Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real life Barrens resort!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
naga-nuyen
I saw this and thought....wow. It gives me a visual of what can happen to the Barren area around Seattle and I thought I could share it.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/photos/grossing...lideshow/#crsl=

Have a great day runners
hobgoblin
Makes me think of Count Zero.
Redjack
Excellent.
KCKitsune
Paging through the slide show was kinda creepy. It was like looking at a corpse.
pbangarth
Looks cool, though I have a sense of the "Barrens" having less green stuff.
naga-nuyen
I think in Seattle the green comes with the weather conditions. I moved out of the home I grew up in up in a nice area outside Issaquah and when I drove by 10 years later found out that it had been turned into a rental property...at some point they stopped maintaining the Spanish style roof and It was moss covered and had a small boy sized tree growing from the roof.....and people still lived there!
nezumi
Yeah, reading the information in the books, the 'barrens' are a lot emptier than I originally imagined. I was initially thinking the barrios around Caracas or Rio, or maybe the slums of SE DC. But given the data we're given, these pictures seem a lot more accurate (+ a ghoul hiding in the shower stall).
CanRay
Very nice, thank you for the link!

When playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, going through the Chernobyl stage, Pripyat gave me a real feeling of how the Barrens probably was, especially when "Bad Things" were about to go down and the area got deserted quite quickly! (Which, in the stage, was actually what was happening.).

The part about the children also creeped me the hell out, and gives me ideas about ghosts and spirits of man that might make up parts of the Barrens if disturbed or summoned. (I used part of that in my "Pup The Dog Shaman" story.).

I also have some pics somewhere from a Abandoned Toronto Industrial Sector that fits nicely as well. Have to see if I can find them again.
imperialus
Yeah, one thing that took me a long time to wrap my head around regarding Redmond at least is that until 2030ish it was a really nice area of town. I mean that's where you live in today if you work for a software company and pull 200K a year. According to Wikipedia at least, the median income of Redmond today is 82K/year. The national average is 50K.

How this translates into Shadowrun is that you have squatters living in million dollar homes that have gone to hell. I'm talking sorting trash on a granite countertop and washing blood off in an italian marble sink. It creates an interesting contrast thats for sure.
CanRay
QUOTE (imperialus @ Jun 22 2011, 09:18 AM) *
How this translates into Shadowrun is that you have squatters living in million dollar homes that have gone to hell. I'm talking sorting trash on a granite countertop and washing blood off in an italian marble sink. It creates an interesting contrast thats for sure.
I can now see a Barrens Magical Pimp luxuriating in a Hot Tub that's heated by a low-powered fire elemental underneath it and a low-powered wind spirit providing the jets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012