Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combat pool, cyberware, and armour
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tziluthi
A street samurai, Bingo, has quickness 6, muscle replacement 2, and is wearing 9 points of impact armour which can count against his combat pool. Now, for purposes of checking for loss of combat pool, is Bingo's quickness attribute 6 or 8?

Also, can anybody give an indication of how high the temperatures for dikoting are?

And finally, if I coated a silver sword in dikote, in your opinion, would it still count for the silver allergy that shapeshifters have.
mfb
his Qui is 8. the only thing muscle replacement-granted Qui doesn't affect is Rea.

the temperature for dikoting is "hot". i believe that silver has a low enough melting point that you couldn't conceivably dikote it.
BitBasher
A street samurai, Bingo, has quickness 6, muscle replacement 2, and is wearing 9 points of impact armour which can count against his combat pool. Now, for purposes of checking for loss of combat pool, is Bingo's quickness attribute 6 or 8?
8, as Muscle replacement adds 2 quickness.

Also, can anybody give an indication of how high the temperatures for dikoting are?
It's plasma, thats really, really hot.

And finally, if I coated a silver sword in dikote, in your opinion, would it still count for the silver allergy that shapeshifters have.
Silver has a low melting point, I woudd think theres no way you could dikote it, but assuming your GM allowed it, it would do no food against Shapeshifters because the dikore covers the blade, the silver would no longer be touching them. Just my opinion tho, ultimately thats a GM call.
Tziluthi
Well, actually, 961 C isn't really all that low a melting temperature, considering that iron melts at 1500, and steel alloys usually melt around the 1300s. Lead on the other hand melts at 327 C. But if they're talking about a carbon plasma, nothing would last for too long in the dikoting furnace, considering that the stuff melts at over 3000, boils at over 4000, let alone turning it into a superheated gas. Which begs the question, what exactly are those furnaces made of?
BitBasher
Unobtanium. Or decent ceramics.
blakkie
As pointed out pure silver does have a decently high melting point. Although a bit lower than say gold (gold is easily maluable, but doesn't melt till nearly 1100ēC) or bronze (1050ēC), at 960ēC it is comparable.

As for allergies, -if- the dikote covered the entire blade area i'd no extra damage. But if it was only along the the cutting edge that was dikoted, and say 1cm back of that the silver continued to be exposed due to some sort of masking process, then the shifter is likely to come in contact with the silver. But definate contact on each successful hit? *shrug* That is a GM call. If i was a the GM i might be tempted to say resolve the damage sans silver, and then if the final result is at least M damage the blade penetrated enough to bring the silver alergy into play. *shrug*

Likewise, by not coating the entirety of the blade, instead just the cutting edge, i'd say the blade still cuts with the improved numbers, but the diokote doesn't improve the swords overall barrier numbers for being sundered or such.
Austere Emancipator
Let's just stay calm and wait for Cray74 to show up to tell us exactly how high the temperatures go in a Dikoting-type process.

From an earlier thread:
QUOTE (Cray74 @ http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=2098)
Low melting point metals like magnesium, tin, lead and aluminum will melt. The (obsolete in RL) process described for dikoting in SR takes quite a few hours, too, because the deposition rate is low so you can bet the target will reach ambient temperatures.

So, basically, ask yourself: would the object survive being heated to yellow heat for several hours on end? If the answer is "No," don't stick it in the dikoting chamber.
blakkie
"Yellow heat" refers to the temperature corrosponding to the spontaneous emiting of electromagnetic energy (in this case light) at the frequency of yellow light. To skip [actually fairly straight forward] calculations, yellow heat works out to about 4600ēC. Given that the boiling point of silver is 2200ēC, there would be nothing left but vapour if it was in that sort of heat for any amount of time. Of course the boiling point for iron is only 2700ēC, so the whole description of the Dikoting process is pretty wacked. Just like the +2(Damage+1) increase that cutting weapons get from it. twirl.gif
Eyeless Blond
Seriously out-of-date, I'd say. If the millitary can put diamond coatings on eyeglass lenses, then I'm sure silver sword-edges wouldn't be a problem smile.gif
Zazen
I just want to point out that Dikote is not diamond coating. Dikote does amazing, fantastic, incredible things. Diamond coating, on the other hand, won't triple a knifes ability to rend flesh.

