Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laser Pistols
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dumori
I'm back from a long absence and I just found this did a qucik search coucldn't find a post I though you all might want to see this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXXGbNS8oY...player_embedded

Thats a real laster pistol aprently its 1 mega wat pulse could well be 10 killerwatts as the makes is iffy on its exact power. It needs a lam in my eyes bar that a rarther cool item.

Source http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...Homemade-Pistol

Quick edit looks like it fell out of portal. Sleek and laser shooting.
Stahlseele
wut o.o
also, more like a plasma pistol than a laser, if i saw that right.

edit: of course, GERMAN ENGINEERING!
And this is just a pistol that was meant to be as compact as possible.
i think with a rifle there should be more possible in terms of power.
furthermore: aquire, run amok, lol at faces of people trying to figure out what the frag just happened ^^
Dumori
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2011, 11:25 AM) *
wut o.o
also, more like a plasma pistol than a laser, if i saw that right.

edit: of course, GERMAN ENGINEERING!
And this is just a pistol that was meant to be as compact as possible.
i think with a rifle there should be more possible in terms of power.
furthermore: aquire, run amok, lol at faces of people trying to figure out what the frag just happened ^^

Yeah its about 600 grams there are handguns that weigh less unloaded. So there could we'll be room for pumping up the power as right now its a bit lackluster. It's certainly a laser IR laser but a laser no less.
Stahlseele
there's a tiny plasma-ball moving from barrel to target, if you look closely o.O
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2011, 01:32 PM) *
there's a tiny plasma-ball moving from barrel to target, if you look closely o.O

That's a side effect of the laster heating up the air wink.gif
Dumori
I've looked at more of his stuff he has coilgun pistols and an eye for awesome looking cases.
Mr Clock
What the hell. A guy makes a laser for a hobby that actually has a measurable physical effect? Nice.
Dumori
I have a real urge to order one case only tbh they look darn pretty.
KCKitsune
Just think... this gun only weighs 2 pounds. A M-4 with full clip weighs 6.9 pounds.

Also think about this... this was made by some hobbyist. If a hobbyist can make this in his spare time with off the shelf components, just think what a military could do. wacko.gif
Sixgun_Sage
Me Likey...... time to get back to work on my one of my special little projects that worry the missus.
Stahlseele
seeing how it's a german guy, i'll hit him up, ask for a price and maybe order one.
James McMurray
Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1w4g2vr7B4...mp;feature=fvwp

Military nonlethal weapon CBS is calling "The Ray Gun." It's just a commercial, not the full story, but it sounds like it fires microwaves. The guy describes the effect as "like scalding water."
CanRay
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 9 2011, 11:54 AM) *
...just think what a military could do. wacko.gif

Contract the construction out to the lowest bidder who will make something that jams or doesn't work when the least bit dirty?
Stahlseele
Build it 100 times as big and into the nose of a plane.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 9 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Build it 100 times as big and into the nose of a plane.

Built it 1000 times as big, and build a plane around it. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
Eh, works too.
Or make it 10.000 times as big and put it under the runway of an aircraft carrier.
CanRay
A little hard to aim an aircraft carrier. I mean, you have to book a week in advance in order to make a right turn with those babies. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
well, if you don't really need a barrel, all you would need is an array of moveable mirrors/lenses. Put it above the bridge of the Carrier, and you now have a 360° around and 180° above firing arc with a weapon that does not need ammo, does not have barrel wear, not much of a muzzle-flash or earth shattering kaboom or anything . . and it more or less hits pretty much instantly.
and if you fire it with the power of one of thew nuclear reactors or some huge ass banks of capacitators, then you can get GOOD damage out.
It would be good for anti missle or anti aircraft. maybe even anti ship. or if it has enough reach, artillery.
KCKitsune
You know guys, the military isn't always incompetent. They can and do put out some really awesome shit.
CanRay
Artillery not so much. You can lob shells over the curvature of the Earth. Lasers, less so.

But, yeah, as for all the rest, good points! And you'd still have an aircraft carrier to deploy planes with! Also equipped with Frickin' Lasers!

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 9 2011, 01:59 PM) *
You know guys, the military isn't always incompetent. They can and do put out some really awesome shit.

Um, I was the only person to comment about the incompetent bit, and that was in reference to REMFs who are more bean counters than soldiers.

The most awesome drek I've seen from Military Intelligence (From an enlisted man, no less) was figuring out the practical application of Silly String!
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2011, 06:08 PM) *
Contract the construction out to the lowest bidder

Don't be silly...the contract would go to the most "well-connected" bidder regardless of the cost (nothing is too expensive for our troops). If the project fails or the budget overrun reaches a point were labeling detractors as unpatriotic (can't let the squabbling harm our troops) doesn't work anymore, scrap it and rubber-stamp the details of the bidding process with "national security" (to protect our troops). wink.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2011, 01:01 PM) *
The most awesome drek I've seen from Military Intelligence (From an enlisted man, no less) was figuring out the practical application of Silly String!

Do tell.
nezumi
You use it to detect nearly invisible tripwires for IEDs. There was a youtube video about it earlier, but it was taken down.
CanRay
QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 9 2011, 04:24 PM) *
You use it to detect nearly invisible tripwires for IEDs. There was a youtube video about it earlier, but it was taken down.

Exactly this. It was figured out a few weeks into the Afghan invasion/liberation/retaliation/whatever you say depending on which side you're on.

There was a major cry for Silly String to send out to troops just afterward, and it was next to impossible to get for well over a year.
Tyro
QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 9 2011, 12:24 PM) *

That is so awesome!

Why was it taken down?
Manunancy
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 10 2011, 07:46 AM) *
That is so awesome!

Why was it taken down?

Probably because it was felt that he showed too much of how to make a good tripwire trigger. Or at a minimum showing what a good trigger should look like.
CanRay
Yeah, because tripwires are so high tech and hard to learn. *Shakes Head*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012