Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help please
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raptor1033
ok, we've probably all seen the drawings of teams of shadowrunners going through walls. is there a spell that'll let you walk through a wall? if so what is it? if not how would we go about designing it?
type: physical
range: touch
Requirement: voluntary subject
after this i've got no idea cause i don't have the books with me
Grey
There used to be a spell called Turn to Goo. Maybe you could design a spell that only turns walls to goo for the duration of the spell.
Synner
The 2 canon illustrations I've seen of runners physically passing through walls in context did not involve spells. They were meant to illustrate a substance described in the text (can't remember the name of it) which reacts with plasticrete (or one variety of it) temporarily making it soft and pliable. It crops up in at least two adventures.
Raptor1033
hhhmmmmm i think i may recal that stuff too, been a while since i've seen it and if i recall wasn't it dangerous? anywhoo, what about the spell? is it plausible?
Firewall
The substance that turns to goop is Plastisteel - 7. You need a special catalyst and it becomes as malleable as chewing gum but returns to normal plastisteel consistency after a while. Check Shadowtech's chemistry section...
Drain Brain
The Plastisteel-7 catalyst also appears in 3rd edition - in M&M, p113.

As for the spell, I would suggest that you would have to go through the "phase shift" route a la Marvel Comics' Kitty Pride and Jesse from the TV series Mutant X, since the SR magic base does not include the ability to affect time or space in terms of travel.
Jason Farlander
"Turn Stuff into Air"

Manip spell, major physical change (DL S)
Physical (+1 DP)
Restricted target: inanimate objects (-1 DP)
Touch range (-1 DL)
Sustained (+1 DP)

total: +1 M

This spell transforms a single object (or a portion of that object) touched by the caster into air. The TN and the threshold number of successes needed to affect an object are determined by the OR value and Barrier Rating of the object to be turned into air respectively (TN=OR, Threshold = 1/2 Barrier rating). Meeting the threshold number of successes on the spellcasting test transmutes up to 1 cubic meter of the target into air, with each additional success beyond the threshold transforming an additional cubic meter up to a maximum amount equal to the Force of the spell.
Hasaku
What happens when the mage casts this low drain spell on a load bearing wall? Or a vehicle? Or the ground? What happens when he drops the spell? If there's something in the way?

I mean, a mage with some karma pool and/or centering could make this a GM headache from hell.
Crimson Jack
I don't think I'd allow this in my game, or if I did, I'd make the target more exclusive that 'inanimate object'. Since detection spells require something more complex ('human', 'dragon', 'enemy', etc.) it seems to make sense to do the same for this type of spell, especially one that appears very broken in application.

Not that it isn't worth checking and figuring out the specifics, just it would need to be either hard to cast (drain-wise) or more specific IMO.
Shockwave_IIc
very dodgy, more so if you put it in a sustaining focus. Back door anyone?
simonw2000
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
The Plastisteel-7 catalyst also appears in 3rd edition - in M&M, p113.

It's used in First Run as well.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Plasteel 7 originally appeared in DNA/DOA. After applying the catalyst you had to wait for a few moments as the reaction released a lot of heat, and even afterwards it has the consistency of chewing gum. Better make sure your ger and hair is covered, nothing worse that gum jamming your ingram when you really need to use it...
Darkest Angel
Simple, 'Shape (building material)', obviously you'd need different spells for plascrete, plastisteel and so on, but you can simply form a hole in it the same way as you'd use shape earth to dig a tunnel, or shape water to provide you with a passage through a fast flowing river. It should make no difference regarding load bearing walls so long as the spell was sustained, and if you put it back together right once you've gone through it wont collapse.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I don't think I'd allow this in my game, or if I did, I'd make the target more exclusive that 'inanimate object'. Since detection spells require something more complex ('human', 'dragon', 'enemy', etc.) it seems to make sense to do the same for this type of spell, especially one that appears very broken in application.

Not that it isn't worth checking and figuring out the specifics, just it would need to be either hard to cast (drain-wise) or more specific IMO.

Only affecting inanimate objects is, in fact, an explicitly-listed example of the "restricted target" modifier in MITS. The detection spells you mention are examples of the "very restricted target" modifier which, if applied in this case, would reduce the drain level to light.

As for Hasaku's concerns... thats a large part of what being a GM is all about... on-the-fly creativity. Vehicles are very difficult to affect anyway, but the spell would cause them to stop working while sustained. Casting it on the ground makes a temporary hole. If mage accidentally casts the spell on a load bearing wall...well... thats his problem, isnt it? As for what happens when something is caught in the structure when the spell is dropped... either theyre trapped in it or they get ejected with a 50% chance for either side, depending on the flavor preferred by the GM.

I, for one, have fewer problems with this spell than I do with, say, petrify.... but I still allow that spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012