Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New and improved troll MBT
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kerbarian
After looking at how much armor I could pack onto a starting character (previous thread), I expanded a bit to also include magical defense, and I ended up with even more armor!

The character now has 38/32 armor in full kit (with no encumbrance), halves the force of incoming spells, and then has 25 dice (minimum) to resist them.
In nothing more than a bulky armor jacket (with lots of armor layered underneath), his armor is 26/22.

The remaining vulnerabilities I can think of are possession (maybe other critter powers?) and toxins. Is there anything that helps significantly against either of those? You can get some more dice on toxin resistance, but as far as I can tell armor (and armor mods) do nothing to stop dart guns.

Anyway, the pieces of the build relevant to armor and spell defense are:
Metatype: 45 BP (Fomori)
Attributes: 115 BP (Body 11, Willpower 6)
Skills: 32 BP (Counterspelling 7)
Magic: 65 BP (Magic 6, reduced to 5 by Essence)
  • Adept power: Mystic Armor 5
  • Adept power: Spell Resistance 5
Qualities: 35 BP
  • Adept
  • Restricted Gear x2 (SWAT armor, Counterspelling Focus)
  • Class I SURGE (Dermal Deposits)
  • Mentor Spirit (Mountain, +2 Counterspelling)
  • Aptitude (Counterspelling)
Resources: 36 BP
  • SWAT armor + helmet (9,200¥) with Gel Packs (1,500¥), Softweave (900¥), Nonconductivity 6 (1,200¥)
  • Form-fitting body armor, full suit (1,600¥)
  • Securetech PPP, all pieces except helmet (900¥)
  • Ballistic shield (1,500¥)
  • Genetic Optimization (Body) (45,000¥)
  • Orthoskin 3 (90,000¥)
  • Counterspelling Focus 5 (25,000¥)
Machiavelli
If this would be a playable character, not only a model for theoretical calculations, i would be impressed. So...i am not.^^
hobgoblin
Too bad you had to go magic to resist magic. That seems to be one of the irks of some people, that there are few ways for mundanes to put up a proper defense against magic.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 30 2011, 11:21 PM) *
If this would be a playable character, not only a model for theoretical calculations, i would be impressed. So...i am not.^^

Yeah, this build is definitely spending an inordinate number of BP on defense. If I were to use it as the basis for a character I might actually play, I'd probably drop the core to something like:

Armor 30/26, half force on incoming spells, and 12 (minimum) spell resistance dice. That sets you up as a full mage with amazing defenses and 202 BP left to spend:
Metatype: 45 BP (Fomori)
Attributes: 105 BP (Body 11, Willpower 5)
Skills: 16 BP (Counterspelling 4)
Qualities: 25 BP
  • Magician
  • Class I Surge (Dermal Deposits)
  • Restricted Gear (SWAT armor)
Resources: 7 BP
  • SWAT armor + helmet (9,200¥) with Gel Packs (1,500¥), Softweave (900¥), Nonconductivity 6 (1,200¥)
  • Counterspelling Focus 3 (15,000¥)
Thanee
Full Mage is good, since it is hardly certain, that Adepts can Counterspell (IMHO no they cannot).

Bye
Thanee
Elfenlied
You need to be a Mystic Adept or a Magician to Counterspell. Normal Adepts can't do it.
Tycho
Beginners mistake:

loose alle the armor gear and take instead:
33 Form Fitting Fullbody Armors with softweave and costum fitting (if you play without optional rules, then you can "only" take 22 Form Fiting Fullbody Armors)
-> they all only encumber for 1 Impact because ballistic is reduced to 0.
In the end you have 198Bal/66Impact (or 132Bal/44Impact without the optional rule) and this is without the Ware, Qualities and Spells.

cya
Tycho
suoq
QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 1 2011, 01:39 AM) *
If I were to use it as the basis for a character I might actually play, I'd probably drop the core to something like:

• Counterspelling Focus 3 (15,000¥)

Is the goal of this character to attract attention wherever they go? I honestly don't get what you're going for. How does walking around in SWAT armor with a helmet, ballistic shield, and a focus 3 glowing like a neon sun in the astral play out at your table?
Faelan
Looks like someone wants to get hit with a flamethrower.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 1 2011, 05:32 AM) *

Indeed... wobble.gif
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 1 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Never use a flamethrower in a system with called shots, target zones and (critical) glitches. It never ends well...
CanRay
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jul 1 2011, 07:32 AM) *
Nuke 'em from orbit, only way to be sure.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 1 2011, 06:30 AM) *
Nuke 'em from orbit, only way to be sure.

A Thor Shot should cover it... Far less collateral damage involved. smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 1 2011, 03:28 PM) *
Never use a flamethrower in a system with called shots, target zones and (critical) glitches. It never ends well...

Target zones?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 1 2011, 10:12 AM) *
A Thor Shot should cover it... Far less collateral damage involved. smile.gif

And without all that pesky radiation to boot.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 1 2011, 07:24 AM) *
And without all that pesky radiation to boot.

Indeed... Makes Cleanup simple. wobble.gif
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 1 2011, 08:01 AM) *
Is the goal of this character to attract attention wherever they go? I honestly don't get what you're going for. How does walking around in SWAT armor with a helmet, ballistic shield, and a focus 3 glowing like a neon sun in the astral play out at your table?

I do think that the role of an MBT is indeed to attract attention, and therefore fire, which he can hopefully resist better than others in his party who can then be designed as "glass cannons", shirking defenses in exchange for more firepower, thus being able to take out enemy resistance much faster.

This is the standard in MMORPGs.

Also, this is why I prefer PnP RPGs, but I'll play the online ones as well. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 1 2011, 12:17 AM) *
Full Mage is good, since it is hardly certain, that Adepts can Counterspell (IMHO no they cannot).

Bye
Thanee

Mystic Adept can do it while still keeping the adept powers. He'd have to ditch 5BP in positive qualities though. Personally, since it's only 1 die, and tons of points all around, I'd ditch the aptitude for counterspell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012