Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Idea I've had for a while (I even have a background story!)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bushw4cker
Jeremiah sat at the private booth drinking his glass of Chateau Montrose, he liked to think he had a refined palate, but he honestly couldn’t tell the difference between the hundred nuyen a glass wine, and the drek they served the rest of the clientele. A familiar figure came in and sat down across from him.
“This is a private booth, how did you get in here?” Jeremiah asked. Not that this new companion was completely unexpected.
“Oh Dante and I go way back. Anyways, is that how you greet an old friend?” The man asked.
“Sam, we were college roommates, over twenty years ago, besides I don’t think it would be wise for either of us to be seen talking to each other.”
“Don’t be so paranoid, I’ve used this place hundreds of times for business, there are few places in Seattle secure as Hell.”
“I wonder what kind of business?” Jeremiah sarcastically replied.
“The deniable kind, and don’t pull that holier than thou shit with me, I know for a fact some of the shadier business you have been involved in.”Sam sighed. “What happened to us, we used to be good friends, remember that Super Brawl Party we went to?”
“That was before you went to work for the Wyrm, and no, I didn’t forget.”
Sam ordered a Hell’s Fire (Vodka, 151 Rum, Club Soda, and Tabasco sauce). The two old acquaintances began talking over drinks, and soon the discussion came around to business again.
“I hear you’re moving up in the corporation, in charge of quite a few souls now.” Sam said.
“Yeah, you should have stayed with the corporation. You don’t get the kind of loyalty from your S-K employees that I’m getting at Evo. I have this one guy working Matrix Security. He’s was recently transferred from Europe, he’s never been late, never missed a day of work. We haven’t had a single intrusion since he was transferred here. It’s not like he’s guarding anything of importance but still, to not have any compromises to our matrix is pretty amazing. I’m told he takes any attempts on the Evo system quite personally. I think we could ask for his first born and not get any complaints. In fact let me show you, watch this.” Joe sends a mental command into his commlink, and an AR display poped up, with a window showing a Caucasian male sitting at a security desk.
“Hello Job.” Jeremiah’s voice echoed though a speaker in the security room.
“Hey Boss, what can I do for you?” Job asked.
“I need you to work a double tonight.” Jeremiah said.
“Sure Boss.” Job replied
“And I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to deny your request off for next week, we really need you to make sure the system is safe during the update.” Jeremiah said apologetically.
“OK boss, no problem.” Job replies.
“Thanks Job, keep up the good work.” The window vanishes.
“So what’s your point?” Sam asks.
“He had plans tonight for his anniversary, and he had requested off next week almost a year ago, to take a family vacation to Israel. I’ve never seen anyone so loyal to the corporation.” Jeremiah said laughing to himself.
“I’m not impressed. The corporation provides everything he needs He gets in paid in corporate script, that he can only spend at Evo Corp. He buys all of his clothing, food, and any other necessities from the corporation. His home is provided by Evo. He probably met his wife though Evo. Everything he knows is the Corporation. He’s only loyal because it’s all he knows. I bet, you take that and everything that comes with it away, I could have him running the shadows against Evo in a year.” Sam said.
“You think so? Want to make a little wager?” Jeremiah asked
The Devil smiled.

