Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Rape your Soul
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eyeless Blond
A question for all the Dumpshock gurus out there: what are, say, the top five most essential pieces of cyberware for someone who plans on running point or a shadowrun team? Or, rather, if you're building a guy using A Priority for Resources who needs to be able to survive being shot at alot, and be able to shoot back pretty well when he needs to, what would you put into his augmentations? We'll leave out the Smartlink systems, because those are almost a given, but what else?

(Edit: addition 9:10)
Hm. So in general it seems go for reaction/initiative boosts first, then Bod and eyes, then Str and Quik. Smartlink of course is pretty much required, as I thought. 'kay.

Now for the specifics. I'm trying to create the ultimate mundane combat medic. I'm looking for a guy who can walk into the middle of a combat zone and provide covering fire while putting a buddy's intestines back together (Biotech(First Aid) 5(7)). He should be able to do the tanking theng as well, but the medic thing is a bit more important. What would you guys suggest? I was thinking a cyberarm with a rating 6 medkit, knowsofts, and chem analyzers inside, but so many things start becoming incompatible when you start replacing body parts. What would you guys suggest?
Shockwave_IIc
Wires for the easy of upgrading, Sheathing for the impact/ body, and flechette thing. Eyes/ ears (senseware really), oh and Lacing (personal fav cermanic).

If you're adding bioware, either trauma damp or damage comps (i know they can both be taken (but not a start if you take the recomendation)), toner is good.
Drain Brain
That's actually quite a tough question for me, since I tend to stay away from Sam types in the traditional sense - mine tend to be softer than the stereotype. I guess, after the Smartlink, that the top five would be:

Wired/Boosted Reflexes or some form of reaction enhancer.

Bone lacing of some sort. The higher ends give quite good protection bonuses, as well as upgrading "physical" attacks to "proper" damage rather than stun.

Cyberspur. It's almost universal in my cybered characters. Even if its seldom used, it can be a useful weapon as well as (shock horror) a tool...

Eye Modifications. Top Mods this week are Flare Comp, Low Light, Thermo and the image link. The last also reduces cost of Smartlinks as it takes the place of the Eye Display.

For the last thing, I'd have to say Datajack. I know that there are other worthy items - some more combat oriented - and I'd like to say dermal armour, but the ubiquitous datajack is just so darn useful to everyone

Well, that's my point-zero-one...
Tziluthi
Well, IMHO it's Wired Reflexes, cybereyes with thermographics, low-light and flare comp, dermal sheathing, and muscle replacement. That'll get you a pretty generic, but tough, meatshield.
sidartha
I'm presuming that you have Man and Machine, the new cyberwear book.
#1 Dermal Sheath Level 3. cyber +4 Bod
#2 Enhanced Articulation. biowear +1 to all physical rolls
#3 Muscle Toner Level 4. bio +4 Quickness
#4 Superthyroid. bio +1 Bod, Qkns, Str
#5 Ceramic Bone lacing. cyber +2 Bod +3 Str to unarmed, undetectable by MAD
#6 trauma Dampener. cyber Less damage taken
#7 Speed Enhancment. either boosted or wired reflexes but get as much as you can afford.
Basically, speed is king cause as I've said he who goes first, acts without wound penaltys. after that get the above in what ever priority you wish(the order above is however they came into my mind). The least nessesary things are the trauma D and the Bone Lacing.
In My Most Humble and Expert Opinion nyahnyah.gif
Grey
#1 most important is the Smartlink 2. -2 Tn to shooting and only +2 TN for called shots.

Wired/Boosted Reflexes for sure.

Bone lacing. Even plastic gives you +2 power to unarmed hits.

Eye mods, Flare Comp, Low Light, Thermo and Mag 3. I can't believe no one mentioned Mag 3.
Tziluthi
...and Mag 3. I can't believe no one mentioned Mag 3.

