Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Natural Venoms?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DamienKnight
QUOTE (rc p.113)
If the character also possesses the Natural Venom quality (p.
115) or has a chemical gland (p. 68, Augmentation) implanted in
the tongue or within the oral cavity, the tongue can be used to
apply the substance with a successful touch-only attack (p. 148,
SR4) using the Exotic Melee Weapon: Frog Tongue skill.

What are natural Venoms? What toxins can be used with frog tongue? Looking through the Toxins in SR4a, I am only seeing ones that seem like man-made toxins.
BishopMcQ
I'd check Running Wild in the mundane critters for Venom. As a baseline -- power of 6, Injection (1 Min) I believe.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 6 2011, 04:09 PM) *
I'd check Running Wild in the mundane critters for Venom. As a baseline -- power of 6, Injection (1 Min) I believe.
Injection venom do not work with frog tongue... its a touch attack. Surely they had some kind of venom in mind when they made this...
jizo
is there anything stating that a person couldn't choose a venom from running wild such as Stonebinder spit (6P, vector contact, 1 combat turn) p106, or does anything with any hint of magic not qualify, as I see nothing that states the venom from awakened creatures would, as a matter of course be excluded, as they are naturally occurring (now).
or
Hellbender venom (Vector: Contact, Speed: Immediate, Power: 6,
Effect: Paralysis)

if only mundane
Man O War Venom p. 89
Cobra Venom injection 8p 1 combat turn

or just looking at mainly natural toxins
arsenic
Atropine
Naga Venom
Ekyelebenle Venom
Nova Scorpion Venom injection again
White Star - a mix of two gasses that can occur naturally (I believe)
on a quick look at wikipedia for phosgene gas, small amounts occur naturally from the breakdown and the combustion of organochlorine compounds, such as those used in refrigeration systems

Chlorene ... it is abundant in nature and ... wikipedia again

Gamma-Scopolamine ... derived from Atropa Belladonna...
Yerameyahu
Awakened compounds are absolutely excluded.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Awakened compounds are absolutely excluded.
Agreed. Occuring with the aid of magic is not naturally occuring.
Yerameyahu
And don't get too tricky with 'naturally-occurring'. Basically everything in existence is 'naturally-occurring', though impossibly rare. I'd stick with things that are *reasonably* available from normal animals, and perhaps normal plants, and probably even very prevalent minerals and things (arsenic, for example, seems fair enough).

I understand and sympathize that the rules don't contain a wealth of viable options. *shrug*
DamienKnight
I dont see any naturally occuring venoms that do much more than 6 Physical with injection vector, 1 combat turn.

I think I will just make a rule in our group that natural venoms can have any effect, so long as they have 6 power and one combat turn to take effect. They will be considered contact vector when being used with the Frog Tongue ability.
jizo
don't forget Cobra Venom p98 running wild smile.gif 8P injection 1 combat turn
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (jizo @ Jul 7 2011, 10:59 AM) *
don't forget Cobra Venom p98 running wild smile.gif 8P injection 1 combat turn

I would think that Mamba venom would be quite similar as well...
The Jopp
You can even get it into your own bloodstream and use it on enemies while you bleed.

Natural Venom (Naga Venom - Contact poison)

Chemical Gland (Internal Release - Naga Venom)

Now add some retractable claws and you are good to go.

You'll probably need restricted gear quality for the naga venom.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 8 2011, 04:30 AM) *
You can even get it into your own bloodstream and use it on enemies while you bleed.

Natural Venom (Naga Venom - Contact poison)

Chemical Gland (Internal Release - Naga Venom)

Now add some retractable claws and you are good to go.

You'll probably need restricted gear quality for the naga venom.

And also something to avoid being contaminated by your own blood.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jul 8 2011, 05:35 AM) *
And also something to avoid being contaminated by your own blood.

Yeah, it would help if you were not affected by your own blood. smile.gif
The Jopp
Of COURSE the character would be a changeling and have the natural venom quality "Naga Venom"
Stahlseele
Fugu. Blowfish Poison.
One fish can kill 50 men. Well, if 50 men were all to eat from it at least . .
Propperly done, one Blowfish won't even feed one man, because only about 10% of it's body can be eaten without death being the consequence.
Yerameyahu
Naga are Awakened, I thought? And yeah, I'd prefer to be effective *before* I start bleeding. biggrin.gif
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 8 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Fugu. Blowfish Poison.
Propperly done, one Blowfish won't even feed one man, because only about 10% of it's body can be eaten without death being the consequence.
Great, so now I just need to get the security guards to bite off a piece of my Frog Tongue, chew up it, swallow it, then wait an hour before falling to a blissful eternal nap.

Yeah, snake venom can be up to 8P. Wish there was one that was instant, like neurostun is.

Naga venom would be from an awakened creature, so would not think it be should selectable for the Natural Venom quality.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 8 2011, 08:25 AM) *
Yeah, it would help if you were not affected by your own blood. smile.gif
Dont have to worry about being infected by your own poison. The Natural Venom quality gives you complete immunity to whatever type of poison you choose.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jul 8 2011, 08:14 AM) *
Dont have to worry about being infected by your own poison. The Natural Venom quality gives you complete immunity to whatever type of poison you choose.

Forgot about that... smile.gif
Stahlseele
Blowfish Poison can also be used to coat arrow-tips.
In SR every poison can be made touch vector too.
Also, admit it, you want to see the horror on peoples faces when you tell them you forcefully frenchkiss guards to death from 1m away with your hentai tentacle tongue . .
eyeBliss
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 8 2011, 08:02 AM) *
Fugu. Blowfish Poison.

This one actually makes some sense. Tetrodotoxin can be found across a variety of species and is produced by a bacteria that could be easily cultivated in a lab or maybe find a mutated human host. On the other hand, you would have to have an alternate version of the fast-acting sodium channel normally found in mammals or you'd kill yourself with it.
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
the poison gland or however it was called(i am at work) provided complete immunity to what it produced to the host it was implanted in, in 3rd Edition.
not sure if that was changed in SR4 . .
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 8 2011, 01:03 PM) *
*shrugs*
the poison gland or however it was called(i am at work) provided complete immunity to what it produced to the host it was implanted in, in 3rd Edition.
not sure if that was changed in SR4 . .

It doesn't, hence I said it would be probably good if you had something to protect yourself from an internal gland that spreads the venom in your blood.
Makki
there's the Natural Immunity quality in the core book
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012