Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So my Face just crossed both the Triads AND the Yaks...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Loch
So the face in my group has a bit of a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, and this time I fear it may have finally caught up with him.

The group's gunslinger adept was looking for information and thought it prudent to check up with the local Yak bar. Nobody just walks in off the streets and pumps the Yakuza for information, so the underboss there had him perform a favor to earn his trust (closing down the local police substation). The group manages to accomplish this through "legitimate" channels (hacker spoofs an order from HQ telling them they've been discovered, clear out within 24 hours), and the adept goes back to the Yak bar, only this time the face wants to tag along. The Yaks aren't having an unknown party at their table, so they ask him bluntly to leave. The face complies, but not before making several remarks about the Yaks being honorless dogs.

A bit later on, the face decides he should ask the Triads for information instead. First, he mistakenly announces to a Triad contact that he is a member of an opposing Triad faction, looking for information (failed his Etiquette roll there bigtime, no words). Then he goes to the same contact's teahouse front business, and asks for information again. He is told to leave and never come back to this part of town. So what does he do? Why, go back to the van, change his clothes, use his adept powers to change his face, and waltz right back into Triad territory as if nothing had happened.

Only now he realizes the Triad he was talking to had been assensing him the whole time.

Realistically, what can he expect to happen to him?
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Loch @ Apr 6 2011, 01:56 AM) *
Realistically, what can he expect to happen to him?

Realistically, the Mafia is about making money, not wasting resources on people they couldn't be bothered to kill when he was right in front of them.
I honestly don't think the entire Yakuza and Triad are going to hunt down this guy just for being a jerk. They will kill him for being a jerk, but they have better things to do. Frankly, if they didn't feel the need to kill him on the spot, they shouldn't feel the need to track him down.

However, if the "face"(his lack of social tact gets him quotes) wants to do any kind of business with either of those factions again, he had either come up with some sort of serious gift to apologize or be prepared to get shot at. This means there are parts of town where a character simply can not go. That's a pretty decent handicap and should teach the kid a lesson. I say hit him where it counts: The credstick. Make it so that the rest of the team finds goodies in the parts of town he can't show his face.
I would, at the very least, give this cat a couple of points of Notoriety, incurring dice penalties to his main set of skills, social stats.
If you really want to give him some kind of combat because of this, maybe some up and coming Yaks or Triads want to prove their loyalty by taking out this young punk who disrespected their boss, so they take it upon themselves to ice this kid in hopes of scoring some brownie points.

There will probably be tons of people who think your game should now devolve into Runners vs. Yakuza & Triads forever, with the runners fleeing from city to city, constantly trying to change IDs, only to find their foe constantly at their backs. Or folks who think you should just kill the kid outright for making a mistake. I don't think the sin is as serious as that, either on the character's part or on the player's.
Whatever you do, don't let the guy take over your game. That was most likely his goal. Punish him with costly restrictions while the rest of the team flaunts their lack of restrictions. Punish the team slightly so they will encourage him not to try such a move again. Fire some warning shots across his bow, but under no circumstances should you let this become the game.

It's an infraction, not a declaration of war; treat it as such.
whatevs
Thats the problem with using enhancements to assist with social type situations isn't it. You never know who's on to you. I have a shaman that also functions as a face and in situations like the one described by the op, i'm very careful not to use anything that could be construed as disrespectful/deceitful.

To answer your question, i havn't seen a mob movie yet where the guy that no-one likes makes it to the end alive. If the triads didn't make a big deal about it on the spot (seems like he got off a little easy), i could imagine the triads finding a way to involve the pc (vicariously the group) in some kind of situation where they can make a profit at his expense. Maybe by feeding him false info that would cause him to act in the benefit ofthe triads, then setting him
Up to be arrested (or worse).
eyeBliss
Judging from the situation, the consequences should be mostly passive ones. That is to say the offending PC will lose access to information, employement, and have a harder time doing business in Yak or Triad controlled areas. Being insulted won't likely get a hit put out on the guy, but it will make the offended parties more likely to pass along information regarding his whereabouts and activities. One of the things working in a runners favor is data balkanization, and having multiple orginizations that have some sort of active interest in seeing the runners fail makes staying alive that much harder. I would let it play out in subtle ways like the Yak sympathizing door man of a high rise the PCs are staking out tipping off the target or the normally tight lipped populace of a yak controlled area being willing to talk to Lone Star about the PCs activities.
Manunancy
As far as you describe things, he didn't cost anything to the yaks and triads, he merely insulted some low-to-mid level members. That's not in my opinion enough for either to kill him. Though a brand new set of bruises to reinforce a 'never show up your face around there again unless you're crawling on your belly to bring us a fat pile of cash' order is defintively within the possible.

Depending on how his buddies's dealings whith the yaks turned out, they might even get asked to perform the beating : 'You owe us an apology for your moronic partner's behaviour. Teaching him the errors of his ways will be considered an aceptable excuse. Bruise a good lesson into that idiot and send us the vid.'
Tyro
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 6 2011, 08:24 AM) *
As far as you descirbe things, he didn't cost anything to the yaks and triads, he merely insulted some low-to-mid level menbers. That's not in my opinion enough for either to kill him. Though a brand new set of bruises to reinforce a 'never show up your face around there again unless you're crawling on our belly to bring us a fat pile of cash' order is defintively within the possible.

