Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kidnapping Dependents
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Steel Machine
So I am planning on kidnapping a players dependents. He has three children, two girls and one boy, and I have a pretty decent idea of whom is going to take them-I haven't one hundred percent made up my mind yet-and why.

What I would like is a few things from all of you:
  • Have any of you ever run this scenario before, and if so with what sort of results? I am intrested in how the players reacted, and what they did IC.
  • Any tips? I always miss something, and it never hurts to ask.
  • My biggest problem is where to take the kidnapees after I take them. Assuming its a La Costra Nostra operation, and they have the juice and cred to take the victims anywhere, where would you go with them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Shockwave_IIc
To the first one yes i have and the character went ape shit. as i recall after getting the girl back the player secured her and then went back to finnish of the kidnappers that he missed first time round (spent his entire karma pool if i recall, and backed out got healed up by a NPC mage and went out again) Was quite happy to go toe to toe with a titanium laced troll.

Erm taunt the PC, hang the depenants out on a chain so to speak, make blantly obvious that it's a trap rather then a simple blackmail.

But remember to keep them in reach. No good taking them to Europe if the PC's can barely afford to travel from seattle to DC.

But saying that i knew the Player in question would close to die before giving up the chase.

toturi
Make sure your PC isn't of the "shoot the hostage to get him out of the equation" type of guy.

Or offer a million bucks in return for the kidnappers's head instead.
Steel Machine
Thats positive at least. I'm sure we all know that player who'd be like "Well there goes my three point flaw." Luckily I don't think I will have that problem, and its nice to see other people getting along well too!

Black mail versus Trap. Here's where I am in a ringer too.

The players have put a real hurting on local Mob operations in Seattle-they've orcehstrated a number of mock up runs that heavily implicate the local Mob in several Gang Land style hits on the Tongs, Clans, and Rings. As well as hitting Mob suppliers hard. SO far their Johnson has kept them out of hot water, and the MOb's clutches, but there is a small wrinkle.

Technically their Johnson is divided into Two factions. Faction one is very straight forward and honest, wanting only to accomplish the mission. Faction two is a polotical player who wants the PC's to be successful, but only to a point. He owespeople favors, and if that means hanging the PC's out to dry, then he will do it. Especially if he can do it with out their knowledge.

So where I am at is Do Ihave the PC's simply rescue the dependents, or do I kill them? Its a pretty major plot device to permanently kill someone like this, so I am cautious to even think it, but I want whats going to play out the coolest.
Crimson Jack
I had the team's NPC decker kidnapped after he got a little too successful for the group. I needed to slow their information gathering down a bit, so I had SK catch their decker (Slimline - Cajun elf from Lousianna).

This NPC had been around as a regular in the group for a long time. I could nail the accent, and since he was a bit of a loudmouth, everyone liked him. He was an incredible asset to the team too, since none of the players had any desire to play a decker. Best to share part of their profits with him as they kept the information rolling in at a minimal cost.

But when he was taken, the new run became one of getting Slim back. They were deadset on this goal, but just to keep the stakes high and emotions charged... I had the kidnapper mail a cooler to them. Inside were both of Slimline's hands. I thought it might have been a risky move (didn't really want to piss anyone off, but still wanted to make things dire), but it turned out that it was the right amount of pressure to get them on SK's case.

Everyone loved the idea of the run. One done for no money, just karma (which I awarded them a little more than normal due to the circumstances of doing a particularly "good" deed. They were happy when they got Slim back, although I had his demeanor change a bit after having gone through the shock of having his hands chopped off. He was a little more reckless after the encounter. One of my players told me that he had noticed the change in his character after that encounter and thought that it seemed appropriate. *shrugs* smile.gif
Steel Machine
QUOTE (toturi)
Make sure your PC isn't of the "shoot the hostage to get him out of the equation" type of guy.

Or offer a million bucks in return for the kidnappers's head instead.

Yeah, I have pretty much decided they are doing this with out any pay. This will be on their dime-well specifically one players, but I have faith the others will pitch in due to their own close ties with said Players family. (They buy the kids presents, help watch over them, and are generally involved in their family life.)

Any money they make will be a side effect. I want to take the kids out of Seattle and somewhere difficult for them to access, by route of several way points to make the chase difficult.

Sorry if I bounce around here. I am bouncing my ideas off of you guys, so thanks for the help!
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Steel Machine)
I want to take the kids out of Seattle and somewhere difficult for them to access, by route of several way points to make the chase difficult.

