Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do high physical attributes look like?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Machiavelli
E.g. is a body 7 troll slim. Can strenght 6 humans also be wiry instead of bulky?

And to add something not merely physical: Is charisma 1 always ugly?

We know how skills have to be categorized due to the core-book but there is nowhere a hint about attributes.
Halflife
I generally feel that you look however you think you look unless you exceed the norms for your metatype. In general you don't look like a weakling with Str 5/6 but if you are rocking low Body maybe you are wiry instead of bodybuilder. The one difference might be body since it roughly correlates with size. Also, charisma really doesn't correlate with attractiveness imo. Attractiveness is such a subjective thing that I wouldn't allow it to be quantified by a single number that also gets to be part of your Composure tests, seems silly to me.

People with augmentations probably look pretty crazy though. Muscle replacements give you big bulging muscles that make you bulky and Hulked out , Pheromones make you preternaturally intriguing, MBW/Wired reaction boosters make you twitchy and on edge, etc.
Dez384
With attributes, there are no hard and fast rulings on what different scores look like. A high strength character could be bulked out, or they could be wiry with good muscles definition; it's the difference between lengthening muscles and building muscle mass.

Body 7 would be average size for a troll, but body doesn't necessarily correspond to physical size and weight.

Likewise, charisma is a mental stat, not necessarily prettiness, which would be physical. Though physical improvements help ones persona, just as physical deformities can hurt one's charm. A low charisma character could be ugly, or just simply not good at talking and expressing themselves.
Glyph
The old ork street samurai archetype was described as having "charming good looks" and a "cultured accent" despite his Charisma of 1, so it's definitely a mental stat. A Charisma of 1 could mean you are attractive but shallow, or charming but obviously insincere, or any number of other things.

Body and Strength should also be difficult to discern. You might look compact and wiry, but if you are a gymnast, rock climber, or former dock worker, you could be damn strong. Or you could be a gym rat, with chiseled muscles that are mostly show.

Augmentations could go either way. They could be obvious, as Halflife envisions them, or they could be very subtle. A woman with a natural Strength of 1, with muscle augmentation: 4, might still look thin and petite.

Metatype will play into it, too. A big, overweight troll might look far stronger than his undeveloped Strength of 5 - because he's frikkin' huge! A dwarf might get underestimated, though, because not everyone is aware that they have such a high muscle density - they just see a short dude.
Makki
Body is also Health and Immune System.

I found the weirdest thing recently. Goblins (Dwarf Infected) have a minimum Body of 3 and an average of 4-5, despite being described "New goblins rapidly purge almost all body fat and hair. They become skeletal, skin taught over bone and wiry muscle." And as we all know, the Infected are very ill...
Mäx
QUOTE (Makki @ May 16 2011, 12:44 AM) *
And as we all know, the Infected are very ill...

Not really, after the virus is done messing around with their genetics, their not really sick in any way that matters to them.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (Halflife @ May 15 2011, 11:35 AM) *
MBW/Wired reaction boosters make you twitchy and on edge, etc.

Slight nitpick:
While this has been true for Wired Reflexes, Move By Wire has always been portrayed as being unnaturally smooth due to how it works.
Hagga
Someone with 6 agility is incredibly surefooted and never takes a step wrong. Someone with step 12 agility manages to look graceful and relentless at the same time and the world itself seems to correspond to their wishes in regards to footing. Someone with 6 reaction is never surprised at all and takes it all in his stride, one step ahead. Someone with 12 reaction teleports, instead of moving - their arm is in one spot and then it's in another. Someone with 6 body *glows* with health and vitality, like someone's got a lamp underneath their skin.. assuming they happen to be human.
Glyph
That's assuming they are making no effort to hide it. Although with plenty of augmented specimens tromping around, security forces will probably be trained to notice the little tell-tales. Back in feudal Japan, one of the ways they detected ninjas was by having a small child send a spinning top in the suspected ninja's path. If it was a ninja, they would make a graceful movement to avoid it that only a trained ninja would do.

I would also say - if someone has move-by-wire: 3, then it is probably a very, very bad idea to have a surprise birthday party for them. biggrin.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 15 2011, 08:23 PM) *
I would also say - if someone has move-by-wire: 3, then it is probably a very, very bad idea to have a surprise birthday party for them. biggrin.gif

This should be a shadow run.
Hagga
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 16 2011, 04:23 AM) *
That's assuming they are making no effort to hide it. Although with plenty of augmented specimens tromping around, security forces will probably be trained to notice the little tell-tales. Back in feudal Japan, one of the ways they detected ninjas was by having a small child send a spinning top in the suspected ninja's path. If it was a ninja, they would make a graceful movement to avoid it that only a trained ninja would do.