Job updated his MetaFace status “Another day, working at Best Corporation Ever.” He got off the train, with a mental command checked the time. 6:32:05AM. Twenty eight minutes early. He thought he might as well grab a donut and coffee in the employee café before work. Walking to the front entrance, Job waved his hand in front of the proxy sensor, his employee badge a virtual representation in AR.
”ACCESS DENIED!”
“What?” Job exclaimed, as he tried again
”ACCESS DENIED!”
Must be the nexus update Job thought to himself. He pulled up his supervisor’s comm number and sent a mental command to call him. The call went straight to message system. “Hi Steve, this is Job, the door isn’t letting me proxy into the building, I’m waiting outside.”
A flashing icon in his right cyber-eye, showed Job he had a message from his wife. He mentally clicked the icon to open the message. “This whole time I thought you were just working late, and I find out you’ve been whoring around, we are though.” An icon that resembled his wife, only skinnier and younger, shouted at him in AR.
This day couldn’t get any worse.
He didn’t notice the Lone Star squad car, until he heard the doors slam shut and a pair of officers exited the vehicle. A uniformed female ork, and male human started walking towards him.
“Morning, Officers.” Job put on his best smile.
“SIN please.” The male officer asked.
“Of course, is there a problem, officers?” He mentally sent his identification to the officer’s PAN.
After a few seconds, the male officer responds “Now there is. This SIN is a fake.”
“What? Is this some kind of Joke? It’s the same SIN I’ve had my whole life.” Job said, he voice raising a little.
“Don’t worry sir, this happens all the time, you just need to come down to the station and we’ll straighten this out right away.” said the officer, using his best mock apologetic tone.
“Oh thank god, you really had me worried there for a sec.” Job said, obviously relieved.
“Yeah just come with us and we’re going to get you a brand new SIN.” The officers smiled at each other.
“WHAT?! I have a SIN already. You mean you’re going to find out why mines coming up as being fake right?” Job pleaded. “You can’t do this, I’m an Evo citizen!” Job exclaimed.
The Lone Star officers look at each other and the Ork says “Looks like we have another criminal trying to resist arrest” The officers draw their tasers.
“It’s always more fun when their SINless.” The male officer said.
The female ork cop nodded in agreement.

Name: Job
Race: Human
Ethnicity: Jewish

Attributes (265BP)
Body 2
Agility 2
Reaction 2
Strength 2
Charisma 4
Intuition 3
Logic 4
Willpower 7
Edge 6
Essence 5.02
Initiative 5
Initiative Passes 1
Resonance 3

Positive Qualities (35BP)
Exceptional Willpower 20
Technomancer (Technoshaman) 5
Paragon (IC) 5
+2 dice to all Matrix Damage Resistance
Tests except Fading. +1 die to Paladin sprites
Analytical Mind 5

Negative Qualities (35BP)
Mild Media Junkie 5
Hung Out to Dry 10
SINner (Criminal SIN) 10
Enemy 10

Cyberware (Alpha Grade) (65500)
Datajack
Commlink
Sim Module
Math SPU
Cybereyes 2
Thermographic Low Light
Flare Comp Vision E-3
Cyberears 1
Audio E-3 Damper
Bioware
(Alpha Grade)
Sleep Regulator

Skills (110BP) Rating
Perception 4
Computer (Analyze +2) 4
Data Search (Corporate +2) 2
Software 2
Hardware 2
Hacking 3
Cybercombat (Personas+2) 3
Electronic Warfare 2
Etiquette (Corporate +2) 2
Compiling (Paladin Sprites +2) 1

Knowledge Skills (6BP) Rating
Evo Corporation 6
Economics 2
Security Procedures (Evo +2) 3
Security Design (Matrix +2) 4

Language Skills Rating
English N
Japanese 3
Russian 2
Hebrew 1
Iconography 2
Matrix Jargon 2

Gear (135¥)
MetaTribe Suit
Long Haul Dose
1D6 x 10¥

Internal Commlink
Novatech Airware w/ Iris Orb OS (2750¥)
Response-3 System-3
Signal-3 Firewall-3
Optimized (Analyze)
Resident Program (Analyze-6)
Resident Program (Encrypt-6)
ARC-Terminate Connection

Common Use Programs (2600¥)
*Analyze-6
Command-3
*Encrypt-6
Browse-3
Edit-3
Scan-3
*(Ergonomic Opt-3)Program Options

Agent-3 (3500¥)
Expert Defense-1

Hacking Programs (10500¥)
Armor-3
Attack-3
Biofeed-3
Track-3
Blackout-3
Exploit-3
Stealth-3

Contacts Type Location Connection Loyalty
Jane Wife Unknown 1 1

Enemy Type Location Connection Incidence
Sameal Saeder-Krupp Mr. Johnson Downtown Seattle 5 5

