Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holowear, drones and vehicles?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowWalker
The description for Holowear says it's using trideo holo projectors. If it's doing trideo does that mean it includes sound?

The standard trideo projector doesn't say it includes sound, at least not that I noticed.

The trideo camera on the other hand says it does include sound recording. So does the standard trideo projector include sound?

So if the holowear has more than 50 projectors to cover the metahuman body, how many to cover a drone or vehicle?
What would the cost be?
Yerameyahu
More? smile.gif

Adding sound is pretty trivial, so you can assume it has it whenever you'd want.
Headshot_Joe
I've always assumed that unless a device specifies that it produces sound, that one must subscribe to it to receive it's audio feed through their comlink. That way watching war movies with lots of loud explosions doesn't wake your neighbors at night.

Holowear for drones and vehicles would be cool, especially since you could disguise them as objects similar to their size and shape. There are some drones that would make convincing lawn-mowers, and having a van that could camouflage itself as a large dumpster would be incredibly handy.
KarmaInferno
Except that holoprojections (and AR objects) in SR are pretty obviously "not real".

-k
Fortinbras
I might modify the threshold of 2 depending on what the vehicle is disguised as and at what speed it is moving, but since Chameleon Coating performs the same duties as a Chameleon Suit, I would treat the price & availability in a comparable way.

Make it incomparable with other coatings on the vehicle and cost, say, 500 x Body.
Fair?
Manunancy
- double post -
Manunancy
There's on big problem with projecting an hologram to disguise something : it works by emitting light, which means than as soon as the ambient light dimms, the hologram will stand out like a sore thumb. Chameleon gear hasn't that problem as it's the material that changes it's color rather than an active emission of light.

Of course, if you're in Vegas or a simlar lightshow-style location, it works better since 'just another hologram' makes sense there. In the middle of a country night ora darkened corner of the Barrens, it's the exact opposite.

Thouhg even if it's blatant it's an hologram it will at leat prevent identification of what's under it. Sort of like a ski mask in June. It's obvious you're up to no good, but it's about impossible to tell who (or what) you are.
Fatum
I've always thought that trideo and holograms are two different things, to be completely fair...
ShadowWalker
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 1 2011, 05:05 AM) *
I've always thought that trideo and holograms are two different things, to be completely fair...

SR4A page 51 describes trideo as,

For this more casual form of viewing, there’s trideo—3DTV. The name
its mom calls it when she’s angry is “digital high-definition three-dimensional
holovision,” but most people just call it “trid.” Modern trids
are hyper-real—it’s something of an experience to project a dinosaur
action-sim, war movie, or sexy thriller right into your living room.

So it is holograms, with sound.

The question is, does the Holo Projector on page 329 of SR4A include sound.

As for ambient lighting and such there is no reason why the system could not detect this and compensate. If it didn't than watching it in your living room would look different if done during the day as opposed to night, or having light shone in your window as a car went past. But yes there is a test to see if someone is fooled or not. Perception + Intuition (2). Not great, but I see no reason why given enough projectors with overlap, good programming and artists that it couldn't be improved. Artisan test to improve the difficulty to detect it as a holo gram?
Fortinbras
QUOTE (ShadowWalker @ Jun 1 2011, 12:41 PM) *
Artisan test to improve the difficulty to detect it as a holo gram?

If it were a static image, maybe. But, as you said, the program is constantly changing due to lighting conditions and what not. The situations would be too varied to be able to craft every conceivable image.
I might make it based off of the Pilot program running it. That determines how clear an image can be in VR, but I think the threshold test of 2 is pretty reasonable. Most NPCs won't have the kind of Perception to notice it often anyway.
ShadowWalker
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 1 2011, 05:29 PM) *
If it were a static image, maybe. But, as you said, the program is constantly changing due to lighting conditions and what not. The situations would be too varied to be able to craft every conceivable image.
I might make it based off of the Pilot program running it. That determines how clear an image can be in VR, but I think the threshold test of 2 is pretty reasonable. Most NPCs won't have the kind of Perception to notice it often anyway.

umm, that's what 3d models and rendering is for? You wouldn't be using static images, you would be using wire frame 3d models, unless of course they would have come up with something better by 2073.
I would think that these would be created with the artisan skill. The better the artisan the better it should look.
Fortinbras
You said the System was the one detecting and compensating for ambient light and speed change. If that is the case, then the System is the thing changing the hologram for all circumstances. While the artisan may have made the initial outline, the level of detail is limited by systems' Sensor and processing power to determine how well it adapts to those changes.
I might allow for an Artisan check for static images, but if the image is always changing in the moving vehicle or a parked vehicle adapting to constantly changing surroundings(e.g reflections in the windshield) then I would limit it to the 2 threshold to represent the limitations holoware has as described in Attitude.

A skilled programmer might be able to make a perfect looking car, but he can't render that same image for every circumstance that image would react to in an ever shifting shadowrun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012