Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Background count and Mana Static
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
I already asked it in the other currently running topic, but the question seems to be too important so i open a own thread for it:

...your proposal brings up another question. Image you step in a BC of 3, and you have magic 6. Now you want to use the mana-static spell. To make it working you have to cast it at a force so high, that your effect is higher than the BC around you. So you cast a level 6 spell (your max. force at this moment), that is reduced to 3 (which would be useless) with a 3-force-points higher drain that is even physical (and i remember that the drain was even in optimal conditions nasty)....makes no sense to me. Only high-power initates could make this spell work. Or did i miss something again?

Comments?
Elfenlied
Use Cleansing metamagic before you actually cast mana static?
Machiavelli
Imagine you donīt have it. ^^ Be crative.^^
Yerameyahu
Sometimes, you're just out of luck. BC 3 is bad news. smile.gif
Elfenlied
Well, depending on the location and the available timeframe, I'd probably pay a mage contact to do it.

Failing that, overcasting with edge and spirit assistance should do the trick. The payment better be worth it though.
Stahlseele
Cast from outside into the BGC?
Fortinbras
Find the thing that is creating the Background Count and make it not exist.
Or, you know, you can always overcast that Mana-Static spell.
Machiavelli
Force 6 would aready be overcasted.
Summerstorm
If there already is a background count... why do you need even MORE of it? To shut off somebody off his power in his own domain? Eh, that is what cleansing is for.
Machiavelli
IF you have cleansing. I donīt have it. ^^ Doesnīt it also takes more time than making a spell permanent?
Fortinbras
Find some big bad to come in and make the area an aspected background count for something else. For instance, if the BC is aspected towards toxic shamans, see if you can get a group of blood mages to start sacrificing people nearby. Maybe a metaplaner quest to get some great spirit to set up shop and make a BC of his own there? Cast your spell outside the zone and move it into the zone you want. Summon a high level Spirit of Man outside the BC and have it cast the Mana Static spell inside of it. Change your tradition to that of the aspected BC so it gives you a bonus. Hire someone with the same tradition as the BC to cast the spell for you.

Just off the top of my head.
Summerstorm
Nah... 1 complex action per point cleansed. (But yeah, depending on what your gm says some domains are resistand to cleansing) - I for one hold this metamagic as completely overpowered for low BC's... but it is pretty much useless against high-rated ones.

And EDIT:

Moving the sustained version (before it is "permanent") into a BC might work. But it still will lose power. So you have to overcast it still though. (and has a smaller radius like like cleansing)
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Apr 4 2011, 03:45 PM) *
see if you can get a group of blood mages to start sacrificing people nearby.

"Hey guys, you doing anything this weekend?"
Machiavelli
Nah, i think they donīt care where they chop hearts out.^^
Hamsnibit
Simply work against the BC with your emotions.
Just make love - lots of!
You see, the BC will be weakened or gone.
BTLs use for incresead emotional sensations are approved.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Apr 7 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Just make love - lots of!

"Hey guys, you doing anything this weekend?" biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
Hmm . . Orgy-Spell . . you get a BGC anyway O.o
Muspellsheimr
It sounds like you are doubling the effects of background count.

Spells originating outside the background count with an effect or target inside have their Force reduced by the background count rating; in this case, you would need to cast at Force 7 or greater to 'overwhelm' the existing background count.

Spells originating inside the background count are not affected. Instead, Drain is increased and the casters Magic attribute is reduced by the background count rating, reducing the maximum Force a spell could be cast at and making it far more dangerous to do so.
Stahlseele
Hmm, so how would this work if you center Mana-Static on yourself?
You need to sustain the spell untill it's permanent. But your magic drops.
And why does the BGC from Mana-Static not affect the Mana-Static spell ITSELF?
Muspellsheimr
The background count is the spell. Why does a fireball not damage itself?

The only requirement to sustain a spell is that you cast the spell and can maintain concentration if I remember correctly. You can continue to sustain a spell even after burning out.
Yerameyahu
Bad example, fireballs have no condition monitor and only exist for an instant. Maybe they *do* damage themselves, that's why they vanish. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012