Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Known Arcologies in 2072?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
Off the top of my head, Japan has 'several', but no mention of how many or where, and Kuala Lumpar has one (Which is implied to be from Renraku, but not spelled out as such) ... Proteus is supposed to have a few (That move?) but, it's mostly found in German product, which I can't read and don't own.

D'oh.

Anyone have the datadump on what arcologies are officially out there, where they're at, and who runs each?

Be much obliged.
Nath
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ May 18 2011, 08:20 PM) *
Proteus is supposed to have a few (That move?) but, it's mostly found in German product, which I can't read and don't own.
Regarding Proteus "arkobloks", you can get a lot of information in English from Shockwaves, a summary of the German campaign Shockwellen.

CanRay
The Aztechnology Archology in Seattle. And the ACHE. nyahnyah.gif

Other than that, got me. Probably at least one in every major city.

Oooooooooooooooooooooo! Horizon is building one in Winnipeg, maybe? wink.gif
Wakshaani
Wonder how big the 'average' Arcology is, then? And who all has them? The SCRIE was uniquely expansive, it seems, and larger than the others out there... Renraku poured an astounding level of nuyen into it. I'd have to think that the norm is half the size, perhaps less, but, I'm not sure.

I need to hit the ancient books, see what's there, I think.
MJBurrage
Digging around a little I find:
  • Angel Towers Arcology (London) – Headquarters of Regulus Joint Industries.(Corporate Enclaves p.116)
  • Arcology Mile (Los Angeles) – A collection of small arcologies, controlled by Horizon.(Corporate Enclaves p.37, 40)
  • Ares Trident Aquacology (Guiana Basin) – Houses 3,000 personnel.(Target: Wastelands p.100)
  • Cord Mutual Insurance building (Atlanta) – A 500-story “skyraker”.(NAG to North America p.23) (1514 to 2224 meter height depending on floor height)
  • Proteus AG Offshore-Arkologien – Locations: Helgoland, Emden, Wilhelmshaven, Cuxhaven, Gronigen, Osaka, Okinawa.(Deutschland in den Schatten II, p.291, map) Rψmψ, Fidji, Pretoria, Iles du Diable, Isla Puna, Vancouver.(Sixth World Wiki, unsourced) Base 500Χ500m; Height 1700m.(Sixth World Wiki, unsourced)
  • Renraku Arcology (Seattle) – Officially named SCIRE (Self-Contained Industrial-Residential Environment). Trancated pyramid: Base 650Χ780m; Height 969m, 320 floors. “Ninth largest building in the world”.(Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, p.15,72)
  • Splendid Dragon Path (Hong Kong) – “Longest enclosed walkway on Earth” (over 1 km long with shops, housing, etc.)
  • Stratus Arcology (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).(Renraku Arcology: Shutdown p.17)
  • Sugamo Retirement Arcology (Neo-Tokyo).(Corporate Enclaves p.78, 82)
  • Yamatetsu Saotome AquaDomes – A self-sustaining underwater city.(Corporate Download, p.116)
lokii
There is a list in the German Shadowhelix: http://shadowhelix.de/Arkologie#.C3.9Cbersicht_Arkologien
CanRay
This has me thinking, actually. Winnipeg has the extensive "The Great Northwest Portage Passage" for an obvious reason (Harsh winters by Canadian perceptions! Literally, I heard an old couple pine for the old country and warmth in Winter, and they weren't offended when I asked where that was and happily informed me "Siberia".). 18 Blocks if Wikipedia is to be believed.

An Archology would be appreciated here, especially if it had Monorail or Bus Service!
Stahlseele
i still think the measurements of the arcoblocks are dumb.
1700x1700x500 would be much more believeable.
CanRay
With some good German engineering? wink.gif
Stahlseele
Yes, it would work, but why place undue stress unto a construction that is meant to be as survive able as possible?
If you can reduce stress on anything, by simply changing 2 numbers around, you do it . . or at least, you should . .
If you're not simply showing off just to show that you can . .
Best In Universe Reason for this i could see would be that a dragon requested them to be built with dragon height in mind when it comes to the floors . .
CanRay
Not to mention internal heating and a ketchup factory nearby.
MJBurrage
What book(s) give the dimensions (or detailed descriptions) of the Arcoblocks? As I noted in the list I posted, I got the dimensions from the Wiki, but there was no source given, and I could not find it myself.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 20 2011, 02:28 AM) *
What book(s) give the dimensions (or detailed descriptions) of the Arcoblocks? As I noted in the list I posted, I got the dimensions from the Wiki, but there was no source given, and I could not find it myself.

Target: Watselands I want to say. I was doing some digging myself and tripped over 'em.
Manunancy
Some of teh numbers seems odd - the floor heights seems quite low, especially for Seattle's Reneraku arcology - from a quick look around, most large nuilding seems to have a floor height between 4 to 5 meters. With 320 floors that would be something like 1200 to 1500m high.

