Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly Crispy Medic Mage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK, I said I was going to post my one character, but I forgot my thumb drive so couldn't do it yesterday. Here he is.

*EDIT* I dropped the Etiquette skill down a point, dropped Infiltration a point (I've got Improved Invisibility to help in the times I really need to be stealthy), dropped the Specialization for Summoning and took First Aid 2 and specialized with Combat Wounds.

*EDIT 2* I took Bodak's suggestion and took Sterilize. It replaces Stunball

Michael Ravenwood "Compass"

Role: Combat Medic Mage

Attributes = 160 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Spells = 24 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Positive Qualities = 35 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Negative Qualities = -35 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Skills = 110 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Gear = 50 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Important dice pools: (Thanks Makki for the idea)
Spells (other than Health): Magic 3 + Skill 5 + Focus 2 = 10
Health Spells: Magic 3 +Skill 7 + Focus 2= 12
Counterspelling: Magic 3 + Skill 4 = 7
Drain: Log 4 + Will 4= 8 (has 10 dice for Cure Disease)

Perception Checks: Skill 2 + Intuition 3 + Cyber Enhancements 2 = 7 (10 dice for Scent Perception Checks)
First Aid: Skill 2 + Log 4 + Medkit 6= 12 (14 for a combat wound)
Pistols & Heavy Weapons: Skill 1 + Smart 2 + Agi 3= 6 (8 for semi-auto pistols & grenade launchers))
Unarmed: Skill 3 + Agi 3 = 6 (8 if he's using his shock hand)

I used the spoiler tags so that I didn't have a whole wall of text. I know that this is not an optimal build, but I think that it would be a... passable character.
Bodak
No First Aid(Combat wounds) on a Medic?
ggodo
That confused me too, maybe he relies purely on magic for medicking? I don't know.
CanRay
MedKits don't have Drain Values. nyahnyah.gif
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2011, 05:56 PM) *
MedKits don't have Drain Values. nyahnyah.gif

That's what I was thinking.
Seerow
Can you use First Aid and Heal together?

I know that First Aid can't be used on a wound that's been healed magically, but I haven't been able to see anything that prevents you from using Heal on a wound that's been healed with a first aid kid.
Makki
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 14 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Can you use First Aid and Heal together?

I know that First Aid can't be used on a wound that's been healed magically, but I haven't been able to see anything that prevents you from using Heal on a wound that's been healed with a first aid kid.

That's how you do it. I'll add my Medic Mystic Adept soon.
CanRay
First Aid, then Heal. Perfect combo.
Makki
My new char, I wrote up yesterday/today. Yamila is an arabic woman, who fled from her home continent, because of the shame she brought to her family by practizing magic, although she was only trying to help...The shadows are her only way to be free, nobody is judging her here. Whe she was young, she was very clumsy, but through her beliefs and her magic she was able to overcome this penalty. She's an asset to every team due to her Healing abilites and her brilliant mind.

Attributes = 250 BP (including Edge and Magic)
[ Spoiler ]

Positive Qualities = 35 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Negative Qualities = -35 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Skills = 92 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers
[ Spoiler ]

Spells = 15 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Gear = 38 BP
[ Spoiler ]

First thing to get is a F4 Sustaining focus, then stuff for the cyberarm. Karmawise, obviously get some specs. Then some technical skills, and if possible upgrade Logic to 7(10).

Important dice pools before mods:
First Aid: Skill 9 + Log 9 + Medkit 6 + Nanites 3 + Pushed 1= 28
Health Spells: Magic 2 +Skill 4 + Focus 3= 9 (11 in case Expert Aspect optional rule is used)
Drain: Log 9 + Will 5= 14 (will need to overcast every spell)
Automatics: Skill 4 + Smart 2 + Agi 9= 15
Unarmed: Skill 3 + Agi 9 + Touch Attack 2= 14
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Makki...

How did you spend 250 BP on Attributes when 200 is the Max for a Normal Starting Character?
Just Curious... wobble.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 14 2011, 05:56 PM) *
Makki...

How did you spend 250 BP on Attributes when 200 is the Max for a Normal Starting Character?
Just Curious... wobble.gif

Doing the math... he actually spent 215. Plus 70 for edge and magic.

Total BP expenditure is 430, so 215 would be just right.
Makki
I edited the BP cost in. You're missing the fact, that I didn't hardmax Logic. Metagenetic Improvement raises the max to 7.
KCKitsune
OK, I can see where everyone is going with their comments. Re-check the character and let me know how you like it. Also thank you everyone for your comments.