Dikote is super, it's amazing, it really does require a plasma furnace and the process involves something so expensive (I like to think it requires French truffles) that 1000 bucks for 15 square inches is a steal.
BitBasher
No, wanna know why it's so expensive? you have to use bottled water in the process only.
Darkest Angel
Dikoting a silver sword eh? Here's how I'd rule it:

First off, the sword would cost a bloody fortune before dikoting, even a silver plating on a normal sword would cost a fair bit. Second, the dikoting process described in Shadowtech is about 3 versions of the process out of date so we'll ignore the heat issue, but todays processes would still coat the full blade so it wouln't help against creatures allergic to silver, unless you did decide to mask the blade so only the cutting edge was coated, you'd still pay full price for the coating because of the substantial wastage, but given the costs involved in the process that it only fair. If you did do that, then I'd implement the Macauitl rule to see if the dikote came off when attacking with it since it wouldn't be a continuous crystaline structure over the blade, which combined with it's thinness and brittleness gives it very many potential very weak points. Heck, removing the mask if not done very carefully could turn the coating to dust.

Assuming you went along with all that, which is fair given the bounds of reality, I'd be happy to give you the full benefits of a dikoted sword with added silver allergy, perhaps a roll of 1 on a single D6 after checking the dikote didn't come off would mean the silver miraculously didn't contact the critter. Obviously if the coating came off, you'd loose the power and damage bonus for every strike after that, but still get the silver bonus.

For me, the insanely high cost is down to the process being a big industrial scale thing for the most part where economy of scale makes a collosal difference, sort of 'order 1 box for $50, or 1,000 boxes for $10 each, so in SR terms where most characters want 1 or 2 pokey little things doing it costs a fortune, but when you want 50 million razorblades doing it costs next to nothing comparably.
Arethusa
No, Dikote really is just a diamond coating. Thing is, for us, it may not seem so special, but as it turns out, the Awakening had a side effect of making all diamonds very mean. As a result, they really hurt when they cut through you and are capable of bending and flexing with a blade because they're really out to get you. Give it a few years and you'll see what I mean.

Christ, I need to go get some sleep. 06.26 is not a normal bedtime.
CardboardArmor
Hey, I want my flexible diamond coating. Only, what, fifty-nine more years to go? I got a whole line of things I need dikoted anyway.
Backgammon
Who said it was flexible?
Moonwolf
Swords flex when they hit hard objects, like (meta)human bones, or doors, or any of the other crazy things that Dikote™ lets you cut through like butter. Therefore, Dikote™ creates a flexible diamond layer on the sword.
hobgoblin
or maybe the word dikote dont talk about diamonds in the chemical sense but instead being hard like a diamond smile.gif remeber that in a cyberpunk world marketing is everything.

hmm, why did i picture a rubber sword when a read that it flexes? any edge that flexes to mutch is a useless edge as the force put behind it is used to flex the blade rather then to force the opposing material apart. so maybe the prosess makes the edge more rigid so that its can more directly transfer the force onto the opposing material?
TheScamp
any edge that flexes to mutch is a useless edge as the force put behind it is used to flex the blade rather then to force the opposing material apart.

The vast majority of a sword's flexing happens perpendicular to the edge. In other words, it flexes side to side, and not up and down. (Assuming the edge is pointing down.) Flex in a sword is a very good thing; one most certainly does not want one that is perfectly rigid, unless it happens to be made of some super strong metal that will never ever crack, chip, or break.

Therefore, Dikote™ creates a flexible diamond layer on the sword.

Or, it needs to be re-applied at certain intervals once it's cracked and flaked off enough to become ineffective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012