Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Land around Seattle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Malbur
Hey folks, I tried to do a preliminary search for info about the lands around Seattle (and across the bay) and wasn't able to find much. Is the surrounding country just abandoned in the SR universe? Is it just so incredibly boring that nothing ever happens there? Whats the deal with the regions immediately surrounding Seattle? Thanks for the help, and I feel bad repeatedly asking these newbish questions on the setting frown.gif.
Ghost_in_the_System
Mmm, I know there are the barrens, which are basically an oversized equivalent of slums. There are also other areas like tacoma and such which I guess you might consider something like suburbs.

Other than that, don't know a whole lot. And it isn't that stuff doesn't happen in those areas, it is just that Seattle doesn't tend to care much.
Malbur
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 3 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Mmm, I know there are the barrens, which are basically an oversized equivalent of slums. There are also other areas like tacoma and such which I guess you might consider something like suburbs.

Ahh I was including Tacoma and the Barrens as they have story for them... I really meant more for across the bay (West) and maybe to the North. to the South and East is Barrens because of Mt. Ranier and slums and such. Sorry I didn't clarify there... my fault.
Ghost_in_the_System
Oh, well, for that stuff I'd pull up a map of the areas you're asking about and see what is there now. The same or similar things are likely to exist there in SR.
BishopMcQ
Malbur--Which areas are you looking for? The San Juans, Bremerton, East of Stevens Pass... If you hit me with a list of specifics I can tell you what I know and what I can find in books.
Wakshaani
Well, the lands around Seattle (As I grab my Shadowruin 1st ed) are all Salish-Sidhe territory. Makah across the bay, Salis due west, southwest, and western south, Sinsearach taking up eastern south, southeast, and east, with Cascade Cro taking east, northeast, and north. (Cascade Ork territory is a tad further away, through Crow turf)

Aside from the Salish-Sidhe taking over Tsimshin, they haven't really been focused on much at all. Heck, I'm still wondering how well the SInsearach get along with Tir Tairngire... they;re really back-to-nature shaman types, so can't really jive with the Tir view of high tech and hermetic, but, they're still Elves from the NAN, so, you'd think there'd be crossover.

Aside from the occasional adventure that has the runners peek out of Seattle for a nearby run, they just don't really *do* anything by and large.

Who knows? Maybe they'll have the Makah break out a Trident sub and wave some nukes at Aztlan, just to make people go, "Oh yeah! Those guys exist!"
Blade
It's full of evergreen forests with the occasional Salish village (some of them might look like the US villages they were before it became Salish territory, other might have a different more "back to nature" style). Except around Mt Rainier where it's mostly burned trees and volcanic ashes.

Something like this wink.gif
Fatum
Well, the info you're looking for is it the Seattle books. Basically, Seattle sprawl is a piece of UCAS soil among the Salish-Sidhe territory; I believe there's a write-up of specific tribes nearby in the... third edition book, was it?
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (Malbur @ Jun 2 2011, 11:13 PM) *
Whats the deal with the regions immediately surrounding Seattle?

There's the downtown core, then a few rings of suburbs, then the barrens (Redmond and Pallyup). That's the bulk of the metroplex. Outside of that there's a few smaller towns and freeways that fan-out (look at google-maps for a current version - the 2072 version should be quite similar). Outside of -that- there's the dense wilderness of the pacific northwest. The UCAS territory ends there, outside of that it's all Native-American land.

Also, don't forget Mt. Rainier is quite close, a fine place for any mad-scientist to hole-up and build some sort of weather-control machine.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 2 2011, 10:51 PM) *
Well, the lands around Seattle (As I grab my Shadowruin 1st ed) are all Salish-Sidhe territory. Makah across the bay, Salis due west, southwest, and western south, Sinsearach taking up eastern south, southeast, and east, with Cascade Cro taking east, northeast, and north. (Cascade Ork territory is a tad further away, through Crow turf)

Aside from the Salish-Sidhe taking over Tsimshin, they haven't really been focused on much at all. Heck, I'm still wondering how well the SInsearach get along with Tir Tairngire... they;re really back-to-nature shaman types, so can't really jive with the Tir view of high tech and hermetic, but, they're still Elves from the NAN, so, you'd think there'd be crossover.

Aside from the occasional adventure that has the runners peek out of Seattle for a nearby run, they just don't really *do* anything by and large.

Who knows? Maybe they'll have the Makah break out a Trident sub and wave some nukes at Aztlan, just to make people go, "Oh yeah! Those guys exist!"

That pretty much matches the pictures in my head.
Fatum
QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ Jun 4 2011, 01:25 AM) *
There's the downtown core, then a few rings of suburbs, then the barrens (Redmond and Pallyup). That's the bulk of the metroplex. Outside of that there's a few smaller towns and freeways that fan-out (look at google-maps for a current version - the 2072 version should be quite similar). Outside of -that- there's the dense wilderness of the pacific northwest. The UCAS territory ends there, outside of that it's all Native-American land.

Also, don't forget Mt. Rainier is quite close, a fine place for any mad-scientist to hole-up and build some sort of weather-control machine.
You make it sound almost like the highways are not NAN territory; but they, in fact, of course are. So crossing from the metroplex into the wilderness requires either a visa and a border check, or a skilled guide and a border run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012