Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting video of HMG/Autocannon in action
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Solstice
http://www.vetsquad.com/Helicopter_Kills.mpeg

All I can say is: wow. No matter how many times you see this it never loses it's impact.

Kagetenshi
Anyone have any insight as to why there was that long a delay before firing commenced?

~J
Lilt
The gunfire may have looked slightly more dramatic than it really was due to the thermal imaging. Is it possible that what look like explotions are actually just dust kicked-up by the high-caliber bullet? Having neverlooked through thermal goggles at gunfire I can't really say.
sidartha
Those were low light goggles not thermal gogles and so yes what you saw was dust. Did anyone notice the round counter at the bottom right of center? That thing was firing 20 rnds per burst!
BitBasher
An object lesson in why you dont piss off someone with a 20mm cannon that can shoot you from a mile aaway and you dont even know they are there.
Shadow
Unless they have changed NVG's in the last few years I would say that was thermal. NVG's put a green tint on everything.

As for the video...

An object lesson in why war is the last option.
TheScamp
Unless they have changed NVG's in the last few years I would say that was thermal. NVG's put a green tint on everything.

It could just be a black and white recording, though.
Crimson Jack
Very impressive.
Shadow
QUOTE (TheScamp)

It could just be a black and white recording, though.

And that, good sir, is entirely possible. That hadn't occured to me when I watched it. The few thermal view finders I have looked through allways display there data (the image) in b&w.. which is why I thought it was thermal instead of NVG.
mfb
it was thermal. note that the engines on the trucks are warm. also, NVGs present a much higher-quality image. the fact that there are two speakers leads me to believe that this was shot in an Apache--pilots sometimes bring video recorders/cameras with them, and i know Apaches have IR cameras. the reason for the long delay between firing and impact is that the helicopter doing the shooting was a goodly distance away--far enough away that the targets don't even hear the sound of the chopper's engine. they also don't hear the sound of the weapon until a few seconds after the rounds impact, which is why you don't see them trying to get out of the way. if it was an Apache, that's a 30mm cannon that's being fired, and the rounds are--i believe--explosive.

if you listen to the pilots, the reason it took them so long to get shooting initially was that they had to switch from laser distancing to auto distancing. i'm not sure what auto distancing is--maybe determining range based on how far the camera is focusing? regardless, it was important because there's a computer that does their aiming for them (and you thought smartgoggles were sci-fi!); if its range information is wrong, it will shoot too low or too high.
cykotek
It actually is IR. If you look to the upper left, you can see the "FLIR" designation. Also, people don't glow like that on image amplification. And the "dust" is also partially hot from the fine red mist of the first target, and the ricochets and sparking from the vehicles that were nearby as well.
mcb
http://www.atk.com/productsPrecision/descr...0mmChainGun.htm

I believe that the above was the offending weapon system, 30mm chaingun.

That was a bit grusome. Those poor guys seemed like they couldn't even tell where the rounds were coming from.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee

Kagetenshi
Yeah, it was pretty clear that no one had any idea what was happening. The only one to have managed to do anything coherent was the guy who hid behind the truck.

~J
GunnerJ
Then you see him rolling over and trying to crawl away...
kryton
Would that qualify as a snuff film? Dude that's gruesome. It's like watching a video game where you killing the baddies but freaking people are dying for real. That's one of the things I like about SR when someone dies it's not for real......War really is like a video game, that frightens me......I wonder if skynet is listening? Watching bunkers explode or is cool. Watching someone distentigrate kind of turns my stomach......And I voted Republican last election......uhhhh I need some beer.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (kryton)
Watching bunkers explode is cool. Watching someone distentigrate kind of turns my stomach.