Depending on how long they've lived with it for. Someone who just got one in the last five years might react stereotypically. Someone who's had them for 15 (and somehow not DIED) might smile politely. For those who have 'older' characters.
Loch
For that matter, what does Reaction look like period? It's a physical stat, but I can't imagine looking at a guy and saying "Oh, well he just looks faster on the draw than everyone else here"
Makki
you can't see Agility either. But You can probably see them in action wink.gif Just throw something at him and wait for him to catch it, or not...
Loch
QUOTE (Makki @ May 16 2011, 08:47 AM) *
you can't see Agility either. But You can probably see them in action wink.gif Just throw something at him and wait for him to catch it, or not...

You could probably get a good idea of someone's Agility by watching them jog for a bit, or run to catch a train, but point taken.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ May 16 2011, 06:47 AM) *

There is a great scene in the Movie Ronin that illustrates that very well.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 16 2011, 05:11 PM) *
Damn, you were quicker. When I get to play SR again, I just have to ambush someone with a cup of tea (or was it coffee) and a pen.

I think you should give the players some leeway with their description. High strength does not need to look like a bodybuilder. I doubt though that someone with Physical attributes on or near the maximum would look like Chris Farley/John Candy.
Makki
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 16 2011, 10:11 AM) *

i was of course thinking of this scene, when writing my post wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Makki @ May 16 2011, 08:45 AM) *

Indeed... It was the scene that immediately popped to mind... smile.gif
Apathy
Yeah, thread necromancy! Figure it's better than re-making the same threads over and over though.

Would like someone to tell me if the attached pic is more-or-less accurate, or if you think they need adjusting. [img]http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab305/JamesChamlee/Shadowrun/?action=view&current=RaceandStatsvsSize.jpg[/img] Are the trolls too small, or the elves too thick?

The most obvious/visible component in the Bod score is size. Large critters with heavy bone structures and lots of muscle and fat covering their vital organs are more capable of absorbing physical damage, all other factors being equal. Unfortunately this links strength and body together - I can't really picture what a Strength 1 Body 6 character or a Strength 6 Body 1 character would look like or how they'd work. I think this works out for most of the 'normal' ratings though. The figures are supposed to represent general body size for each 'natural' Bod score.
Mäx
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jun 7 2011, 12:31 AM) *
Are the trolls too small, or the elves too thick?

The troll is way too short, in the comparison pick he's barely a head staller then the elf.
RC page 48 has a table for the racial average heigh and weight, an elf is 1,9m and a troll is 2,5m
Other think is that an ork is also 1,9m tall on average, so your orks are way too short.
Ghost_in_the_System
You know that stereotypical blond cheerleader type that is super beautiful, but is a total b**ch and if she wasn't so good looking no one would want to be anywhere near her? That's an example of someone who is beautiful but has a 1 charisma.

Similarly you can have people who are plain looking or even 'ugly' but who you just love to spend time with because they're great talkers, listeners, etc. That is an example of someone who isn't beautiful but has a high charisma.
CanRay
Charisma is force of personality as well as good looks.

Pup the Dog Shaman probably isn't that good looking (The bullet scar in the middle of the forehead kind of ruins things), but he's got an aura around him. Usually, it says, "Don't slot with me.". nyahnyah.gif
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 16 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Damn, you were quicker. When I get to play SR again, I just have to ambush someone with a cup of tea (or was it coffee) and a pen.

QUOTE (Makki @ May 16 2011, 11:45 PM) *

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 17 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Indeed... It was the scene that immediately popped to mind... smile.gif

This was the VERY first thing that popped into my head - great minds think alike smokin.gif

I used to work for a company that made "flex-pickers" - robots that picked small things up off of conveyor belts. The things would sit motionless, then blur into motion, then return to a standstill instantly. It was very creepy to watch, almost insect-like in how quickly it would move and then not-move. I always imagined that's how someone with WR / MBW might look.
CanRay
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 16 2011, 10:36 AM) *

Coffee.

"Tell me about an ambush! I AMBUSHED YOU WITH A CUP OF COFFEE!"

Oh, and I hurt someone's feelings once.
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jun 7 2011, 12:15 AM) *
I used to work for a company that made "flex-pickers" - robots that picked small things up off of conveyor belts. The things would sit motionless, then blur into motion, then return to a standstill instantly. It was very creepy to watch, almost insect-like in how quickly it would move and then not-move. I always imagined that's how someone with WR / MBW might look.

I worked in robotics unprofessionally for awhile (Don't ask), and can attest to this. MBW, however, has micro-seizures that constantly happen, so that's how I imagine Wired Reflexes working.

Also, being "Reflex Motion", it can also mean you just shoved your Cougar Fineblade into your Chummer five times before he hit the ground just because he came up behind you and patted you on the shoulder before saying, "Eh Mon! How goes me bruddah?". Hatchetman talking about how he had to keep his back to walls and other such things to prevent mistakes like that were very... Interesting. And accurate, most likely.