Now here are some of my "Design" notes. I wanted a character who might be a little sane in the dice pool department. I wanted Compass to be a survivor of Chicago (hence the rating 4 with Magical threats and a specialization with Insect Spirits)... and the skill with a grenade launcher. grinbig.gif)
Faraday
QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 14 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I edited the BP cost in. You're missing the fact, that I didn't hardmax Logic. Metagenetic Improvement raises the max to 7.

Not used to that crazy stuff from RC. nyahnyah.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 14 2011, 11:06 PM) *
Not used to that crazy stuff from RC. nyahnyah.gif

That stuff is crazy expensive!
Seerow
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 03:07 AM) *
That stuff is crazy expensive!

Is that sarcasm? Surge is way cheaper to raise your attribute than the Exceptional Attribute out of core.

Exceptional Attribute: 20 BP, doesn't give you the stat point, so you have to pay for that separately, so 30 BP.
Surge Metagenetic Improvement: Requires class 2 surge, 10 BP. Gives you the stat. Downside is you have to take a couple extra negative flaws. Of course these are frequently things that won't affect you, like ever, such as impaired attribute (some attribute you don't care about for your character).

I love getting a higher benefit for half the cost, don't you?
Bodak
I always include Sterilise in my spell list. It's good for destroying incriminating evidence, ritual links, keeping FAB at bay, and can help offset the Bad Conditions situational modifier to First Aid, providing you with a sterile environment on demand.
bluedao
What happened to my dumpshock... these don't feel like min maxed characters at all... it's runners companion so they should... but... it almost feels like their rp characters... I think I'm going to go back to one of the troll bow threads, they feel safer.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Bodak @ Apr 15 2011, 01:54 AM) *
I always include Sterilise in my spell list. It's good for destroying incriminating evidence, ritual links, keeping FAB at bay, and can help offset the Bad Conditions situational modifier to First Aid, providing you with a sterile environment on demand.

Thank you for that idea. I really appreciate it.

QUOTE (bluedao @ Apr 15 2011, 05:06 AM) *
What happened to my dumpshock... these don't feel like min maxed characters at all... it's runners companion so they should... but... it almost feels like their rp characters... I think I'm going to go back to one of the troll bow threads, they feel safer.

I tried to have someone who's not... optimized. Yeah I most likely spent way too much on gear, but there you go.

QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 14 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Is that sarcasm? Surge is way cheaper to raise your attribute than the Exceptional Attribute out of core.

Exceptional Attribute: 20 BP, doesn't give you the stat point, so you have to pay for that separately, so 30 BP.
Surge Metagenetic Improvement: Requires class 2 surge, 10 BP. Gives you the stat. Downside is you have to take a couple extra negative flaws. Of course these are frequently things that won't affect you, like ever, such as impaired attribute (some attribute you don't care about for your character).

I love getting a higher benefit for half the cost, don't you?

What I was getting at with Exceptional Attribute is that it is 20 points. There are a lot of things that you can get for 20 points that have an immediate effect. Exceptional Attribute only gives you the possibility to go higher than racial max... by one point.
Faraday
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 02:14 AM) *
What I was getting at with Exceptional Attribute is that it is 20 points. There are a lot of things that you can get for 20 points that have an immediate effect. Exceptional Attribute only gives you the possibility to go higher than racial max... by one point.
The most efficient way to use Exceptional attribute is to soft cap the affected attribute. Basically, it works out to costing 5 more BP than hard maxing your attribute (30 BP vs 25), which isn't too bad. Still a good deal more expensive than Metagenic improvement, of course. A lot of people I know just don't allow SURGE in general. This is only true in BP gen, of course. With karmagen, exceptional attribute just terrible.

This is why I use a house rule that makes exceptional attribute/lucky 5BP/10 karma. You still can only take it once and it costs 25 BP for both your soft AND hard max in this case.
Irion
Exeptional attribute increases your max. aug. Attribute, too.
If you have a mage/medic with improved logic and later on with the genetic improvement you end up with:
Logic 8/12. (But you do not have to go up to 8 if you use spell to get the improvement)

What I do not get about the character is, that he is having some weapon skills but not the biotech group.
This group is very usefull, for a medic.
Makki
QUOTE (bluedao @ Apr 15 2011, 05:06 AM) *

thanks for noticing smile.gif, what It's supposed to be. It's a much bigger challenge to create rp chars. min-maxing is something I can do within one or two commercial break(s). But a dice pool o 28 for a rp char isn't bad after all, is it? wink.gif

But if you feel safer, I can probably put 10 more points into First Aid, making the character completely unplayable. Just for you biggrin.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 15 2011, 06:52 AM) *
The most efficient way to use Exceptional attribute is to soft cap the affected attribute. Basically, it works out to costing 5 more BP than hard maxing your attribute (30 BP vs 25), which isn't too bad. Still a good deal more expensive than Metagenic improvement, of course. A lot of people I know just don't allow SURGE in general. This is only true in BP gen, of course. With karmagen, exceptional attribute just terrible.

