Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The greatest generation, again
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
As the penultimate survivor of WW1 passes away and many of the generation that fought WW2 passes on I was wondering if the 6th world would also look back on it's founders the same way? How are nations seen as the age,ages?

By 2070 the GGW is some 50-60 years in the past. The people who fought in them and split up the USA and Canadian nations. The young men would be in their 70's now and the generals, unless leoized would be long gone. Do NAN citizens look back with the same nostalgia? Is it like russians looking back at veterans of the Great Patriotic War or like the Japanese who don't want to think about WW2?

How are the americans seen by NAN citizens now? More than half the population of modern, RL Vietnam was born after the war there and do not have the dislike for the Americans. similarly in Iran a great many of the population were born after the Shah died and do not view the US as the 'great satan" while the US is reviled by older members. In North Korea we are kept around as a convenient bug bear for the state.
CanRay
That's actually been something that one of my characters, "Money" Johnson, points out in "Debt of Non-Blood" when he tells someone that his Grandfather was in the Chicago Containment Zone:

“Your Grandfather?”
“Who survived all the drek that came down until 2055, and all the stuff since. Don't think old as weak, chummer. They've seen worse stuff than we have. Crash 2.0 of five-years ago was nothing compared to the Internet Crash of 2029. Not to mention the New York Food Riots, both VITAS plagues, the return of magic, goblinization of the orks and trolls... Need I go on?”

FastJack is, literally, one of the last of his breed, and knows it.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I pointed to something similar in my draft about the Amazonian Military. Saying that Hualp used some sort of ritual to bind the brazilian general's loyalty to him(her?) and the last one still alive is a retired Admiral living in a secluded paradise.
KarmaInferno
Well, one of my characters was born in 2010. I gave him Asthma and lowered physical stats to represent age.

He grumps about how everything sucks now and the old days were better.

Does that count?

-k
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 15 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Well, one of my characters was born in 2010. I gave him Asthma and lowered physical stats to represent age.

Does that count?
-k

"Back in my day, we were 1st Edition..."
Nath
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 15 2011, 10:56 PM) *
"Back in my day, we were 1st Edition..."
"I remember the first time I encountered a guy with Wired Reflexes. It was like I was paralyzed, I couldn't even move while he was killing all my team. And physical adepts... You could have a dozen of thugs or more going on them, and they were kicked one after the other just as they come."
nezumi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 15 2011, 04:36 PM) *

Does that count?

If he's a meta, he'd better have a crippling allergy.

One of the books introduced an early-UGE ork who is still alive in the ork underground. His lifespan is in the 70s or 80s, while everyone around him dies at 30. They touched on the cultural divide a little bit there, but overall he was profoundly respected (and profoundly depressed).
KarmaInferno
He's human. I use a picture of Old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond for him. Seemed appropriate.

-k
Fortinbras
This has to be a great cultural divide across the meta races as well. While orcs speak of Maria Mercurial as something their grandfathers might have listened to, there are plenty of spry elves who remember the Awakening first hand. A young Ken Burns may be traversing the orc underground to get the last first hand knowledge those dying orcs have, meanwhile the cats down in Tarislar are wondering why he bothers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012