Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR weirdness in RL
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_18337415

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylv...ebombing_1.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20...=more-like-this

These artlicles all talk about the baby sister of a conviceted Philly drug kingpin who was arrested wednesday. She is charged with murder/witness intimidation for burning down the house of a witness against her brother who is serving a life sentence.

Now this is the weird part, becasue I'm sure we can all find simialr stories in out back yards. This came to my attention because while this sounds like your typical street thuggery, she was arrested at her nice , safe, cushy corp job in Fort Washington PA. I know because she worked in the same corp and the same Department as my husband at Prudential.

She was arrested at work, in the office, by FBI agents. Yuo don't think of drug dealers and assassins working in an office, unless you play SR and think- yeah that's about right. My husband was pleased by all this if only because for once he could top me in weird tales of the office, I mean I've done werid stuff in my day but never had Federal Agents arrest someone in the office

Fix-it
on first readthrough I thought the woman arrested WAS the drug kingpin. was impressed that she could fit both jobs into her life, and that banking and being a crimelord use similar skills biggrin.gif . then I re-read. yay reading comprehension.

so she's the sister of a mobster. not surprising. organized crime loves to cloak itself in a veneer of legitimacy. (see: Las Vegas). surprised she got involved though, don't they have thugs to do the blackmailing and general intimidation?
CanRay
You don't think about criminals having any kind of job, until you remember how they got Capone. His lifestyle did not live up to his "Occupation" (His business card advertised him as a used furniture salesman.).

I've heard of a number of people, lower down on the totem pole of crime, working on high-paying, hard jobs to "Explain" their lifestyle that's actually paid for by criminal enterprises. It also gets them out of town at convenient times if the heat is on for completely legitimate reasons. After all, can't really fault someone for going to an oil rig in the middle of the ocean when he does contract work, and the next contract might be six months off.

QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jun 24 2011, 09:14 PM) *
organized crime loves to cloak itself in a veneer of legitimacy. (see: Las Vegas).
Heh. Heh heh heh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Vegas, legitimate, right. Actually, OK, it's true. Thing is, it's not a veneer. They made it legal, so they can't even be nailed for what they're doing. nyahnyah.gif (The rest that went on in Vegas, on the other hand.).
Snow_Fox
Right, John Gotti, the 'tephlon don' of New York wasl isted as a plumber but was always seen in expensive suits, never really working. Ironically his son in law, Carmine Agnello was a mechanic as well as a mobster, he actually enjoyed the work and was very good. When he came to trial a large number of NYC judges had to recuse themselves because they had used his services as a mechanic- He was so good they recommended him to friends.

But you don't expect someone like this in my husband's office, and if she organized the hit I think we can say she was more that just associated with the criminals, this really seemed like the nice people in the Renraku office finding out the receptionist is a razor girl.
CanRay
It's where I'd hide the "Special Operatives". That and the mail room.

After all, who the hell cares about those people, they'd be just about near invisible.

EDIT: I'd also hide the Shadowrunning money in the petty cash of the Soykaf Funds.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I'm amused at SF being surprised by this. She works in a financail office in RL and gives people advice on investments, wears a suit everyday to work and in the past she's done bill collecting, been a body guard, and still carries a gun.

But I think she has a point for the violent criminal. This woman who was arrested is accused of the sort of homocidal horror you think of as gang bangers in the barrens committing, not suit wearing corpers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jun 29 2011, 07:53 AM) *
I'm amused at SF being surprised by this. She works in a financail office in RL and gives people advice on investments, wears a suit everyday to work and in the past she's done bill collecting, been a body guard, and still carries a gun.

But I think she has a point for the violent criminal. This woman who was arrested is accused of the sort of homocidal horror you think of as gang bangers in the barrens committing, not suit wearing corpers.

Still Carries a Gun? A Woman after my own heart. wobble.gif
hobgoblin
I think it is not so much surprise as amusement about the SR-ness of the whole thing.

Seriously, if one keep ones eyes open there is a whole lot of SR-like events happening. Most of them outside of NA and Europe tho. Really, i just wait for the day that they crack the DNI nut. At that point we may well soon see cybered up special forces doing raids in various places, and the net becoming a real battleground.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 29 2011, 10:33 AM) *
Really, i just wait for the day that they crack the DNI nut. At that point we may well soon see cybered up special forces doing raids in various places, and the net becoming a real battleground.

Considering stux.net it is already happening, just not in VR or AR mode.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jun 29 2011, 09:53 AM) *
...and in the past she's done bill collecting, been a body guard, and still carries a gun.
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Still Carries a Gun? A Woman after my own heart. wobble.gif
Better to have and not need, than...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 29 2011, 09:44 AM) *
Better to have and not need, than...

Indeed... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012