Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Military grade Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Makki
Sure, it's very obvious and the opposite of discrete, but let's be honest about 1/3 of your runs don't care about inconspicuousness. My Mage got one and is using it frequently, whenever he knows, nobody will care and safety goes first. (Kowloon, Lagos, Chicago)

But I was always wandering how it will actually look like...The only thing we know for sure is, it's probably not too bulky, as it's not yet a vehicle and special forces use it for infiltration. But it's a kind of power armor with all the servos that can be installed and humans will need.

Could this be a Light Armor?
a HALO picture, maybe Medium or Light?
this looks heavy!
(thanks to all the great deviantart artists)

You have ideas/pictures?
Yerameyahu
Robocop. There's a (cruddy) drawing in the book.

Aside: players should never get it. biggrin.gif And yet, the Avail rules do nothing to stop them. Costs less than a good commlink. Sigh.
KarmaInferno
Eh. Players can already get stuff that is as protective as heavy military armor with all the various layering and special armor add-ons. And it'll look like ordinary clothing.

They just lose out on the special milspec-only armor options, most of which can be replicated by other gear anyhow.

-k
Yerameyahu
On the contrary, that's *why* milspec armor is so good. It replaces all that layering, add-ons, and other gear—you don't *have* to resort to replicating it with 'other gear'. biggrin.gif Suddenly, you don't need cyberlimbs to get arm gyros, foot anchors, jumping jacks, or strength enhancement. Plus, the helmet commlink is bargain-priced alone, before you mention the little goodies.

Yes, less subtle. No, not suitable for as many situations. So? smile.gif The Ares Alpha is still a major gun, even if a pistol hides better for certain times.
Chance359
How about this, Section 8
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Makki @ May 7 2011, 11:10 PM) *

This appears to be a screenshot of a character played in champions online.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Chance359 @ May 8 2011, 12:11 AM) *
How about this, Section 8

The gameplay video reminds me of starsiege: tribes, the image next to the video, judge dredd.
Dez384
Whenever the GunBunny dwarf in would put on his heavy armor, we'd call him a "battle ewok" and I imagined him as follow as Kore from the comic Goblins
Hagga
Light armour I imagine as the gent from Page 34 of the Runner's Companion. The one in the background, obviously. Go dig out your book, took me 10 minutes of flipping through mine to find it.
Medium Armour, Medium Armour 2
Heavy Armour 1.
A slightly sexualised heavy armour. It's just the only way I can think of to represent a character who is armed and armoured to the teeth but still agile enough to be considered a military asset - the designers and their concept art did a great job. I suppose if you wanted, you could go the 40k route.
sgtbarnesKY
I always use Colonial Marine armor from Aliens as light armor, and Halo Reach as medium/heavy armor. You could almost use the War Machine suit from Iron Man 2 as Heavy armor, minus the flying and whatnot. Makes for a good image.
Draco18s
Or what about those armor suits from Ghost in the Shell?
I can't find a picture of the one Motoko took out with an anti-tank rifle and a broken arm. But it was pretty snazzy. Took at least two rounds to the chest and was "fine"

Edit:
Misremembered what it looked like.
http://member.rpg.hu/teron/images/gits-mecha-2.jpg
Manunancy
That last one is seriously verging on vehicle territory - judging by the size it's probably weighting one half metric tonne to a full one. It would also be fully motorized rather than being moved by the user's muscles (even with support, the thing is just too big and wrongly articulated for that).

In Cybeprpunk that would be an ACPA (Assisted Combat Personal Armor - an heavily armored exosekleton, with a lifting capacity rating in tons and a weight ranking from 300 kg for the lightweight up to more than one metric ton for the heaviest models)
Dez384
As armor increases, at point do you stop using dodge and start using pilot anthroform? silly.gif
silva
Dont know about military, but I imagine police armor just like the ones in old genesis game ESWAT.

Here, take a look..

http://www.jornadamegadrive.net/wp-content...ege-j-a1000.jpg
http://www.exotica.org.uk/mediawiki/files/...9_%28alt%29.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_84--XCXrG7Y/SXCc...g-kidnapped.jpg
TheOOB
http://media.ifccenter.com/images/films/st...ers_592x299.jpg

All body armor should look like this smile.gif

In an seriousness, I like the image of how Mass Effect armor looks for military grade body armor.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/415092...2d25b97b4_o.jpg
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 7 2011, 03:15 PM) *
Robocop. There's a (cruddy) drawing in the book.

Aside: players should never get it. biggrin.gif And yet, the Avail rules do nothing to stop them. Costs less than a good commlink. Sigh.