Because of course, all those important bunkers are just manned by robots.
kryton
On a side note I work with a guy who use to maintain the electronics on a apache. He was saying that when they fire the large caliber guns like that that they have to fire continuously or else they damage the internal mechanisms. Down in North Carolina they would "fix" some of the piolts who had a propensity for firing short bursts. They would load the amunition belts with a round every other bullet. None of the pilots caught on. After watching that clip I see why he's so against going into Iraq. We never actually see any one dying. When you see that sort thing in RL up front and personal war takes on a different dimension. I give those guys over there alot of respect, that's got to be something that haunts you till you die.
kryton
What you don't see you don't normally think about it. (Out of sight out of mind.) Just like the road to Bagdad....That bacame a death field. That sort of footage is ussually "edited". That can't be good.

I wonder if they develop these weapon systems with the idea that they want you to fire and forget. Being ordered to kill someone can never be easy. But pointing a cross hair on a red blip is alot easier than seeing someone's head explode. Snipers in Vietnam were close enough not only to see their prey but hear the noises they make when certain parts get "impacted". There's a guy I knew in the early 90's who will never leave Vietnam and can explain in detail what someone's head sounds like when it takes a round.
Shadow
QUOTE (cykotek)
It actually is IR. If you look to the upper left, you can see the "FLIR" designation. Also, people don't glow like that on image amplification. And the "dust" is also partially hot from the fine red mist of the first target, and the ricochets and sparking from the vehicles that were nearby as well.

I can't belive I missed that. For those of you who don't know...

FLIR = Forward Looking Infra Red

It was a technology I belive that got developed in the early 80's and is used to see targets a good distance away. Tomcat's can carry a version of it and act as 'spotters' for F/A-18's
Shadow
I would also guess from the way those rounds tore through the trucks that they were depleted uranium, but that's just a guess.
Kagetenshi
Given that they were ordinary trucks, they wouldn't have to be DU rounds. HMG round'd do just fine.

~J
FlakJacket
That's no Heavy Machine Gun. I figure something like a .50 BMG is what sort of caliber a HMG has. For 30mm canons you're way into Autocanon territory by then.
Kagetenshi
I said that HMG rounds'd do fine, which they would. So would miniguns and MMG, probably. Autocannons'd have no need in the least for DU.

And yes, I did misidentify, but don't you love it when a flawed observation yields a correct conclusion? wink.gif

~J
Raptor1033
whatever it is they're using it almost looks like a dual mount system. i swear when they're taking out the first guy i see 2 bullet trails
sidartha
QUOTE (Shadow @ Mar 23 2004, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (cykotek @ Mar 22 2004, 06:27 PM)
It actually is IR.  If you look to the upper left, you can see the "FLIR" designation.  Also, people don't glow like that on image amplification.  And the "dust" is also partially hot from the fine red mist of the first target, and the ricochets and sparking from the vehicles that were nearby as well.

I can't belive I missed that. For those of you who don't know...

FLIR = Forward Looking Infra Red

It was a technology I belive that got developed in the early 80's and is used to see targets a good distance away. Tomcat's can carry a version of it and act as 'spotters' for F/A-18's

My bad then, I didn't think that the Apache still carried IR.
Beast of Revolutions
If that was an Apache, then the cannon was 30mm, probably DU too. Nice of them to finish off that wounded guy.
mfb
they do, indeed. the Longbow upgrade, i believe, has an improved FLIR system. and that does look like the FLIR display on an Apache; however, i can't say for sure that the Little Bird doesn't use the same system. (it'd make sense if they did, but the US Army isn't really built around sense.)

i have to doubt those were DU rounds. we don't use them very often anymore.
kryton
In all honesty he probably wouldn't have lasted that long. At the end of Vietnam, it became logistically clear that it was more difficult for the enemy to take care of wounded than to burry the dead. Weapons development changed to make weapons that were better at mameing than out right killing. They're still finding explosives in Cambodia from unexploded cluster type bombs. The munitions fires off and carpets an area with small explosives spheres packed with explosives creating a mini claymore. Unexploded ordances are all over the place. Kids find them thnking the yellow spheres are toys and if they're lucky they just loose an arm or a leg.
Zazen
So where was this video shot, and how recent is it?

