Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ares Assets in Space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magus
Hey guys, need some help. I recall seeing an image in some 4A ed source/splat book of all the corporate assets in space as well as the la grange points. Does anyone know where this was? I don't recall if it was even mentioned in Target WasteLands either way back in 2ed/3eds.

thanks
Fatum
Actually, the map is in Target:Wastelands, Up the Gravity Well chapter, p. 69. Want a pic?
Magus
I would love one if you could thanks Fatum!
Magus
Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I am specifically looking for where Ares' Helios station is.
Fatum
Well, frankly speaking, the map I sent you is the only one I remember. Maybe some more long-toothed users can help with pointing out the book...
lokii
QUOTE (Magus @ May 22 2011, 05:35 PM) *
Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I am specifically looking for where Ares' Helios station is.
Helios is at Lagrange point 3 of the Sun-Earth system. Thus it orbits the Sun at a position directly opposite that of Earth. The distance of L3 from the Sun is roughly that between Sun and Earth: 1 AU or 150 million kilometers. (t:wl p.84 : "Helios sits at a solar LaGrange point, located directly opposite the earth in its solar orbit.")

QUOTE (Magus @ May 22 2011, 01:53 PM) *
Hey guys, need some help. I recall seeing an image in some 4A ed source/splat book of all the corporate assets in space as well as the la grange points. Does anyone know where this was? I don't recall if it was even mentioned in Target WasteLands either way back in 2ed/3eds.
Target:Wasteland has the most comprehensive treatment of space to date, I believe. So I don't know which 4th edition book you would be referring to. I don't know about the last ones though, something like Corporate Guide maybe.
MJBurrage
See "Space" (Shadowrun Wikia).

I just created it as a place to work on improving "Space" (Sixth World Wiki) while the latter is locked. If anyone adds to it, please include detailed sourcing (book title and page numbers)

P.S. Helios is at the Earth-Sun L3 point, but "Terrestrial L3 point" (or "Terran L3 point") would be better shorthand than the "Solar LaGrange point" used in Target: Wastelands. This is because, while its location is defined by Earth's orbit around the sun; there are LaGrange pints around the Sun for every planet (and around each planet for each moon). There is, for example, a Jovian L3 point defined by Jupiter's orbit, a Martian L3 point defined by Mars' orbit, etc. "Solar LaGrange point" does not tell you which planet's orbit it is based on.

P.P.S. Has anyone ever read anything about the actual "Solar LaGrange points" i.e. those defined by the Sun's orbit in the Milky Way. (At a guess, I would assume other stars make this a moot point, but just wondering.)

See also:
lokii
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 22 2011, 09:34 PM) *
P.S. Helios is at the Earth-Sun L3 point, but "Terrestrial L3 point" (or "Terran L3 point") would be better shorthand than the "Solar LaGrange point" used in Target: Wastelands. This is because, while its location is defined by Earth's orbit around the sun; there are LaGrange pints around the Sun for every planet (and around each planet for each moon). There is, for example, a Jovian L3 point defined by Jupiter's orbit, a Martian L3 point defined by Mars' orbit, etc. "Solar LaGrange point" does not tell you which planet's orbit it is based on.
It's most accurate to name the two bodies of the system under consideration. Lagrange points are a solution of a 3-body problem given specific limiting conditions and do not belong to either body but to the system of both (the third body is a small mass subject to the gravitational field of the other two). That said, abbreviations like Lunar (= Earth-Moon), Jovian (= Sun-Jupiter) etc. are also used. They are just less precise.

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 22 2011, 09:34 PM) *
P.P.S. Has anyone ever read anything about the actual "Solar LaGrange points" i.e. those defined by the Sun's orbit in the Milky Way. (At a guess, I would assume other stars make this a moot point, but just wondering.)
Never thought about it. I guess you could define the stars in the center of the Milky Way as one mass and make a similar calculation. Given the small comparative mass of the sun, the fact that the center mass is actually an n-star system with a ill-defined border and the influence of all the other stars, many of much greater mass than Sol, any results are probably not very meaningful.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (lokii @ May 22 2011, 04:14 PM) *
It's most accurate to name the two bodies of the system under consideration. Lagrange points are a solution of a 3-body problem given specific limiting conditions and do not belong to either body but to the system of both (the third body is a small mass subject to the gravitational field of the other two). That said, abbreviations like Lunar (= Earth-Moon), Jovian (= Sun-Jupiter) etc. are also used. They are just less precise.
No disagreement here, just pointing out that the shorthand used in Target Wastelands was particularly inexact.
Magus
Awesome! thanks everyone, I hope to make my 3 awakened charactes sick. LOL
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Magus @ May 23 2011, 05:27 AM) *
Awesome! thanks everyone, I hope to make my 3 awakened characters sick. LOL

You know, they have doctors to help with such issues... wobble.gif
Magus
Dammit TJ, I am a Doctor not a sorceror!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Magus @ May 23 2011, 08:52 AM) *
Dammit TJ, I am a Doctor not a sorceror!

Heh... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012