dodging another. The magically toughened sails were taking the strain but only barely. The strengthened timbers of the mast were creaking madly, audible even over the rain and thunder of the storm.

But the Storm Swift was surviving, dancing from twister to twister. More hordes of little craft ascended towards the Swift, but they were crushed into matchwood by the twisters, their crew no match for the hideous 'weather' conditions. The flotilla from the War College had entered the area of twisters, and while most of them were being shattered and dropping from the sky onto the city below, one of them: a light ram ship by the name "Snake's Fury" was seemingly immune to the winds, it threaded the needle between the twisters, accelerating as it went, and was heading straight for the Storm Swift.
sabs

Marduk blocked the attacks of both the woman and the man upon his shield, sparks flying from it as the Orichalchum and the blades danced off one another. "Mandala, I think we need to get going." Marduk was more than tired of this, and he concentrated for a moment, letting the magic flow through his Spell Matrix and imbue him. "These guys are really pissing me off.. Lets go."
Sephiroth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle, the endless stairway]

Fearghas looked over at his elf companion and sighed. "Alley Cat, I don't know about you, but this is starting to get silly." He took a step forward towards the minotaur and raised his hands to chest height, laying one wrist atop the other so that his hands were in a sort of V formation. Waving his fingers up and down together in imitation of the motion of the wings of a bird or butterfly, Fearghas's hands flew up over his head and thrust forward, palms forward and fingers spread as he swore angrily in Sperethiel at the armed bull. "Versoniel-ha! Carronasto tenego morkhan! (Real asshole! Keep still, you ********** of swine!)"

"Now then, Mr. Cow," Fearghas said venomously in Theran as he approached the minotaur, with murder in his eyes (a surprisingly sudden change in his demeanor from his tongue-in-cheek disposition mere seconds earlier - one might almost think he was acting, but no, Fearghas was born and bred a Denairastas elf, and one should always be alarmed if they have angered a Denairastas). "I would like you to explain to me why you thought it a good idea to attack honored guests at the Embassy Ball. Particularly ones who have no reservations whatsoever about gutting you apart very.... very... slowly. We have seen the terror and destruction wrought by Horrors, and we have seen the darkness in the hearts of Namegivers. You do not mess with us, brotatoe. If you want something, tell us what it is and moooove the hell out of our way already. Nasty things will happen if you do not. Got it?"
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Endless Staircase]

The minotaur paused. Thought seemed alien to his nature, but Fearghas had a point. A very sharp point.

"Umm. " He considered it's words. "I was very cross and wanted to kill something. You were here. I am very sorry about this. Do you mind putting me down? Where are we? My name is Silver Horn."

"Look out"
he called pointing with his right hand. Fearghas considered this: the oldest trick in the book. "No really look out" a faint familiar sound of hundreds of little jester heads coming down the stairway made its way to Fearghas's ears.
pbangarth

Frustration boils under the surface of Mandala's calm. Something unknown is just behind them, and innumerable pawns are being thrown up in front of them. Worse still, the corridors seem to be being reshaped continually, hemming the two of them in.

Enough.

Mandala yet again clears the hallway before them with magical energy, conflictingly feeling sorry for the poor fool manipulated into delaying them yet smiling at his stagger as the man flees into a room to one side. Mandala recharges the matrix buckled around his waist with a spell to see through the illusions clouding their vision.

Before him the walls shimmer and twist, struggling against the power of his spell to see the true path.

I said, "Enough!" He focused his will, refusing to be thwarted by this ploy. The corridor accedes to his will, the walls settle into place, and their destination appears to him.

"Marduk, old friend, the way becomes clear to me. Just ahead around the corner lies the doorway to the Hall of Axes. Lay hold of me and do not let go. I shall guide you there."

Behind them, the dark presence approaches.

"No more time to waste.
Let us proceed hence with haste.
Darkness seeks to taste."
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Antechamber to the Hall of Two Axes]

As Mandala and Marduk finally came to the end of their endless corridors, they opened the door into the Antechamber to the Hall of Two Axes, and shut it behind them. The door was solid: a class one military door designed to stop men with axes from easily knocking it down.