Those are the second and third questions my girlfriend asked me as she looked over at the screen and saw the video playing. The first was why something like this would be on a game forum, which I wasn't able to answer.
Solstice
QUOTE (Zazen)
So where was this video shot, and how recent is it?

Those are the second and third questions my girlfriend asked me as she looked over at the screen and saw the video playing. The first was why something like this would be on a game forum, which I wasn't able to answer.

Well it's a RL perspective on how an autocannon works and why you should include a small blast radius when resolving autocannon damage. It's very relevant to the game and it is indeed rare that such a display is available with which to fine tune the game rules, however gruesome.

I'm not able to answer your girl friends questions I'm sorry.

I'm sure we are all adults and able to handle it.

If you were for some reason offended, I don't apologize and you can view my disclaimer in the thread title.
Zazen
You've got me all wrong, I wasn't offended at all. I just wasn't able to explain it to her in a satisfactory way, and now she thinks I'm a little weird for playing games that involve gory films of people being reduced to kibble.
Austere Emancipator
The explosions are so large, the rounds are most likely M789 HEDP (and not kinetic energy penetrators, DU or any other kind). 21.5g shaped charge, claimed to be lethal up to 10ft and to penetrate 2" of armor steel.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's from Operation Allied Force or Noble Anvil, Kosovo '99. But that's not based on anything. Might as well be from the 1st Gulf War. Seems somewhat unlikely that it'd be from the 2nd one.

Area damage for Autocannons would make a lot of sense (as long as they're firing explosive shells), but that's pretty hard to do with the SR rules. For single shots it's not bad, but for autofire... Anyone got suggestions how to make it work without some sort of mathematical or dice-rolling nightmare?
Frag-o Delux
Not familiar with military practice is it is depicted in that clip, why did they have to wait for movement to destroy the vehicles?

EDIT: Watched it again, I think I found out why. It seems they were making sure they killed all the people first before usingrounds on the vehicles, I guess they wanted to make sure the people were dead before using their limited ammo on vehicles.
mfb
could've been any number of reasons. at a guess, the reason was that the trucks weren't the primary target--the people were. they probably mentioned the trucks simply as reference points.
Frag-o Delux
Nope, the gunner kept asking to kill the trucks, it seemed he was more interested in shooting them (with good reason, they are not people I would assume). The only time the trucks became a reference is when the wounded person was trying to make an escape, as best he could. The people were the obvious target, I was just wondering why the gunner kept waiting to see movement before shooting the cars.
GunnerJ
Area damage for Autocannons would make a lot of sense (as long as they're firing explosive shells), but that's pretty hard to do with the SR rules. For single shots it's not bad, but for autofire... Anyone got suggestions how to make it work without some sort of mathematical or dice-rolling nightmare?

I don't see why it'd be that difficult. It would just require a slight tweaking of the explosive rounds rules for autocannons. Instead of simply increasing the power by 1 or 2, explosive autocannon rounds have the same damage level as normal, but the blast radius of a defensive HE grenade. When it hits, you can calculate explosive staging as per normal (roll half the power against TN 4, stage up for every two successes). This staging would be for determining damage of the explosion, and any extra successes on the ranged combat test would only apply to unfortunates actually hit by the rounds (in addition to explosive staging. Ouch.)

As for burst fire, same deal, but the power and damage level increases for a burst. To determine explosive staging, roll half the power, modified by the burst.

So say your combat monster is firing a 10S autocannon with explosive rounds in a five round burst: stage up the damage code to 15D for burst fire, blast radius is the same as a defensive HE grenade, and the explosion's staging is one level (from deadly) for every two successes on a 7D6 vs TN 4 test.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (GunnerJ)
blast radius of a defensive HE grenade

First I was like "WHAAAT?!", until I realized SR has def and off grenades mixed up... Still, that would make small cannons too deadly IMO. Even in a non-shaped charge setup, I doubt a RL 20mm cannon could manage a lethal radius of more than 10ft/3m. At -2/m, even an itsy-bitsy PAC would be almost guaranteed to kill unarmored personnel in a 6 meter radius.