Note : if it's supposed to includes industrial facilities, an average floor height of 3 meters seems very low, since those tned to require higher ceilings.
CanRay
It's from a Japanacorp, they're all a bunch of short people that don't need such tall ceilings. wink.gif

Keeping the place cramped also keeps the Wageslaves in their place. nyahnyah.gif
Dreadlord
From the novels, I believe that Renraku's arcology went several floors below street level. Not sure if that is included in the "320 levels" or not, but that is a possible explanation.
Wakshaani
The sub-floors were for the generators, mainly, and parking garages. Nobody lived down in that section.

Maybe the Japancorpse keep the ceilings low to A) save on electricity and B) hork off the metahumans.

"We'd love to hire you, Trogtooth, but you'd have to crawl everywhere and we just couldn't do that to your dignity."
MJBurrage
When comparing floor counts and building height, you want to make sure to use "Top Floor Height" or "Roof Height" rather than Antenna or Spire height. Top Floor Height divided by the number of floors below it is the most accurate. Roof Height divided by the total floors is close. (See the Sears/Willis Tower for an example.)
  • Burj Khalifa – 209 floors – 621.3 m T.F. – 2.99 m/floor
  • Ostankino Tower – 120 floors – 360.0 m T.F. – 3.03 m/floor
  • Renraku Arcology – 320 floors – 969.0 m Roof – 3.03 m/floor
  • The Illinois – 528 floors – 1,609.3 m Roof – 3.05 m/floor
  • Empire State Building – 102 floors – 373.2 m T.F. – 3.70 m/floor
  • World Trade Center – 110 floors – 411.9 m T.F. – 3.78 m/floor
  • Sears/Willis Skydeck – 103rd floor – 412.4 m – 4.04 m/floor
  • Chicago Spire – 150 floors – 609.6 m Roof – 4.06 m/floor
  • Sears/Willis Tower – 108 floors – 442.3 m Roof – 4.10 m/floor
  • Canton Tower – 108 floors – 459.2 m Roof – 4.25 m/floor
  • Petronas Towers – 88 floors – 375.0 m T.F. – 4.31 m/floor
  • Taipei 101 – 101 floors – 439.2 m T.F. – 4.39 m/floor
The 500-story Cord Mutual Insurance "skyraker" could have a roof-height as low as 1500 m (3 m/floor). If it was built to 4m/floor, it would have a roof height of 2 km. Given that the building is in CAS (which might be the last country in the sixth world to prefer feet over meters) it could also have a height of 1 mile (1609.3 m).

• All of the building floor counts and heights are above ground. The Renraku Arcology for example has 21 basement levels in addition to its 320 above ground floors.
• The table includes "The Illinois" which I suspect is the inspiration for the Cord building, and the "Chicago Spire" which was built in Shadowrun even though it was cancelled in real life.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (lokii @ May 19 2011, 04:34 PM) *
There is a list in the German Shadowhelix: http://shadowhelix.de/Arkologie#.C3.9Cbersicht_Arkologien

By the by, I almost forgot to thank you for this. That's the Perfect List, really, that seems to cover everything officially detailed. There are some that are offhandedly mentioned (Like the fact that the five Japancorpse back when we had a Big Eight all had arcologies in Japan), but this is the one list of concrete examples.

Awesome.

(As an aside, in my fanwork for Philedelphia, I've put down two ... the first, MCT's AutoFac, better known locally as 'the Black Box', is mostly an industrial complex with living quarters above, while the far younger Shiawase Multifamily Life Complex had the unfortunate accident of luminescent fungus having grown outside the walls for astral security ... thus earning it the name "Shia Pet".)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 19 2011, 10:55 PM) *
This has me thinking, actually. Winnipeg has the extensive "The Great Northwest Portage Passage" for an obvious reason (Harsh winters by Canadian perceptions! Literally, I heard an old couple pine for the old country and warmth in Winter, and they weren't offended when I asked where that was and happily informed me "Siberia".). 18 Blocks if Wikipedia is to be believed.

An Archology would be appreciated here, especially if it had Monorail or Bus Service!

ah, the 80s. biggrin.gif
lokii
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ May 20 2011, 06:40 PM) *
By the by, I almost forgot to thank you for this. That's the Perfect List, really, that seems to cover everything officially detailed. There are some that are offhandedly mentioned (Like the fact that the five Japancorpse back when we had a Big Eight all had arcologies in Japan), but this is the one list of concrete examples.

Yes, it's pretty complete. Some that were mentioned here are still missing. I will add them soon.

Also, aquacologies have a different list: http://shadowhelix.de/Aquakologie (not complete either)

And also a different list for Arkoblocks: http://shadowhelix.de/Arkoblock#Liste_der_Arkobl.C3.B6cke
MJBurrage
For anyone adding details to Wikis. Please, please give a source. Since anyone can add to them, there is no way to tell later if information is canon or simply from a player's campaign. If/when I make a table, there would be a column listing the best source for more detail.

I think the ideal table would have sortable columns for:
  • Arcology name
  • Owner
  • Notes – Dimensions if known, Floor count if known, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012