Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elf posers come early
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ogrebear
Seems the spike babies are already influencing the world- Elf posers come early!!

Elf Posers!
Yerameyahu
This is actually a pretty old 'news' story, too. They've been around for a long time. frown.gif
Stahlseele
people are dumb. deal with it.
Yerameyahu
He is, by making a thread that points it out. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2011, 07:23 AM) *
people are dumb. deal with it.

My tear-stained corner proves I can't deal with the stupid any longer. It is branded into my very soul!!!
Pepsi Jedi
I don't see why people are freaking out. How many people do you see with pierced ears? Hell, I saw some 55 year old grand mother with booger bling the other day at arbys (( nose piercing)) I am one of the last people I know that does NOT have a tattoo (( and I'm getting one in June. Already on the book. The artist is that in demand)). How are elf ear mods' any different? It's just another thing. Doesn't make them 'Dumb' or 'stupid' other than the people with pierced ears, noses, lips, eyebrows, belly buttons, tongues, penises, labia. ect ect ect. Just different strokes. I say bring on the elf ears. But only on ladies. *nods sagely* I don't need the competition from other guys. lol
Yerameyahu
Not that I care, but this isn't a piercing. It's an elf-ening. That's different.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 9 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Not that I care, but this isn't a piercing. It's an elf-ening. That's different.

Yeah.. One's punching a HOLE through part of your body and sticking a bit of metal through it, a place like an ear.

The other is making a slit at the top of an ear and Throwing a stitch or two into it so it heals in a point.

The difference is very minimal.

Tattooing is taking ink and putting it on a needle and thrusting it into the flesh 100s to 1000s to 10,000s of times.

*shrugs* I don't see a huge difference in terms of level of intensity.
Yerameyahu
No one said anything about intensity. A piercing isn't an attempt to be more like a mythical race. An elf-ening *is*. I just explained that. What it *is* like is getting vampire teeth, or dyeing your skin (permanently) blue like Avatar, etc.
Pepsi Jedi
Naaa it's just body modification. I don't think most of those people are like' YEAH I'm AN ELF! MUAHAHAHHAAH" They're just like "Hey I'd like to do this to my body because I like the way it looks".

Not for nothing, but going 'It's an elf thing' isn't explaining it. Any more than "That guy's got alot of piercings' explains piercings. lol
Yerameyahu
I think it's pretty clear. There's 'just modification' and there's 'posing'. It's true in the SR setting, and it's true now. They're different. Not better/worse, whatever, but clearly distinct in this sense.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 9 2011, 03:35 PM) *
I think it's pretty clear. There's 'just modification' and there's 'posing'. It's true in the SR setting, and it's true now. They're different. Not better/worse, whatever, but clearly distinct in this sense.

I don't think so at all. I've known some pretty serious body mod people and none of them thought they were a different species. They just do it for personal reasons. They like how it looks. I'm sure there's a few freaks out there that think they're elves born in human bodies, but there's a few people that dress up in furry animal costumes to have sex too. Doesn't mean every person you see in costume is that sort of guy or gal.
Yerameyahu
None of that is what I said. smile.gif I said that posing is distinct from simple ornamentation. I didn't say that everyone with elf ears is posing, or identifies as an elf. Earrings, on the other hand, *can't* be posing; elf-ening can.
Hamsnibit
Well guys - and here we see the reason why elf poser is in fact a negative quality.
Anyways these people are in fact really intelligent - by taking the negative quality they gain their 10 Karma for it and buy active or knowledge skills.
Dont judge this behavior prematurely.
Stahlseele
Flaws taken in game don't give anything and still cost karma to buy off as normal.
Also, Ork-Posers last longer. For the obvious Pun on the Thread title.
pbangarth
Sorry, the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was premature ejaculation. Mind in the gutter, I guess.
Yerameyahu
Too late, Stahlseele apparently came before you. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
Guys. Guys. Guys. And gals. Elf ears are really not that interesting.

