Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beginnings of AR and PAN designs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seriphen
Check out this video created by Corning Glass, and some of the usages of PAN design. Some of this is how I envision the PAN system of Shadowrun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7I...8&vq=medium
Stahlseele
now imagine allways having to clean all of that . .
Raven the Trickster
Not quite PANs, but it's close and damn it's cool... WANT!
Stahlseele
only thing i want is the fotovoltaic glass for the windows.
basically, a window sized adjustable sunglass . .
Xahn Borealis
You're fucked if you lose it. "What does it look like?" "IT'S TRANSPARENT."
Stahlseele
OK, well, the flexible electronics ready glass sheet was pretty cool too . .
That i would want for REAL Glasses . .
Seriphen
I hadn't thought about the cleaning situation, and I agree, I wouldn't want to deal with it. I like the photovoltaic windows, no more need for blinds. As for the PAN stuff, I was just thinking the scene with the clothing designers where she brings in her phone and sets it on the desk and transfers the files to the table, then he transfers the one to the screen. They would all have to be on the same network and subscribed together to do that.
Xahn Borealis
They'll probably be 'self-cleaning'. I'm sure I heard you can get things that do that.
CanRay
I remember when HUDs started to be tested with vehicles... The complaints that poured in that "It was distracting" caused me to seethe in anger.

"Any more distracting than having to look down at a speedo? Or the damned radio?" And now, with GPS units, and other things to distract drivers... *Shakes Head* Cell phones hadn't even become commonplace yet. This was the days of the "Brick Phone".

Xahn is right, I am getting too old...
Raven the Trickster
Next generation NFC (Near Field Communications). Microsoft was doing some experiments with some of this stuff in relation to it's Surface system, but the interface here looks more like something cooked up by Apple or Google, very simple and minimalistic.

Actually, it would more likely be a NFC link to initiate a WiFi or Bluetooth type connection between the devices, because the bandwidth levels in NFC links have been very low to date.

That said I like all of it except for maybe the translucent phone. I don't think I'd like to have people be able to see what I'm looking at from the back of my screen.
CanRay
There's a reason why Sexting is illegal. nyahnyah.gif
Seriphen
I've personally always wanted a true HUD in my car. That would be cool. Or partially on a motorcycle helmet, just so it isn't too cluttered for seeing what is happening in front of you.
Squinky
Glass is my gig, and I wouldn't want all that glass around my home smile.gif

Even though it can be tough stuff, it can be tremendously fragile as well, even the safety glass can just pop sometimes for no reason. I'll pass on housing electronics in it. The windows would be the biggest concern for me. Large windows are dorky expensive now, and lawnmowers and children hate them.

Perhaps a plastic tint style overlay would be better.
CanRay
With all that glass, I'd never be able to throw stones.

Or my Magic 8-Ball.
Abstruse
One of the big problems is going to be people prone to motion sickness. Apparently, AR type stuff really screws them up since the display doesn't move when you move your eyes or head. Basically, if you can't read a book in a car, you're SOL until they come up with something. That's why the glasses accessory for the iPhone has sold abysmally as people even normally not prone to motion sickness reported nausea using the things for more than a few minutes.

If they can get it to work similar to the way the AR apps on the iPhone work (where the tags move with the phone), it might help. But possibly enough because the display would only move with the glasses rather than the eyes. Until they can get that to work, it's going to be a hard sell.
Seerow
I'd personally love to have one of those tables as a gaming table.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Apr 7 2011, 01:17 AM) *
the glasses accessory for the iPhone

The what now? Link?
CanRay
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 6 2011, 07:37 PM) *

Quoted for Truth.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Apr 7 2011, 12:21 AM) *
Next generation NFC (Near Field Communications). Microsoft was doing some experiments with some of this stuff in relation to it's Surface system, but the interface here looks more like something cooked up by Apple or Google, very simple and minimalistic.

Because it is fully designed without any worry about the computing power, battery, connections and such?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 7 2011, 12:20 AM) *
I remember when HUDs started to be tested with vehicles... The complaints that poured in that "It was distracting" caused me to seethe in anger.

Funny, as the HUD in fighter jets are specifically there so the pilot is not distracted from the combat situation by the continual checking of cockpit gauges.

Reminds me of computer interface discussions where people will use anything but "unfamiliar" when that is exactly the problem.
Pepsi Jedi
People should remember that when they say "Glass" they don't mean the same stuff you drink ice tea out of or roll up or down in your car door. It's more like those glass top stoves that we have out now. That stuff is wicked strong. Or "Glass" more like "Plastic" Like the roll up computer they had or the plastic E-Paper. (( YES PLEASE!!))

i for one look forward to a world like that. My only complaint is that the commercial is a bit too 'clean' and by clean i don't mean dirt. I mean everything is uniform color and nice and pleasent.

Hell even Shadowrun shows us that wouldn't happen. They talk about how you have to turn off most of your AR or put up heavy filters just to walk down the street or you'd be overwhelmed from all the crap beamign to you all at once. I imagine in a world like the one in the commercial it'd be the same way. LoL

but yeah. Gimme the seamless data transfer from my Ipad to my Ipod to my desk top, to my DESK, to my fridge to my car, to the buss stop to the store. I'll take that, YESTERDAY. (( it's not FAR off now.. but it's a few steps removed. I say.. remove those steps))
hobgoblin
No honking way that big media would allow that. In their view each transfer is a copy, and copies needs to be licensed!
Pepsi Jedi
Eh... DRM and it's offshoots are dieing a slow painful death. I can't wait for them to be gone myself. Noone really wants it any more and those fighting for it are just making enemies. Give it 20 years. People will laugh at the concept.
Xahn Borealis
I reckon privacy's going the same way. I don't mind, but many people don't realise anyone can see what they post on the internet. *shakes head*
CanadianWolverine
Aww, look at all the happy corp slaves, the don't even realize that the recording devices that make those apps possible like the transfer talking to the elderly corp slave would make for some really invasive apps possible. Spam would probably be a capital crime but hard as hell to convict on as proxy zombies hidden within trojan transfers would be spread across the regional network like wild fire. Their arcology is so cute!
tete
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 7 2011, 12:37 AM) *

You mean like these
http://www.robotviking.com/2009/10/23/micr...e-gaming-table/

http://www.purplepawn.com/2010/07/diy-surface-game-table/

KCKitsune
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 7 2011, 08:38 AM) *
I reckon privacy's going the same way. I don't mind, but many people don't realise anyone can see what they post on the internet. *shakes head*

This is the reason I only use my real name for one email address, and I only use that email address for official correspondence. Hell, I don't even use it when I email my family! I use a handle.

I have a Facebook account, but post so little in there that you would think that I'm some sort of hermit, or I am the singularly most boring person on the planet.

Finally, in this day and age of computer crackers and scam artists, if you don't have some sort of Life Lock (or something very much like it) account, then you are really asking for it.
Xahn Borealis
I actually use my real name everywhere and post my email address for all to see. I can fully accept that anything that I put on the internet can be seen by everyone, so I embrace it. I have no secrets online. The only problem is I'm just not that interesting, apparently. sleepy.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seriphen @ Apr 6 2011, 02:29 PM) *
Check out this video created by Corning Glass, and some of the usages of PAN design. Some of this is how I envision the PAN system of Shadowrun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7I...8&vq=medium

I like it, can't wait... wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012