Depending on how his buddies's delaing whith the yaks turned out, they might even get asked to perform the beating : 'You owe us an apology for your moronic partner's behaviour. Teaching him the errors of his ways will be considered an aceptable excuse. Bruise a good lesson into that idiot and send us the vid.'

That sounds about right to me. Seconded.
CanRay
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingerssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

No, I'm not stoned, that's a suggestion. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
...it takes a more of transgression than just bumbling to get the Yaks to go after you, but sometimes seemingly not much.

Our team was hired for a job to cover someone who cooked the books for his company. We decided to hit the bank where he kept the "adjusted" records in a safe deposit box. Basically it was sort of an Italian Job affair during which we looted a most of the other deposit boxes to make it look like a "normal" heist.

Of course, we fenced everything that wasn't useful to us.

...well one of those items happened to be a relic that belonged to the local Oyabun (It turned out later that the ledgers also involved payments to the local Yak family so to was your typical "bend over" affair).

Several evenings later while Leela was on the way home after doing a pyrotechnic show for a rock concert, she was chased down by Yak soldiers who gave her the message that she and her chummers had insulted the Oyabun by taking a keepsake (an old Japanese lantern which was one of the items we sold) which they demanded to be returned to it's owner within 48 hours. If we didn't comply a strike team would be sent after us to send us to our ancestors. At roughly the same time, our hideout (an old junkyard) was also hit by the Yaks who delivered the ultimatum to the characters there.

...well we tried to track the lantern down but it was pretty much impossible to get it back before the deadline. We mulled over a couple strategies but realised fighting them was suicide (we were "lucky" the ones who attacked us were only the "messengers") so it was probably in our best interest to head to greener pastures (the team was based in Denver at the time).

Fortunately later on the first day, we were hired for a mission in the TT, (yeah, real fun), but it was a ticket out as a smuggler flight was arranged. We had learned the Yaks were watching the airport and bus/train stations, and driving out into NAN lands was not a good option. As a "parting gift", Leela booby rigged the yard with her cache of explosives (which included a foot locker worth of plastic explosives, several mines, and a big fuel air bomb in an oil drum).

The downside, we no longer could have dealings with our contacts (save for a Face who was the group contact and more of a team NPC as none of us had the same skillset), had to change our identities, and reestablish ourselves in Seattle's shadow community where went after the Portland job. For Leela, the ID change was the easy part as she underwent a SURGE transformation (which hit while we were on the Portland mission) and she had a couple decent backup IDs she hadn't used yet. Losing all her contacts (most of them grade 2 [SR3]) was very difficult as several of them were able to get the military grade gear (particularly explosives) she needed.

So yes, we survived, but had to start from square one again.

...oh and in checking the news faxes, there was a story about a huge explosion that leveled a salvage yard in Denver shortly after witnesses noticed a number of darkly dressed individuals on motorcycles go in.
Tiralee
Notoriety for certain, ie:"You hear about Runner [Insert Name Here]? Man, how could someone so fraggin' stupid actually get jobs after this?" Let the Character overhar it in bars, etc.

Shunning (Contacts harder to get, etc) also useful. I mean, this bulb was smart enough to dick off both the Yaks and the Triads, what's he do for fun? Crank-calls Azetechnology about ther refrigerator running?

Character should also be randomly attacked by thugs (Stick and shock first:)) until the various factions are happy that the stupid's been beat out of him.

The Player should likewise be beaten at the table, for giving the GM so much rope with which to hang the team.

-Tir
nezumi
QUOTE (Loch @ Apr 6 2011, 02:56 AM) *
The face complies, but not before making several remarks about the Yaks being honorless dogs.

If the Yaks let him walk away, it's because he's not worth the trouble. Currently he has a Black Mark. The Yaks consider him worthless and won't work with him, and if he really pissed them off, they'll pass that on to other people. Give him a penalty when dealing with Yaks or Yak-related businesses. A nasty penalty for a face. If he wants to fix it, he has to swallow his pride, make an apology, and do whatever the Yaks ask of him as proof of his sincerity (although even then, they'll likely never be 'friendly' to him).

So what does he do? Why, go back to the van, change his clothes, use his adept powers to change his face, and waltz right back into Triad territory as if nothing had happened.

Only now he realizes the Triad he was talking to had been assensing him the whole time.

Depends on how relations with the other Triad group are. If they're friendly, the guy will be written off as an ass. Follow the rules above. If the two groups are in conflict, he'll be seen as a troublemaker and possible spy (although not a very good one). So I imagine they'd shoot him, but not bother pursuing.

He isn't costing either group money. He's just making stupid comments. That's fine for the street sam, but this face is burning his livelihood. The only question is, is he loud enough about it for the people he's pissing off to advertise this information (and really burn him).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012