Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic VS actual physics?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Just a little thought I had (imagine that...)

Now, I wan't some discussion about this since it has two or three functions.

1. GM VS mages, how to screw your players 101
2. Mage VS Mage tactics
3. Inventive use of magic

According to the description of a basic physical barrier spell it practically stops any kind of physical impact but let smaller particles through like gas, light etc.

Light, now that that struck a spark wink.gif

If the barrier didn't let light particles through then one wouldn't be able to see through the barrier, right?

So what about a few elemental manipulation spells? Lightning? That is essentially pure energy and not really a physical object, it's a mass of particles. Laser? Laser is LITERALLY light and should, theoretically pass through a physical barrier even though it is a "physical" spell.

Yea, ok, so one could say that it is "magic" that makes the laser go zap against the barrier. So, why are there so much complicated physical rules about magic then? Treshold, energy VS mass etc?

A physical barrier is very useful but some spells would actually ignore it. What about an actual Acid Mist/Gas spell? It should pass through since it could be made to function like a gas.
Large Mike

OoooOoooh! (devilish laugh)

In addition to the cut of your jib, I like the sound of your town. Murfreesboro.

But we have the All-Wide Science Fair just around the corner, and I've been straining for a project.

First, we make players confident that Physical Barrier is the new Awexome. Next, we introduce them to our control the MP Laser III, (for the first time, I might add), and then we introduce them to a weather mage.

Near the end, I predict they will be:
-Violent
-Erratic
-Really Funny to Watch.

I have high hopes for this project, and am certain I will take first prize this year.

biggrin.gif
mfb
i think of barriers as being, basically, a very fine-mesh screen. yes, lasers can pass through it, but they'd scatter some; easiest to treat it as if the barrier provides armor as normal. lightning, same, just on GP.

the reason magic faces such complications against purely physical targets is that you have to do more work to make a magical effect purely physical. electricity works on a similar concept: think of mana as being electricity, stored in a giant astral battery. auras, basically, act as conductors--they provide an easy route for mana to reach the phyiscal plane. to affect anything without an aura, you have to push through the resistor that seperates the astral from the physical.
The Jopp
QUOTE (mfb)
i think of barriers as being, basically, a very fine-mesh screen. yes, lasers can pass through it, but they'd scatter some; easiest to treat it as if the barrier provides armor as normal. lightning, same, just on GP.

A good point but that is also already covered by it's haze/glow that gives you a +1 TN modifier.

The problem with such a barrier is that it would reduce a basic laser spell F6 VS barrier F6 (6-6=0). The end result would be that the barrier nullifies the effect of the laser. Quite powerful "mesh".

Even though the say a barrier is "physical" and elemental spells are "physical" they arent so easy to fix. A fireball as i understands it use the astral to transport itself to the target but is impeded by any physical object standing in it's way and detonates at said point. A laser is still light, and can light be "hard" light and have mass? Enough mass to be equall to a bullet?

Laser spell should have the same effect as laser weapons, armour has no effect.
mfb
no laser on any imaginable scale will have the mass of a bullet, especially SR lasers (which come in quick, .0001 second bursts). and armor does affect laser weapons, just not very well--impact armor offers 1/2 its rating.
Kagetenshi
I'd let lasers blow through, lightning bolts blow through as well, and stop fireballs, etc.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Looking at the barrier-type spells, I always envisioned Physical Barrier as momentum-scattering. Basically every time a molecule/photon/quantum unit enters the Barrier's area, its momentum is scattered in a random direction. In other words, say a photon is traveling towards the Barrier at 3E8 meters per second, the speed of light. Upon hitting the barrier, the absolute speed of the photon doesn't change--that's impossible. The direction of movement, however, changes, causing the photon to head off--at the speed of light--in an essentially random direction.

