Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coating Shuriken and Throwing knives with poison
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mike_the_fish
So I have a Physical Adept who wishes to coat his shuriken with GS. Unfortunately I could not find anything in the rules about this. Logically this sounds pretty resonable - as long as he coats them soon before he throws them (not let them sit around for a few weeks and expect the GS to still be potent).

Coating weapons with poison seems to be a valid thing that other game systems use - should this be allowed in Shadowrun? And if so, what would the exact rules be?
Kagetenshi
Any poison with Contact or Injection vectors could be done this way; just decide what qualifies for sufficient penetration, maybe require him to use several doses on an object to get one dose put into the target, and then use the standard rules for the toxin.

~J
Backgammon
Yeah, maybe a test to succeed in proper coating. If he fails, he wastes the dose. But logically, I assume it can't be very hard to rub a toxin onto a blade.
Dax
I would also suggest keeping the life span of the Toxin short once it's been appiled to the blade. Once the weapon hits the target, (irreguarless if it actually penetrates the armor or not) then the app should be expended.

I find that's the best way to handle things.
Kagetenshi
I might let it keep its application on a miss indoors on a non-rug floor, but probably only on a 1 or 2 on a roll of a d6.

~J
mike_the_fish
Unfortunately that type of thing should be fairly difficult to tell. I get the indication that the toxin is colorless. You would have to sort of gague how "wet" it was
Kagetenshi
Well yes, for most toxins (even visible ones) you should have no idea of if it is still effective after hitting the floor or something, but that doesn't mean it won't be.

~J
The Canterbury Tail
Using a shuriken make sure he doesn't cut himself on it when throwing it, could be nasty. Watch those 1s.
TheScamp
And if so, what would the exact rules be?

Rules for toxin-coated weapons on on page 106 of M&M.
BitBasher
Also, a throwing knife and shuriken spins. coating a rapidly spinning object with a contact vector chemical transmission fluid is a good way to get splattered by it all flying off. It would have to be a very thick compound in order to work right, and in the case of DMSO that may cause some transmission problems.

Also remember drugs in SR are kind of pointless, since even drige whose effects are instantaneous dont actually take effect until the beginning of the next combat round. IE: next time you roll initiative. This leaves people a lot of time to give you the allmighty boot to the head.
Kagetenshi
If the opponent doesn't know where you are when you hit them, they can be quite useful.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012