It is kinda silly for GMs to blanket denial of SURGE. The thing that GMs should do is enforce a template for a SURGE characters.

Let's take a look at my character. I took the template of descendant of a fox shifter

Positive
  1. Celerity: Stereotype of the swift fox
  2. Bi-Cardiac: This one is a stretch, but I figured that if I have a fast character I want him to run farther.
  3. Vomeronasal Organ: Foxes have a really good sense of smell
  4. Balance Tail: Fox shifters have a tail, a SURGEling based on one would have a tail

Negative
  1. Mood Hair (both his fox ears and his tail will react): Like an animal, my character's mood can be determined by his ears and tail
  2. Impaired (Body) & Impaired (Strength): Fox shifters have reduced stats and therefore a SURGEling based on one should have the same limits.

QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 15 2011, 06:52 AM) *
This is why I use a house rule that makes exceptional attribute/lucky 5BP/10 karma. You still can only take it once and it costs 25 BP for both your soft AND hard max in this case.

Why not make it 25 points so the character will have spend 35 BP to get the new soft max. This way the character won't get penalized twice for the attribute.

QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 15 2011, 07:01 AM) *
What I do not get about the character is, that he is having some weapon skills but not the biotech group.
This group is very usefull, for a medic.

He's a medic, not a surgeon. He is also a combat medic, hence the small skill with hand to hand (if you noticed he has a shock hand), pistols, and grenade launchers. Being a medic, he's not carrying the rifles, but if the feces hits the rotary air circulator, a grenade pistol can do a world of hurt to drones, and a light pistol with SnS can be bad for everyone else. If he can't draw his weapon he has stunbolt as a backup weapon.

For background, I was thinking he was working for DocWagon, but when he SURGEd, he was fired. This is still very rough idea, and may not be final. To that end I'm dropping the Magical Threats knowledge down two points and added insect magic as a specialization. I'm dropping Magical Background down one point adding two points Medical Background with a specialization in Combat Medicine.
Makki
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 10:39 AM) *
It is kinda silly for GMs to blanket denial of SURGE. The thing that GMs should do is enforce a template for a SURGE characters.

It's RAW two have a theme for a SURGE Class III and I would always do that, but it's basically impossible for Class I and II. And some qualities just don't fit into the animal world...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 15 2011, 07:48 AM) *
It's RAW two have a theme for a SURGE Class III and I would always do that, but it's basically impossible for Class I and II. And some qualities just don't fit into the animal world...

I would not say that it is impossible... It can be done. wobble.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 15 2011, 10:48 AM) *

It doesn't have to fit the animal world, but if I were GMing I would enforce a theme for ANY level of SURGE. You have to justify why you took those positive qualities.

Now Makki & Tymeaus, what do you think about my character? Does he come across as someone who might be real in the Shadowrun world? Do the SURGE traits that I took fit the template and are not power gaming? I want this character to be good without being a superman. Yeah, he has weaknesses, but they're not glaring. He has strengths, but they're not overpowering.

I have changed some of the items, so please take another look. I'll be coming up with a background for him, and I'll post that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 08:32 AM) *
It doesn't have to fit the animal world, but if I were GMing I would enforce a theme for ANY level of SURGE. You have to justify why you took those positive qualities.

Now Makki & Tymeaus, what do you think about my character? Does he come across as someone who might be real in the Shadowrun world? Do the SURGE traits that I took fit the template and are not power gaming? I want this character to be good without being a superman. Yeah, he has weaknesses, but they're not glaring. He has strengths, but they're not overpowering.

I have changed some of the items, so please take another look. I'll be coming up with a background for him, and I'll post that.

I actually like it. The Character would fit in pretty well at our table.
Makki
some comments:
-drop the olfactory booster, you already have a super surge nose.
-skills are fine, but drop the specs and buy them with your first karma, way cheaper. put these gained 14 BP into Reaction and one combat skill of your choice.
-for the fox theme. maybe change Mood Hair to Vestigial Tail, I'm not a zoologist, but I imagine foxes don't need it for balance. Get a Balance Receptor instead, or some claws or Keen-Eared.
-look, if you can drop some 'ware to 1 point of essence, most of it doesn't help you that much and can be purchased as handheld gear (Radar)
-maybe drop the R3 agent and invest in a better one later in the game.

otherwise I like it, however obvious surge and other RC stuff won't fit to every table.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 15 2011, 11:38 AM) *
I actually like it. The Character would fit in pretty well at our table.