This isn't really as radical an idea as it sounds. Paint and frosted-glass windows scatter light in essentially the same way, although paint does it by absorption while Barrier I presume does it by some sort of magic-intersecting-reality method. I prefer the idea that the spell fragments space-time, but you can insert whatever thaumatological explanation you like, including some sort of miraculous divine/totematic intervention. The important thing, though, is that it affects each molecule/photon/unit individually. The net effect then is that an macro-object like a laser beam or bullet or arm, that is made up of many molecules/photons/units, is stopped as its momentum is scattered in all directions. A laser will just degenerate into a bright flash of light; a bullet will slam into the wall and stop as half its momentum is reflected back the way it came.

This is of course how a *perfect* Barrier would stop objects/laser shots/etc. An imperfect Barrier (that is, one with less-than-infinite Force) would fail in some way. Perhaps a large amount of mass/energy causes "normal" space-time to reassert itself?
Warmaster Lah
I'm not so versed on magic so maybe you guys can help me along.

But I was always of the assuption that the Barrier spell blocked the lightning or the laser spell because it was a spell. Someone took mana, shaped it, and targeted you so your spell should be able to stop it. I don't know maybe thats Spell Defense or sheilding that I am thinking about.

And I guess those are physical spells huh, so once cast they are the same as if mundane in origin?

And what about a lasergun or some jhole with a gas dispensor. Hmmm I don't know about this either. Maybe its that the Barrier spell cast is layered or something. Like it works on multiple levels depending on the threat invovled. Is magic even that "smart"?

Hmmm, also maybe the Barrier acts on intent then instead of physics. Is that possible?
kevyn668
Warmaster Lah  Posted on Mar 23 2004, 03:24 AM     
But I was always of the assuption that the Barrier spell blocked the lightning or the laser spell because it was a spell. Someone took mana, shaped it, and targeted you so your spell should be able to stop it. I don't know maybe thats Spell Defense or sheilding that I am thinking about.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. The lightning is an elemental effect of the mana the mage just gathered up and sent your way. W/o the mana, there'd be no lightning. I would argue then that the barrier stops the the flow of mana and w/o the mana to guide it the lightning will either continue on toward its target (if it has suffiecent force) or will it won't (insuffiecent force).

Don't know what to tell you on the laser.
Kagetenshi
I was actually thinking of a physical laser with mundane origin.

~J
John Campbell
Physical Barrier explicitly does not affect non-elemental-manipulation spells, which pretty well shoots down all the "stopping the mana flow" theories. The description does leave open the possibility of affecting elemental manipulations, but doesn't explicitly say that they are affected. I'd interpret this as meaning that elemental manipulations are stopped or not stopped just as they would be if they were natural effects. This means that some elemental effects - Acid, Blast, Fire, Light, Lightning, and Water - should pass through it with little to no difficulty, others - Metal and Sand - should be stopped by it, and the last couple - Ice and Smoke - may or may not be affected, depending on how the GM interprets their effects... whether Ice is just biting cold that should radiate through the permeable barrier without trouble, or whether it's a blast of ice shards that would be stopped by it, and whether the particles in the smoke are small enough to pass through the barrier or not.

My question is: If you shoot an invisible person with a laser, does it affect them? Does it affect the visible person standing behind them? (Improved Invisibility should be assumed... the mana version obviously has no effect.)

Similarly, will a Trid Phantasm barrier stop laser fire?
Herald of Verjigorm
I could see an invisibility/phantasm spell reducing the power of a laser weapon just as a silence spell reduces the power of sonic attacks. Neither provides complete defense, but it can interfere.
Zazen
Physical Barrier reduces the power of lasers by 1 in my games, and also the effect of any glare penalties across the barrier. If it's opaque enough for a 1-point visibility penalty, I figure it's good for one point of just about everything to do with light passing through.

Just my opinion smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (John Campbell)
My question is: If you shoot an invisible person with a laser, does it affect them? Does it affect the visible person standing behind them? (Improved Invisibility should be assumed... the mana version obviously has no effect.)

