Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armor Jacket has hit the streets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheWanderingJewels

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W06ILY/ref=as...ASIN=B004W06ILY
KCKitsune
How good is that armor? They seem to be getting good reviews for their other products, but (IMO) that armor lining looked a little thin.
svenftw
Well, it's Type 3A armor, so:

New armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 448 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1470 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 430 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1410 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II].

Basically it means just about any handgun, but rifle rounds will still get through. Companies that make these armors don't lie about the standards and tests, so it's a safe bet that you can trust it in just about any urban situation.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (svenftw @ Jun 16 2011, 09:58 PM) *
Basically it means just about any handgun, but rifle rounds will still get through. Companies that make these armors don't lie about the standards and tests, so it's a safe bet that you can trust it in just about any urban situation.

Depends who you ask, look at dragon scale armor and all the BS surrounding it and possible contracts with the US military.
CanRay
I know what I'm investing in if I ever have to move to the North End...
Jekolmy
It looks to me like just the torso is armored... but then again armoring the arms would make the jacket way too bulky... and besides that jacket maybe looks bulky to begin with compared to say some of the coats i have (with the lining in). But then again I don't have any practical experience in this area either.
CanRay
"I want sleeves on my bullet-proof vest." - Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1
Jekolmy
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 16 2011, 09:03 PM) *
"I want sleeves on my bullet-proof vest." - Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1

Smart man. In the fluff of Shadowrun would the arms of the Armored Jacket be armored? Or is it just representing the torso protection (I've been away from my books for a while)
CanRay
Considering the lack of hit locations... nyahnyah.gif

Honestly, IIRC, unless you're dealing with elite units (SAS train to headshot, and to double-tap with a 9mm to ensure the person stays D-E-D Dead), most soldiers are trained to aim at Centre of Mass, thus armouring the torso is smart, as that's where most people aim.

Hitting what you aim at, that's the hard part.

That said, I'd likely think that Armoured Jackets have some armour on the arms, if for nothing else but for blocking melee attacks without worrying about your fleshy bits. This is also why almost all of my characters buy Forearm Guards, which have been around since the Street Samurai Catalog. Nas has a set along with Shin Guards that are external and right out of Combat Biker (Just like his boots.).
ShadowPavement
I imagine that the standard SR armored jacket would be a combination of this, and an average armored motorcycle jacket (cordura or thick synth-leather) with hard plates on the back, shoulders, elbows and forearms. In combination with the ballistic protection around the torso would definitely give that 8/6 armor rating.
hobgoblin
I think that is from the same Israeli company that makes a bullet-resistant briefcase that one can use as a "shield".

Bingo, Hagor Industries.

mentioned briefcase: http://www.hagor.com/HTMLs/galleryW4.aspx?...3&BSP=12188

and their protective clothing line: http://www.hagor.com/HTMLs/galleryW4.aspx?...8&BSP=12188
CanRay
I'm reminded of the Anti-Firearms groups and their "education" of the ballistic defensive properties of textbooks to handle school shootings.

That is not a good memory.
ggodo
A buddy of mine has accumulated a dozen copies of Wild Animus that he intends to line up and shoot through with his antique Mosin Nagant and the armor piercing ammunition he accidentally bought. Turns out there are potentially illegal advantages to not knowing Russian.
TheOOB
I think this would be more along the lines of armored clothing or at best armored vest level armor. The fluff in the book seems to indicate that your not fooling anyone with an SR armor jacket, just that their commonplace and legal so most people don't care.
CanRay
Hell, you could probably get military cut armoured jackets at an army surplus store like you can get a greatcoat or just a regular military jacket today.

Hope you like olive drab.
Fix-it
dear god. it's Jean jacket. save me from the 80s.

anyone wearing it deserves to be shot for poor fashion sense.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jun 20 2011, 10:55 AM) *

So you're going to shoot me now? Mine isn't Kevlar lined.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 20 2011, 08:31 AM) *
So you're going to shoot me now? Mine isn't Kevlar lined.

You'd still deserve it.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jun 20 2011, 10:55 AM) *

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a jean jacket. Honestly Fix-it, chill.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 20 2011, 11:56 AM) *
You'd still deserve it.
Yes, I'm not denying that part, but not for wearing a denim jacket. nyahnyah.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 20 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Yes, I'm not denying that part, but not for wearing a denim jacket. nyahnyah.gif

Ha ha! But really, the haircut on the guy is not helping the picture one bit. The only people I know who wear denim jackets in Southern California are Harley riders with Napoleonic complexes. You know, the same ones who don't wear real helmets but then need either a big windscreen or a bandana over their face because wind, at 80+ MPH, is really not comfortable. (The smart ones of us, aside from not riding Harleys, wear full face helmets and riding leather)
CanRay
What's wrong with a Harley?
Christian Lafay
I agree. I like my Harley. And to me the only thing that looks stupider than a windshield is a full dresser, and I only use glasses to replace my windshield. I need something for piece of mind. Not a two-wheeled car. And by the by, full helmets tend to cause more damage than "brain buckets".
X-Kalibur
They also tend to not require debridement of your face. But in terms of protecting your noggin, as long as it's SNELL approved it will do a perfectly fine job of impact protection... provided you don't get unlucky and go chin first.
Christian Lafay
The problem is that most full-helms are not perfectly sized, much like bras, because people simply get what fits as opposed to the correct size. So the true damage lies not to the head but to the neck. And personally I would prefer to look like Deadpool than roll around like Stephen Hawking.
CanRay
But that's how he rolls.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 20 2011, 11:38 AM) *
The problem is that most full-helms are not perfectly sized, much like bras, because people simply get what fits as opposed to the correct size. So the true damage lies not to the head but to the neck. And personally I would prefer to look like Deadpool than roll around like Stephen Hawking.

