Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urban Brawl Campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bushw4cker
Has anyone ever run an Urban Brawl Campaign?, I'm looking for ideas especially from anyone that has run a campaign before. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
Xahn Borealis
Not that I've ever run a campaign, but assuming you want your players to play the the actual sport, remember that your average game takes several hours. IC. Imagine running combat for that long in real time.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Apr 24 2011, 04:11 PM) *
Any feedback is appreciated.

Well, you could start learning German. *duck*
MikeKozar
Dusted off my copy of Shadowbeat to pitch in here; best track down a copy if you want the full scoop.

Okay, Urban Brawl Basics: Find an area of wrecked city, mark off a zone about four blocks long by three blocks wide, and treat all the SINless residents to a free hotel for the duration. Assemble two 13-man teams: 4 light ballcarriers with sidearms, 4 medium ballcarriers with sidearms, 2 heavies with Assault Rifles/SMGs/Shotguns, 1 Blaster with a gyromounted LMG, one armed motorcycle, and one medic. Paint a 4-meter circle on either side of the course, and give both teams a ball. When play starts, both teams need to try and carry their ball to the enemy goal in any way they can (except the motorcycle) while stopping the opposition from doing the same. The entire zone is legal, but the play clock is only five minutes and there are penalties for not moving the ball forward quickly enough. Remember, this is a sport that is all about pay-per-view; boring does not survive.

In terms of gameplay, Urban Brawl is kind of solid. Although the full game is 2 hours long, a five-minute play is a doable scenario, with a bit of strategy and tactics to play with. Shadowbeat also talks about how teams will hire Shadowrunners in the 24 hours between the play zone being announced and play commencing; advanced recon of the area could make the difference between victory and defeat, although the Urban Brawl security forces will not hesitate to execute anybody tampering with the game.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Apr 24 2011, 05:53 PM) *

To elaborate:
Blut & Spiele ("Blood & Games") is an up-coming German urban-brawl-themed campaign book.
Stahlseele
*nods*
now we need to pester Pegasus Spiele for one with Combat Biking ^^
Critias
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 25 2011, 03:42 AM) *
To elaborate:
Blut & Spiele ("Blood & Games") is an up-coming German urban-brawl-themed campaign book.

As a quick aside, here on the English-speaking front, it won't quite be a whole campaign book, but there is a "Super Brawl Sunday" CMP adventure listed for Gencon this year. I imagine whoever's writing it will, if they're a long-time Urban Brawl fan, find some way to devote a little word count to a general overview/update on the game instead of just concentrating entirely on a brief adventure and leaving out some of those details.

So while it won't be an entire campaign sourcebook, I imagine the odds are good it will still have some handy information for someone planning on working Urban Brawl into their SR4 game.
Xahn Borealis
Something I've been wondering for a while: What are the chances of anything like Urban Brawl ever being a real sport?

/derail
Bodak
QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Apr 25 2011, 06:00 PM) *
Dusted off my copy of Shadowbeat to pitch in here; best track down a copy if you want the full scoop.
There's also pretty good info at:
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/ubl.htm
http://denver.wikidot.com/info:urbanbrawl
which I found when I was looking into running an Urban Brawl session.

Now I see there is even a Shadowrun4.com play-by-post game with some house-rules for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012