I was thinking about it, but usually street sams will have a smartlink-2, and probably a rangefinder, so it isn't extremely important.
Ancient History
1) Smartgun Link
Offensive: Take out opposing threats easier, hence faster.

2) Bone Lacing/Orthoskin
Defensive/Offensive: Take hits harder, last longer. In a pinch, you're never unarmed.

3) Reaction Enhancer
Defensive/Offensive: Solid reaction boost is better in surprise situations than variable wired reflexes edgieness; act before your opponents(defensive), hit your opponents first (offensive)

4) Platelet Factory/Trauma Dampner
Defensive: Less damage per hit, last longer.

5) Cerebral Booster/Encephalon
Defensive/Utilitarian: High Intelligence effects reaction, and the Task Pool often proves useful for performing under dangerous circumstances.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Grey)
Eye mods, Flare Comp, Low Light, Thermo and Mag 3. I can't believe no one mentioned Mag 3.

Fall under senseware (in my book anyhow)

Which broken down is....
Flare comp, Eye lights (never leave home with them), Thermo, low light and electronic mag 3.

Spatial recongniser, High frequency, Dampner and balance aug. Select sound filter if you have the cash.
A Clockwork Lime
With unlimited resources:

Cybereyes with the works (so you can know when an opponent is around).
Dermal Sheath 1 (2 and 3 aren't worth the Essence).
Smartlink-2 Subsystems with Rangefinder.
Tactical Computer linked to all your senses and most of the enhanced Cybereye ones (extra Combat Pool = Good).
Wired Reflexes 3, Beta, with at least two Essence Reduction surgical options.

Unlimited Resources + Bioware:

Enhanced Articulation.
Mnemonic Enhancer 3 for the bonus Knowledge and Language points plus easier acquisition of skills in the future.
Muscle Toner 4.
Smartlink-2 with Rangefinder.
Wired Reflexes 3, Beta, with Essence Reduction 2.

Limited Resources + Bioware:

Bone Lacing, Plastic.
Boosted Reflexes 1/Synaptic Accelerator 1 combo.
Enhanced Articulation, Used.
Dermal Sheath 1, Alpha Used.
Smartlink-2 with Rangefinder.

Of course it all really depends on the exact role you'll be playing. "Pointman" isn't very specific.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. So in general go for reaction/initiative first, then Bod and eyes, then Str and Quik. Smartlink of course is pretty much required, as I thought. 'kay.

Now for the specifics. I'm trying to create the ultimate mundane combat medic. I'm looking for a guy who can walk into the middle of a combat zone and provide covering fire while putting a buddy's intestines back together (Biotech(First Aid) 5(7)). He should be able to do the tanking theng as well, but the medic thing is a bit more important. What would you guys suggest? I was thinking a cyberarm with a rating 6 medkit, knowsofts, and chem analyzers inside, but so many things start becoming incompatible when you start replacing body parts. What would you guys suggest?
Capt. Dave
Muscle Toner - High quickness, more speed, more armor.
Muscle Augmentation
Guardian Angel Biomonitor - I just love the darn thing.
Synaptic Accelerator + Boosted Reflexes 3 - "Speed kills"
Enhanced Articulation - +1 to a lot of a sam's vital skills, plus +1 to reaction
Cerebral Booster 2
Suprathyroid - Great all-around boost. Really cheap for the gain
Of course senseware.
I'd say SMII, but I like to play Ambidexterous characters, so...

EDIT - just watch the dermal stuff, bone lacing, and muscle aug/replacement.
You can have up to two replacements(cyberlimbs) installed with no harm done, over that and the implants begin to lose effectiveness. Mind that a cybertorso and a cyber arm counts as one replacement. So unless you're giving the guy two cyberarms, a cyber torso & skull, you can use anything you want.
Herald of Verjigorm
Keep in mind that natural sight bonuses are better than cybernetic. Bioware counts as natural, so that thermosense organ will give you better heat sense than a thermographic option in a pair of cybereyes.
Sunday_Gamer
No no no... ya gots it all wrong!!