I mean, really.
The Dragon Girl
I don't see the big? I've been planning to get my ears tipped for years, soon as I can get over to phoenix, since Stalking Cat's body modder works out of there and I got the recommendation from him. I don't think -anyone- who gets their ears tipped actually wants to be/thinks they're an elf.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 10 2011, 12:19 AM) *
I don't see the big? I've been planning to get my ears tipped for years, soon as I can get over to phoenix, since Stalking Cat's body modder works out of there and I got the recommendation from him. I don't think -anyone- who gets their ears tipped actually wants to be/thinks they're an elf.

Word!
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 10 2011, 12:19 AM) *

Word!
The Dragon Girl
Granted I already have three tattoos (one of them is a partial, and will be a full sleeve when its done) and seven piercings, so maybe you have to be into it to understand? ymmv
Pepsi Jedi
I've got an appointment to get this

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/R...0/Mactat111.jpg

On my inner right forearm on June 29th.
Ogrebear
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 10 2011, 06:12 AM) *
Guys. Guys. Guys. And gals. Elf ears are really not that interesting.

I mean, really.

Did he roll good or bad on the SURGE table??
Tyro
Stalking Cat is amazing. I wish I'd gotten around to visiting the Whidby Island furry house parties back when he lived there. I'd love to get my ears tipped (for aesthetics; I'm not a big fan of elves, actually), but it sounds like I should wait until it's safer with more reliable results. I don't have the money right now anyway, and I have higher priorities (mostly survival-oriented; this economy is especially hard on people collecting disability).
Tiralee
"That's not how you spell Uvula"

"It's not "Uvula""

-Tir
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 9 2011, 01:41 PM) *
How are elf ear mods' any different?

With ear/nose/<where ever the hell you want it> piercing, you can REMOVE the metal and appear normal. Think about going into a job interview with elf ears. I mean really, someone is going to hire you?

Pepsi, you can cover up your tattoo, but elf ears... not so easy.
The Dragon Girl
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 10 2011, 02:44 PM) *
With ear/nose/<where ever the hell you want it> piercing, you can REMOVE the metal and appear normal. Think about going into a job interview with elf ears. I mean really, someone is going to hire you?

I don't know about that- theres a link up there of Stalking Cat's mods, and people hire -him- all the time. It really depends on what field you're in, where you're applying to, and how good you are.

Plus pointy ears are one of the more subtle mods you can get, and easily covered up with hair. Tongue splitting now.. that one is hard to hide.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 10 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Sure you can. Pretty much any hairstyle that's not buzzed on the side can be used to cover the tops of your ears. And even if not. after they heal, you can always claim you were born that way. My wife has one ear that naturally comes to some what of a point (( not as dramatic as the crafted ones but more a point than a curve)). Elf ears wouldn't stop you from getting jobs.

The people I chuckle about are the ones that get stuff tattooed on like, the front of their throats. Ugg. those make me wince just to look at. Or face tattoos. But those are becoming more common as well. I don't mind face tattoos but I could see face tattoos making it harder to get hired (( depending on what you get))

For ME.. (( and this is just Me)) but BOOGER BLING really makes me go "Yuck" all these people with nose piercings. I keep seeing like old ladys with them or fugly people with bits of metal sticking through their nose. That just makes me go yuck. I know they're much more common now and pretty accepted socially but that's the current body mod that turns me off. Lip rings, fine. ears, fine. Eyebrows.. eh.. ok... but booger bling makes me shake my head.

but I'm not arguing that pointed ears aren't body mods. They are. I just don't think the people getting it done are walking around looking people in the eye and going "I'm an elf."

Tongue splitting is pretty yucky (( for me)) too. But I'm not sure how much it shows just in casual conversation. I've never actually met someone with it and talked to them a while. I know many people with tongue piercings that don't show in everyday interaction.
Tyro
I used to know someone with a septum piercing who went to Renfaires with a foot-long African porcupine quill through her nose ^_^

Elf ears are very easy to hide. My hair comes to mid-back - there are many, MANY hairstyles I could sport which would do the job.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 04:38 PM) *
I used to know someone with a septum piercing who went to Renfaires with a foot-long African porcupine quill through her nose ^_^

See, that's awesome.
Tyro
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 10 2011, 09:07 PM) *
See, that's awesome.

