Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tallest Building in Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
What is the tallest building in sixth world. Was reading some older SR books recently and the largest building in Atlanta Cord Mutual is 500 stories. Are there taller buildings in SR cannon?

EDIT: Current worlds tallest building only 137 floors and 2717ft.
EDIT2: That puts CI building at around 9500ft.
MJBurrage
When comparing floor counts and building height, you want to make sure to use "Top Floor Height" or "Roof Height" rather than Antenna or Spire height. Top Floor Height divided by the number of floors below it is the most accurate. Roof Height divided by the total floors is close. (See the Sears/Willis Tower for an example.)
  • Burj Khalifa – 209 floors – 621.3 m T.F. – 2.99 m/floor
  • Ostankino Tower – 120 floors – 360.0 m T.F. – 3.03 m/floor
  • Renraku Arcology – 320 floors – 969.0 m Roof – 3.03 m/floor
  • The Illinois – 528 floors – 1,609.3 m Roof – 3.05 m/floor
  • Empire State Building – 102 floors – 373.2 m T.F. – 3.70 m/floor
  • World Trade Center – 110 floors – 411.9 m T.F. – 3.78 m/floor
  • Sears/Willis Skydeck – 103rd floor – 412.4 m – 4.04 m/floor
  • Chicago Spire – 150 floors – 609.6 m Roof – 4.06 m/floor
  • Sears/Willis Tower – 108 floors – 442.3 m Roof – 4.10 m/floor
  • Canton Tower – 108 floors – 459.2 m Roof – 4.25 m/floor
  • Petronas Towers – 88 floors – 375.0 m T.F. – 4.31 m/floor
  • Taipei 101 – 101 floors – 439.2 m T.F. – 4.39 m/floor
So the 500-story Cord Mutual Insurance "skyraker" could have a roof-height as low as 1500 m (3 m/floor). If it was built to 4m/floor, it would have a roof height of 2 km. Given that the building is in CAS (which might be the last country in the sixth world to prefer feet over meters) it could also have a height of 1 mile (1609.3 m).

EDITED to add examples and clarify calculations. The new table includes "The Illinois" which I suspect is the inspiration for the Cord building, and the "Chicago Spire" which was built in Shadowrun even though it was cancelled in real life.
CanRay
*Smiles and juggles explosives* How much is going to be paid to keep that title? devil.gif
MJBurrage
Kuwait City has broken ground on the site of the Burj Mubarak al-Kabir. Which if built as planned will have at least 210 floors and a spire-height of 1001 meters (a deliberate play on the Arabian Nights)

P.S. In Shadowrun, the 150-story, 2000-ft. roof Chicago Spire was built.
CanRay
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 7 2011, 06:12 PM) *
P.S. In Shadowrun, the 150-story, 2000-ft. roof Chicago Spire was built.

That's a big ant hill!
KarmaInferno
Not Shadowrun, but kinda related and interesting...

Back when they still had money, Dubai had been planning to build the Al Burj Tower in the center of the Palm Jumeirah Island project. When completed it would have had a height of 1200 meters, about 30% taller than the current world record holder, the Burj Khalifa.

I was part of the early stage planning teams. The structure was so tall that new concrete technologies would have to be invented to withstand all the compressive and shear stresses that would have been placed on the structure. The building had apartments, movie theatres, shopping malls, fitness centers, schools, and it's own fire and police departments. Even 10 huge open air garden decks spaced evenly along the height of the building. Basically an arcology.

I remember being curious about why several rooms were "blacked out" in the plans. They had heavily reinforced walls, and independent water and power supplies. They were also strategically placed on the corners of the building every dozen or so floors. When I asked about them, my boss told me he didn't know what they were for, but he'd been told not to ask too many questions about them when HE inquired further up the chain.

Speculation was pretty rampant in my group, but I think the most popular theory was that they were to house anti-aircraft equipment.

-k
Prime Mover
Never clearly states what it looks exactly like just has this to say.

"Towering above all the downtown buildings is the
Cord Mutual Insurance skyraker. This 500-story building
vaults into the clouds like a great ebony pillar of metal and
polymers. It is a tribute to modem civil engineering,
though the top 25 stories are closed now because of
structural instability."

Shadow rumors mention things getting shipped up to those floors and never coming back down and that something was going on "up" there. (possible alamos connection)
Also mentions how Cord is the largest insurance company in the world and how it won the "insurance war".
Kagetenshi
The Renraku Arcology's 969-meter "total building height" serves as a lower bound. It's only 320 above-ground stories, though, and there's Shadowtalk about how the resulting average floor-height is not Troll-friendly, so Cord's tower is clearly taller.

~J
Nath
The Renraku arcology in Seattle has 320 floors and is 969 meters tall. In 2049, when only 828 meters tall, it was already the ninth largest building in the world (largest, not tallest though). The towers in Manhattan formerly known as Fuchi-Town (that replaced the World Trade Center) have 250 floors.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ May 7 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Never clearly states what it looks exactly like just has this to say.

"Towering above all the downtown buildings is the
Cord Mutual Insurance skyraker. This 500-story building
vaults into the clouds like a great ebony pillar of metal and
polymers. It is a tribute to modem civil engineering,
though the top 25 stories are closed now because of
structural instability."

Shadow rumors mention things getting shipped up to those floors and never coming back down and that something was going on "up" there. (possible alamos connection)
Also mentions how Cord is the largest insurance company in the world and how it won the "insurance war".

"The entire roof cap is made out of a magnesium-tungsten alloy..."

"What are you so involved with over there?"

"These are the blueprints for structural ironwork of Dana Barret's apartment building, and they are very, very strange."

"So what I guess they just don't make them like they use too huh?"

"No! Nobody ever made them like this! I mean the architect had to be a certified genius or an authentic wacko!"

-k
Prime Mover
Karma are you the keymaster?
KarmaInferno
Yes.

Actually I'm a friend of his, he asked me to meet him here.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012