The number one thing a good streetsam needs is simple.

A spell slinger watching his back. =)

No seriously you'll want the "standard package"

Wired 2, ears with dampening and select sound filter, eyes with mag, thermo and flare comp and a smartgun link, the rest is for flavour...if you're worried about getting shot, throw in some armor type cyber, I can't remember what's left after "standard sam package 1"...

But I'd seriously consider getting a mage, it's the funniest thing, it's symbiotic.

The number one thing a sam needs is a mage behind him.
The number one thing a mage needs is a sam in front of him.

Why do you think I never go out without Nova? It's certainly not for the conversation! wink.gif (Hi Nova)

Kong
Glyph
For a combat medic, get microscopic vision, which gives you a -2 TN modifier for close-up work (like first aid). Also spend the extra money to get a Savior medkit instead of just a Rating: 6 standard one - it gives you another -1 TN. Cyberarms under canon rules are really not worth it, though. A duffel bag lets you tote your gear around just as well, and doesn't cost Essense.

Get enhanced articulation - it gives you an extra die for active skills, letting you roll 8 dice for your First Aid test. You might want to get a reflex recorder for the First Aid specialization, too. You want to roll as many dice as possible for First Aid - if you don't get at least one success, all of your complementary skill dice will be useless. The Savior medkit will give you 6 of those, and if you get a knowledge skill like Medicine you could be adding another 6.

For other street sam mods: speed is essential. Go for the Boosted Reflexes/Synaptic Accelerator combo, so you have enough Essense for Dermal Sheath (to get the Body rating up) and Kevlar Bone Lacing (another point of Body, and a point of ballistic armor). On the bioware side, the suprathyroid gland and two points of muscle toner will give you another +1 to Body and up your Quickness by 3 (increasing both Combat Pool and running speed, as well as letting you layer lots of armor).
Zeel De Mort
Reflex recorders can only be bought for combat or physical skills. Something I just noticed recently. Otherwise - good advice for budding medics there!

Task pool would apply to first aid tests though, so if you're really going all out you could get a cerebral booster 2 and encephalon 2.
Eyeless Blond
Savior medkit? Where's that from?
Kanada Ten
Nanoware or Surgery section of Man and Machine for the Savior and Guardian medkits.
A Clockwork Lime
State of the Art: 2063 gives rules and equipment that you'd be interested in, especially as far as carrying your equipment goes.

You'd also be well-advised to take a cybernetic Biomonitor with Diagnosis Processor and a linked Internal Air-Tank (both from Man & Machine) so that you can more easily wade into an environment where gas was used without suffering ill effect. Grab an auto-injector with Antidote-6 or higher in it and link it to your Biomonitor as well. Having your gear coated with Chemical Seal (Cannon Companion) at the highest rating is also highly advised for the same reason. A Chemical Analyzer and Gas Spectrograph, as well as an Olfactory Booster (both also from M&M) is a good idea, too, so that you'd know what you were dealing with in such situations.

Oh, and don't forget to take Chemistry to accompany Medicine and Field Forensics as knowledge skills.
Capt. Dave
To really add to your biotech skill, get a rating 12 or so medkit. You don't get the -1TN that the savior gives you, but you get twice as many dice for your complementary skill roll. At 840 nuyen (after S.I.) It's a steal. The availability's 11 though, so you'd have to get it after character creation.

Heck, add in Aptitude: Biotech while you're at it
blakkie
To toss out an idea i don't see yet: I'm a big fan of ultrasonic sight coupled with IR smoke grenades. Pretty much the best non-magical protection you can get to wade into the middle of a fire-fight. Unless the opponent has ultrasonic themselves (which you can buy countermeasures for as well), they'll be firing blind. Unfortunately doing a First Aid check while in the middle of the cloud won't be optimum, so good tactical placement of the grenade is needed to allow to First Aid without moving the patient first but still have the cloud blocks opponent LOS.

