Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winches. What would YOU do with one?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Faraday
Mostly trying to come up with good situations for a winch. I'm thinking of adding it to my toyota gopher.
Xahn Borealis
I made a char recently who has an enhanced winch attached to an Fed-Boeing Kull, it's meant to be used to lower the Kull's cargo (boom-boom biggrin.gif) but I don't see a reason it couldn't be used to lift something else up....
Regiment
Well... first things first... you have to find a decent truck to put it on wink.gif sorry, bad joke about a different post topic...

Then you watch the trailer to Fast Five (the next fast and the furious movie) where they are towing the vault down the road via winch.

Lots of ideas come to mind after that... the least of which being a very sexy pink mohawk way of creating an entrance or exit to a secure facility.

Could also sneak up and attach it to a boss's car of some sort and drag it off... then he sends his security goons to chase you down, meanwhile, he... and his stuff... are much less protected for the job that the rest of the team has to do.
Nath
Heard once at the end of a gaming session : "Ok guys, we got a prisoner, a tow truck with a winch and a toolbox, and one week to think about it."
Stahlseele
Attach Harpoon to it, go to town, call it a day.
Xahn Borealis
"No no, PHISHING. With a Pee-Aitch."

<SCHINK> "AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!"

"Too late. Where do you want him?"
KarmaInferno
Winch + hang-glider + troll = fun times.

-k
jaellot
The hardest part about using a wench properly is getting through the corset. Oh wait, wrong kind...
Yerameyahu
You could… um… pull stuff in stationary situations?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 2 2011, 02:20 PM) *
You could… um… pull stuff in stationary situations?

British people are laughing at that. biggrin.gif
CanRay
There's always the classic Anti-Gogogogang technique. Truck in one alleyway, hook/gecko-tip on a light post. 'Runner pisses off the Go-Gang, the give chase, he drives over the winch cable, which goes taunt...

Oh, look, it's at head level for everyone except for Dwarves and Trolls. (Adjust height if dealing with a Dwarf or Troll gang.).
Xahn Borealis
It's also fun to replace the cable with monowire. biggrin.gif
CanRay
Use the winch cable to rappel down the side of a parkade after setting the "Cleaner Charge" to go off on the vehicle.
Stahlseele
in addition to gecko tips, use it for more safety when driving up walls.
aim to the side to go around corners at full speed by attaching the cable to a lamp post or something.
CanRay
Surprised I haven't thought of this before: Use it to drag the son of a slitch that you really, really hate through the worst parts of the Barrens behind your car.

Let everyone know what happens when they slot with you.
Yerameyahu
The winch is probably in the front, but sure. You can do that with any old rope, though. smile.gif
Stahlseele
Heck, you can do that with a sufficiently strong metahuman with long enough arms . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 2 2011, 06:57 PM) *
Heck, you can do that with a sufficiently strong metahuman with long enough arms . .

Or your foot and an open door: "I can do this all day."
Stahlseele
i have done this to the teams awakened slut/whore(don't ask) once when she fragged up another run . .
basically held her upside down on her ankles with her head 10 cm above the blood stained floor the van we were escaping in was driving on.
her hair got VERY messy and had to be cut down to about one hands width to salvage anything.
basically, like dipping a dogs nose into it's own mess.
Yerameyahu
Creepy.
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 2 2011, 07:16 PM) *
Creepy.

Better than most groups and how they deal with frag ups.
Faraday
I <3 dumpshock and its wretched nefarious deviant awesome denizens. smile.gif

Thanks for all the ideas. More are, of course, always welcome.
Angelone
You can always use it for some "frontier justice".
Faraday
Maybe, although being on the business end of that baby is a real drag. Maybe have a gaggle of humanis goons strung up on the end and dragged, slowly, through meta neighborhoods.
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 2 2011, 08:48 PM) *
You can always use it for some "frontier justice".

I already mentioned being dragged behind a car. nyahnyah.gif

Actually, toss one end over a lamp post, Gecko Tip a noose to the end, and you don't even need a horse or tree to get the job done.
Angelone
That's what I was talking about, hanging a mofo. You could also use it as a leash for your juggernaught.
Socinus
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 2 2011, 08:26 AM) *
Mostly trying to come up with good situations for a winch. I'm thinking of adding it to my toyota gopher.

I look at that the same way I looked at a 4 1/2 foot long adjustable wrench and 6 foot long pry-bar in the hardware store; buy it because you may not need it at that moment but if and when you do need it, you'll be thankful you have it.
hyzmarca
Get a high-tech electronic winch that secretly houses a sapient AI. Then demand that it serve you mead.

And after that stops being funny (or it kills you horribly) the best uses are the practical ones. If your truck gets stuck in the mud you can pull it out. If you're faced with pesky dsecurity doors and you can rip them off their hinges.

CanRay
If on a ship, dangle that informant above those hungry awakened sharks after dropping some blood in the water.

Who wants num-nums?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 2 2011, 08:46 AM) *
I made a char recently who has an enhanced winch attached to an Fed-Boeing Kull, it's meant to be used to lower the Kull's cargo (boom-boom biggrin.gif) but I don't see a reason it couldn't be used to lift something else up....

Actually, would this work? What I've completely failed to imply is using the winch to grab a person and fly away.
CanRay
The most recent Batman movie showed an old CIA trick for grabbing people out of hostile environments without landing. A winch would be perfect for that.
Xahn Borealis
How do you make the winch actually grab them, though? It may have a gecko patch, but what if you miss? You're basically trying to swing a long cable to hit a relatively small target, and there may be wind and other problems for flyers.
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 5 2011, 09:15 PM) *
How do you make the winch actually grab them, though? It may have a gecko patch, but what if you miss? You're basically trying to swing a long cable to hit a relatively small target, and there may be wind and other problems for flyers.

It's got a hook. I wish I could remember the name of the program... Google and Wiki to the rescue: Fulton surface-to-air recovery system.

A self-inflating and illuminating balloon with a huge ring hovers in the air as a airplane flies by, the hook of the winch grabbing it, and reeling it in.
Xahn Borealis
So it's just a bigger target for the hook?
CanRay
Big, flashing target. You could probably do it with encrypted AR in 2070s. It looks like a NERPS advertisement to most people, "Pick up extractee here" to the pilot.

You could probably do it as a fly-by with a helicopter if you don't have to go far.
Xahn Borealis
Could a Kull drone do it? If not, I have to go dig up an old charsheet, and that means another cup of coffee.
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 5 2011, 09:42 PM) *
Could a Kull drone do it? If not, I have to go dig up an old charsheet, and that means another cup of coffee.

Doesn't say what the lifting capability of the Kull is... But for a equipment supply drone for LRRPs and such, it should be able to carry a good sized Troll with no problem.

One thing that the vehicle stats do lack... *Seethe*
Xahn Borealis
How about a dryad and 25 kg of C12?
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 5 2011, 09:56 PM) *
How about a dryad and 25 kg of C12?

*Headdesk* Do I even want to guess? If I were the GM, I'd rule that was possible, sure. The Dryad and the C12 probably weigh in less than a Troll would.
Xahn Borealis
It's ok, it's the the dryad's C12.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012