I can think of a pretty cool place up here in the Northwest, since I live here. There is a place on the northern Oregon coastline called The Sea Lion Caves. It's a tourist attraction place that includes a restaurant, gift shop, lighthouse, and underground cave/viewing area. The cool thing about this place is that its perched on the side of a very harrowing rocky cliff. Moneying around the outside of it is pretty treacherous due to the wet rocks and strong winds. The interior portion of the viewing area is this long stairwell that leads into the rock wall and then opens up in this natural tidal cave. It's very large inside and fills about 1/3 of the way up during high tide. This, btw, is where you get to see all of those annoying barking sea lions (ugly and stinky by the way).

This would be a great place for a couple of reasons:

1) They're a ways away from Seattle, so the trip there is considerable, especially considering who our southern neighbors are.

2) This kind of place has been in business for a long time, but I imagine that its a good candidate for being 'out of business' by this time.

3) You've got a variety of building interior types to use, including a full on cave, and treacherous cliffs where falling damage most likely equals death (if the fall doesn't kill you, the waves most assuredly will as they smash you into the rocks)

4) You've got a natural timer element. If the kidnappers want to insure that they get their payment for the kids, they can set something up so that they don't tell the runners where the kids are until an hour before the tide comes in. Then, their cohorts can drop the kids in the sea lion section of the cave while they start screaming for help. (Kind of a SpiderMan: The movie scenario - save the kids or MJ?)

5) It's extremely loud there. Not sure if noise has played a role in your games, but the kids nor runners, and possibly not even gunfire would be able to be heard from within that cave. The crashing waves kills almost all other ambient noise... save for the barking slugs (and when there's tons of 'em in there, its insane how loud it is)

6) It's a quirky location... probably something they wouldn't expect...?
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
...their decker (Slimline - Cajun elf from Lousianna)...

Mais non! C'est le decker acadien! Laissez les bon temps rouler! cool.gif rotfl.gif

(Sorry, as a real Cajun, I just couldn't resist.)
Kanada Ten
The characters almost always go ballistic. The players either take it as an affront or roll with it - usually depending on if they can understand why the NPC's did it.

I like Crimson Jack's suggestion; I'll be using that place...

But if its a trap... Let's face it the mob would just put a bomb in her head and be done with it. Stash the girl somewhere easy to get at, but make it look real. When their spotters see the PC's coming, the guards go out for coffee. PC's garb the girl, and ka-boom. Not exactly fair...
nezumi
I've seen it done once. The group had just gone from the high powered campaign to the ganger campaign, and the character in question was used to being a super fast street sam. Decided rather than listen to the guy who had a gun pointed at his son's head, he'd quickdraw him. He lost.

I would tend not to kill them off if you can help it, but keep them in danger (and let them die if the PCs are stupid). Then again, in my games I make it a goal to kill everyone of import eventually, so... *shrug*
broho_pcp
Area of affect cranial bombs are very expensive (500,000 NY), I don't know if it would be worth it to the mob to spend that kind of money. Plus, where would they have the surgery done, etc...

However, normal bombs are cheaper and you could just hide it in a knapsack or something if you want to go the *BOOM* route.
Sunday_Gamer
Just be careful. I once kidnapped one of my players daughter. Sadly, before anything could get anywhere, the mage convinced the sam he was "too close" to this one and so they hired a different team of runners to recover the girl unharmed. Bastards wink.gif

Sunday
Herald of Verjigorm
A whole lot smarter than this.
Seven Deadly SINs
I think just to be safe someone in every runner team should take "Common Sense" as an Edge. Just to prevent becoming one of the Clueless.
Squire
Be very careful about killing the hostages. I'm not saying don't do it, but make sure the PCs have a very fair chance to succeed at rescuing them.

Now if the PCs are dumbasses (like the sammy in the CLUE file posted by Herald), kill the hostages in nasty ways. But if they play things reasonably smart, give them every chance to succeed.

And expect them to go after the kidnappers with everything they've got. I would.
BitBasher
My suggestion is not to do something like this arbitrarily. You need to ask yourself a few things.

1) What does any current enemy have to gain by kidnapping a PC's dependant?

2) Does that NPC have the means and the motivation necessary to make that happen? Is he smart enough to reailstically pull it off?

3) Does he think that this kidnapping will realistically fulfill the goals set in section 1?

4) Will he really release the hostage when it is all over? unless he is a completel moron, he will kill the subjecty anyway even if he gets what he wants, as the odds are MUCH higher that he will be caught if he does.

If you can fulfill thos requirements in a believable manner then go for it. Most of the time in a kidnapping scenario there is no "trtacking down the kidnappers" as you are literally at the mercy of them until some sort of contact is made.

Kidnapping should be a tense, traumatic event that rarely ends in a positive scenario for the victim.