Street Lifestyle
Magus
Im confused. why a Mancer? You have no Complex Forms. You have really killed your resonance with Internal Link, which you really dont need, and in order to use Hacker Programs you have to buy the Cracking/Computer skills twice. Once for your mancer skills and once for your Hacker Skills,

Why not jsut make him a straight up Hacker and not worry about Resonance and all?
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (Magus @ Jun 14 2011, 09:45 AM) *
Im confused. why a Mancer? You have no Complex Forms. You have really killed your resonance with Internal Link, which you really dont need, and in order to use Hacker Programs you have to buy the Cracking/Computer skills twice. Once for your mancer skills and once for your Hacker Skills,

Why not jsut make him a straight up Hacker and not worry about Resonance and all?

Because it fits the story, If I wanted really powerful character, I wouldn't have taken any specializations, I would never max out an attribute, and I could have gotten a much better commlink or no commlink at all. I tried to take the abilities that made sense to me. He's a technomancer who just emerged, that's why he has the ware. It's actually just a coincidence that it manages to be .98 essence (Evo employees are the most Cybered of any corp, that's why he has Alpha-ware.) Besides if he was too skilled, or showed Technomancer abilities, I don't think most corps would be keen on losing that employee.
mister__joshua
Not really a comment on the character, but I really liked the story! Reminds me of that film (can't remember the name) about the stock market broker who's bosses bet 1$ they can ruin, and have a nobody take his place. Got Jamie Lee Curtis, Eddie Murphy and Kevin Kline in, I think.
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jun 14 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Not really a comment on the character, but I really liked the story! Reminds me of that film (can't remember the name) about the stock market broker who's bosses bet 1$ they can ruin, and have a nobody take his place. Got Jamie Lee Curtis, Eddie Murphy and Kevin Kline in, I think.

Thank you ) Actually the story is a bit older then that movie, it's from the Book of Job (Bible), where God makes a bet with the Devil. And the movie your thinking of is Trading Places.
Makki
very nice reason to be a shadow runner.
but, shouldn't having the enemy quality assume, that you know of your enemy?
I would drop the TM as well, just because they're really bad unless it's a high karma group...
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 14 2011, 03:06 PM) *
very nice reason to be a shadow runner.
but, shouldn't having the enemy quality assume, that you know of your enemy?
I would drop the TM as well, just because they're really bad unless it's a high karma group...

Can an enemy be a contact as well? I don't think that Enemy Negative Quality necessarily means that you know your enemy. I just reread Runner's Companion book on Enemies and it doesn't say that PC would have to know their enemy. In fact, you can Enemy Factions working against you, so I assume you wouldn't have to know your enemy.
I took the Technomancer Quality mainly for the Intrusion Countermeasure Paragon, because I thought it totally fit the character. He would be a sort of an Aspected Technomancer, where he only uses Compiling to summon Sprites to help him.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jun 14 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Thank you ) Actually the story is a bit older then that movie, it's from the Book of Job (Bible), where God makes a bet with the Devil. And the movie your thinking of is Trading Places.

Ah yes. I know the one. I've never associated that with Trading Placed before though. I wonder if it was their inspiration. The story of Job never struck me so much as a bet, as that implied that God had a chance of losing. It was more proving a point about faithfulness. Still, to transplant it to the Shadowrun setting is an intereting idea. Have you thought already about what the character will do? Will he ever run against Evo? Or are you just gonna see how he feels at the time
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jun 14 2011, 03:55 PM) *
Ah yes. I know the one. I've never associated that with Trading Placed before though. I wonder if it was their inspiration. The story of Job never struck me so much as a bet, as that implied that God had a chance of losing. It was more proving a point about faithfulness. Still, to transplant it to the Shadowrun setting is an intereting idea. Have you thought already about what the character will do? Will he ever run against Evo? Or are you just gonna see how he feels at the time

I don't know yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012