The Antechamber was the size of a football pitch, and used to have beautiful stained glass windows stretched across the ceiling. Much of that glass was now either falling, or on the floor in jagged sharp chunks. A steady rain of translucent death was falling to the floor, accompanied by pouring rain, and a swirling wind. Five guard's bodies leaked their life blood onto the floor, where they had not got out of the way fast enough.

Fighting in the glass storm, were three distorted air elementals and three spirits of man(?). The air elementals were blowing vortices of glass driven death towards the spirits of man, who were tossing rippling green and purple mana back. Overhead the lightning crashed, and the spirits of man became distorted with snake like faces, while the elementals had the the faces of jesters.

!!Boom!!

Behind them something heavy smashed into the door that they had just closed. Somewhat hastily they slid the solid wooden bar into place over the door, to reinforce it.

!!Boom!! !!Boom!!

Aria

Ryl laughed into the wind…the sound coming out as a sibilant bark that sent shivers down the spines of the anyone nearby. The Snake’s Fury was gaining on them, skirting far closer to the twisters than she dared do…

~Prepare to reef the sail, coming about hard to starboard. Starboard battery prepare your weapons, I want that vessel off our tail before we make the run to the palace~

She watched as elemental fire was carefully run from the cold stores in the centre of the deck and the kernels of pure fire were dropped into the ornamented receivers on the cannons.

~FIRE~

The orichalcum veins flared along the lengths of the barrels and then globes of fire spat from the carved dragons’ jaws to spiral away towards their pursuer.
Sephiroth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Endless Staircase]

"Silver Horn, then," Fearghas said, his voice still edgy. "Thank you. I'll deal with you in a bit." He looked up behind him (rather, to put it more accurately, he rotated backwards in the air so that he was floating at an angle nearly upside down again, looking up the stairs that ran up the ceiling - or the floor, from everyone else's point of view) at the flood of approaching jester heads, bouncing far more energetically and springily than they had business doing.

He stared for a moment at the approaching heads, trying to discern the truth of the nature of the infernal laughing things. "Can we help you with something?" he yelled at the coming flood.
Seth

The Snake's Fury charged forwards, its reinforced prow aiming for the heart of the Storm Swift. The Storm Swift lived up to her name. The Bermuda rigging allowed for much faster and tighter turns than the 'Fury was expecting. As the broadside of true fire was spat towards the 'Fury, a counterfire in the form of 6 Harpax's was returned. Five meter long truesteel grappling hooks fired to cannons, and retained by winches.

The fire impacted the 'Fury. Hastily thrown magical shields had deflected the kernels of fire, but this was a numbers game. Three of them landed and splashed. The screams from the gun crew impacted by one could be heard over the storm, the other two embedded themselves in the decking and flames began to form around them. The pouring rain seemed not to affect them at all.

All the while, the winds were blowing the Storm Swift ever higher and ever further from the ground. Even the lookout's lost sight of the land, but through it all Ryl's magically enhanced sight kept sight of the Visible Castle, and their destination.
Alyena

As Fearghas is talking to Silver Horn, Alyena looks around the staircase. It seems that the steps go on endlessly and she feels a nagging doubt that they will reach the air defense in time.
Her head whips round at the shouted warning of "Look out!". The now familiar sound of bouncing reaches her ears and the first of another wave of jester heads comes into view around a turn in the stairs.
With her spirit's aid Alyena reacts swiftly to the oncoming threat. "Let's get out of here!" she calls to Fearghas and slams her hand on the nearest door. Perhaps it's a sign of her growing frustration at the many delays put in their way but the spell is very, very effective. With a blast that rivals that of the continuing thunder the door is reduced to so much kindling and a storm swept roof is revealed beyond the portal.
With a cry of triumph Alyena leaps through.
sabs
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Antechamber to the Hall of Two Axes]

Marduk is starting to feel really irritated. He takes a moment to analyze the area, and process through the possibilities. "Mandala, my friend. Two beings are vying for our Dream Quest. The Horror, and the Harlequin." He looks around, and focuses his mind. "The fastest way is to go up through there" Marduk points to the ceiling. "The magic is weakest there, and the storm safest. We need to keep moving, something chases us."