Motive is everything, if you get a motive and a perpetrator I can more easily come up with a viable scenario.
Rev
Nice to have three potential hostages though smile.gif

You can kill one, and have them rescue two.

You could also wound them.

You could have one vanish and leave it ambiguous whether they are alive or dead. Maybe they end up in an orphanage in azatlan (that sounds like a really bad place to be to me) and you get that info to the charachter a few game sessions in some cool and morally vexing way (eg somehow he discovers that his child is at this evil orphanage while working for whoever it is that makes it an evil orphanage).

I think it might be a good idea to take two, leave one to be found alive right at the start, have one rescued, and the other vanish. Have how well they do mostly determine the fate of the middle kid, use the other two for long range campaign planning.
BitBasher
Send one home piece by piece in cigar boxes to "Let em know you're serious" about the other 2. Be a vicious bastard.
Steel Machine
Thanks Bit Basher, I am going to think on those questions for awhile.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
A whole lot smarter than this.

I think if I was a player in this game, I would've stopped my amped up sammy long before it came to pulling guns. It's like these guys play while high on PCP or something... wtf.

Funny though, if not a little scary.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (nezumi)
I've seen it done once. The group had just gone from the high powered campaign to the ganger campaign, and the character in question was used to being a super fast street sam. Decided rather than listen to the guy who had a gun pointed at his son's head, he'd quickdraw him. He lost.

I would tend not to kill them off if you can help it, but keep them in danger (and let them die if the PCs are stupid). Then again, in my games I make it a goal to kill everyone of import eventually, so... *shrug*

it's a free action to quickdraw, as long as you're using the correct holster, right?
Crimson Jack
Simple action to QD a pistol weapon (Conc 4+ IIRC) at target number 4. Add +2 if not in a proper holster.
gknoy
QUOTE (toturi)

I dont' see a problem with this ... as long as they're willing to either roleplay the fallout from shooting their dependent (willpower test, anyone? wink.gif), or think of an alternate scenario -- either way it offers great ways for character growth.
Mr. Woodchuck
another fun thing one of our GMs did was to have a corp VP kill a player's family (in his background) and then for the pC to find out later that the VP was rasing a sister the PC never knew he had. See you can even make up friends and family to steal if the characters don't provide bait of their own.
sidartha
QUOTE (Mr. Woodchuck)
another fun thing one of our GMs did was to have a corp VP kill a player's family (in his background) and then for the pC to find out later that the VP was rasing a sister the PC never knew he had. See you can even make up friends and family to steal if the characters don't provide bait of their own.

Yes but you did that to the wrong PC so it just ended a little bloodier than usual cyber.gif
It seems to me that you want to avoid cliche with this so my suggestion is to either make it (relatively)easy to get the kid(s) back and add twist there, cyber, possesion, ritual link+control action, reprogramming(only use this one if you own CC and know the rules for doing it).
Or. Make it insanely difficult to complete and have the inevitable death turn the campaign where you need it to go like, UB host, Azzie blood sacrifice, Mistuhama magical training program.
If your in a really bad mood make it nessisary for the PC's to kill a kid eek.gif
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
But if its a trap... Let's face it the mob would just put a bomb in her head and be done with it. Stash the girl somewhere easy to get at, but make it look real. When their spotters see the PC's coming, the guards go out for coffee. PC's garb the girl, and ka-boom. Not exactly fair...

Since when did the Mob become kid killing psychos, eh? If it was a trap they'd have assloads of gunmen waiting at the drop point. Cheaper, and not as despicable... well, relativly speaking...
toturi
A player of mine is a big fan of the Isreali eye-for-an-eye tactics and he's a Face type character, so he has loads of contacts.

When I did this (kidnap a loved one/Johnson double cross) the first tme, he had the team snatch the Johnson's kids and when the Johnson called to negotiate the original kidnapping, he simply played a recording of the Johnson's kids. They even arranged for the little girl (psychotropic conditioning) to kill her father after she was released with her brother.

The word went out via the grapevine, never doublecross the PCs.

The second time I tried it (double cross with kidnap), they snatched the consiglieri's BTL addict daughter and sold her to the ghouls and made a sim of her being eaten.

The object lesson was clear. The mafia (and anyone who did biz with them) kept things business like thereafter. Get personal and you won't like it when my crew gets dirty.

I think I'm pretty tough(Airborne wings, Ranger tab and all) but some of the brain damaged muscle bound Commandoes in my gaming group aren't quite human. Sadist isn't quite the word since they don't actually go looking to hurt people. Vengeful don't quite cut it since they go way beyond revenge.
Steel Machine
Remind me not to let my players get ideas from your group.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Simple action to QD a pistol weapon (Conc 4+ IIRC) at target number 4. Add +2 if not in a proper holster.

thanks, I was confused on that.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Mar 25 2004, 03:11 PM)

Since when did the Mob become kid killing psychos, eh? If it was a trap they'd have assloads of gunmen waiting at the drop point. Cheaper, and not as despicable... well, relativly speaking...