Thank you Tymeaus.

Oh, by the way, did you get a chance to look at those Psionics rules that I sent you? If so, then please let me know what you think.

QUOTE (Makki @ Apr 15 2011, 11:47 AM) *
some comments:
-drop the olfactory booster, you already have a super surge nose.

the reason I took the Booster is because of the drawbacks of the surge nose. The booster allows me to get rid of the penalties of having the super sniffer, and since it's all internal, no one knows I have a super nose.

Also, there is nothing that says that they don't stack. So I have +5 to perception checks with smells.

-skills are fine, but drop the specs and buy them with your first karma, way cheaper. put these gained 14 BP into Reaction and one combat skill of your choice.

I went with the specializations because other than spell casting and First aid, I don't see Compass upping those skills too much. It's much more cost effective to up the attributes.

-for the fox theme. maybe change Mood Hair to Vestigial Tail, I'm not a zoologist, but I imagine foxes don't need it for balance. Get a Balance Receptor instead, or some claws or Keen-Eared.

I took the balance tail because of his running ability and Parkour skills. It also gives that nice bonus against being knocked down.

-look, if you can drop some 'ware to 1 point of essence, most of it doesn't help you that much and can be purchased as handheld gear (Radar)

This is purely character fluff. I wanted him to have lost both his hands and his lower leg. The justification is that when he was younger he was attacked by devilrats. They thought he was good eating and chewed on him a little bit. The eyes are because it is the only way to overcome drawbacks to casting in the dark. The ears are because I think they are the only way to get a dampener. The RADAR sensor in his hand doesn't take any Essence so that's a "freebie" and it can help with mapping an area or to check some slot for cyberware.

-maybe drop the R3 agent and invest in a better one later in the game.

otherwise I like it, however obvious surge and other RC stuff won't fit to every table.

The R3 agent is for IC for his cyberware. I don't want to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry Hacker tripping through his 'Ware without them thinking "My God, this fucker has some cyber defenses... and he's a Mage! Oh, shit, I better get out of here before the person who set this up shows up and kicks my ass!"

As for SURGE... I think that more GMs would allow SURGE if players thought about a theme when they took SURGE. Otherwise it's just a player's way to go "OMG, I can be UBER for cheap!"

I would like to think that everything other than Bi-cardiac is justified for the template I chose. And the Bi-Cardiac is somewhat justified because he is suppose to be a runner. Before you ask Makki, I didn't take any skill in Running because I have Celerity and Bi-cardiac. I already run faster than a troll and I don't need to make any rolls for it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 10:07 AM) *
Thank you Tymeaus.

Oh, by the way, did you get a chance to look at those Psionics rules that I sent you? If so, then please let me know what you think.

Looked through it and really liked it. Have yet to actually play with it though.
Mardrax
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 07:07 PM) *
I took the balance tail because of his running ability and Parkour skills. It also gives that nice bonus against being knocked down.

Regardless, foxes don't have balance tails. Then again, they're far from vestigial as well. *shrug*
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Apr 15 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Regardless, foxes don't have balance tails. Then again, they're far from vestigial as well. *shrug*

Well, neither do cats. I've seen stub tailed cats and their balance seems just as good as a regular cat.

Either way, there is some justification... and it cost me points rather than returned them to me.
Dahrken
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2011, 07:07 PM) *
The ears are because I think they are the only way to get a dampener.

You can take the dampener as an internal ear modification, the same qay you can take most cybereyes options as a retinal mod. It's not the most Essence -effective option, but it's cheap if you simply want protected senses.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Apr 15 2011, 02:37 PM) *
You can take the dampener as an internal ear modification, the same qay you can take most cybereyes options as a retinal mod. It's not the most Essence -effective option, but it's cheap if you simply want protected senses.

Yeah, you could do that, but for .1 Essence & 500 nuyen.gif more you can stuff a lot more things into them. They also come with soundlink and Ear Recorder unit for free.

Also, I forgot to put up my Contacts. I've edited my first post to add them in.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 15 2011, 02:18 AM) *
First Aid, then Heal. Perfect combo.

Then Stim Patch. And then a wowwypop, because you're SO brave!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012