Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using a Nexus on a run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wolfgar
So, this post was originally about to users simultaneously sharing a commlink. However, a line in Unwired says that since commlinks are standard nodes, they can only have one persona active at a time (pg. 48). So that's why I moved on to this question---

Can three or more users who are on the same node benefit from a Tacnet program? Assuming of course they could provide enough sensor channels and were within signal range, would they still need their own commlinks to subscribe to the nexus?

And for some background, currently when my group is on a run, they all subscribe their crappy commlinks to mine (Response 5, Signal 4, System 5, and Firewall 6) and I run the Tacnet (rating 2) program. Problem is, I have 6 teammates, using 8 out of my 10 subscriptions. Since I want to encrypt this network, I'm looking for other options.

I'm thinking if we have a nexus in the back of the operations van, we can just use our image links and trodes to connect with it, freeing up everyone's commlink and allowing out resident technomancer to spider over the whole operation. Will this work? Thanks for reading.
KarmaInferno
A Nexus is just a Commlink with bigger numbers and a couple of the limiters removed.

The Evo Mobile Terminus is small enough to fit in a medium drone, see Unwired.

So, sure, why not use one if you feel the need to?

As for the TacNet in a Nexus, they follow all the standard TacNet rules. Anything you can do with a TacNet in a Commlink you can also do in a Nexus.

-k
DWC
The image links and trode nets won't have the signal strength to reach back outside the room you're in, let alone all the way back to a vehicle. Any sort of jamming or wireless negation will shut down your entire operation since you won't be able to run decent ECCM on an image link.

Don't get me wrong, nexi have their place, but that place is rarely going to be supporting an actual incursion. They're great for the planning stages of a run when the team is scattered all over town, where the nexus can run encryption for everyone along with being a single collection point for data, but once you're looking to go all ninja, not being EM dark is just begging for trouble.
Yerameyahu
While there's nothing stopping you… why? To share the same node (nexus), they'd basically have to be touching it. Why bother, when you can just slave their commlinks to it? The rules already exist for running a single central tacnet program for the group (you mentioned them in the first post).
Wolfgar
Ahh, I forgot about needing to be within MUTUAL signal range for the image links and trodes to work. Dinky image links can only connect to a node that's right in front of them, or through one via a commlink. So basically the answer is my group will still need to slave their commlinks to something, whether it's the nexus or my own.
Yerameyahu
Theoretically, you can upgrade the Signal of anything, but… why? (And, very expensive on so many widgets.) The commlink-centric PAN is a great system, which is why it's what everyone does. smile.gif

It sounds like you were already doing it perfectly, but you just needed more Subscriptions. The nexus fits that bill (and they're only like laptop-sized, after all).
redwulf25
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 27 2011, 09:31 PM) *
Theoretically, you can upgrade the Signal of anything, but… why? (And, very expensive on so many widgets.) The commlink-centric PAN is a great system, which is why it's what everyone does. smile.gif

It sounds like you were already doing it perfectly, but you just needed more Subscriptions. The nexus fits that bill (and they're only like laptop-sized, after all).

Could have sworn the book said desktop sized.
Yerameyahu
I'd have to check, but I think it says 'laptop- to desktop-sized', so yes. smile.gif Either way, that's small. He's talking about putting it in a van. Found it:
The servers that run nexi come in a wide range of sizes and processor power, from units the size of a modern-day laptop to a full-blown server tower.
Presumably, he'd use the lower end.
Fortinbras
Don't forget that you always have the option to cluster your nodes.
The Jopp
3 guys
3 commlinks
3 laser rangefinders
3 cameras
3 wallspace programs

Now they can all use VR vision to have X ray vision to what the others in the team sees around a corner or in another room.

Add drones to that to get even more detailed information.

Sure, spoofing would be bad for you...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 28 2011, 05:56 AM) *
3 guys
3 commlinks
3 laser rangefinders
3 cameras
3 wallspace programs

Now they can all use VR vision to have X ray vision to what the others in the team sees around a corner or in another room.

Add drones to that to get even more detailed information.

Sure, spoofing would be bad for you...

Wallspace Programs have absolutely no functionality for determining benefits of a tacnet. You need twice the rating in SENSORS/Perceptive Systems to benefit from the Tacnet. So your Three Guys have a +1 due to the RangeFinders and Cameras as you have listed them. To increase functionality, you would need to upgrtade those cameras with additional systems/sophistication.

Of course, a Single, Rating 6 Camera would also cover that, as that would raise the Sensor Rating of a FlySpy to 6; Providing enough Sensor Rating to drive a Rating 3 Tacnet.
Falconer
Actually, have you considered simply running the tacnet on a separate dedicated commlink. Or forming a 2+ commlink cluster which would give you an extra persona and extra set of connections running on the same node... though wouldn't increase the process limit of the clustered node? Maybe better option is to just slave the 2nd commlink to the first using a fiberoptic line... (no jamming, no spoofing!).

Then you only need one subscription to connect to the extra node and guard it. But it does allow for a nice home for an independent agent program running it's own programs as well.

Also in terms of silly thoughts... a 1 man tacnet :P. 1 man carrying 3 iballs...and a smartgun modified w/ a full pilot program (and a sensor rating). 4 drones w/ rating 6 sensors... one guy w/ 6 sense feeds... instant rating 3 tacnet ;P.

Hell forget the iballs... just give pilot upgrade (and enhance the sensor suite) of your main and backup guns :). You know you want an ares alpha with a built in MM wave radar for seeing through things :). (pilot upgrade only takes time and money and no upgrade slots on weapons).

Yerameyahu
The GM should feel free to slap you. smile.gif Besides, if they're all attached to your body, you're hardly getting much 'net' mileage out of it. They should count as sensors for you, the one person; not participants.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012