Especially with the V-neck black leather dress and crossed jeweled daggers ^_^
Oh, and the buzzed mohawk biggrin.gif
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 9 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Yes, this is a big difference, but not in a bad way.
Elves are often called "fair folk" in literature, and almost always are "fair folk" in any representation. All in all, elves are supposed to be the ideal for beauty that humans strive for, and so the ears are a natural progression from there. Even if elves aren't the ideal, there are plenty of people who think elves are damn sexy, and the ears are the only part of the elf look that can never come naturally.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 12 2011, 08:26 AM) *
...and the ears are the only part of the elf look that can never come naturally.

That's one opinion. I, on the other hand, am preparing for the Awakening nyahnyah.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Apr 12 2011, 06:43 AM) *
That's one opinion. I, on the other hand, am preparing for the Awakening nyahnyah.gif

While it may be so. Your only hope is to Goblinize now smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Apr 12 2011, 09:56 AM) *
While it may be so. Your only hope is to Goblinize now smile.gif

I'll try to pass on that, thanks. I already practically had to learn how to walk again once in my life...
The Shuhite
I just noticed this on the comment thread for the article in the OP

This is very interesting - people who want pointed ears because I was born with pointy ears and was made fun of as a child so I hated them and always hid them behind my hair. I now have a newborn who ended up with the same pointy ears and who is going through a procedure to make them more round. Fortunately, my newborn is not going through surgical procedure, but a procedure to reshape her cartilage without surgery. I did not want my child to go through the same ridicule that I went through as a child.Kuddos to those people who want pointy ears - I never dreamed that this would be the case.

Do you think we have a spike baby here?
Tyro
QUOTE (The Shuhite @ Apr 12 2011, 08:55 AM) *
I just noticed this on the comment thread for the article in the OP

Do you think we have a spike baby here?

My paternal grandfather has one pointed ear, one round. What would you call that?
Faraday
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 11:52 AM) *
My paternal grandfather has one pointed ear, one round. What would you call that?

Phenotypic anomaly?
Tyro
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 12 2011, 12:57 PM) *
Phenotypic anomaly?

Sure, bring logic and real-world science into it nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 12 2011, 07:57 PM) *
Phenotypic anomaly?

A half-elf.

spin.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 12 2011, 05:06 PM) *
A half-elf.

spin.gif

Bazinga!
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 03:52 PM) *

My wife has one pointed and one round.
CanRay
My Grandfather was nearly six feet tall (Very tall for his generation.), and had pointed ears. He was also charismatic as hell, from what I hear.

And that part of my family comes from Celtic roots.
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 05:18 PM) *
My Grandfather was nearly six feet tall (Very tall for his generation.), and had pointed ears. He was also charismatic as hell, from what I hear.

And that part of my family comes from Celtic roots.

Do you take after him?
CanRay
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Do you take after him?

In some ways, not the pointed ears, however.

But, honestly, from my posts here, can you even think about calling me Charismatic in any way?
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 05:50 PM) *

But, honestly, from my posts here, can you even think about calling me Charismatic in any way?

More blunt. Not suppressed-rage Ork blunt, but definitely not stereotypical Elf.
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Charisma tends to belong in the eye of the beholder. I'm told that I am very charismatic by some, while others barely notice.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 12 2011, 07:51 PM) *
More blunt. Not suppressed-rage Ork blunt, but definitely not stereotypical Elf.

Well, there are blunt, jerk elves. nyahnyah.gif

As a Canuck, I'm an asshole. As an Ontarian, I'm only a little worse than normal. wink.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 05:57 PM) *
Well, there are blunt, jerk elves. nyahnyah.gif

As a Canuck, I'm an asshole. As an Ontarian, I'm only a little worse than normal. wink.gif

Around here, Canadians have a reputation for politeness. Are Americans just bigger assholes, so Canadians come off as relatively more polite?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012