Marduk takes a moment to realign the energies of one of his Spell Matrix, so that he might levitate himself out of here.
pbangarth

"So, two of them are playing with us. I hate being something's toy. Good, in the air the thing that chases us may not be able to follow. I presume you will ensorcel yourself to fly?"

Mandala speeds upwards, over the combating spirits and towards the newly-open skylight, holding Marduk to him and raising him with his psychokinetic power till Marduk can take over his own flight control.

"What a wonderful opportunity presents itself. I have always wondered whether my power to hasten will affect that spell. Let's find out!"
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The endless stairway]

As Alyena smashed open the door that Silver Horn had entered the stairwell from, Fearghas confronted the Jester Heads falling down the stairs. The Jester heads ceased their tumbling and their laughing, and formed a structure. Each head stood on some of it's neighbours. Soon the heads were forming the image of another head: also wearing a Jester's mask.

"You bear The Spear of Cephisto. I see you not, but I see the spear. On your life, on your honor and on your soul 'do you serve the snake?'". As the head spoke, lightning crashed through the doorway onto the roof, and with it came waves of mana, coercing mana, mana that allowed only the truth to be told.
Sephiroth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The endless stairway]

With no warning, something odd happened to Fearghas as the heads slowed to a halt. Time seemed to stretch, and a variety of sensations began to impress themselves on his mind. There was an odd feeling of being in two places at once, in the Theran stairwell and another distant location. There was a feeling of déjà vu strongly connected to the Isle of Thera and the Theran Embassy Ball. Perhaps the subtlest of all was a feeling that radiated from a distant place, of old mixed with new, of a light that wasn't visible but reached out and caressed Fearghas's soul with a feeling of warmth, like the touch of a feather and also like the embrace of someone dear. The effect was admittedly something that Fearghas had not experienced before, not once in the six thousand years he had been alive. It was as if someone had lifted a veil off of his being, evaporating the cobwebs hanging over his mind. It was a genuinely refreshing and soothing sensation.

With a jolt, Fearghas awoke to find himself back in the endless stairway, in the same upside down position in which he had been floating seconds before. The scene remained largely unchanged, but something in Fearghas's body language was different now. Perhaps it was the shoulders held a little higher, or the back a little straighter, as if a large weight upon him had been removed. Perhaps it was the way he walked as he now touched down to the stairs and took several steps towards the large jester head, less rigid and more relaxed than before, or the little extra bit of self-assurance in his gray eyes. This was not the lost, despairing Fearghas of these years of the Fourth Age, who drowned his sorrows and stress in alcohol, but rather an older Fearghas, more experienced, with a stronger sense of conviction and style.

"Ha! Do you jest? Of course we serve the snake, for the snake is the most horrific master of deception that the world has ever seen! It is more ancient than the oldest of the self-righteous lizards, smarter than us both, and if it wills that someone shall serve its ends, however involuntarily, than damn it all it will happen! Have you forgotten the horror? Have you forgotten the deviousness of the thing?" The elf's eyes hardened. "But damned if I won't serve its ends without taking up arms. We, all of us, have no intention of voluntarily serving the unspeakable one, and every intention of doing all we can to delay or unravel its plans. I speak for myself on this, but a failure to take up arms against this would be a betrayal of my race, and that I will not do. But now it is my turn to question you. Who are you that seemingly has business interjecting himself into a memory quest of the Ouroboros?"
Alyena
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Palace roof]

As Alyena jumped through the door she ducked to one side and crouched. Scanning the area she swiftly took in the scene before her. The storm was raging with a demonic passion, the clouds that swirled around seemed to be clawing at each other and the sky. Alyena could almost taste the magic, even as she smelt the tang of ozone.

