Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Artificial Intelligence (Jack of all Trades)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
She may not be completely optimised (being more interested in the fluff than the rules) but I would like her to be moderatly competant so any feedback would be great!

I see her as a rigger and secondary hacker/samurai so she probably doesn't excel in any of them but still...

Name: Unknown
Alias: Shrike
Metatype: AI
Sex: Female
Nationality: None
Matrix Icon:
Reality Filter:
Lifestyle: Low
Nuyen: 11,300 ¥
Karma Earned: 0
Karma Spent: 0
Street Cred: 0
BPs Spent
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities / Abilities / Inherent Programs
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Resources and Gear
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sketch: Shrike

Background Work in progress
[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
I've always been an advocate of strong fluff being more important than rules, which is why I'm a fan of AI. I can't recall off the top of my head, and my books are elsewhere at the moment (I'm trying to get my head back into an online routine again, so I'm surfing the forums at work), but are Pilot Origin and eGhost compatible? Could be something mixed up with my memory, but I thought one was a person trapped in the digital, another a program that evolved its own intelligence? Of course the two could be (and I'm not sure, but it seems like here it's the case), a Rigger who was more at home in a drone than otherwise getting seperated from the meat.

Regardless, this looks like a good overall build. The only niggling little question in my head (rules-wise) is: doesn't Pilot Origin (or some aspect of being an AI), mean the character would have access to the Drone's Pilot rating, thus eliminating the need for the relevant skill?
Fortinbras
Your character sketch link is broken. Try here
Aria
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 14 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Your character sketch link is broken. Try here

Thanks smile.gif

@DH, pilot origin lvl 2 allows for use of autosofts which is why I didn't take it (as I'm not strictly looking for a drone AI, although it might have made for a cheaper build)...and the eGhost flaw is actually nasty because it gets rid of the inherent programs which are such an important part of AIs being half way decent at hacking (they seem much worse than a dedicated hacker to me which makes no sense but ah well nyahnyah.gif). Technically I would guess they are mutually exclusive as they are meant to represent AI origin...(?)
ravensoracle
Only thing I see is the fluff says your an e-ghost and was once human. Shouldn't that mean you need to take the crunch quality of e-ghost to match fluff with rules.
Digital Heroin
I don't recall any explicit rule stating that the two were mutually exclusive. In a society where people are ever more integrated, it's only natural that someone who spends a good deal of time jumped into drones could feel more comfortable in one than in their fleshy meat bag.
Yerameyahu
If you want to get technical, Piloting Origin means you were literally a Pilot program, while e-ghost means you were literally a metahuman. But, no need to get technical. smile.gif
Digital Heroin
"The AI’s origin is (or is related to) that of a drone or vehicle
pilot program."

For the sake of working the concept, I'd say even interfacing with a drone at the time of being eGhosted would count as related to, but I'm a liberal when it comes to interpretations. Rule of cool, for me.
Yerameyahu
Definitely a big stretch, but we all agree that it doesn't matter. smile.gif The origins of AI and especially e-ghosts is hardly understood perfectly.
ravensoracle
Nothing saying you can't take both, one is a negative and one a positive. That would account for A e-ghost that was a rigging something at the time. Rule of Cool is the way to go, of course. But some may say the inherent programs aren't alllowed at chargen for e-ghosts and taking pilot origin is a way of skirting the rules.

Anyway just thought I would bring it up. It's not that big of deal to me but to some it is.
Yerameyahu
*shrug* You get no inherent programs, but you can use autosofts (10 BP version). Is that even related? Autosofts aren't like inherent programs.

I don't buy the 'rigging when killed' fluff, but fluff doesn't matter. smile.gif
ravensoracle
I hate posting again so soon but a thought occured to me looking over your sheet. You already bought the programs you have as software as well as inherant. So maybe you can take the Negative quality and that will let you get a black market pipeline for Matrix gear and software.
PoliteMan
Durn double post.
PoliteMan
Hmm, One thing to consider, although it may not fit your fluff.

Consider getting the second level of Piloting Origin. It lets you use drone autosofts, which is awesome because there's a drone autosoft for technical skills. You have a lot of necessary skills at very low levels (Software, Data Search) which are fairly important but you're never gonna have the karma to boost them up (since it's all going into inherent programs). You're also missing some fairly important skills (like the mechanics ones) that you'll probably never get. My recommendation would be to focus on a few key skills (say piloting and hacking which you might want beyond rank 4) and having the rest taken care of by autosofts.
Aria
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jun 15 2011, 11:15 AM) *
Hmm, One thing to consider, although it may not fit your fluff.

Consider getting the second level of Piloting Origin. It lets you use drone autosofts, which is awesome because there's a drone autosoft for technical skills. You have a lot of necessary skills at very low levels (Software, Data Search) which are fairly important but you're never gonna have the karma to boost them up (since it's all going into inherent programs). You're also missing some fairly important skills (like the mechanics ones) that you'll probably never get. My recommendation would be to focus on a few key skills (say piloting and hacking which you might want beyond rank 4) and having the rest taken care of by autosofts.

I figured that I wouldn't take it (more for fluff than rules) but have my alternative manservant drone run the autosofts for me...if hackers can use agents to spoof lifestyles I don't see why I can't repair my drones with another drone or patch software with an agent program?!?

Question about the eGhost flaw:
RC p91
Ghost in the Machine
Bonus: 15 BP
The AI’s origin is that of an e-ghost, a metasapient that is, for
all intents and purposes, an imperfect copy of a formerly living
person (p. 170, Unwired). Most e-ghosts are only vaguely aware
of their previous life, remembering most clearly the events leading
to the death of the person in question and perhaps any unfinished
business or injustices left over from that person’s previous life.
Some e-ghosts are aware of their “new” life, while some believe
themselves still alive and trapped in the Matrix.
E-ghosts follow all the same rules as AIs, except that they do
not receive any free inherent programs at character generation.

So presumably I could take the flaw (by dropping another one as I'm maxed out as it is) and then get inherent programs with karma during game play?!? It would take ages and cost more (so what's new?!?) but would fit the concept. The I just need to rename the piloting origin to 'UV node origin' or something that fits - I want it to represent the precursor to the Eclipse Phase transhumanist body swapping thing...

EDIT: Let's just call it 'Body Swap' ...or perhaps the Ego Swap to reference EP? Any other ideas?
Yerameyahu
Yes, AFAIK the intent of e-ghost is only to restrict inherent programs at the start, not forever.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2011, 08:35 PM) *
I figured that I wouldn't take it (more for fluff than rules) but have my alternative manservant drone run the autosofts for me...if hackers can use agents to spoof lifestyles I don't see why I can't repair my drones with another drone or patch software with an agent program?!?

Makes sense.

QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 15 2011, 08:35 PM) *
So presumably I could take the flaw (by dropping another one as I'm maxed out as it is) and then get inherent programs with karma during game play?!? It would take ages and cost more (so what's new?!?) but would fit the concept. The I just need to rename the piloting origin to 'UV node origin' or something that fits - I want it to represent the precursor to the Eclipse Phase transhumanist body swapping thing...

Huh, good catch. Now that I look at it, that's not necessarily a huge penalty, presuming you only have one inherent program you want to max out.

Inherent programs cost 1 karma per rating to upgrade, so getting it up to R3 is just 6 karma and getting it back up to R5 is just 15 karma, not cheap but hardly brutal. Of course, that's pretty brutal if you have 4 inherent programs you want to boost. If you just intend to have one inherent program, there really is no difference between the rest of the inherent programs you have now and a R6 Ergonomic Optimized program, except that the R6 one can have one more option
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012