I don't make sudden movements around combat vets, for instance. Not after I moved a bit too silently around one for his own liking.
phlapjack77
That wasn't the scene, was it? It was the scene where Sam drops the coffee cup to test Gregor's reflexes...
CanRay
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jun 7 2011, 12:28 AM) *
That wasn't the scene, was it? It was the scene where Sam drops the coffee cup to test Gregor's reflexes...

There was two scenes with a cup of coffee. My quote was from the second.
phlapjack77
Right, but the scene with the "coffee ambush" wasn't trying to test anyone's reflexes, was it? It was to test Spence's combat exp, or lack thereof. Anyway, sorry for being pedantic, arguing about a movie scene on a RPG message board and all that nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jun 7 2011, 12:54 AM) *
Right, but the scene with the "coffee ambush" wasn't trying to test anyone's reflexes, was it? It was to test Spence's combat exp, or lack thereof. Anyway, sorry for being pedantic, arguing about a movie scene on a RPG message board and all that nyahnyah.gif

You quoted the scene that showed proof of the ability, I quoted the one that proved the lack thereof. IIRC, he tested everyone in one way or another for abilities or professionalism.
phlapjack77
Hmmm, I hadn't seen it from that angle, that he "tests" every one of his partners in crime...have to rewatch the movie now with this new angle in my mind smile.gif
CanRay
It's what I'd do. And makes some of his questions and answers, with his watching the reactions to both, make a lot more sense. Some are multiple tests, such as the question about the boathouse, which tells him who is the person that does the most thinking and pondering, as well as who is most likely to actually have the guts or willpower to ask the question of a unarmed man that just ambushed a pistol packing amateur with a cup of coffee.

It's also how the character is played out, if you watch the scene at the hotel when he tests the reactions to the guards protecting the package and bagman. And is able to get photo evidence for planning.

Very subtle, but very, very effective.

Of course, what the hell do I know about anything?
Eimi
A lot of younger runners think the most important skill they can have is with firearms. Or at unarmed combat. With a katana. The ability to dodge some rent a cop's shots. To bamboozle an actual cop.

The older ones, who actually lived long enough to know a thing or two? They all know that it's Perception. Because if you never see certain things coming, all of the above won't do you a lick of good.
ElFenrir
High Logic, I imagine, we see anytime we see Steven Hawking or any other of the scientific geniuses. Well as much as you can ''see'' it.

High Willpower sticks out in my mind with a scene in the not great but kind of fun more recent Punisher movie. The scene where the one guy is torturing the kid with the piercings, but he doesn't give up *any* info, even as they're ripped out of his face with a pair of pliers. That, to me, speaks of high-ass willpower.

High Strength indeed can be tough. I mean I have an old friend who isn't the biggest guy in the world-not very tall and he doesn't look big, but he's stronger than an ox on steroids.

Edit: Of course, I missed the 'physical' thing in the actual thread title and I give two mental examples. Whoops.

Re: Reaction-I always sort of felt that as the half-mental, half-physical attribute.
Ghost_in_the_System
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Jun 7 2011, 10:18 AM) *
Re: Reaction-I always sort of felt that as the half-mental, half-physical attribute.

I've always viewed it as a purely physical attribute, the mental half is intuition.

Basically reflexes is how fast your body itself can react, your twitch reflexes. Intuition is how quickly your mind can react, especially to 'larger' things. Like intuition doesn't cover 'I need to get out of the way of gunfire' because that is thought far far faster than the body can react, so your actual ability to react is based on reflexes (and hence its use in dodging bullets) while intuition would deal with 'I want to get over there because it gives me a better position to shoot from' or 'I want to shoot her first because she is more dangerous' (and hence its use in initiative).

Think of it as want vs need. You want to kill the more dangerous person first, you want a better tactical position, but you need to get out of the way of that semi coming your way.
CanRay
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Jun 7 2011, 10:18 AM) *
High Willpower sticks out in my mind with a scene in the not great but kind of fun more recent Punisher movie. The scene where the one guy is torturing the kid with the piercings, but he doesn't give up *any* info, even as they're ripped out of his face with a pair of pliers. That, to me, speaks of high-ass willpower.

High Strength indeed can be tough. I mean I have an old friend who isn't the biggest guy in the world-not very tall and he doesn't look big, but he's stronger than an ox on steroids.

In the Squik-Tastic scene in Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days, when they're stripped naked and have been attacked with box cutters to try and torture information out of them... That shows some high-hooped Willpower and Charisma (Composure Tests). Not only don't they talk, but they go on a roaring rampage of revenge after getting free. While naked. Thank goodness for censor bars!