You're talking about the people who invented the car bomb... they don't fraggin care who's kid is in ther car with Hoffa... And the area-cortex bomb costing 50,000 is for the cyber version. I'm talking cutting the girl's head open and packing it with plastic, sitching it back up, tossing her on a bed.

Guys with guns surrounding the characters? You watch too many movies wink.gif
Steel Machine
Sorry I guess I picture, from the various descriptions in the games texts, and from movies/history of the Mob, the Moba s being low tech unless it needs to be.

In my own game Guys with guns are cheap. Cortex bombs on kids lacks honor, costs a lot of money, surgey is required, and unless they really had to send a message-well its extreme.

Thats just in my own game.
Beast of Revolutions
Don't forget to have the kidnappers send the PCs a video of their kids being sodomized.
Kanada Ten
...bombs on kids lacks honor...

But kidnapping doesn't? They have to kill the kid somehow -no witnesses. Bombs just eliminate the evidence a little better than bullets.

...costs a lot of money, surgey is required...

You're right, shoving a pipe bomb down her throat or up her <> makes more sense; while she's drugged of course.
broho_pcp
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You're right, shoving a pipe bomb down her throat or up her <> makes more sense; while she's drugged of course.

drugs cost money too... ork.gif
Kanada Ten
drugs cost money too...

Fine, knock her over the head with the pipe. Before you fill it, mind.

I would use a silly icon, but it doesn't seem appropriate. dead.gif
CardboardArmor
Man, you people are horrible.

Ultimately, whatever you do to the dependants should jig with a general idea of how you want the PC in question to react. I mean, sure, everyone will be a little mad that their loved ones got ganked, but most of them probably don't want their kiddies/wifey/etc. geeked. A lot of the kidnapping, ransom, taunting and whatnot should be psychological because that's the whole point of kidnapping in the first place.

Otherwise, the guys in question would just cut out the middle man, narcojet you up, and the next thing you know you got a kink bomb in your spine and a guy holding the detonator telling you what you will do.

Or that's my take on it, anyway.
Frag-o Delux
One of my characters cousins was kidknapped, she was intergeral to a plan I had running and someone thought it would be a good idea to snatch her from me.

Sadly my GM forgot how resourceful this character and I are. I retrieved my cousin in good heal and well the kidknapper and friends will no longer be kidknapping any one. I forget most of the details right now, I would have to check my notes. I do remember I made evryone in the shadows of Seattle what happened and what I would do to anyone that screwed with me or my crew. Tat character is retired now, he runs a small bar, and is pretty much given a wide berth when he walks through town. My Gm and I have agreed that he has always been above the boards in every deal he has made and has always delivered when promised, and for someone to kidknapp his cousin was just wrong. Our games are strange.
Steel Machine
QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
But kidnapping doesn't? They have to kill the kid somehow -no witnesses. Bombs just eliminate the evidence a little better than bullets.

You seem to be taking this a little personally. I am not questioning what happens in your own game, but what happens in mine.

In my own game the Family has a specific set of crimes that they frown upon-that doesn't mean if the pay off is big enough they won't do it. It just means that on the whole the average Family member finds it tasteless.

Sure reality says that they may have to occassion kidnap kids, even kill them-but I guess I just don't see every person in the SR world as eager and willing to kill children.

There are other ways to ensure witnesses aren't eager to talk-and sometimes those can be even more effective than killing. Killing has its place, but wanton destruction is just assinine. It'd create way too much heat.

Now if in your own game its an easy decsion to kill kids, and thats cool with you-then fine. As long as you're having fun who am I to question you? In my own game niether my players nor I see a real need for child killing. It doesn't increase our fun factor, or entertain us particularly.

Oh and bombs leave as much evidence as bullets-only in a different format.
Kanada Ten
You seem to be taking this a little personally.

Not at all, actually. I just like to debate. From this reaction and your previous in the vampire thread, it seems you don't. I'll try to remember that.
Steel Machine
Oh no, sorry to give that impression. I don't mind a little friendly debate-although I admit to chosing which topics I'll play around with. Its hard to judge people here, because of the vast size of DSF, its membership and the sheer size of the forums. Sometimes what I read isn't what the poster meant to imply.

Add in that I barely manage to read one in five topics here-the title tags really draw my eye to what I read-and well its hard for me to know people here. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012