Short of that get Flash-Paks for providing cover to get to the wounded. They are relatively low-tech/low-cost, but the +2 TN they give to opponent attacks (+4 TN if they don't have flare comp) could really save your bacon.

EDITED for clarity.
CardboardArmor
Prioritize when ware loading. You say you want a Medic, right? Init can take a hit on this because odds are you won't have to leap all over the fire-fight like a flea on crack. I'd go Int (Boost it to help out your Biotech), Bod/Quick (Everyone likes to shoot the Medic, chip out so you can take it and throw it right back), 'peripherals' (this is where you load out your eyes, chem-analyzers, and all the shiny things like knowsofts and chipjacks), and Strength can take a dead-last or nothing at all. You'll basically be banking on the fact that nobody gets to you alive enough to need you to worry about having to fight them bare-fisted (or with your favorite point metal/wood/SOTA composite-ceramics stick with an edge or point). It also helps if you go in with the mindset that if your chummers let anyone get that close to their medic, then they probably deserve to die.
Eyeless Blond
But really, what's this guy going to use a chipjack for? Should he chip his gunnery skills? That would kinda suck 'cause he'd lose his considerable Combat Pool (both Int and Quickness are high, and Will's no slouch for a dwarf anyway) He's got a high Int, so Knowsofts aren't really necessary either. I guess I've just never seen the advantage of chipjacks and skillwires and the like. Anyone care to illuminate me on why they're so good?
CardboardArmor
Certainly.

Chipjacks and Skillwires are only ever used for Active Skills and in a sense, they make your Sammie adaptable.

Don't have the karma to spend on every skill you want? Have excess Nuyen after a run (not bloody damn likely...)? Spend it on Activesofts!

Say you want to disarm a bomb. You don't have Demolitions. You can default to Int and hope for the best or you can slot up a Demolitions activesoft and Bam! All of a sudden your body just KNOWS how to take that sucker apart without pasting yourself all over the walls.
toturi
Versatility. Chipped Medicine skill, chipped Parabiology skill, chipped Chemistry skill, chipped Language etc. I've seen mundane medics with skill wires that are very versatile.
Glyph
Even with a 6 Intelligence, a knowsoft link is still a good add-on if you have a datajack already. It's only 0.1 Essense, and you can never have enough knowledge skills.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, true. However, our GM made the big mistake of allowing cultured bioware at character creation. Thus, I have a cerebral booster 2, mnemonic enhancer 3, enhanced articulation, a trauma dampener, and level 4 muscle toner. This gives me lots of cool stuff, but most importantly gives me a Task Pool as well as easy defaulting to Int for knowledge skills.

Sure, I have a bio index of 4.00, but with Quick healer I'm not that bad off. Or is this not wise?
A Clockwork Lime
Where's the "big mistake" in that? Aside from the fact that cerebral bioware (which is what it should have been called) is automatically assumed to be cultured, there's little difference in-game between it and standard bioware. Muscle Toner 4 is, in my opinion, far more obscene than a Cerebral Booster 2 let alone a Sleep Regulator... yet the former is perfectly legal for a starting character whereas the latter two, apparently, aren't.
Arethusa
Wait, there's a specific canon rule against cultured bioware at character creation? I thought that was just wa very common houserule.
Capt. Dave
Cultured bioware is technically equal to betaware, and therefore not allowed in character generation. FanPro adresses this in their FAQ. That being said, I tend to allow it in my games. I agree with A Clockwork Lime, it makes no sense that a character can get Muscle Augmentation 4, Muscle Toner 4, a Suprathyroid gland, and Enhanced Articulation, but not a Sleep Regulator. I understand that it requires a beta clinic to install, but come on...
Glav
I don't happen to have MM right now, but I remember in the old Cybertechnology book (one of my absolute favorite sourcebooks of all time, btw) you could buy some fingertip replacements that had injectors of certain types in them, typically for posion, I'd wager. Instead, you could have cyber-trauma patch fingers: one for antibac, one for, well, any type of medically related drug that you might come by. It would be definately unique and interesting smile.gif
Drain Brain
Sorry to skip back a bit, but to the chipjacks...