My Stepfather was a mover, and while stout, did not have the bulging muscles one would associate with strength. His partner in his job was a tall, scrawny guy. Both were able to out lift and out work a chiseled power lifter (High Strength and Body in their cases), but that's as much skill as it is training. Never doubt experience. I miss him. (*Throws a shot of aged single malt scotch into a fire*)

However, there was one really big guy I knew that used the steel rails while working on the railroad lines as cabers for fun while bored on the job site with another fellow. Just looking at him, however, you knew he was strong. Miss him, as well. Had a damn good wake for him at a strip club, however.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2011, 01:36 PM) *
In the Squik-Tastic scene in Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days, when they're stripped naked and have been attacked with box cutters to try and torture information out of them... That shows some high-hooped Willpower and Charisma (Composure Tests). Not only don't they talk, but they go on a roaring rampage of revenge after getting free. While naked. Thank goodness for censor bars!

My Stepfather was a mover, and while stout, did not have the bulging muscles one would associate with strength. His partner in his job was a tall, scrawny guy. Both were able to out lift and out work a chiseled power lifter (High Strength and Body in their cases), but that's as much skill as it is training. Never doubt experience. I miss him. (*Throws a shot of aged single malt scotch into a fire*)

However, there was one really big guy I knew that used the steel rails while working on the railroad lines as cabers for fun while bored on the job site with another fellow. Just looking at him, however, you knew he was strong. Miss him, as well. Had a damn good wake for him at a strip club, however.

Canadians have the best parties
Fyndhal
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 15 2011, 11:23 PM) *
Back in feudal Japan, one of the ways they detected ninjas was by having a small child send a spinning top in the suspected ninja's path. If it was a ninja, they would make a graceful movement to avoid it that only a trained ninja would do.

[citation needed]

grinbig.gif
Ghost_in_the_System
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Jun 7 2011, 12:40 PM) *
Back in feudal Japan, one of the ways they detected ninjas was by having a small child send a spinning top in the suspected ninja's path. If it was a ninja, they would make a graceful movement to avoid it that only a trained ninja would do.

[citation needed]

grinbig.gif

That sounds more or less like western methods of witch detection. AKA totally ineffective.
CanRay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jun 7 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Canadians have the best parties

It was a wake. The strippers were part of it.

Not exactly a party.
Ghost_in_the_System
I think that only makes it more impressive. If a wake involves strippers, what does an actual party entail? nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 7 2011, 09:19 PM) *
I think that only makes it more impressive. If a wake involves strippers, what does an actual party entail? nyahnyah.gif

Wouldn't know. Never get invited to any.
redwulf25
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2011, 09:16 PM) *
It was a wake. The strippers were part of it.

Not exactly a party.

I've always thought of a wake as a "farewell" party of sorts.

Edit: at least the good old fashioned Irish kind of wake. Other cultures wakes are more somber and involve less drinking.
Ghost_in_the_System
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Jun 7 2011, 11:58 PM) *
I've always thought of a wake as a "farewell" party of sorts.

Edit: at least the good old fashioned Irish kind of wake. Other cultures wakes are more somber and involve less drinking.

Does an Irish anything not involve drinking?

*runs and hides* smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 8 2011, 12:33 AM) *
Does an Irish anything not involve drinking?

*runs and hides* smile.gif

There are sober Irishmen. They're called "Dry Alcoholics". nyahnyah.gif
Tyro
Knowing how to use your body properly has a lot to do with apparent strength. So does physiology. When I'm in shape I don't look all that different from when I'm out of shape (my muscles tone much more than they bulk), and I'm always stronger than I look regardless of what shape I'm in because I know how to use my body effectively. I also have very good pain and damage resistance (Body and Willpower) and rarely get sick (Body), even though I'm a beanpole.
Ghost_in_the_System
Tyro is also an Ork with the Human Looking quality wink.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 8 2011, 03:52 PM) *
Tyro is also an Ork with the Human Looking quality wink.gif

Why would you say that? Nothing wrong with Orks, but in the Shadowrun universe I'd probably still be human.

I'm 6'2" and weigh between the mid-150's and mid-160's depending on how in shape I am.
Ghost_in_the_System
Never said there was anything wrong with it. Orks are all big and strong and BP efficent after all smile.gif

No idea what I'd be. Human, elf, ork... don't think I'd be a troll or dwarf, but who knows, it isn't like what you're like really dictates your metatype.
Tyro
What I'd like to be is human, though. It just fits me best.
Apathy
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 6 2011, 10:18 PM) *
The troll is way too short, in the comparison pick he's barely a head staller then the elf.
RC page 48 has a table for the racial average heigh and weight, an elf is 1,9m and a troll is 2,5m
Other think is that an ork is also 1,9m tall on average, so your orks are way too short.

I had made the elf too tall, and troll and dwarf too short. Corrected to the heights listed in RC.Race and Body vs Size
Machiavelli
Nice sheat. Now we can start to discuss why trolls are so weak and "fragile" in comparison to orks even when they are so much bigger.^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012