Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumping
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pax
I'm trying to figure out how to make a character with the ability to execute vertical jumps in excess of five meters to better recreate really dramatic fight scenes and/or stunts like leaping between rooftops, etc.

Without using the levitate spell, what approaches have you all taken with regards to this if any? Are there any combinations for insane jumping abilities that anyone out here has used in the past?
Ramorta
I would probably start with the adept power Great Leap. Some wall running could be thrown in there for interesting results.
Critias
Adept with the appropriate powers, or someone with cyberlegs and hydraulics. Or, y'know, both at the same time if you really want.
Critias
Adept with the appropriate powers, or someone with cyberlegs and hydraulics. Or, y'know, both at the same time if you really want.
Squinky
Simply put: Hydraulic jacks.
Makki
adept in a military armor. Great Leap power and Hydrauilc Jacks.

I have an additional question: If an adept makes a Wallrun and trys to jump at the end of his x meters, does he roll a running jump or a vertical jump?
Tyro
A focus-sustained Levitate spell and enough acting/flying ability to make it look like jumping

QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 10 2011, 08:20 PM) *
<snip>
I have an additional question: If an adept makes a Wallrun and trys to jump at the end of his x meters, does he roll a running jump or a vertical jump?

I'd call it a running jump.
Caadium
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 10 2011, 07:50 PM) *

Kaptain Kangaroo is a character I originally created when Man & Machine was first released. The Raptor Legs (as they were known then) inspired me to make a great leaper with those, hydraulic jacks, and a balance tail. I only get to play if I GM though, and I never got to use Kaptain Kangaroo.

Fast Forward a number of years, I finally convert over to SR4, and Kaptain Kangaroo got a remake. This time, instead of Cyber, a SURGE adept made the most sense. The legs and tail are standard SURGE, but there is no hydraulic jack. A player of mine that has worked as my Co-GM in the past, and who is now running occasionally, worked with me to add a SURGE quality that was based on the jack. I don't have the details in front of me, but I think it was a 5 point quality for the equivalent of a rating 5 jack.

You pretty much have to go at least Ork, probably Troll. When you add it all up you get a character with real hops.
ggodo
QUOTE (Caadium @ Apr 11 2011, 01:46 AM) *
Kaptain Kangaroo is a character I originally created when Man & Machine was first released. The Raptor Legs (as they were known then) inspired me to make a great leaper with those, hydraulic jacks, and a balance tail. I only get to play if I GM though, and I never got to use Kaptain Kangaroo.

Fast Forward a number of years, I finally convert over to SR4, and Kaptain Kangaroo got a remake. This time, instead of Cyber, a SURGE adept made the most sense. The legs and tail are standard SURGE, but there is no hydraulic jack. A player of mine that has worked as my Co-GM in the past, and who is now running occasionally, worked with me to add a SURGE quality that was based on the jack. I don't have the details in front of me, but I think it was a 5 point quality for the equivalent of a rating 5 jack.

You pretty much have to go at least Ork, probably Troll. When you add it all up you get a character with real hops.

I would love to see the stats on that if you could. I'm truly fascinated by how you can make this monstrosity. He's like the Binky of the air.
Caadium
QUOTE (ggodo @ Apr 11 2011, 01:00 AM) *
I would love to see the stats on that if you could. I'm truly fascinated by how you can make this monstrosity. He's like the Binky of the air.

This was meant to be a gimick character inspired by the Kid Stealth Legs (typed the new name earlier). After the SURGE someone got him into professional wrestling, but the shine wore off and he quickly wound up on the streets, hence he ran the shadows.

I didn't have the original sheet, but here is a quick remake that is close. A couple of things to keep in mind, with my group we generally play starting characters with dice pools in the 12ish range for their strong areas, again, this is a total gimmick character concept. Also, at our table 400 bp characters get 8 free bp to spend on contacts, this is not included in the outline below:

Ork (20 bp)

Stats (200 bp)
Body 7
Agility 5 (7)
Reaction 3
Strength 7
Charisma 3
Intuition 3
Logic 2
Willpower 3

Special stats (50 bp)
Edge 2
Magic 5 (4 after essence loss)
Essence 5.0

Active Skills (106 bp)
Gymnastics: Leaping 6 +2
Unarmed Combat: Kickboxing 4 +2
Influence Group 2
Climbing 1
Running 1
Pilot Groundcraft 1
Palming 2
Intimidation 2
Perception 2
Dodge: Ranged 1 +2

Qualities (+1 bp)
Adept -5
Class 3 SURGE -20 (base -15, with -5 more for extra mutagenic qualities)
*Celerity -5
*Balance Receptor -5
*Elongated Limbs -5
*Functional Tail: Balance -5
*Kangaroo Legs -15 (Satyr Legs -10 and equivalent of level 5 Hydraulic jack for additional -5)
*Extravagant Eyes +5
*Impaired Logic +5
*Unusual Hair +5 (kangaroo style fur/pelt)
In Debt: 30k +30
Distinctive Style +5
Martial Arts +9 (Kickboxing +1 Damage, Kick Maneuver, Finishing Move Maneuver)

Cyber/Bio (total 64k)
Muscle Toner 2
Platelet Factories
Trauma Damper
Level 3 Ears (Could do eyes, but ears for the kangaroo flavor here)
*Biomonitor
*Damper
*Select Sound Filter 4
*Spatial Recognizer
*Increased Sensitivity
*Audio Enhancers 3

Adept Powers
Great Leap 4
Free fall 4
Improved Ability Gymnastics 3
Attribute Boost Agility 1
Killing Hands
Critical Strike 2

Resources (13 bp spent with 1,000 nuyen left)

Remaining bp for more resources, contacts, or possible edge: 12

Now, here is how I figure things: Leaping 8 + Agility 7 + Great Leap 4 + Improved Ability Gymnastics 3 + Kangaroo legs 6 (2 for Satyr element, 4 for hydrojack element) + Attribute Boost Agility (with 5 dice, lets call it 2 average) = 30 dice to jump
Max of 8 meters Vertical, 22 Standing Horizontal, and 36 Running Horizontal.

Other side affect: This character has a walk/run of 20/50. With this speed, I suppose you could take out the Pilot Ground craft and increase running a little bit and he could get around fast enough on his own 2 feet. That is a walk speed of 24 Km/h or almost 15 mph. You could also jog at 110 km/h or about 37 mph taking 1 stun damage from fatigue roughly every 20 minutes.

Wall walking was never part of my concept, but you can see how easy it would be to add in.
Stahlseele
Reminds me of the RIPPERS from Tank Girl . .
Caadium
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 11 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Reminds me of the RIPPERS from Tank Girl . .

I hadn't thought of it, but that is where the idea did wind up going once SURGE was part of it. Originally it was all cyber pink-mohawk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012