Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spyware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
It could be an agent doing it, or just a rating vs. rating thing but my matrix knowledge is tiny (almost nonexistent). Our current group doesn't even have a hacker in forever, so I haven't read that chapter in years (and I've never cracked the cover on Unwired).

So if someone were to access a site that wanted to install spyware or malware on their commlink, what would the rolls be to prevent it or detect it?
Belvidere
As per Unwired page 121

"Make an Opposed Test pitting the virus rating x 2 against
the node’s Firewall + System. If the virus succeeds, it infects the
targeted software, embedding a copy of its virus code into that
other program. If the node wins, it has successfully located the
virus and prevented infection and will alarm the user or system
administrator."

As for what viruses can do, in game terms, they work as program options, which can do things like switch your PAN status, or copy all data you use that specific software for. It's a GM's choice as to what programs a virus will infect. They tend not to infect the whole commlink unless it's pretty fraggin tough.
CanRay
Put a dancing purple monkey over your Image Link while you're trying to drive...
James McMurray
Thanks!

I was thinking it would sit there and silently monitor communications until the user went to one of a certain set of nodes or called one of a certain set of numbers. Then it would crash their system. When rebooted it would start sending bogus 911 calls in the background.
CanRay
Or start making collect phone calls to sex lines.

Or be a Spam Bot and get your character beaten.

Or upload a few dozen "Beer 2.0" simsense drinks into the user as soon as they use their Datajack/Trodes...
Belvidere
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Or upload a few dozen "Beer 2.0" simsense drinks into the user as soon as they use their Datajack/Trodes...

I like this idea!!
CanRay
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 7 2011, 07:33 PM) *
I like this idea!!

Yeah, until you've jacked in so you can use your Smartgun Link and find yourself so wasted you're seeing five gunsights and eight targets when you're in a shootout with only one guy...
Belvidere
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2011, 08:34 PM) *
Yeah, until you've jacked in so you can use your Smartgun Link and find yourself so wasted you're seeing five gunsights and eight targets when you're in a shootout with only one guy...

And this is why I play the hacker. rotfl.gif I can't believe I didn't even think of that one.
CanRay
That's why there's Dumpshock, man. Combine our ideas to make for one massively ultimate gaming experience!

Or beat each other over the heads with stupid comments.

Or both.

Or rum.

Usually rum. Although I sometimes prefer Port.
Belvidere
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2011, 09:18 PM) *
That's why there's Dumpshock, man. Combine our ideas to make for one massively ultimate gaming experience!

Or beat each other over the heads with stupid comments.

Or both.

Or rum.

Usually rum. Although I sometimes prefer Port.

Or run and port. grinbig.gif Then the stupid comments seem like great ideas.
CanRay
Stupid comments have turned into the greatest of plans sometimes.

"Hey, aren't we working for a Media Corp? Don't they have a Special Effects team?"

And thus the kidnapping of a cartoon was successful. Aside from the lawn beating up the safehouse.
Belvidere
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2011, 09:31 PM) *
Stupid comments have turned into the greatest of plans sometimes.

"Hey, aren't we working for a Media Corp? Don't they have a Special Effects team?"

And thus the kidnapping of a cartoon was successful. Aside from the lawn beating up the safehouse.

Hahaha!
That my friend is a truly successful run.
CanRay
Now I want to give my Accountant From Hell programming skills to make his own Malware to cause distractions as the group makes their exit.

Another useful tool. Something that goes off screwing up CommLinks just when the Corporators need them the most. Find one weak firewall on a corporate CommLink, and have it spread every time it's contacted for a security check, and you've got the whole security network infected. Set it to go off on a certain signal, and, boom. Instant chaos. Smartgun links won't work, which means smartguns won't fire. People can't see through their Image Links. Beer 2.0 and Whiskey 12.2 is installed in anyone that has a DNI with their CommLink.

Chaos! Glorious, wonderful chaos! All done with mathematical perfection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012