Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disarm, then use it.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Makki
how do I pull it off?
the SR4A Called Shot rules tell me, I can "Knock something out of the target’s grasp."
the Disarm Maneuver in AR says, I will "knock the weapon out of the opponent’s hand."

Now I don't want the opponent's weapon to fly through the room. Some Krav Maga show off videos and Hollywood make me think, I should be able to take the Colt Government from the Guard and then use it against him. There's also the classic "turn the attackers knife 180° and direct it at him".

Mechanically easiest would be: Successful disarm + X (like the catching and rethrowing a grenade on AR 163)

Ideas?
TheOOB
Perhaps if you got exceptional success on your disarm attempt you could end up holding the weapon?
TheOOB
EDIT: Urgh, double post, why does the board keep doing this
James McMurray
You could make it a martial arts maneuver.
CanRay
I'm of the Wyatt Earp School of Martial Arts: Draw their pistol before they get a chance and beat them over the head with it.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 18 2011, 04:09 AM) *
You could make it a martial arts maneuver.
Or just make it a -6 modifier. You should be able to remove the opponent's weapon without having to learn a "super secret special technique". A maneuver could reduce/remove that extra penalty.
Makki
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 18 2011, 03:59 AM) *
Or just make it a -6 modifier. You should be able to remove the opponent's weapon without having to learn a "super secret special technique". A maneuver could reduce/remove that extra penalty.

instead of the -4? Sounds reasonable.
Dakka Dakka
yup
James McMurray
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 18 2011, 02:59 AM) *
You should be able to remove the opponent's weapon without having to learn a "super secret special technique".

In a single fluid maneuver that ensures you have control of the weapon afterwards? I don't think so.
jaellot
Sure you could, Jackie Chan taught Chris Tucker in Rush Hour.

Also, my brother is a cop, and he's was telling me about one of his higher ups talking about some of your rougher inmates, and those who have gotten out, doing this odd gestures. Something that would look like maybe a gang sign done at about waist height. Turns out they are practicing grabbing a cop's gun and working the releases so they can take it from the holster before the cop can.
James McMurray
QUOTE (jaellot @ Mar 18 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Also, my brother is a cop, and he's was telling me about one of his higher ups talking about some of your rougher inmates, and those who have gotten out, doing this odd gestures. Something that would look like maybe a gang sign done at about waist height. Turns out they are practicing grabbing a cop's gun and working the releases so they can take it from the holster before the cop can.

So you're saying they were practicing a specific maneuver designed to disarm an opponent and take the weapon? I rest my case. biggrin.gif
Dakka Dakka
My point exactly. It is always preferable to have the weapon under control to having it lying around to it being in the opponent's control. So techniques for both are taught fairly early. They are not secret or special as the maneuvers from Arsenal.
James McMurray
You think "kick" and "throw" are special secret maneuvers?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 18 2011, 08:28 PM) *
You think "kick" and "throw" are special secret maneuvers?
If you want to have the benefits of the maneuvers in Arsenal, yes. You have to buy at least one level of the Martial Arts quality and the maneuvers, which are described as special and secret, to kick or throw with benefits. With only Unarmed Combat there is no benefit for kicking over striking. Throwing is impossible without the maneuver, you only have the generic subdual action.
Yerameyahu
I don't buy the 'you'd always teach disarm-to-control' idea. 'Knocking the weapon from their grasp' is a totally different action from 'grab and control their weapon'.
Raven the Trickster
I would think the called shot to knock the weapon out of the hand is what's defined in the core rulebook, and the disarm maneuver is to actually take the weapon away. That's how we've played it at our table at any rate.
GrimWulf
I could have sword there was a rule that when you disarmed someone (and had no weapon in your hand yourself) you could immediately use that weapon... I have looked through my books and now I have no clue where I saw that... or even what game system it was in. :/
Makki
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Mar 18 2011, 10:34 PM) *
I would think the called shot to knock the weapon out of the hand is what's defined in the core rulebook, and the disarm maneuver is to actually take the weapon away. That's how we've played it at our table at any rate.

I think that's wrong in two ways:
-The Disarm Maneuver allows only Full Parry. Not Full Block. So you need to hold a weapon in your hand(s) yourself. I can't see you take an additional weapon.
-"knock the weapon out of their opponent’s hand" is a pretty clear statement.

But as always: Whatever fits your table.
Just keep in mind, that you're actually using a maneuver which I was trying to invent by starting a new thread about it biggrin.gif
Yerameyahu
AFAIK, the difference between Called Shot to Disarm and MA Disarm (Parry) is that the former is an attack, and the latter is a defense. Right?
Makki
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 18 2011, 10:52 PM) *
AFAIK, the difference between Called Shot to Disarm and MA Disarm (Parry) is that the former is an attack, and the latter is a defense. Right?

Correct. And I so wanna houserule the Disarm maneuver to work unarmed (Block). (And Two Weapon Style as well, actually)
Yerameyahu
Makes sense. I've heard people talk about those changes before. smile.gif On the subject of disarm-and-wield, though, are you saying an extra -2 penalty or something? Maybe you take (and Ready Weapon for free, don't forget) on critical successes?
Raven the Trickster
Valid point... we did exactly that, at least with disarm. Although if you want to get really technical about it, my character isn't unarmed, he's using shock gloves... which just happen to use the unarmed skill as their dice pool.
Saint Hallow
Wasn't there a rule or mechanic for this in SR3? Some sort of MA maneuver that allowed you to disarm your opponent, and if you had enough successes, the weapon you disarmed could remain in your hand/possession and ready for use the next IP? I thought there was such optional rule or modification in 1 of the SR3 sourcebooks.
Yerameyahu
Well, let's not get into that can of worms (Hardliner gloves, Adept powers, weapon foci…).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012