Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hestaby/Mt. Shasta
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rlemansky
Greetings.

It's my understanding that the name of the Great Dragon, Hestaby, comes from a Shasta soda ad-'Has ta be Shasta.' Or something to that effect.

Within the game, do you think that she chose the name for that reason? I realize that the game designer who came up with her probably came up with the name, in reference to the ad. BUT, if the SR world is anything like RL in regards to a common history, then she MAY have known of the ad, and liked the pu (or whatever you'd call it). Perhaps her Real Name, or one of her titles, is similar, and so she went with it.

She may also have a twisted sense of humor and like the idea of it. If she doesn't know about the ad tie-in, imagine being the one who discovers it and informs her. I can see it now:Shadowsnoop does a Matrix crawl to uncover more about Hestaby and her Mt. Shasta lair-her spelling's a bit sloppy (not enough soykaf) and she stumbles across a Food History site. the rest is history (along with Shadowsnoop-R.I.P.)

Any opinions?
toturi
I think it is like some sort of OOC joke thing, not an IC one. So she won't know about it. Afterall, Shasta Orange soda >> Orange Queen? Come on, gimme a break.
mfb
...that's absolutely hilarious.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (toturi)
I think it is like some sort of OOC joke thing, not an IC one. So she won't know about it. Afterall, Shasta Orange soda >> Orange Queen? Come on, gimme a break.

I have a vague recollection of someone making the assertion that one of the first things Hestaby saw upon awakening in the 6th age was an advertisement for Shasta, and decided to use it for her identity. Couldn't begin to tell you the source (one of the novels maybe?) and the guy may have been full of shit... but yeah.
John Campbell
I suspect it's an IC joke. Hestaby has always struck me as being one of the few past-Agers with an actual sense of humor. (Dunkelzahn's one of the others, as his will aptly demonstrates. Harlequin thinks he's funny, but isn't.)
Abstruse
The Laughing Man is hilarious and I will not abide anyone saying otherwise!! Knowing Hestaby though, it might be an IC joke too...

The Abstruse One
rlemansky
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the input. From what I can gather about the Dragon, she DOES have a sense of style and humour, so it might just be up her alley.

But, does anyone KNOW, I mean, have a canon source or is able to at least ask one of the developers? I know it's a minor detail, but it's driving me mad.

Again, I can imagine-a mover and shaker with a new seat on the Tir council (for what THAT's worth these says), and some news reporter puts two and two together (Hes-ta-by + Shasta Orange Soda = Pretty Funny Bit Of Fluff News On A Slow Day). Imagine the runners hired to deal with the reporter-a fuming (bad pun) dragon hollering for her blood. Truly a run to remember.

Thanks.

R
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (rlemansky @ Mar 28 2004, 12:12 PM)
the rest is history (along with Shadowsnoop-R.I.P.)

Any opinions?

eek.gif Orange Queen waxing someone who learned too much?! Unthinkable!!!!!

er... wait, maybe it *is* thinkable... biggrin.gif
Hot Wheels
She probably knows but if anyone is impertinant enough to tell her, she might take it that they are laughing at her or think they're smarter than she, generally not a good idea with a great dragon.
toturi
QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
She probably knows but if anyone is impertinant enough to tell her, she might take it that they are laughing at her or think they're smarter than she, generally not a good idea with a great dragon.

I thought of a great geas for those Shasta Shamans: Must drink Shasta Orange soda once per 24 hours!

The Shasta Orange soda is the proud sponsor and official drink of the Shasta Shamans!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012