Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detect Nodes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
Will a car or device that isn't turned on appear on a wireless scan?
I had a player encounter a room full of powered-down drones and I made him turn them on before he could detect them in the matrix.
Was that the way to go, or am I just a jerk?

Or...is a device with wireless capability always "on" to some extent, just hidden?
Ascalaphus
If they're power-off, then they wouldn't be emitting anything. Of course, lots of consumer electronics only have "standby mode", for the greater profit of the electricity corporation devil.gif
CanRay
The Hyrdo Electrical Companies of Canada thanks the USA for keeping the lights and computers on. nyahnyah.gif
Makki
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 16 2011, 06:54 PM) *
The Hyrdo Electrical Companies of Canada thanks the USA for keeping the lights and computers on. nyahnyah.gif

You're welcome. In our lab, all computers are running. Even over Spring Break biggrin.gif

ontopic: I guess many devices will be on standby so they can be started remotely. That's important for drones. Otherwise you need another drone, to turn on all the drones.
CanRay
QUOTE (Makki @ Mar 16 2011, 06:29 PM) *
ontopic: I guess many devices will be on standby so they can be started remotely. That's important for drones. Otherwise you need another drone, to turn on all the drones.

Actually, that's a good idea. An Off-Line Drone that can get a signal from an external source to activate the remaining drones physically. Laser-Link or a Hardwired Connection to an obscure MAN would be good suggestions.
Yerameyahu
Seems like extra complexity and points of failure, though.
CanRay
Advantages and disadvantages. You got to weigh in on what you'd rather risk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012