Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone want a memory upgrade?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fyndhal
http://www.geekologie.com/2011/06/brains-s...nsion-slots.php

Dr. Berger's description is almost frightening:

"Flip the switch on, and the rats remember. Flip it off, and the rats forget [...] These integrated experimental modeling studies show for the first time that with sufficient information about the neural coding of memories, a neural prosthesis capable of real-time identification and manipulation of the encoding process can restore and even enhance cognitive mnemonic processes.
Nebular
Frighteningly like Johnny Mnemonic. Wonder if they have to worry about fatal data seepage? I suppose real life Skillsofts are becoming a greater possibility. smile.gif
KCKitsune
Well... that's interesting. I wonder if the design team were Shadowrun players.

Player 1: You know what would cool?
Player 2: OK, what would be cool?
Player 1: It would be cool we could have real life knowsofts.
Player 2: OK, how would you design them?
Player 1: Here's how I would start the research... <insert tech talk here>
Player 2: Whoa!!! You might be on to something!
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Nebular @ Jun 21 2011, 06:45 PM) *
Frighteningly like Johnny Mnemonic. Wonder if they have to worry about fatal data seepage? I suppose real life Skillsofts are becoming a greater possibility. smile.gif

I still prefer the way he transferred data in the book, nice and simple. And I'm still hoping for something closer to Dollhouse.
Headshot_Joe
Wait, wait, wait... They said they were doing it to monkeys next? This is how Planet of the Apes begins...
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Jun 21 2011, 07:46 PM) *
Wait, wait, wait... They said they were doing it to monkeys next? This is how Planet of the Apes begins...

It's ok. I have faith in Caesar.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Jun 21 2011, 02:46 PM) *

Yeah, but you can shoot the monkeys before they get out of hand.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 21 2011, 03:54 PM) *
It's ok. I have faith in Caesar.

Nah, Caesar was a jerk. spin.gif

Oh, and guys, this isn't "storing memories." It's actually just a computerized hippocampus. It's basically WinZip for the brain. It's handling the encoding/decoding portion of long term memory, it's not actually the storage device itself.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 21 2011, 08:00 PM) *

It's cool, we already got the problem in check.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 21 2011, 03:00 PM) *

Oh, and guys, this isn't "storing memories." It's actually just a computerized hippocampus. It's basically WinZip for the brain. It's handling the encoding/decoding portion of long term memory, it's not actually the storage device itself.

Yeah, but if you can handle the encoding/decoding long term memory, then how long until you can have skillsofts/knowsofts/linguasofts?
Stahlseele
creepyy x.x . .
Bushw4cker
I'm not going to do it. I don't want to lose the essence, in case my magic abilities awaken soon...
Headshot_Joe
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jun 21 2011, 03:45 PM) *
I'm not going to do it. I don't want to lose the essence, in case my magic abilities awaken soon...

Yeah, but won't you awaken to a Magic rating of 1 and have to work your way up anyhow? Might as well lose the <0.5 essence, get the chip, learn and remember tons of spells easily, and initiate after boosting your Magic to it's new max of 5...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jun 21 2011, 05:45 PM) *

What Headshot_Joe said... so go crazy on the 'Ware and have fun.

I would so get a commlink, cybereyes, cyberears, enhanced articulation, and a sleep regulator... It would make my life so much nicer.
Draco18s
See, I don't want implants, because I'm going to turn into a drake and I don't want bits falling out.
StevenAngier
Not if he Awakens and doesn't recognize. Dumas is still more than 10 years away. Thus he could awake, get his ware and burn out right before he discovers he once HAD the potential.
KCKitsune
Hence the reason you don't go with a whole lot of 'Ware. Get the fun stuff (commlink & sleep regulator) and then wait.
CanRay
Considering the nature of my brain and it's condition (Let's just say I'm not getting the damage deposit back.), I don't think cramming anything new in there will be a good idea...
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 21 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Considering the nature of my brain and it's condition (Let's just say I'm not getting the damage deposit back.), I don't think cramming anything new in there will be a good idea...

CanRay: I'm suing! Your tech messed up my brain so I'm not able to properly function in society!
Rep: Sir, were you able to properly function in society?
CanRay: .........I'm suing!
CanRay
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 21 2011, 06:57 PM) *
CanRay: I'm suing! Your tech messed up my brain so I'm not able to properly function in society!
Rep: Sir, were you able to properly function in society?
CanRay: .........I'm suing!

I'm Canadian, not from the US. nyahnyah.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 21 2011, 08:21 PM) *
I'm Canadian, not from the US. nyahnyah.gif

Which automatically adds 20 pts to that bad condition IQ, anyway.
Stahlseele
Well, maybe once i've become my old/actual 3,5m tall self again, i will be thick enough to actually consider something like this . .
Fyndhal
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Jun 21 2011, 03:46 PM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeCri3eMEk...ture=grec_index
eyeBliss
The paper is interesting from a methods perspective, but there really isn't that much new here. Neural ensemble recording, decoding and reconstruction have been around for awhile. All they've done here is record firing patterns during a simple closed loop task, and then artificially recreated/enhanced these patterns when desired. The neural prosthesis used is pretty cool, but all of the signal processing is being done by an external computer, not the implant. I'll be interested to see this tried in a primate. I've done some neural recording/reconstruction from monkeys researching processes related to category creation, and they present some interesting challenges. Below is a link to the full text article, which is freely available as it was published within the last 30 days. You'll have to create an account to view it.

http://iopscience.iop.org/1741-2552/8/4/04..._8_4_046017.pdf
Mongoose
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 21 2011, 09:00 PM) *

If you are "encoding memories", how are you not storing them? The storage location is fairly irrelevant, as long as you can retrieve / use them.
However, its unclear that you can use the techniques to create artificial memory / learning. It looks like the technology just shuffles info from one place to another, without any understanding of its meaning, or ability to create / alter the meaning. Still, getting your hardware in the loop in a meaningful way is the first step to figuring out what the signals mean.
CanRay
Fine fine, I'll get it installed.

I can count to potato!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Jun 25 2011, 02:20 PM) *
If you are "encoding memories", how are you not storing them? The storage location is fairly irrelevant, as long as you can retrieve / use them.

Bus versus hard drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012