They are a common sight amongst my cybered characters. Not least apt here because you can slot your Chemistry expert program here for your Chemical Analyser and Gas Spectrometer (internal versions are more expensive and essence costly) but I always couple my (sometimes multi-slot) chipjack with an Image link and subdermal speakers - you can have maps in your head for perusal, medical textbooks, movies, music (hey, entertainment is for characters too, remember!) and tons of other everyday applications!

Also - and this depends on how your GM views the ware - you can use a blank chip and mentally dictate notes for yourself. For a canon reference I submit the novel "Lone Wolf" where the undercover LS cop puts reports onto chips for drop to a contact at a later date. If you loko at it that way, it's essence friendly, removeable and interchangeable memory!
The White Dwarf
Assuming youre talking about "what 5 would you take at char-gen following canon-rules" Id say the following, in order of importance:

Smartlink-2 w/ Rangefinder-
The direct mathematical impact on your characters success due to having this on your character is so great that Id almost call it broken.

Wired Reflexes 2 w/ Reflex Trigger-
This is the most effecient speed-boost to essence/nuyen ratio item available givin the above restrictions. Its the most bang for your buck, statistically. Also, its high enough up on the speed scale that youll stand a good chance of winning initiative against most adversaries.

Dermal Sheathing 1-
Again, by far, the most effecient defensive advantage you can add to your character. Yes, the higher levels are better, but this is the most bang for your buck. Body, armor, and immunity to flechette is a good thing.

Datajack-
If you cant figure out what sorts of useful things you can do with this lovely device, go read all the rules/gear books again and get back to me. Again, so useful its almost broken.

Cybereyes w/ modifications-
Which mods you add depends on the character, but in general the combat and information gathering advantage they add is very high; especially given their low cost.

If you were to include Bioware, I would place Enchanced Articulation on the list. If you were to ignore the canon char-gen limitations the list would obviously change.
The White Dwarf
Also just a note, based on your mid-thread questions.

Note that Biotech (First Aid) doesnt really need to be that insane to function. All you do is roll against the TN, and a single net success means you succed and the damage is reduced. The rest are just used for reducing time, which while good probably wont do a lot in the midst of combat.

I would suggest the skill Biotech 5 (First Aid 7) and Aptitude: Biotech as your base. No need for any crazy cyber anything. Just grab a Savior Advance Medkit, and now you have 7 dice at -2 TN for first aid, plus 6 complementary dice if your GM does it that way.

Now all you need to do is provide defense. If youre a medic, odds are youll simply do your first action, declare hold till someone is shot, and wait. No need for insane initiative. You just need to be able to soak everything: bullets, chemicals, magic, etc. So wear chem-sealed armor, buy a respirator, make sure your willpower is 5+, and dont skimp on the normal +body +armor defenses.
Nova
QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
The number one thing a sam needs is a mage behind him.
The number one thing a mage needs is a sam in front of him.

Why do you think I never go out without Nova? It's certainly not for the conversation! wink.gif (Hi Nova)

Kong

He's right you know. Kong and I do work wonders together.

Oh, and he's also right about my ability for conversation - so that's 2 right!

Wow. A new record for Sunday...nyahnyah.gif

blakkie
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Also just a note, based on your mid-thread questions.

Note that Biotech (First Aid) doesnt really need to be that insane to function. All you do is roll against the TN, and a single net success means you succed and the damage is reduced. The rest are just used for reducing time, which while good probably wont do a lot in the midst of combat.

I would suggest the skill Biotech 5 (First Aid 7) and Aptitude: Biotech as your base. No need for any crazy cyber anything. Just grab a Savior Advance Medkit, and now you have 7 dice at -2 TN for first aid, plus 6 complementary dice if your GM does it that way.

