Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moomin
Could this spell be made. As far as I've thought it would be a version of Invisibility, except limited so that the object you cast it on only appears invisible to yourself.

So you'd cast the spell on a door/wall and it would become invisible, but only to you. So you could check for guards behind a door without alerting them (unless they're magic too of course).

So, what do you think, would this work, and if not, why not?
Rev
Seems like that would be a detection spell, not an illusion. In fact, I think it would be Clairvoyance, or a limited version of it. smile.gif

Generally I think it is a good idea to choose the category of a spell based on its general effect, rather than some mechanistic explination.
snowRaven
X-ray vision existed in 2nd edition SR, in Awakenings 2057 - basically it was a detection spell where each success let you see through a certain barrier rating (1 or 2 points of Barrier per success I think...), so with x successes you could see through any non-living barrier with a rating of 6 or lower, but all Barriers higher than that affected vision normally. This spell did count as LOS (!!!) which is why it was removed, I think.

One of my players had an ork mage who used it to see through ppls clothes...
Dissonance
It counted as LOS? You've got to be kidding me. Wow. Between that, and Turn to Goo, and Spell Locks... No wonder Mages were like Ubar L33t in the second edition. Then again, with Firearms as a skill, so were sams.

Everything was Ubar L33t. Figures I came in during 3rd Edition.
Smiley
All that Ubar l33t stuff is well and good, but look at people's stats from 1st and 2nd edition and compare them to 3rd.
Dissonance
Touche.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (snowRaven)
One of my players had an ork mage who used it to see through ppls clothes...

I've found it is dark inside people's clothes.
Dissonance
That it is. Unless you're a glow in the dark smurf. Then it's not so dark.

How about a spell that sucks all the water out of a metahuman?
Kanada Ten
Fireball?
BitBasher
Thats a broadsword vs scalpel approach, but yeah, Fireball does just that! biggrin.gif
Dissonance
Aww, but I wanted to keep their skin intact so I could wear it like a saggy man-kilt....
Smiley
How Buffalo Bill of you.
Large Mike

There's nothing homosexual or serial-killer about a kilt.

Why does the concept of a kilt made of someone else's skin cause me to giggle uncontroleably?
Dissonance
Because you're going to have a troll petro houngan wearing one while he conjures the remnants of an Urban Brawl team to terrorize Tokyo? Because we all know Tokyo has no superheroes.
Smiley
QUOTE (Large Mike)
There's nothing homosexual or serial-killer about a kilt.

Not even a kilt made out of human skin?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012