The air defence was a looming silhouette of rods and spheres moving around each other, mimicking the celestial dance of the planets. It had been crafted to draw the subtle energies of magic and power from that dance but there was nothing subtle about the power that raged around it now.

As lightning crashed she could see guards and crew frantically scurrying about, pulling levers and closing vents. Each surge of power from the heavens caused sparks to run up and down the framework, jumping from tip to tip. The vats of arcane acid below it were beginning to seethe and bubble and the figures redoubled their efforts.

"Perhaps if we just distracted them a little this thing will destroy itself" she mused "I, however, don't think I would want to be up here if it did!"
Aria

Ryl snarled as the reinforced harpoons bit into the beautiful timbers of the Storm Swift’s decks. Trimming the sail and a quick twist of the rudder took the brunt out of the shuddering jolt and no timbers had sprung but she winced inwardly at the despairing cry as one of her crew were flung from the rigging to plummet rapidly out of sight.

She roared her rage to the winds and her fire burned white hot around her jaws. Calling out to her First MateTkath, a raider that she had managed to lure from his trollish companions with the promise of adventure, she gestured to the wheel. He was the only one of her crew with strength and skill to match her own and she was needed elsewhere

~Take the wheel. When I give the word swing hard to port, let’s whip that bastard into the nearest tornado. I will distract him. Misra prepare the port battery to fire. We need to make the run to the castle and we don’t need him dragging us back~

So saying she surged her wings down and sprang from the deck, fires boiling forth as she wheeled against the wind. Using the convenient bridge of the truesteel grapples she raced towards Snake’s Fury pulling herself hand over hand, her tail wrapped around the ropes like a monkey, a seriously angry monkey...

~Let us see how they fare against dragon fire~
pbangarth

As Marduk and Mandala soared towards the opening to the roof, Mandala could not strike from his mind the image of Stolus, the librarian, crushed under masonry. I can only hope that was more of the trickery meant to hinder us. If not, I hope dear Stolus finds himself closer to leaving the Wheel in the next life.
Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - The Visible Castle]

The markers on the glow sticks moves to the second mark.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Between the endless stairway and the roof near air defense one]
The face of the Jester spoke. "You few are my chosen champions. The Snake has his agents in this place, and I cannot discern them. I have barred the way for all, but now I will rely on you to stop it's agents. You have my blessing. Go smite the unrighteous and tell me all about it afterwards. If there is an afterwards."

Alyena looked around, crouched in the shadows at the base of the door. She observed that one of the guards was pointing towards the open door she had just exited.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Air Defense Two]
Immoral Li parried and struck. The battle between him and Liu Yin was epic and martial. Hopping and leaping from tip of pole to tip of pole, with fires raging below, it was not clear to the observers who had the upper hand. Boris was engaged in a titanic battle with the gaurds and their leader the Eunuch Mohsen. Lightning bolts crackled from Mohsens fingers, but Boris deflected them with his sword while slaughtering his way through the mass of guards.

The shock as the Storm Swift's forward motion is interrupted is devastating. Three crew member, 2 of them from the rigging, and 1 who was chopping at the Harpax with his axe, are sent over their side to fall to their almost certain doom. Many of the others fall, but either their safety lines or their positions save them from an unpleasant death.

Ryl's magical fire burns one of the tethers, but even as she does so the crew of the Snake's Fury throw their own grappling hooks. Many of them fall short, as the hooks are thrown into the teeth of the powerful wind, but two hook into the rigging, and one onto the side of the deck. There are war crys from the Fury.

The stern chasers bark their load of magical fire onto the Snake's Fury and catch five crewmembers. The true fire kernals ignite the unlucky few, who scream hideously and race around setting fittings and fixtures alight until they are evicted over the side by their crew members.