Now all you need to do is provide defense. If youre a medic, odds are youll simply do your first action, declare hold till someone is shot, and wait. No need for insane initiative. You just need to be able to soak everything: bullets, chemicals, magic, etc. So wear chem-sealed armor, buy a respirator, make sure your willpower is 5+, and dont skimp on the normal +body +armor defenses.

Never underestimate the TN of being able to do FirstAid in the back of a car, traveling at high speed and under fire, using a tire pressure tester, a rubberband, and a McQ's napkin you found in the glovebox.

toturi
QUOTE (blakkie)
Never underestimate the TN of being able to do FirstAid in the back of a car, traveling at high speed and under fire, using a tire pressure tester, a rubberband, and a McQ's napkin you found in the glovebox.

Why get Biotech if you do not have a Medikit?
The Dead Man
Ive always been a fan of the Pain Dampener Bioware (Is that its actual name?) because the picture of it in M&M is just so cool!
Centurion
Yes, you two can pick up nitrogen frozen space embryos WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.
blakkie
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Mar 30 2004, 07:22 AM)

You've never lost a single piece of equipment? Apparently you need to play under a RatBastard™ GM for a while, one that will say things like "the nastly looking Orc in the corner decides to hose you down with his Ingram Valiant as you try to run out the door *roll* *roll* Body Check *quivering roll* Oh, i see you are still alive? To bad he shot you in the back where you have your kit knapsack, lets random roll to see what he hit" vegm.gif
Luke Hardison
You've never lost a single piece of equipment? Apparently you need to play under a RatBastard™ GM for a while, one that will say things like "the nastly looking Orc in the corner decides to hose you down with his Ingram Valiant as you try to run out the door *roll* *roll* Body Check *quivering roll* Oh, i see you are still alive? To bad he shot you in the back where you have your kit knapsack, lets random roll to see what he hit" 

Which also reminds me of the first combat medic one of my players made. His SA medkit ran out of supplies the first THREE times in a row he used it to treat light - moderate wounds. I was starting to feel bad for the guy; he started carrying spare supplies around with him.

The task pool provided by the afore mentioned bioware would be available for Biotech, right? Seems like that's an ever more useful investment for our mundane healers.
toturi
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 30 2004, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Mar 30 2004, 07:22 AM)

You've never lost a single piece of equipment? Apparently you need to play under a RatBastard™ GM for a while, one that will say things like "the nastly looking Orc in the corner decides to hose you down with his Ingram Valiant as you try to run out the door *roll* *roll* Body Check *quivering roll* Oh, i see you are still alive? To bad he shot you in the back where you have your kit knapsack, lets random roll to see what he hit" vegm.gif

Allows carry backups. Like as many as you can carry without getting encumbered or run out of space in your pockets. What are you? Amateurs?
blakkie
QUOTE (toturi)
Allows carry backups. Like as many as you can carry without getting encumbered or run out of space in your pockets. What are you? Amateurs?

...and when you find yourself hanging by the legs, naked from a 6th story balcony while you try to patch together your buddy on the 5th story balcony, and fail your FirstAid check don't come crying to me. wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
Well that's the problem. Those things weigh 4-10 kilos apiece, so it's hard to carry around more than one without having to give up something important, like your body armor.
Chance359
1: Wired Reflexes 2 w/ trigger
2: Smartlink 2
3: Plastic Bone Lacing
4: Cybereyes w/ Eye light, Flare Compensation, and Low light vision
5: Muscle replacement 1
Modesitt
To really add to your biotech skill, get a rating 12 or so medkit. You don't get the -1TN that the savior gives you, but you get twice as many dice for your complementary skill roll. At 840 nuyen (after S.I.) It's a steal. The availability's 11 though, so you'd have to get it after character creation.

The max rating on a medkit is 6.

Pg 136 M&M, right column, 8th paragraph.