With the autocannons this would be just as bad, although the fact that a 12-rnd burst of AC goodness is still just +12 Power helps a bit. Vigilant on FA with Explosive ammo would do 30D, -2/m, for a lethal radius of 12 meters. Though I guess that's sort of realistic. It does mean, however, that autocannons would become absolute personnel-killers, capable of reducing even your most horrible cyberplatedmilspechardened cyclopses to a bloody pulp in 1 second flat (assuming a decent rigger), without even needing to roll much anything.

Hey, the more I think about this, the more I'm liking it! vegm.gif

10S autocannon

No such thing. You're thinking about HMGs, for which explosive rounds do not have a significant area effect.
holychampion

http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/
Saw a few of these up close and personal in the marines.
Lilt
The hard thing to factor-in is how the scatter of the bullets on autofire would affect the area damage. I'm trying to get a system whereby the power of the area damage is increased by the standard 1/bullet fired rules but I can't get the area to behave how I want it. Also: If the recoil was not compensaed well, the spread would bewider but less powerful.

What area would you say the blast radius of the 20 round bursts in that video were?
GunnerJ
T AUSTERE: For the blast radius, I simply chose the type of grenade I knew had the lower radius, but perhaps -4 per meter is more appropriate.

Also, you're right that all autocannons have a base D damage rating. But I think this should be viewed as being based on them having normal, large slug rounds that just sink into whatever they hit. IMO, being explosive should lower the base damage level (while the explosion istelf can potentially raise it) just as a balance mechanism.
simonw2000
QUOTE (Shadow)
An object lesson in why war is the last option.

How true.
Austere Emancipator
If hand grenades and minigrenades are 10S, something like 6S-8S would probably be appropriate for the blast of an autocannon HE round. However, the person getting hit by one should still be getting the 18D (or 20D).

The 20-round bursts in the clip don't look like they'd be lethal to more than 5 meters away.

How would(/should, in your opinion) suppressive fire work with fully automatic weapons with a blast radius?
Lilt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
How would(/should, in your opinion) suppressive fire work with fully automatic weapons with a blast radius?

Messily eek.gif twirl.gif dead.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

Ask any Mk 19 gunner. He'll tell you happily. spin.gif
Solstice
QUOTE (Zazen)
You've got me all wrong, I wasn't offended at all. I just wasn't able to explain it to her in a satisfactory way, and now she thinks I'm a little weird for playing games that involve gory films of people being reduced to kibble.

Yes, I suppose things like this aren't exactly the best image builder. Especially if your trying to convince that significant other to let you game just one more night per week.... biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
I'm pretty sure I know how it works IRL. What I want to know is, how would it work out in SR, rules-wise?
Frag-o Delux
Extend the danger zone by the blast of the bullet. If the one normal bullet covers a meter then the that exploding piece of hell will now cover 5 meters or what ever the radius would be. If some poor schumk is hit in an over lapping area then he had to resist both or 5 shots. smile.gif Just a thought.
GunnerJ
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Extend the danger zone by the blast of the bullet. If the one normal bullet covers a meter then the that exploding piece of hell will now cover 5 meters or what ever the radius would be. If some poor schumk is hit in an over lapping area then he had to resist both or 5 shots.

While sensible, this does get into the whole "dice rolling nightmare" mentioned earlier.

My idea was to simply use the burst-fire modification to a shot. Blast radius is based on the power of the blast, decreasing by a set amount per meter. A 20-round burst with a 6S explosion which weakens at -4 power per meter would have a blast power of 26 and disperse over a 6-and-a-half meter radius area.
Lilt
How about just saying that they can't dodge?
blakkie
WARNING: Secondhand (maybe 3rd-hand) info from the first time i saw that link.

That is suppositly GW2 footage, apparently shown on TV a short time ago. That bag/tarp under the tractor was holding an an RPG, that was being stashed. That is why the guy is frantically pulling it out after the first burst hit, thinking he would be able to return fire.

EDIT: This is the end or middle of a longer version that shows the RPG being stashed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012