The neck injury can happen in either case, based upon how you land, and if you've never had road rash, you might re-think the part about looking like Deadpool. I've been riding for over 10 years now and I've had 2 helmets in that time. I thankfully have never gone down, but both of my helmets did fit correctly. You do make a good point that I will not argue about that.

I did, while doing clinicals in an ER, see a guy who got degloved by a truck. It was totally bizarre. He hadn't been wearing any helmet (tsk) and just to look at him he looked fine... until you realized his scalp was really attached. But lets face it, if you go down at a good speed, you will get hurt. Hell, even if you don't go down I've got some good chips along my helmet from road rocks, alot of them in the chin and jaw area. Hitting locusts is no fun either, even with a reinforced jacket on.
hobgoblin
Consider what a bird can do with airplane at speed, and that involves reinforced glass and metal at the planes side.

Velocities do crazy things with the energy of objects having a meet and greet.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 20 2011, 02:56 PM) *
Hell, even if you don't go down I've got some good chips along my helmet from road rocks, alot of them in the chin and jaw area. Hitting locusts is no fun either, even with a reinforced jacket on.

These are the reasons I'll never get a motorcycle. I have no desire to headbutt a locust at 60 MPH. wobble.gif
KarmaInferno
I wear a denim jacket. With a built in denim hoodie.

It's comfortable, so all you guys who don't like it can suck a lemon.

smile.gif

-k
KCKitsune
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 20 2011, 03:20 PM) *
I wear a denim jacket. With a built in denim hoodie.

It's comfortable, so all you guys who don't like it can suck a lemon.

smile.gif

-k

Hey, Karma, I've got a light jean jacket that I use in the fall, so I'm with you.
Yerameyahu
As long as you're comfy. smile.gif Looking good isn't necessarily important.

Ditto for motorcycles: as long as you're happy. Statistically avoiding death and dismemberment isn't necessarily important. biggrin.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 20 2011, 01:29 PM) *
As long as you're comfy. smile.gif Looking good isn't necessarily important.

Ditto for motorcycles: as long as you're happy. Statistically avoiding death and dismemberment isn't necessarily important. biggrin.gif

Motorcycles aren't about IF you will get injured, it's more about when.

And heck, even I own clothes that I could deserve to be shot in. Like my old man sweater/jacket. It's so comfy and warm! But it totally looks like something The Dude would wear.
Bigity
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 20 2011, 03:45 PM) *
But it totally looks like something The Dude would wear.

I'm not sure what the problem is there biggrin.gif
Christian Lafay
When it all comes down to style there is no question, just dealing with ridicule and not caring 'cause you like it. My colors are on a silk waistcoat and my brothers used to give me shit for riding in it. And I have been laid down. My left arm won't be modeling watches anytime soon, haha.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 20 2011, 03:45 PM) *
But it totally looks like something The Dude would wear.
The Dude abides.
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 20 2011, 04:02 PM) *
When it all comes down to style there is no question, just dealing with ridicule and not caring 'cause you like it. My colors are on a silk waistcoat and my brothers used to give me shit for riding in it. And I have been laid down. My left arm won't be modeling watches anytime soon, haha.
Silk has some good properties to it that are a hell of a lot better than synthetics, that's for damned sure!
X-Kalibur
There is nothing at all wrong with silk. It's a fabulous material that should be used more often. Said sweater/jacket is actually 50+% silk with the remainder being cotton and wool.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jun 20 2011, 11:07 PM) *
There is nothing at all wrong with silk. It's a fabulous material that should be used more often. Said sweater/jacket is actually 50+% silk with the remainder being cotton and wool.

I agree, but how many patches do you see that aren't on leather or denim? Haha. Sounds like an awesome Mr. Rogers jacket.
CanRay
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 20 2011, 06:20 PM) *
I agree, but how many patches do you see that aren't on leather or denim? Haha. Sounds like an awesome Mr. Rogers jacket.
Actually, he wore Cardigan Sweaters.

Damn, now I'm getting an idea for a gang of middle-aged RUBs wearing designer armoured cardigans with patches on them roaming the suburbs and raising hell with any other gangs that try to work the territory. Hell's Neighborhood Watch, essentially.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 21 2011, 12:04 AM) *
Damn, now I'm getting an idea for a gang of middle-aged RUBs wearing designer armoured cardigans with patches on them roaming the suburbs and raising hell with any other gangs that try to work the territory. Hell's Neighborhood Watch, essentially.

Damn, now I imagine a bunch of stuffed up people with bad HA'-va'd University accents going rolling aroung and teaching those rival gents a lesson.
CanRay
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 20 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Damn, now I imagine a bunch of stuffed up people with bad HA'-va'd University accents going rolling aroung and teaching those rival gents a lesson.
Mobile portion of the ShadowSkool?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012