Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Researching Exploits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aerospider
Unwired p.96 has rules for researching exploits - a code flaw (or similar) in a specific program that will grant a +2 bonus to hacking and cybercombat tests against it. 'Specific' in this case means brand- and rating- specific.

So has anyone ever thought to take advantage of this? Working on nothing else for the best part of a week to get a +2 bonus for such a limited range of use and opportunity and will only last until the coders find it themselves seems a bit unappealling.

Have I underestimated the utility of this option, or is it just what occupies a hacker as and when confined to a hospital bed between runs?
Yerameyahu
Sometimes you need that +2, I guess. A few days isn't too long, and this is something that can give Logic-based hackers an edge on the script kiddies, also. You can always Rush the Job.
CanRay
When it's Black IC and your brain is on the line, you take every advantage you can get!
Ghost_in_the_System
I think it's the sort of thing that would be great if you have a vendetta against a particular corp, or if you know you'll be doing a serious run against that corp with a good deal of prep time. Research their firewall and IC and maybe their encrypt and data bomb. Makes it all that much easier.

So yeah, a bit of a specialty thing, but it can certainly be useful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012