Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lybian Mercinary's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
Has anyone else been paying attention to the problems in Lybia and thinking SR when they talk about Khadaffi's followers, solders and mercinaries keeping him in place?
ggodo
Little bit, mostly I just think of how my econ prof pronounces it "Labia."

That makes things very entertaining in class. "Lots of unrest in Labia theses days."
hermit
This is what WAR! should have been about. EXACTLY this. Not "Bogota, ignoring that it'S at 2000 meter altitude, and epileptic trees causing a war".
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Mar 4 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Has anyone else been paying attention to the problems in Lybia and thinking SR when they talk about Khadaffi's followers, solders and mercinaries keeping him in place?

It's in the news all the time. But what's new about mercs? They've been in use since at least the Roman Empire and the Praetorian Guard 2.000 years ago. I don't start thinking "SR" until we see the first Israeli jets over Lybia. If that happens, the world's in deep trouble.
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 4 2011, 01:42 PM) *
EXACTLY this.

I do not think it means what you think it means.
hermit
If Israel'd do a retaliatory nuclear strike against Libya, they'll use their Dolphins. Also, we'd need a Scud to actually hit Israel, which isn't something those missiles are particularily good at (with a target so small they tend to miss).
hermit
QUOTE (Kid Chameleon @ Mar 4 2011, 09:00 PM) *
I do not think it means what you think it means.

Oh look, a troll.
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 4 2011, 02:05 PM) *
Oh look, a troll.

I mean, if you really think that War! should have been about a civil war in a North African dictatorship in 2010, fine. But it doesn't sound very Shadowrun to me. YMMV.
Doc Byte
The problem's that Lybia cease to exist in the 6th world.
Fatum
Nah, mercs and soldiers supporting a dictatorship is nothing new.
However, reading the official news from the West, the East, and then browsing the blogs for some eyewitness evidence surely reminds of SR - spin work overwhelming!
hermit
I mean, if you really think that War! should have been about a civil war in a North African dictatorship in 2010, fine. But it doesn't sound very Shadowrun to me. YMMV.

Not in Libya (that's Desert Wars), but the way the war in Libya is going, with one side being essentially horribly outmanned and hiring mercenaries from near and far to support their case, which is what the Gaddafi clan is doing right now (has been doing for sime time, substitute the Pan-Africans with Deep Greens for Amazonia, and the East Libyan Forces with the Army of Colombia [Am]). You also have oil reserves in that area, btw, adding to a certain similarity in the theater, but I was more getting at the mercenary oriented nature of the regime forces.

Not that a war by Amazonia because someone planted trees on their territory sounds very SR to me either, but we've already been there.

However, reading the official news from the West, the East, and then browsing the blogs for some eyewitness evidence surely reminds of SR - spin work overwhelming!

Yeah, especially seeing how the East is pussyfooting around the Arab uprisings - particularily China. And the "we hate the West, you always invade us and only want our oil, now get going and invade Libya" on Al Jazeera.

Or Italy. Priceless. biggrin.gif
Inncubi
Being from Bogotá, and knowing its actually "2600 mts closer to the stars" (cue music, its an actual government slogan), I dare say along time ago people here made a netbook for Shadowrun in Colombia, and its very far from what you seem to point out. They focused on a projection of the drug cartels, the communist guerrilas and the paramilitary armies duking it out. The Colombian army suports the paramilitaries, off the record.

Now if you guys want to see bad ass training camps, there's articles on how special forces form around the world are sent to a bse here in Colombia to receive elite training for elite units. Its the Lanceros program and its arguably the harshest and most difficult training for jungle troops -and troops in general, according to some people- in the world.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...ancero-Training

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...-the-world-quot

Now, do I think Colombia is a good place for SR. Hell yes. Even paint it out as a hellhole in 6th world. Now, does the fluff support it? Dunno, War! is the first book that addresses my country (Besides Aztlan and it does only summarily).
hermit
Awesome. Might you want to give input on this? We have a little project on this.

Also, Bogotá was covered in Sprawl Sites too, though it got only 1,5 pages. Nitpicking here. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012