Yeah, well. Whadda ya gonna do? wobble.gif
Nath
The original illustration for the Esprit military grade armor from Fields of Fire : http://nmath.free.fr/onyx/depot/mga.png
Loch
Another Mass Effect one, but this shows light/medium/heavy in order.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Hagga @ May 7 2011, 10:41 PM) *

This one I really like, I want to call it a good medium-heavy military armor representation, but in some campaings it would be called full body armor or swat armor since it still has some exposed soft layers.
KarmaInferno
Nightmare Armor Studios makes a nifty collection of medium to heavy look costume battle armor.

-k
Raven the Trickster
Sweet Jebus they make some cool stuff. If I was in shape and had the money they would be able to make some really effing sweet costumes. Sadly I'm not nearly artistic enough to do this sort of thing myself.
Manunancy
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 8 2011, 10:26 PM) *
Nightmare Armor Studios makes a nifty collection of medium to heavy look costume battle armor.

-k

I've had a quick look and they look really nice - though the model ten's female version rubs me off with the inclusion of high heels - definitvely a fail for combat gear.
CanRay
A comment I made a bit ago: "Where the hell did she find high-heeled combat boots?"
hobgoblin
same place as the ladies of bubblegum crisis?
KarmaInferno
They have also done armor work on Gears of War, Jin-Roh, and Halo, but it's not on their official site I think due to copyright reasons. Not cheap, though, suits costing in the 3000-5000 dollar range and up.

-k
Elfenlied
For me, the Crysis Nanosuits closely resemble Light Milspec Armor.
Faraday
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 7 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Eh. Players can already get stuff that is as protective as heavy military armor with all the various layering and special armor add-ons. And it'll look like ordinary clothing.

They just lose out on the special milspec-only armor options, most of which can be replicated by other gear anyhow.
You forgot the biggest advantage of milspec armor. It's all custom-tailored for maximum mobility while providing maximum protection. Even heavy milspec+helmet gives no penalties as long as your body is 6 or more, and that's WITHOUT the mobility upgrade (which also adds its rating to running tests, for even better mobility).

Good example of light-medium milspec armor. It's pretty form-fitting to an extent, but obviously protective and well-sealed.
Heavy armor here, but mostly to indicate how VERSATILE they are. It's like the swiss army knife of armor.
Definitely heavy armor.
This screams heavy armor. But is probably more like the Iron Will vehicle/armor.
Hagga
QUOTE (Faraday @ May 10 2011, 11:31 AM) *
You forgot the biggest advantage of milspec armor. It's all custom-tailored for maximum mobility while providing maximum protection. Even heavy milspec+helmet gives no penalties as long as your body is 6 or more, and that's WITHOUT the mobility upgrade (which also adds its rating to running tests, for even better mobility).

Good example of light-medium milspec armor. It's pretty form-fitting to an extent, but obviously protective and well-sealed.
Heavy armor here, but mostly to indicate how VERSATILE they are. It's like the swiss army knife of armor.
Definitely heavy armor.
This screams heavy armor. But is probably more like the Iron Will vehicle/armor.

Problem I have with your heavy armour images is that they'd impede mobility something shocking. Sad as I am to say it, and much as I loathe the way it looks, I think mass effect armour is probably the best bet.
jakephillips
Even Heavy Military armor with helmet is only 18/16 which is very high but on the numbers only stops 6 points of damage with successes. The best part is that you almost always take stun instead of physical damage. I guy with an assault rifle 6p-1 long bursts +5 damage and gets one net success =12 points of damage your armor on average takes 6 then if you are body 9 you soak 3 and take 3 stun. Its good but not the walking tank you expect it to be. Someone with the new High Caliber rifles from War will do even better.
Yerameyahu
That's why it's got Autoinjectors. But yes, the whole P -> S thing is wacky. Better than the alternative (invulnerability).
Faraday
QUOTE (jakephillips @ May 10 2011, 05:57 PM) *
Even Heavy Military armor with helmet is only 18/16 which is very high but on the numbers only stops 6 points of damage with successes. The best part is that you almost always take stun instead of physical damage. I guy with an assault rifle 6p-1 long bursts +5 damage and gets one net success =12 points of damage your armor on average takes 6 then if you are body 9 you soak 3 and take 3 stun. Its good but not the walking tank you expect it to be. Someone with the new High Caliber rifles from War will do even better.

Those with a trauma dampener rejoice in heavy milspec. I might add that you also have a prime candidate for a chemseal and it (uniquely) eliminates the dangers of dartguns/blowgun and the nasty stuff often applied to them.
WhiskeyJohnny
This is something like I'd expect Milspec armor to look:

Who shot my Skittles?
Oh, you shot my Skittles.
A quiet moment

That artist has some other images that might be appropriate for Shadowrun, as well.
Critias
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 11 2011, 01:54 PM) *
That artist has some other images that might be appropriate for Shadowrun, as well.

He's also done several of my favorite Secret Six covers. A whole gallery of his stuff is cool to have, thanks for the link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012