As Ryl assesses the situation deciding how to deal with it, a Feathered Serpent drake rises from the Snake's Fury deck heading straight for her, magical fire spouting from the Serpent's mouth.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Above the AnteChamber to the Hall of Two Axes]
Marduk and Mandala floated across the void where once there had been a ceiling. The weather was atrocious, the wind blowing them this way and that, the lightning crashing nearby and the thunder deafening. Below them the elementals continued their battle, with the rain of deadly glass fragments concerning them not at all.

In the distance they could dimly make out the battle at air defense two, and see the incoming Storm Swift tethered by the ramship Snake's Fury. The sight of the Sphinx off to the South was somewhat disconcerting, as it proceeded to crush and demolish all opposition, and a large chunk of the now Visible Castle.
pbangarth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Above the AnteChamber to the Hall of Two Axes]

Like a well-practiced sports team, Mandala and Marduk lined up their prospective targets for magical attack, Marduk the feathered serpent, Mandala the crew on the Snake's Fury. Mandala saw Marduk's blast in the astral, and marveled at the focused power.

"Nice shot, old man."
Too bad it will be deadly. Not much to be done about that in a situation like this.

Mandala's effort was equally powerful, but far less effective. The crew of the ship was mostly covered by the bulk of the ship itself, and few felt the effect of his spell.

He looked around for a better target.
sabs

Marduk grunted, then wiped away at the blood trickling down his nose lightly. "Old Man's still got it." He grinned at Mandala, "Research in Libraries is all well and good, but sometimes, it's good to remember you are still a force to be reckoned with. "

Marduk having a hard time focusing with all the weather, let his vision slip astral and looked around, Sensing out for Magical Disturbances.

"I've got a bad feeling about this"
Sephiroth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Between the endless stairway and the roof near air defense one]

Fearghas grinned silently at the jester head as it began to fade away. He could not manage to hold his peace, however, and so he said with a knowing smile just before the head disappeared, "'Champions?' 'Smite the unrighteous?' Apt descriptions, I suppose, but I haven't heard such devout words from you in an eternity. You pick some interesting times to go nostalgic on me." And then it was gone, leaving Fearghas alone with a minotaur in an empty stairwell.

He turned around and walked back down the stairs. "So, you said your name was Silver Horn, yeah? Pleas'tameet'cha, Silver Horn. Friends call me Fig. Nasty things are going down right now, so you'd best stay with me. This place is going to ring with the cries of battle pretty soon, that alright with you?" Without stopping to let the minotaur answer, he continued, "Wonderful, that makes two of us. Let's go see what that sexy elven babe from earlier is up to, shall we? You can tell me what happened before you were temporarily relieved of your mind while we move." Without missing a beat, he kicked lightly off the stairs and flew towards the door that Alyena had busted through.

I wonder, will the Horror know now that I am clearheaded and not bound by the mentalities I had during these years? We need to find what we're looking for and get out of this dream quest as soon as we can... I don't know how much longer we can last in here.

Seth
[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Air Defense One]
Alyena and Fearghas left the stairwell, closely followed by Silver Horn who was still looking confused.

The beautiful roof top garden was a scene of devastation. The delicate lillys were shreded, and the roses had lost all their blossom. By the Orrery that seemed to be interracting with the storm in strange ways was the remnants of an awning, an ornate table with shattered glass ware, and a bottle of wine in a miraculously still standing chiller.

The crew of the Air Defence station were frantically trying to do things to it: levers were being pushed, incantations muttered, and thaumaturgical control devices manipulated. The man in charge of this chaos was bellowing orders that could just be heard over the sound of the storm. It was clear that he had seen the three emerge, as his hands waved, more orders were shouted. His troops began to move rapidly and in a well disciplined way to prepared positions.

[The tenth hour, Day of the Bull, Month of the Dragon, 1700 TH - Above the Hall of Two Axes]
The storm surged violently all around Marduk and Mandala. Below them the elementals seemed to have finished their little spat: the elementals appeared to have defeated the spirits of man. Only one element was left, and it flew at the speed that only spirits can, appearing near the two of them. "Orders?" it said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012