Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shrouding
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
Shrouding
Prerequisite: Masking
The initiate learns to make his or her workings less noticeable. The threshold for Perception tests to notice spells cast by the initiate becomes [6 - spell's Force + caster's initiate grade].
LurkerOutThere
No! No! That's one of the few things that keeps magic from being more a fix all then it already is how noticeable it is, if you take that away it becomes even more of a hammer.

Elfenlied
Much needed, IMO. The 6-Force threshold is ridiculously low, especially since even cameras can notice it. At our table, this rule applies only to combat spells.
Critias
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 6 2011, 03:34 AM) *
No! No!

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 6 2011, 03:38 AM) *
Much needed, IMO.

Ah, the joys of listening to the fans and trying to make everyone happy. rotfl.gif
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 6 2011, 08:52 AM) *
Ah, the joys of listening to the fans and trying to make everyone happy. rotfl.gif

Well, playstyles vary from group to group, and it must be a PITA for most writers. Some groups, in my experience, just plain hate magic and would rather play "pure" Cyberpunk, while others see it as just another tool in a runner's toolbox.

And for what it's worth, I actually liked "Way of the Adept"
Critias
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 6 2011, 04:00 AM) *
Well, playstyles vary from group to group, and it must be a PITA for most writers.

I wasn't out to be bemoaning the poor, downtrodden, writers' lot in life, for the record. It was just impossible not to spot the...ah...mild difference of opinion expressed in the very first two posts in this thread, and want to comment on it.
Some groups, in my experience, just plain hate magic and would rather play "pure" Cyberpunk, while others see it as just another tool in a runner's toolbox.

And I'd add a third category to your two types of groups; there are some for whom magic is the real draw. They're big into urban fantasy, Harry Dresden or Anita Blake, maybe they're former World of Darkness players, that sort of thing. To some folks, Shadowrun is more "near-future plus magic, yay!" than anything else, with the cyberpunk aspects being sidelined.

I've long used the two polar extremes, "Cyberpunk plus elves," versus "D&D plus guns," personally. I'd say your "another tool in the toolbox" crew are soundly in the middle, like most players.

And for what it's worth, I actually liked "Way of the Adept"

Well, thanks. smile.gif
LurkerOutThere
I do not have a problem with magic in the setting, but I do believe 4E removed most if not all the drawbacks to magic while introducing some in universe prejudices agaisnt 'ware that just wern't there previously. From a game balance perspective mages are very very attractive right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012