QUOTE ("M&M")

Max Rating: The maximum rating of medical gear available to players is 6.

Note that in the 5th paragraph of the right column on that page, they refer to medical kits as medical gear.

If you allowed characters to have medkits greater than 6, there would be little reason for players to be a medic. If you don't have ANY biotech, you use the kits rating for your skill, but if you have even 1 biotech, the rating is complementary dice. We encountered this on our last run. I had a Savior medical kit and had suffered a wound to my back. One player had Biotech 3(We had a Mage...but he quit) and another 0. Because the kit acts as your skill if you don't have it, I would have been better letting the person WITH NO MEDICAL TRAINING perform first aid on me with that kit than the one with some training because he would have been rolling 6 dice.

I haven't given it much thought, but my personal off-the-cuff fix that I intend to propose to the GM when I see him next: Medical kits add their rating to your biotech skill for the purposes of first aid. If you don't have biotech, roll the rating on its own, but with a +2 TN modifier. Clinics add their rating to all biotech rolls, medicine, and maybe some of the related tests like Electronics(cybernetics), and hospitals add their Rating*2 to all biotech, medicine, and related tests. The maximum amount of bonus dice a clinic or hospital can give you is equal to your Biotech skill.

On second thought, I might hammer out some more details on a revised system of dealing with medical stuff in SR in another thread in a day or two.

Oh yeah, I gotta be on topic and stuff.

#1. Smartlink. Smartlink-2 if available, but a Smartlink is by far the most important piece of gear any samurai can ever get his hands on.

#2. Wired Reflexes 2 or something that results in the same level of bonuses to init. The critical part about this is that for a serious gun bunny you must get your initative to the point that you are guaranteed 2 actions even if you roll all 1's for init. That's really the only thing that matters. Example, 4 int, 4 quickness gives 4 reaction, add wired reflexes 2 to give you 8 reaction, you roll 3 init dice and therefore have a minimum init every pass of 11.

#3. Dermal Sheath 1, NOT 2 or more. Dermal sheath 1 is one of the best cyberware deals in SR - You get +2 body, +1 impact, and for just .7 essence and 24,000 nuyen. Dermal Sheath 2 is a total kick in the balls, you pay another .7 more essence and 36,000 more nuyen for +1 body. Dermal Sheath 3 would really only be useful for some fringe case chars, like a troll whose only purpose in life is to get his Body as high as possible or concept characters that are dedicated to boosting their Impact high. If you want more body than that, don't go for higher levels of dermal sheath, go for plastic bone lacing.

#4. Cybereyes with low light and thermal. Low light is priceless both in combat and for noticing details. Thermal lets you abuse smoke in combat. The final .1 freebies can be anything you want really. I'm personally fond of making it all alpha and adding eyelights to make most darkness mods go away.

#5. A datajack. A datajack is the ultimate in utility. No cybernetic character should be without one if they can help it. Add a knowsoft link to it if possible.

Honorable mentions are Enhanced Articulation because of it adding 1 die to almost everything you do and the Trauma Dampner because you really don't realize just how many tasks use Light Stun damage to simulate exhaustion until you start looking for it.
The White Dwarf
Modesit, we use a fix u might like, but only when it really starts to screw the game. Lots of times people take biotech anyway so its nbd. Since the kit is only information not application (ie, the character still has to do stuff, the kit just yells at him) we only let you use the medkits skill on moderate or lights. Anyone can apply band aids (light) and with coaching could probably handle something a bit worse (moderate). But if you get hit with a shotgun (serious) no video screen instructions will save you without someone with knowhow.
Smiley
Wired reflexes + Muscle toner (gotta be fast; you act more and you can armor more)

Muscle augmentaion (gotta be strong; you can carry more and you do more damage when you get down to fisticuffs)

Smartlink II (gotta shoot straight)

Enhanced articulation (+1 dice to just about anything. 'Nuff said.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012