Similarly, will a Trid Phantasm barrier stop laser fire?

Illusion spells affect the mind and not the physical world so the person you fire a laser at would be hit, you just wouldn't see it happen sinc your brain has been fooled.

IF you had a spell that bend light AKA "predator" style cammo (elemental light manipulation perhaps) then I would either inflict a lowered power since the beam is twisted around the person or higher TN.
toturi
Imp Invis is physical, I think.
kevyn668
toturi Posted on Mar 23 2004, 08:32 AM
  Imp Invis is physical, I think. 

Ditto.
BitBasher
Improved invis is physical in the sense that it fools electroniuc devices, but it's still just an illusion. There is no physical manipulation of light. This is a grey area of spell categories that can spiral downhill in argument quite easily.
Herald of Verjigorm
Physical illusions are completely physical, they aren't called manipulation spells because there are too drekkin' many manipulation spells already.
Austere Emancipator
In other words, you support the school of thought that a Physical Illusion spell can manipulate light waves? Which means that, in your games, resisting a Physical Illusion spell will not let you see through it, for example, but only tell that it isn't real?

I'm of the school of thought that Illusions affect the minds of people, and in case they are Physical, also the "minds" of machines, but never directly manipulate light.

For those who think Physical Illusions actually manipulate light: How does Improved Invisibility work in your games? If someone resists it, what exactly do they see?
Herald of Verjigorm
a) how can the stealth and silence spells stop the creation or transmission of sound if they are not true physical effects?

b) magic and mundane physics are drastically different. One force 1 spell can create an effect measured in gigajoules, while another force 6 spell is limited to a few kilojoules or less. If you want magic to suffer limits based on mundane physics, then each elemental manipulation will have drastically different damage and drain codes.

c) improved invisibility redefines the properties of a subject to be mostly translucent. If you look closely, you can see the errors. High force spells and many successes reduce the errors. A perfect casting would be completely indistinguishable from empty air, while a normal casting may resemble a human shaped region of in air refraction (like a mirage) and a bad casting still has most of the colors in a faded translucent form.
Austere Emancipator
a) They fool the listener (organism or machine) into believing they do not hear sounds originating from that area.

b) I ain't touching the energy values here. Frankly, I don't care about them either.

c) In that case, do you use Ruthenium-like rules for Improved Invisibility? Because it sure sounds like you should.
BitBasher
Physical illusions are completely physical, they aren't called manipulation spells because there are too drekkin' many manipulation spells already.

I agree with AM here, and here's an example why:

You make an illusionary small one way mirror dome (people can see in and cannot see out) around the your opponents. Now regardless if the defenders resist the spell, the dome is literally created by the manipulation of light so they can never, ever see out and there is not a thing they can do about it. Period. But people can still see in and shoot them easily. Most illusions would work the same way.

I prefer illusions to work more like a SEP field. They are not actually physically invisible but that doesn't stop machines and people from ignoring them and not realizing they are there. It solves a LOT of illusion based problems.
TheScamp
I'm of the school of thought that Illusions affect the minds of people, and in case they are Physical, also the "minds" of machines, but never directly manipulate light.

It is explicitly stated that Physical Illusions "create actual sensory input." Take that as you will. Personally, I see it as (in the case of Imp. Invis.) the spell altering what goes into your eyes. Now, just as with any spell, if you successfully resist it, you are completely unaffected by it. That means an invisibility spell effectively doesn't exist for those who have resisted it. The manipulation takes place (IMO) not at the point of the invisible person, but rather at receptors (eyes, ears, whatever is appropriate) of those perceiving.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
a) They fool the listener (organism or machine) into believing they do not hear sounds originating from that area.

Read the description. Lines like: "...and nothing they do makes noise." are a bit different from "and no one will hear them."

