Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are some good books for a store to carry?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seven Deadly SINs
My wife and I own a game store and we host a weekly Shadowrun game which has gotten a few new people in to play. I know a few easy choices, Cannon Campanion. SR3, Magic in the Shadows, and Man and Machine.

What are some other good choices?
Fahr
Matrix, Rigger 3
and that covers the basics

-Mike R.
Grey
Setting books are good too.

New Seattle, Shadows of North America, Return of the Comet, and others along those lines.
Kagetenshi
My suggestions: the basic books plus Target: Matrix, Target: Wastelands, Target: Awakened Lands, and the Sprawl Survival Guide. Maybe toss Threats 2 in there.

~J
Grimtooth
All I have to say is...

WOW a gaming store that asks gamers what's popular, AND plays SR!!!!

Where do I sign up?

My local gaming store doesn't carry SR.
Eldritch
You may also consider some novels. If they are available anymore. And if not, maybe hit up some used bookstores and resell them at you place. Sure you couldn't mark them up much - if at all - but it would help your current and potential SR customers get a feel for the setting.

Lilt
I'd definately suggest Rigger 3, Matrix, the Sprawl Survival Guide, Year of the Comet, and the Shadowrun Companion (but I'm not sure if that's still in print). You'll probably want to get the GMscreen/Critter-book pack too but it might not fall under the heading of 'Book'. Dragons of the 6th world is a nice book for the more powerful games but it could easily be used for ideas for imaginative GMs who might have their employer's employer working for a dragon.

The Target: books and set adventures all have their purpose. I'd try talking to people or getting one copy of each and seeing what people think they'd like.

Also: point them at the Idiot's Guide to the Matrix and Idiot's Guide to Rigging threads here. These threads are great for helping people get over the more complicated aspects of the rules.
Large Mike

Wastelands and Awakened Lands were much furthur down on my list than... pretty much everything else. I only ended up getting them for completion's sake. I don't recomment stocking them regularly.

I do suggest: SR3, Magic in the Shadows, Man & Machine, Cannon Companion (unfortunatly, it sells disguistingly well), Shadowrun Companion, New Seattle, State of the Art: 2063, Sprawl Survival Guide. In that order.
Zazen
Just out of curiosity, where's your store?
Seven Deadly SINs
The store is in Cumberland, Maryland.
broho_pcp
I don't have a local gaming store. *sob*
Synner
I'd definitely make sure Sprawl Survival Guide is on the list but I'm biased.
Firewall
QUOTE (broho_pcp)
I don't have a local gaming store. *sob*

I also run a roleplay shop, though mine is on the other side of the pond. What I would have to ask is what is the demand like for 2nd edition? Over here, I get more requests for second ed. than third ed... (and more requests for Rifts than even AD&D, but that is another story)
mfb
SoNA should definitely be on the shelf, YotC is another good one. people will probably find Matrix more useful than Rigger 3, as there tend to be more deckers than riggers. i'd reccomend SOTA:63, as well; it's got something for pretty much everybody.
BaronJ
Ooo.. an easily corrupted game-store owner... say, are you a Firebase for the Commandos yet?

On topic: not much to contribute, except perhaps Character Dossier, they're cheap and good for the bottom line, and handy in those long-term games. If you've got shiftless DMs or Suicidal PCs however, the CD isn't terribly useful since they're really only good for longer games. Although, use the copier, and you've got a great Character Sheet too.

whee?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Synner)
I'd definitely make sure Sprawl Survival Guide is on the list but I'm biased.

*grins*

The core books have all been mentioned, but just in case you're tabulating:

SR3 Core rulebook (of course)
Shadowrun Companion
Rigger 3
Matrix
Magic in the Shadows
Sprawl Survival Guide
Year of the Comet

I don't particularly like the modules... but there are some that are pretty fun to play. Guess that part is more just my own taste.

I've never been into the SR novels. I've only read two of them and had a hard time choking down some of the stories. In lieu of SR novels, I would showcase some William Gibson stuff next to your SR books.

Also, the Target books are good, but I would be more concerned with the core books first.
Large Mike

More deckers than riggers? Remind me to tell you that you're a freak.

/me pokes with stick and then climbs in Hazmat suit.

grinbig.gif
Zazen
Echo that. Decker-phobia is widespread enough it should be listed in the DSM-4.
broho_pcp
Hmmm... that makes me think

Slay-Decker Spell anyone?
Connor
If you're wanting to carry any non-core books I'll make up a similar list to Crimson Jack's list of Core Books.

In no particular order:

Shadows of North America
New Seattle
Target: (anything, especially Matrix, Awakened Lands and Wastelands)
State of the Art: 2063 (the #1 book on my needed list)
Threats 2
Character Dossier
Dragons of the Sixth World (no one seemed to mention this one yet)
Survival of the Fittest (Yes, it is an adventure book, but it's well put together all around and it hasn't been mentioned either)

There are probably a few more here and there, but obviously you won't be going out and ordering the whole line of things. The best suggestion is to get some of the core books and maybe a couple of things from the secondary material and just be willing to order in the other books on an as needed basis, unless you'd like to have a nice library of SR material for your customers to become familiar with...
Frag-o Delux
I don't run a shop, but personaly I would get at least one copy of each book and use them during your SR games to let the youngin's get a taste of them then if they ask for it order it. I would keep the origanils for myself and my shop to introduce the locals to the material out there. If you don't have the book to show them then they might never know it is out there. A lot of people have a budget also on what they can spend, so if you have the book on hand and let them flip through it it just might open their wallet. A lot of people I noticed in some game stores get nervous when their friends ask if they are going to get a certain book, what I hear them comment on is they are not sure because they don't know what is inside and if it is worth the $20 (?, it has been awhile since I bought a SR book, when is SoE comming out? smile.gif ).That is just me though.

EDIT" Just thought of this also. If you have played with the rules or at least familiar with them, you ight be able to talk them into buying a copy. I don't know what yo have to play with, if you have them your self or not, but if I was trying to sell something to someone, I would talk it up as much as possible. In fact I have had over thirty players in my group over the years, many of which thoght D&D was for losers until I introduced them to SR, by talking it some much.

Just thoughts.
Capt. Dave
State of the Art: 2063 could be a good fiscal choice. I know of 3 people who had stopped playing SR that returned to it after SOTA came out. Thats not just a book sale, that's rehooking people who will buy more books.

Oh - and riggers rule!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012