If the spells fool the minds of people, then they must be a subset of control manipulations and the range of effect would be limited accordingly. If the spells change the information that will be detected by a person, then my description of improved invisibility is as valid as any other.
The rules don't mandate what an invisible person looks like so it can fit the specific game environment and the psychology of the mage who cast the spell. For some mages, invisibility will look like a more perfect form of physical camoflage, for others it will be a somebody else's problem field. By the rules, both are possible, and both can occur in the same run.

As for the "one way mirror dome," if they make the intelligence test, they can see through it well enough to shoot you. If they walk through it, they can see well enough to shoot you. If thef exit the other side, your allies can't see them either unless they make the test. It is not a easy, unstoppable victory.
BitBasher
It is explicitly stated that Physical Illusions "create actual sensory input."Take that as you will.
In SR's magic "Creaties sensory input" and "alters light" do not have to be the same thing. The most basic example of that is the mana version of invisibility.

Personally, I see it as (in the case of Imp. Invis.) the spell altering what goes into your eyes. Now, just as with any spell, if you successfully resist it, you are completely unaffected by it. That means an invisibility spell effectively doesn't exist for those who have resisted it.
There are problems with that version of the interpretation too. All you need to do is cast a force one invisibility on a wall or door and voluntarily fail the spell resistance test. you cna see through the door and can shoot the persons on the other side, whereas unless they botch, they resist the spell and the door is still opaque to them. Many abuses of the rules a specifically possible under that interpretation. That's why I prefer all versions of the spells work on a deeper mentla level instead of on the light manipulation level.

If the spells fool the minds of people, then they must be a subset of control manipulations and the range of effect would be limited accordingly.
You have all this exactly backwards. An illusion, By Definition fools someone into believing false sensory input. A manipulation would create real sensory input.

Ironically The definition of the word "Illusion" is directly contradictory to the Shadowrun definition of "Physical Illusion" as quoted in the beginning of this post. Someone did poor research in writing this section.

some mages, invisibility will look like a more perfect form of physical camoflage,
That's an entirely different spell. Camoflague, that is.

As for the "one way mirror dome," if they make the intelligence test, they can see through it well enough to shoot you.
Not if thge done is created by the actual manipulation of light, as suggested earlier. Resisting the spell doesnt change the fact that it's still physically there created by the manipulation of light. You would just know it's an illusion.

This whole conversation has serious issues because of perception. There are many valid interpretations of how illusions can work, and they are laregly dependant on whether your gamers have exploited the hell out of your specific interpretation. My perception comes from having worked out the problems associated thusly for my group. It is often futile in my experience to attempt to explain magic solely through juystification of modern application of physics. It's magic.
Kagetenshi
Interesting quirk of Invisibility: you're still invisible to people you can't see.

~J
TheScamp
In SR's magic "Creaties sensory input" and "alters light" do not have to be the same thing. The most basic example of that is the mana version of invisibility.

1. The mana version doesn't create actual sensory input, not being a physical illusion.
2. They don't have to be the same thing, which is why I said, "Take that as you will." Further, my interpretation doesn't require that they be the same thing, either.

All you need to do is cast a force one invisibility on a wall or door and voluntarily fail the spell resistance test. you cna see through the door and can shoot the persons on the other side, whereas unless they botch, they resist the spell and the door is still opaque to them.

That's a problem with Invisibility in general.
Austere Emancipator
However, with the interpretation that Physical Illusions manipulate light waves, you could then blow away the opposition on the other side of the invisible door with laser weapons.

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Lines like: "...and nothing they do makes noise." are a bit different from "and no one will hear them."

Insert comment about trees and falling and empty forests here.

If the spells fool the minds of people, then they must be a subset of control manipulations and the range of effect would be limited accordingly.

Let's cut the must be's and have to's, because there aren't any absolutes here. Yours is an interpretation of the rules and has as many problems as any other. Anyway, the description of the spell Invisibility already says that it affects the minds of viewers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012